Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

What were the promotional items for the film?

Here are just three items:

US Movie Poster

TSRTS27x41poster.jpg

German Half-Sheet

TSRTS16x23HalfSheetGermany.jpg

Japanese Program

TSRTSJapaneseProgram.jpg

Some complete tickets for the World Premier held Tuesday, October 19, 1976 8:30PM

at Cinema 1 60 St. New York City are also in circulation. Mine is #258.

This from the website "Turn Me On, Dead Man":

Boogie with Stu

"Boogie With Stu" on Physical Graffiti is credited to "John Bonham/John Paul Jones/Jimmy Page/Robert Plant/Ian Stewart/Mrs. Valens". "Mrs. Valens" refers to the mother of 1950s singer Ritchie Valens, of "La Bamba" fame. Ritchie Valens wrote and recorded the song "Ooh My Head" in the late-1950s. Charles M. Young asked Jimmy Page why Ritchie Valens's mother was credited on the song:

PAGE: Yeah. Let's put it this way. "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys had a credit for Chuck Berry, didn't it? I think that answers the question. It does in my book anyway.

YOUNG: It was from "Ooh My Head," right?

PAGE: Yeah. Some of the lyrics from that. Yeah. It appears. In print. Mrs. Valens.

YOUNG: So she got her little piece of Physical Graffiti?

PAGE: That was the idea right from the outset. We'd heard she'd been ripped off in the past. You should ask Robert these things, because I didn't write the words, did I?

At first glance giving Ritchie Valens's mother credit as one of the songwriters seems like a generous thing to do. But if Jimmy Page isn't comfortable answering this question, perhaps it's because the only differences between "Boogie With Stu" and "Ooh My Head" are superficial changes to the lyrics and the instrumentation and studio effects Led Zeppelin and Ian Stewart used in their performance. "Boogie With Stu" is simply a retitled performance of "Ooh, My Head". In a Guitar World interview, Page described it this way:

"Curiously enough, the one time we did try to do the right thing, it blew up in our faces. When we were up at Headley Grange recording Physical Graffiti, Ian Stewart (the Rolling Stones' unofficial keyboard player) came by and we started to jam. The jam turned into "Boogie With Stu," which was obviously a variation on "Ooh My Head" by the late Ritchie Valens, which itself was actually a variation of Little Richard's "Ooh My Soul." What we tried to do was give Ritchie's mother credit, because we heard she never received any royalties form any of her son's hits, and Robert did lean on that lyric a bit. So what happens? They tried to sue us for all of the song! We had to say bugger off. (laughs)"

So much for fairness. Page's arrogance reveals just what an afterthought crediting "Mrs. Valens" was—couldn't they at least have made some effort to find out what her name was? Having said that, Page is right about one thing, though: Ritchie Valens' "Ooh My Head" is itself largely a copy of Little Richard's song "Ooh My Soul". Little Richard recorded "Ooh My Soul" in 1957, two years before Valens recorded "Ooh My Head." The similarities between these songs strongly suggest that Valens had heard Little Richard's tune, which had peaked at #31 on the pop chart and #15 on the R&B chart. Led Zeppelin certainly wasn't the first group to lift the work of another artist without giving proper credit.

This from the website Achilles Last Stand:

Jimmy Page once told fellow British musician/author Ian Whitcomb during an interview: "Valens was my first guitar hero and I played that bridge to 'La Bamba' a thousand times." Led Zeppelin later cribbed Ritchie's "Ooh! My Head" for their own "Boogie With Stu." The band retitled the song, listing themselves as composers. On July 28, 1978, Led Zeppelin and their record company, Swan Song Records, settled amicably out of court for a reported $130,000 plus future royalties with the stipulation that the settlement's incriminating terms be kept confidential. This song was released in 1959 in Ritchie Valens' self-titled album.

Edited by SteveAJones

Hey Steve. Did the boys play at the Philadelphia Spectrum on July 19, 1973? It's listed on the tour dates but there's no info of it on the Spectrum's website. My concert files book is in storage so I can't look it up. Thanks.

What "tour itinterary" are you referring to? I have the original 1973 U.S. tour press release from the band and it's not on there and not in the Timeline.

You're probably right because I saw this on Wikipedia. Curious why they didn't schedule a stop there in 1973? They had come several times in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_...rican_Tour_1973

• 3 weeks later...

To commemorate Jeff Beck's induction as a solo artist into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame tomorrow night, I thought I'd post concerning his trials and tribulations during The Yardbirds' Page/Beck era.

It was July 1966 and Jimmy had only been in the group a couple of weeks when they were booked to perform a series of shows in Scotland. During one of these performances they were spat upon for wearing the German Cross and other foreign military medals.

On July 11-12 1966 The Yardbirds (without Jeff Beck) recorded a 60 second commercial for 'Great Shakes' beverage. Jimmy, their bassist, used Jeff's guitar for these sessions.

A gig at J.P.'s Palace in Santa Fe, New Mexico on 8/17/66 ended abruptly after two or three songs when Jeff stormed out over poor sound.

During their gig at Avalon on Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California on 8/23/66, Jeff Beck collapsed due to tonsilitis and effectively dropped out of the remainder of the tour. Their next gig was the Carousel Ballroom in San Francisco on 8/25/66, during which Jimmy took over on lead guitar. Jeff was not present; he underwent surgery for tonsilitis that weekend.

During their first gig of the Autumn '66 USA tour, at The Comic Strip in Worcester, MA on 10/21/66, Jeff smashed an amp.

There seems to be no consensus amongst The Yardbirds as to precisely when Jeff was removed from the group. In one recollection, his last gig was at the Memorial Coliseum in

Corpus Christi, Texas on 10/30/66. In another, both Dreja & Beck cite Memorial Coliseum in Dallas on 10/29/66. In a third, Jeff states he quit the first week of November '66 in Kansas (they played the Memorial Hall on 11/5/66).

Whatever the fact of the matter concerning his last gig, the 12/3/66 issue of Enland's 'New Musical Express' magazine carried manager Simon Napier-Bell's confirmation that Jeff was leaving the group for illness (mental exhaustion). Recording sessions later the same month did not include Jeff Beck.

Jeff Beck's Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech (The Yardbirds)

Waldorf-Astoria Hotel New York, NY January 15, 1992:

Edited by SteveAJones

Hmm, SteveAJones. Interestingly enough, it's also been said he went off then to see a girlfriend in Los Angeles. Also, it's well known that there was a connection between the band Love (Hendrix had actually played with Arthur Lee in 65) and there is no denying that some VERY Yardbirds guitar statements ended up on "FOrever Changes", which still stands as one of the greatest records ever made, recorded just a few months after Beck left the Yardbirds.

I have heard/read that Beck was in LA hanging out with members of Love after he quit the Yardbirds, also that he had hung out with them on earlier tours. Hendrix had actually recorded some tracks with Arthur Lee, and the British guitarists were equally attracted to the guy (Lee) pretty much universally recognized as the best rock singer in the world. They all wanted to play with Arthur Lee.

This particular Love record, which ended up being Forever Changes, was a big in deal in the music industry, which, as all the bands in California and the Yardbirds figured out eventually, didn't quite yet have its Woodstock hardon. In any case, this Love record was considered a big deal -- initially, Neil Young was signed on to be the producer of the record, and Jack Niietschke was also involved. In the end, they didn't do the record -- Bruce Botnik, the DOORS producer, made the record. It's fuckin brilliant.

So what does that have to do with Beck and Page? Well Track 2 on Forever Changes, "A House is Not a Home" is nearly verbatim the guitar solo on "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" - which is on the Roger the Engineer record the Yardbirds were touring at the time.

I'm going to argue that Beck played that solo, though it is uncredited. I'm also going to argue that Beck's idea was that he and Jimmy should go to LA and play with Arthur Lee, hence the well-reknowned story, "I'm leaving ... you coming???" -- to which Jimmy said, No.

EDIT: I'd have left with Jeff to play with Arthur Lee. Keith Relf had become horrible. He wasn't even any good any more but for his harp playing, which was always great, though it ruined the middle sections of the "Dazed and Confused" Jimmy was trying to do later on after Jeff quit. Anyway, Relf was not delivering.

I'm listening to Forever Changes right now, an album that was never played out, never toured, and the only reason most people know about it is that THe Damned covered 'Alone Again Or' -- With Jimmy and JEff, Arthur Lee would have conquered the world, and I have no doubt that was an idea that Jeff wanted to actualize. Really, at the time, 1966, everybody wanted to play with Arthur Lee.

I think the Yardbirds guitarists were all over it - Hendrix was already gone to England.

Edited by Mercurious

And Relf sucked that badly. He was not a good enough singer to be playing with those guys toward the end. It's never been said by anybody, but the fact that Beck hired Rod Stewart and Page had Plant, and both were trying to get Steve Marriot kinda says a lot. I don't think Jim McCartey on drums was cutting it either, not after they all heard Cream and Ginger and Mitch with Jimi.

But Steve, if you have anything on the Arthur Lee part of this mystery, please comment.

YOU set the scene.

I'm going to argue that Beck played that solo, though it is uncredited. I'm also going to argue that Beck's idea was that he and Jimmy should go to LA and play with Arthur Lee, hence the well-reknowned story, "I'm leaving ... you coming???" -- to which Jimmy said, No.

EDIT: I'd have left with Jeff to play with Arthur Lee. Keith Relf had become horrible. He wasn't even any good any more but for his harp playing, which was always great, though it ruined the middle sections of the "Dazed and Confused" Jimmy was trying to do later on after Jeff quit. Anyway, Relf was not delivering.

I'm listening to Forever Changes right now, an album that was never played out, never toured, and the only reason most people know about it is that THe Damned covered 'Alone Again Or' -- With Jimmy and JEff, Arthur Lee would have conquered the world, and I have no doubt that was an idea that Jeff wanted to actualize. Really, at the time, 1966, everybody wanted to play with Arthur Lee.

I've also heard Jeff's frustration on that final tour stemmed in part from wanting to be with a girlfriend in Los Angeles, however it seems one never really knows with Jeff. For

example, he had agreed to do a King Crimson/John Paul Jones/Jeff Beck package tour in 2001. He sent a fax (!) to Robert Fripp canceling his involvement a mere eight days before it was to be announced. Everything was scrapped and JPJ has not returned to

touring since then.

Insofar as the connection to Love, there are seemingly some plausible similarities, but

to insist that record features Jeff Beck on guitar would quite possibly be inflammatory

to it's many devotees, among them Robert Plant, whom calls the album a personal

favorite and has covered selections from it in concert. No, seems to me if Jeff played

on that album it would be an established fact by now. Views may vary.

I think the Yardbirds guitarists were all over it - Hendrix was already gone to England.

Not true. Arthur Lee and Love toured the UK four or five years ago playing this entire album start to finish. It was actually called "The Forever Changes Tour" and it was fucking dynamite - Lee looked like a 20 year old.

Just about everyone I know owns this album. Its nothing to do with "The Damned" either. It is considered a classic and is far, FAR better known than you give it credit for.

Edited by Knebby

Steve, you've posted this pic before but one really can't see the symbol. When I asked if it was an equal armed cross you said again, no a German cross. Out of curiosity, as this was brought up again, I blew this shot up can now see he is wearing two crosses. You probably were refering to the black one but I didn't notice it next to the shiny one, LOL!

One is an equal armed cross, of which the design appears to be of the Knights Templar (though some people refer to that as a German cross, there are many other varients as I'm sure you know) AND the other appears, at least to me, to be a Swastika (also, sadly, known as a German cross).

So if people were upset (for reasons that were unjust) it was probably over the silver pendant, not the black one.

jimmyscrosses.jpg

On that note...I find it really cool that Jimmy is wearing his talismans again. I, personally, see this as 'good things to come'. Jimmy's revving up the power ; )

jimmy-page-bw88-1.jpg

No, this one:

Scotland had fought Germany in World War I & II.

Steve, you've posted this pic before but one really can't see the symbol. When I asked if it was an equal armed cross you said again, no a German cross. Out of curiosity, as this was brought up again, I blew this shot up can now see he is wearing two crosses. You probably were refering to the black one but I didn't notice it next to the shiny one, LOL!

One is an equal armed cross, of which the design appears to be of the Knights Templar (though some people refer to that as a German cross, there are many other varients as I'm sure you know) AND the other appears, at least to me, to be a Swastika (also, sadly, known as a German cross).

So if people were upset (for reasons that were unjust) it was probably over the silver pendant, not the black one.

jimmyscrosses.jpg

On that note...I find it really cool that Jimmy is wearing his talismans again. I, personally, see this as 'good things to come'. Jimmy's revving up the power ; )

Fascinating! There does indeed appear to be a swastika on the medal to the right, yet it's rather like looking at one of those blurry b&w prints of the Loch Ness Monster! Perhaps a clearer image can be found to verify this, or an eagle-eyed collector of

World War II memrobilia can discern what medal it is.

Not true. Arthur Lee and Love toured the UK four or five years ago playing this entire album start to finish. It was actually called "The Forever Changes Tour" and it was fucking dynamite - Lee looked like a 20 year old.

Just about everyone I know owns this album. Its nothing to do with "The Damned" either. It is considered a classic and is far, FAR better known than you give it credit for.

4 or 5 years ago? That's 35 years late, isn't it? And still, it's not as though they're touring middle America with it. Even when it was released (Nov. 1967) it was more popular in UK - #24 - whereas it scarcely scratched the top 200 in the US. At the time, Lee wouldn't leave the city, thought he was going to die and the band existed "only on vinyl." They would never play any of it out, and were no longer a band by 1968. Here, if anybody even remembers The Damned, most people aren't even aware that "Alone Again Or" was a cover. Far more people have read about Love in relation to the Doors or Hendrix than have ever heard them. They might as well be The Chocolate Watch Band and haven't secured the sort of legendary cult status of The Thirteenth Floor Elevators.

It's too bad, because Forever Changes is one of the best records ever made, in my view. & if that's not Jeff Beck playing on Track 2 that's a fine imitation of the Beck/Page "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" solo. Idle fancy as it may be.

Edited by Mercurious

jimmy-page-bw88-1.jpg

Medhb...tks for revealing this...I asked about this earlier, over at Hot pic's of Jimmy....Can anyone explain a little more about this particular piece? tks.