Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

• Administrators
16 hours ago, ABHouston said:

Here is a YouTube video from a 2020 podcast, in which Deborah Smith Cahan called in and discussed this (her sitting in as replacement bassist for JPJ at the Cleveland 1970 concert, because JPJ's father had died and he had to leave).   She doesn't go into much detail--nothing about what songs she played, or any interactions with the band members--and the podcast hosts unfortunately don't ask her any follow up questions.  She begins talking about this at about 32 and half minutes into this interview.

-A.B.Houston

She posted here on the forum years back, but didn't get any further details either.

https://forums.ledzeppelin.com/topic/19341-musicarnival-cleveland-7-20-69-photos/?do=findComment&comment=779301

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. 

I have a two fold question, if you please? I saw Page and Plant in Knoxville, TN on March 3rd, 1995. Firstly, do any photos exist from this show? I seem to recall a couple being used in a USA Today article, but I cant seem to find that now. Also, during the show, Robert mentions that he and Jimmy stayed in Gatlinburg (a small, touristy resort town not far from Knoxville) the night before. I was under the impression (based on previous thread comments) that the boys flew in from Atlanta to Knoxville the day of the show,. If they did stay in Gatlinburg, any idea where they stayed. My gut tells me that it was probably a private mountain cabin (as they are everywhere in Gatlinburg.)

Thanks in advance. 

21 hours ago, Chazarrelli said:

Great thread. 

I have a two fold question, if you please? I saw Page and Plant in Knoxville, TN on March 3rd, 1995. Firstly, do any photos exist from this show? I seem to recall a couple being used in a USA Today article, but I cant seem to find that now. Also, during the show, Robert mentions that he and Jimmy stayed in Gatlinburg (a small, touristy resort town not far from Knoxville) the night before. I was under the impression (based on previous thread comments) that the boys flew in from Atlanta to Knoxville the day of the show,. If they did stay in Gatlinburg, any idea where they stayed. My gut tells me that it was probably a private mountain cabin (as they are everywhere in Gatlinburg.)

Thanks in advance. 

I was there also. Second row right center.

Saw them in Atl a couple of days before in the nosebleed section after sitting in line before dawn to get tickets. Sold out in an hour.

A couple of days later we decided to go  to Knoxville to get "scalped" and stopped by a Lovemands in Cleveland TN just in case there were tickets left. The lady at the ticket register was flabbergasted when our tickets became available only minutes earlier that were returned from a radio station. 2nd Row near center stage! We ran out of Lovemands like the 2 guys allowed in by the cops in the SRTS movie!

There is a Youtube video boot of the night and the cover of the Cure's Lullaby and opening with The Wanton Song was a highlight.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:01 AM, ABHouston said:

Here is a YouTube video from a 2020 podcast, in which Deborah Smith Cahan called in and discussed this (her sitting in as replacement bassist for JPJ at the Cleveland 1970 concert, because JPJ's father had died and he had to leave).   She doesn't go into much detail--nothing about what songs she played, or any interactions with the band members--and the podcast hosts unfortunately don't ask her any follow up questions.  She begins talking about this at about 32 and half minutes into this interview.

-A.B.Houston

Thank you very much, ABHouston.

I show Cleveland concert show time was also moved from 8:30 pm to 5:30 pm to allow JPJ to make a late evening flight to London following death of Joe Baldwin (his father).

22 hours ago, Chazarrelli said:

Great thread. 

Thanks in advance. 

Frank Melfi quite likely photographed the Knoxville show and can be contacted on Facebook. I know he shot the Memphis show the following night.

The official tour itinerary booklet provided to the band, staff and crew has them flying from Atlanta's DeKalb Airport to Knoxville's McGee Airport the day of the show and checking into the Hyatt Regency. They were then to be flown from McGee Airport to Memphis International the following day for the Memphis show that night. Since the day before the Knoxville show was a day off it is quite possible Jimmy & Robert elected to deviate from published itinerary and stay in Gatlinburg instead of another night in Atlanta.     

A Knoxville concert review was published in The News-Sentinel on March 4, 1995 but unfortunately I don't currently have it on file in my archive.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 weeks later...

I saw somewhere it is rumoured that Mick Jagger plays the harmonica on Black Country Woman. Anyone have info on this?

I know this was recorded in the mobile studio in the garden of a property (that Mick owns??) using the Rolling Stones mobile studio, so he may well have been around. At one point does Robert say "go Mick" in the song? (I haven't noticed, I'll need to listen)

On 4/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, SteveAJones said:

Frank Melfi quite likely photographed the Knoxville show and can be contacted on Facebook. I know he shot the Memphis show the following night.

The official tour itinerary booklet provided to the band, staff and crew has them flying from Atlanta's DeKalb Airport to Knoxville's McGee Airport the day of the show and checking into the Hyatt Regency. They were then to be flown from McGee Airport to Memphis International the following day for the Memphis show that night. Since the day before the Knoxville show was a day off it is quite possible Jimmy & Robert elected to deviate from published itinerary and stay in Gatlinburg instead of another night in Atlanta.     

A Knoxville concert review was published in The News-Sentinel on March 4, 1995 but unfortunately I don't currently have it on file in my archive.

Speaking of Frank Melfi, do you (or anyone) know any of the particulars on how Frank was in Birmingham May 18, 1977, to capture what I consider some of the classic photos of Led Zeppelin 1977 tour?
Was this his first shoot of Zeppelin?  Did he have a portfolio the band admired? Perfect place, right time?
I know Frank and Robert have what appears to be a great relationship as friends, never mind the perks both bring to the table. But I'm curious as to how it all came about in 1977. 

5 hours ago, jabe said:

Speaking of Frank Melfi, do you (or anyone) know any of the particulars on how Frank was in Birmingham May 18, 1977, to capture what I consider some of the classic photos of Led Zeppelin 1977 tour?
Was this his first shoot of Zeppelin?  Did he have a portfolio the band admired? Perfect place, right time?
I know Frank and Robert have what appears to be a great relationship as friends, never mind the perks both bring to the table. But I'm curious as to how it all came about in 1977. 

As I recall, and as this article alludes to, Frank and Robert were already friends by '77. 

Frank Melfi: Visions of Led Zeppelin (jambands.com)

Hey Steve, be interested if you could shed any light on this.

Years ago I commented on a thread on a Detective video on YouTube. Someone else responded last week claiming to be the bass player from Detective and that they had sorted out contractual probs with Swan Song on January 1st this year.

So is Swan Song still a legal entity?! I'd assumed it had been wound up years ago.

His exact words are as follows

Jon Hyde and I are opening a new version of Detective. We, Detective, were given our full rights by Swan Song on Jan 1st. This year.

8 hours ago, 76229 said:

Hey Steve, be interested if you could shed any light on this.

Years ago I commented on a thread on a Detective video on YouTube. Someone else responded last week claiming to be the bass player from Detective and that they had sorted out contractual probs with Swan Song on January 1st this year.

So is Swan Song still a legal entity?! I'd assumed it had been wound up years ago.

His exact words are as follows

Jon Hyde and I are opening a new version of Detective. We, Detective, were given our full rights by Swan Song on Jan 1st. This year.

Swan Song records was dissolved in 1983 and is defunct. Perhaps they meant Atlantic Records. I take most You Tube comments with a huge grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

9/28/1971 Bron Y Aur Stomp, who's playing bass and who's playing mandolin? Jones is good but I don't think he's doing both.

Jones is playing the mandolin with his hands and the bass pedals with his feet. 

Ooooooh, I've been anticipating the next two 1971 nitpicks, and they're almost here! In my opinion, Page's best two shows's ever.

0_TgZkMYFmunxKSFgR.png.d2ca82794584d070ca6d6c5db49f111f.png

34 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I was assuming he used the stand up bass on 9/28 but I could be wrong.

Jones didn’t get the stand-up bass until 1973 or so - he was using a Hohner fretless at first then switched to the P-bass in June. 

15 minutes ago, ledzepfilm said:

Jones didn’t get the stand-up bass until 1973 or so - he was using a Hohner fretless at first then switched to the P-bass in June. 

Wait, didn't Phil Carson play bass at a later Zep show? Could he be filling in here?

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Wait, didn't Phil Carson play bass at a later Zep show? Could he be filling in here?

I don't think so. The bass we hear sounds more like the hum of bass pedals rather than the thump of a stand-up bass. 

Jones was already equipped with bass pedals for the acoustic set which he used in the coda of That's The Way. 

22 minutes ago, William Austin said:

I don't think so. The bass we hear sounds more like the hum of bass pedals rather than the thump of a stand-up bass. 

Jones was already equipped with bass pedals for the acoustic set which he used in the coda of That's The Way. 

Yeah, I think so. There's only about four notes being played.