Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Hello, sorry it's a bit late, but Robert played with the Honeydrippers at the General Wolfe in 1981 on the day that the Pope got shot. I was there queuing up and remember discussing the shooting with one of the crew. Cheers

On 6/5/2021 at 12:21 AM, zooma said:

Question? Was Robert ever invited to the Band-Aid sessions? I’ve never heard anything either pro or con on the subject. 

Pretty sure he was there at the recording of Do They Know it's Christmas. I recall watching some of the news footage at the time and he is in the background on some scenes (unless it's my mind playing tricks on me).

2 hours ago, Thestanman said:

Pretty sure he was there at the recording of Do They Know it's Christmas. I recall watching some of the news footage at the time and he is in the background on some scenes (unless it's my mind playing tricks on me).

I don’t recall seeing him in the video, perhaps you could elaborate on what scenes he was in. Possibly edited out of the final take?

I'd never heard any suggestion that Robert was present for this, either at the time or since, and a quick go on the youtubes shows he's not in either the video or the 28-minute 'making of' documentary either. Hmm. I'm thinking that the only connection he had was owning one of those same oversized blanket overcoats that half of them were wearing at the time... Happy to be proved wrong, though!

On 5/29/2021 at 10:11 AM, Paul H said:

Hello, sorry it's a bit late, but Robert played with the Honeydrippers at the General Wolfe in 1981 on the day that the Pope got shot. I was there queuing up and remember discussing the shooting with one of the crew. Cheers

i remember this well. i wasn't there, but at the time in the local paper (Coventry Evening Telegraph) the music column ran several "mystery guest at the Wolfe?' entries, which meant Planty. i went along  following one of those tips to see the DTs who he was rumoured to be getting up to play with, but he didn't. 

didn't he play there twice in that period?

On 6/7/2021 at 1:42 AM, zooma said:

I don’t recall seeing him in the video, perhaps you could elaborate on what scenes he was in. Possibly edited out of the final take?

No he definitely isn't in the video and I've searched for a while trying to confirm it but haven't been able to do as yet. I can just recall spotting him on some tv news reports at the time, he didn't appear alot and was always in the background. I guessed that as Phil Collins had recorded with him then that is how he may have been involved.

I will keep trying to find some confirmation of this, unless it was my memory playing tricks on me and I'm thinking of something else.

15 hours ago, Thestanman said:

No he definitely isn't in the video and I've searched for a while trying to confirm it but haven't been able to do as yet. I can just recall spotting him on some tv news reports at the time, he didn't appear alot and was always in the background. I guessed that as Phil Collins had recorded with him then that is how he may have been involved.

I will keep trying to find some confirmation of this, unless it was my memory playing tricks on me and I'm thinking of something else.

perhaps it is the Princes Trust 1982 concert you are referring to ?   

Princes Trust 1982 line up.jpg

On 6/9/2021 at 10:04 PM, Thestanman said:

Given what a huge star Robert was in 1985, it'd be odd if he hadn't been involved.

7 hours ago, 76229 said:

Given what a huge star Robert was in 1985, it'd be odd if he hadn't been involved.

He wasn't involved in the Band Aid single. Geldof only contacted Plant when it came to Live Aid. 

So I would say it's either Princes Trust 1982 concert  or Freddie Mercury tribute concert much later.  

I'd doubt that Robert was a 'huge star' in the UK in 1985, tbh. Most people knew who the crap pop stars on Band Aid were, but the same people would barely even have a vague memory of Big Log on TOTPs. If they even had a distant residual memory of Zeppelin from days of yore, I doubt they'd've been able to name the singer. It wasn't like the US, where Zeppelin were on the radio a lot and had some profile in wider popular culture - Zeppelin barely had any crossover fame in the UK.  They weren't like, say, the Stones, where mums and dads or the man in the pub were aware of them even if they didn't like them. Looking at the cast of clods that were on Do They Know It's Xmas, I suspect that more people would've recognised Marilyn than Robert!

On 12/3/2020 at 8:37 AM, SteveAJones said:

Possibly. One thing is for certain, and that is Led Zeppelin never stayed at the Plaza Hotel again.

1973 07 31  Philadelphia Inquirer, The (Philadelphia, PA).jpg

I'm a bit late reading this thread, but just wanted to say I think Steve meant to type that Zep never stayed at the *Drake Hotel* again, and he accidentally typed The Plaza Hotel in the response.   

Sam noted that they stayed at the Plaza in '75, '76 TSRTS premiere and '77.

(For anyone not too familiar with Manhattan, The Drake was located at Park and 56th, torn down in 2007. The Plaza still remains at 5th Avenue and 59th,  aka Central Park South.)

This thread is great reading, really enjoy reading the variety of topics on it.

Edited by Botswana

On 6/10/2021 at 5:19 AM, dave2007 said:

perhaps it is the Princes Trust 1982 concert you are referring to ?   

Princes Trust 1982 line up.jpg

Love that pic. Just check out the look on both Princess Di's face & Robert's who is standing next to her. I am sure I am making much ado about nothing however, they kinda look as if they have a secret / mutual attraction to each other. Especially as her eyes and gesture appear to be slyly favoring Robert.

Dude, Lady Di was a Durannie fan - she'd wanted to have John Taylor behind her many times and now he actually was!😉
Plus, she was only 21 there - there's no way she'd've shagged a bloke Robert's age. Oh, wait...

Edited by Brigante

On 5/29/2021 at 6:11 PM, Paul H said:

Thanks! I’ll check my files when I get home. I think the date is already established.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:39 AM, Botswana said:

I'm a bit late reading this thread, but just wanted to say I think Steve meant to type that Zep never stayed at the *Drake Hotel* again, and he accidentally typed The Plaza Hotel in the response.   

Sam noted that they stayed at the Plaza in '75, '76 TSRTS premiere and '77.

(For anyone not too familiar with Manhattan, The Drake was located at Park and 56th, torn down in 2007. The Plaza still remains at 5th Avenue and 59th,  aka Central Park South.)

This thread is great reading, really enjoy reading the variety of topics on it.

Yes! I did mean to type they never stayed at The Drake hotel again.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:21 AM, zooma said:

Question? Was Robert ever invited to the Band-Aid sessions? I’ve never heard anything either pro or con on the subject. 

Did not participate. Have never seen any confirmation he was invited but could have been.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2021 at 6:11 PM, Paul H said:

On 6/1/2021 at 8:39 AM, Paul H said:

Forgot to say that it would have been May, 1981. 

On 6/20/2021 at 8:46 PM, SteveAJones said:

Thanks! I’ll check my files when I get home. I think the date is already established.

Update: Having checked my files I now see the General Wolfe details I have are for a gig on Dec 19, 1982 that was cancelled most likely on account of ongoing studio sessions and Robert's reluctance to have the line-up begin touring in Britain. So your recollection for Wed, May 13, 1981 has been accepted as unconfirmed for further investigation.  

12 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I have read somewhere that close to Chris Cornell's death there was "talk" of a project with Jimmy Page.

Anything to that?

In my post dated September 3, 2018 to this thread I vaguely recalled they did do some casual jamming but as far as I knew none of it was recorded and it was NOT part of any Cornell/Page project, just two musicians getting on well privately and having a jam. Other than that, last I heard, in 2008 Cornell himself denied ever having participated in the Page, Jones, Jason Bonham singer auditions.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, SteveAJones said:

Update: Having checked my files I now see the General Wolfe details I have are for a gig on Dec 19, 1982 that was cancelled most likely on account of ongoing studio sessions and Robert's reluctance to have the line-up begin touring in Britain. So your recollection for Wed, May 13, 1981 has been accepted as unconfirmed for further investigation.  

There were plenty of rumours of Planty playing at the General Wolfe, Coventry, but he definitely did play there once as I have a clipping from the next weeks local paper, and remember it happening well.However I didn’t keep the date of the report. Most of the rumours came to nought. I went along one night on one of those unsubstantiated rumoured nights

On 8/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, SteveAJones said:

In my post dated September 3, 2018 to this thread I vaguely recalled they did do some casual jamming but as far as I knew none of it was recorded and it was NOT part of any Cornell/Page project, just two musicians getting on well privately and having a jam. Other than that, last I heard, in 2008 Cornell himself denied ever having participated in the Page, Jones, Jason Bonham singer auditions.

Thanks for this Thread Mr. Jones. Just awesome. I’ve read it several times. Very interesting, insightful, and informative.

it’s awesome the depth and detail you as well as all the others who have contributed to this thread and site.

Cheers Mr. Jones.