Copenhagen 7/24/79

snapper

Is it just me, or is Page's playing incredible on this night. Particularly his solo's.

I think it blows away Knebworth and damn near everything from the 77' tour except

for a few choice shows.

Copenhagen was great. I like this show better than about anything from 77 as well. Strange how just a few weeks after a solid performance like this from Jimmy, 8-11 happens. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
The recordings I have from both nights are pretty good. The 24th is better sounding but the 23rd isn't so bad. You might have to update your collection.

I have the "Copenhagen Warm Ups" 4cd set from Last Stand Disc. Black 'Zoso' discs. The 23rd is crystal clear, but the 24th is a tad fuzzy. Still a wonderful listen though.

Yep, I also find it to be much better than the Knebworth gigs. For years I had a boot video of 8/11, and it always pained me to watch it. On one hand, it was the only option to watch Zep outside of TSRTS, but on the other hand it was pretty pathetic.

I wouldn't say it's much better than 8-4. If at all. In fact, I'm going to call it a tie overall.

8/11 is not the way to judge Knebworth in general. Jimmy was spending way too much time with Keef earlier I think. :lol:

I have the "Copenhagen Warm Ups" 4cd set from Last Stand Disc. Black 'Zoso' discs. The 23rd is crystal clear, but the 24th is a tad fuzzy. Still a wonderful listen though.

i recorded one of these copenhagen shows onto cassette from vinyl around 1990...about a year ago i threw away a good 300 cassettes that were in a box in the basement...I kept all my "rare" recordings, though, and this is one of them! The sound on this particular recording wasn't that good, if i recall correctly. definately audience, and nose bleed to boot (by the sound of it).

Yep, I also find it to be much better than the Knebworth gigs. For years I had a boot video of 8/11, and it always pained me to watch it. On one hand, it was the only option to watch Zep outside of TSRTS, but on the other hand it was pretty pathetic.

i also had a vhs of Knebworth. Cant remember the date, though. It was the night they didnt play Ten Years Gone". It was also the worst quality recording i ever had. It truly seemed like a tenth gen tape or worse! As you stated in your post, it was for me the only footage i had of the band besides "Song". It was the whole show, too. I think it was like, 2 hours, 40 minutes or so.

Some parts would get so bad that you could hardly make out the muscic or the band! The audio mix was even worse...some moments have soundbord quality switching alternately to a mangled, underwater train wreck and back...so this tape for me was not a good indicator of how the band performed- simply due to the quality of the copy i had...it was obvious, however, that this was not their greatest performance. Seeing Robert smoke cigarettes made me cringe, as it was apparent at this juncture his vocals were not hitting the strident high notes anymore...

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe this is dead topic - but I can't agree more, Page sounds dynamite! Even Hot Dog is great!! Page sounds very loose on SILBY (a good litmus test for his playing on any given night) and Achilles is blistering... Magic stuff.

Agreed! Also, the solo's on Trampled Under Foot & Sick Again are just plain great.

How I wish this show had been properly recorded and videotaped.

• 6 years later...

I just re-listened to the 24th and man is it good, it's like hearing Jimmy from 73' again! Robert is on fire too AND the audience recording is up there with Mike's recordings, pretty much a perfect performance, Jones and Bonham is as great as always too, been listening to the warm-ups and a lot of the last tour so maybe Jimmy sounds better iun comparision or something :hysterical:

Archived