Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

My original posts are 100% correct. Believe me, I'd know. Even so, I look forward to

your findings. Here are additional details:

Jimmy was staying at the Plaza Hotel in New York and he and the band were flown in a private jet to Philly and back. By the way Jimmy did not play MSG on 10/26/88 he played the Meadowlands Arena in East Rutherford, NJ. He actually happened to be battling influenza while doing that show, which he came down with in Cleveland on 10/20/88. It was his fourth since becoming ill but his performances did not suffer for it. In fact, each gig was exceptional in it's own way.

It was Meadowlands. Don't know why I said MSG. Brain fart..........

His performance were exceptional on EVERY show I have of that tour. I rememeber the Spectrum ERUPTED when he went into the Dazed and Confused jam out of The Chase! I have Cleveland and a video of Phoenix. I will find the ticket stubs whenever I get a chance.

Does anyone know the name of the artist and the name and date of the painting in this photograph? My friend and I always thought that this photo was taken at Pangbourne and the painting was one from Jimmy's collection of Pre-Raphaelite art:

JPPangbournePainting.jpg

Is it by John Millais? ,certainly takes the attention away from the flares :( .

Edited by Cecil.

Easy for you to smile, I'll probably catch hell for it! ;)

I wouldn't be angry at you for revealing that I told you that Steve - I've mentioned it on the public forums a few times before. I see no reason to keep confidences for the couple in question, except in not revealing their names for legal reasons. B)

I wouldn't be angry at you for revealing that I told you that Steve - I've mentioned it on the public forums a few times before. I see no reason to keep confidences for the couple in question, except in not revealing their names for legal reasons. B)

It was very gracious of you to have discussed this with me privately some time ago. ;)

Can you cite the interview? I did receive word via PM whom was responsible and under what premise they were allowed access to his home. I don't wish to break a confidence

on a public board but if he discussed it publicly I could verify the comments in the interview.

UPDATE: Steve...It IS in the book I referenced. I assume you have it. It's called Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man: An unauthorized biography By George Case.

It's at the bottom of pg. 219 top of pg. 220.........It states "Someone who was pretending to be a friend stole the tapes....They were staying at my house comforting my ex-wife." After this is a citation #56 which is found on in the back on pg. 258. The author cites "Tolinski, July 2003".

Hope this helps..............

UPDATE: Steve...It IS in the book I referenced. I assume you have it. It's called Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man: An unauthorized biography By George Case.

It's at the bottom of pg. 219 top of pg. 220.........It states "Someone who was pretending to be a friend stole the tapes....They were staying at my house comforting my ex-wife." After this is a citation #56 which is found on in the back on pg. 258. The author cites "Tolinski, July 2003".

brad tolinski is a frequent interviewer of jimmy page, mostly for guitar world. there is at least 5 or six interviews dating back to 1988. i don't have the 2003 interview that is being cited, however. anybody help?

Yes, I have the book, as well as the magazine interview which was originally published in the July 2003 issue of 'Guitar World' ("High Wired Act" …Led Zeppelin, the best live band in rock history by Brad Tolinski). I find the statement Jimmy made to be very peculiar.

Jimmy issued a press release in November 1986 to announce he had left The Firm to begin work on a solo album. You may recall he's always maintained he initially planned to record a double album, but says a number of his demos were among the tapes stolen.

He married his American girlfriend, Patricia Ecker in England in December 1986 and

according to Sandra Oattes, his housekeeper from circa 1977-1989, Tower House in Kensington became Jimmy's primary residence for one year only (1987).

In November 1987 Jimmy met with David Geffen and John Kalodner in London to preview his nearly complete solo album, and they signed him to a long-term recording

contract. Jimmy began promoting the album in April 1988, it was released in June 1988.

The housekeeper did not specifically cite a reason why Jimmy elected to reside in the

Tower House as opposed to Old Mill House, but I do know he had put Old Mill House

up for sale around that time (I posted photos from the original real estate portfolio to the Photo Forum some time ago). I suppose there is the remote possibility he allowed

long-time companion Charlotte Martin to stay at Old Mill House until the property sold

(it didn't, actually) but that seems far-fetched, given he and Patrica were newlyweds.

I believe what I have been told privately to be closer to the truth: insofar as Jimmy is concerned the woman (whom he refers to as "The Bootleg Queen") and male accomplice who stole the tapes were entrusted to help watch over his daughter Scarlet, who would have been around 14 years of age at the time. It's entirely plausible the woman was a friend or "source of comfort" for Charlotte Martin, and for this reason were granted

access to his home(s).

Finally, I find the quote Tolinski published to be peculiar, as it suggests Jimmy referred to Charlotte as his "ex-wife". So far as I know, they were never legally married nor did they ever wear wedding rings to suggest they were. He normally referred to her as "my lady". Perhaps Jimmy used the phrase "ex-wife" as an expedient way to summarize their complicated, long-term relationship.

Other thoughts, theories or opinions would be welcome...

Edited by SteveAJones

The tapes were stolen before 1986, I think it was around 1984/5 (I can get confirmation or Walter's Walk can provide it), and Jimmy stated in an interview when asked directly that he and Charlotte were never married - I've posted the cutting here a few times, if I have the time later today I'll search it out again.

The tapes were stolen before 1986, I think it was around 1984/5 (I can get confirmation or Walter's Walk can provide it), and Jimmy stated in an interview when asked directly that he and Charlotte were never married - I've posted the cutting here a few times, if I have the time later today I'll search it out again.

Hats Off to You, Knebby; that cutting would settle more than a few bets out there.

As you know, Charlotte was "in the picture" circa '84-'85 and an even younger Scarlet would certainly necessitate the need for help with childminding, particularly with Jimmy recording and touring with The Firm. So if in fact the theft dates back to '84-'85, it calls into question just how many, if any, "solo demos" were actually stolen. I presume from Jimmy's comments over the years the stolen demos were limited to perhaps just a few instrumental riffs or concepts, as opposed to completed compositions. Nothing of any

solo consequence surfaced in the bootleg market that I can recall. Even so, he alluded to it being a form of "rape" and of course the '80 soundboards surfaced circa early '87, one of which was actually the source for the first bootleg Led Zeppelin cd ever.

Here ya go found it in my photobucket - sadly I didn't note the name or date of the magazine where the interview appeared but since it is in my collection I can look it up one day.

interview.jpg

Edited by Knebby

Finally, I find the quote Tolinski published to be peculiar, as it suggests Jimmy referred to Charlotte as his "ex-wife". So far as I know, they were never legally married nor did they ever wear wedding rings to suggest they were. He normally referred to her as "my lady". Perhaps Jimmy used the phrase "ex-wife" as an expedient way to summarize their complicated, long-term relationship.

Jimmy doesn't wear a wedding ring (publicly, at least) now either. Hmmm

The tapes were stolen before 1986, I think it was around 1984/5

In the 80s, I went to all the "record collecting shows" on Long Island, and in November 1985 (yeah I keep notes on this stuff) bought at one of these shows a vinyl boot called "Inedits" which was studio outtakes from the fourth album. Since all the other Zeppelin boots I knew about were live material, this record piqued my interest. I don't know whether this record had been out for very long or not, but by late 1985 it seems that Jimmy's tapes had already been stolen.

In the 80s, I went to all the "record collecting shows" on Long Island, and in November 1985 (yeah I keep notes on this stuff) bought at one of these shows a vinyl boot called "Inedits" which was studio outtakes from the fourth album. Since all the other Zeppelin boots I knew about were live material, this record piqued my interest. I don't know whether this record had been out for very long or not, but by late 1985 it seems that Jimmy's tapes had already been stolen.

They were absolutely being stolen by then. It wasn't one single theft but rather a protracted and nasty breach of trust.

Here ya go found it in my photobucket - sadly I didn't note the name or date of the magazine where the interview appeared but since it is in my collection I can look it up one day.

interview.jpg

Conclusive beyond any reasonable doubt -- they never married. Many thanks, Knebby!

Yes he jammed, but almost certainly only on guitar.

Jimmy attended Harry Connick Jr's gig at the James L. Knight Center in Miami on Feb 13th 1992. (Jimmy at that time was a resident of nearby Jupiter Island). He was introduced to Harry prior to the show and it was suggested he join Harry for a jam during the show, which he readily agreed to do. They jammed on a set of blues

improvisations during the encore.

The next day, the Miami Herald published a favorable review. It makes no mention of

Page playing piano. A photo of the jam also surfaced in various media forums.

I have since spoken to a local resident who attended and bumped into Page after

the show. A stretch limo had just pulled up to the venue and the fan exclaimed

"Nice car", to which Jimmy, standing just behind him, exclaimed "Thanks!" as he

got into it and was driven away into the night.

Here's some trivia for you

He played that set without a plectrum

PS - Mr J did you once try to sell me a Spanish Zep mag for about £130 in Liverpool