Question for Californians...

Hotplant

Too all you in the Sunny place....

Haven't been to the beach there in ages. I want to know which beach in Southern Cal is the cleanest?

Which one has the best waves, cleanest sand, least deadly..... :ph34r:

Thinking of a quicky road trip and need a heads up.

Are they really that polluted now??? ^

I saw something on Hermosa Beach on TV the other day and it looked ok.

What about Hunnington Beach?? (sp?)

I've lived on and off in California, and though Northern has it's pluses, I'm craving Southern.

EL, that site is scary...but helpful. Glad to see some rich big wig gave up a right-of-way, as it should be. (Malibu)

Thanks Hermit !

Where's Klu on this? He lives in Redondo doesn't he?

30+ years ago, I stayed in Malibu for awhile. :D I lived in LA for a long time too. :D Although the area has greatly changed, certain Malibu beaches are still my favorites and I still visit them on my rare trips back to southern CA, especially Trancas, Broad Beach, and Zuma.

Further up the coast, we used to "sneak" into Hollister Ranch and then go by boat onto Bixby Ranch. I don't know if that's still possible.

A nice place for swimming is La Jolla Shores in San Diego, if you're coming this far south... I second Santa Monica, just because it looks exactly like my mental image of what a So Cal beach should look like. Malibu is nice like that, too, and is just up the coast, unless I've got my wires crossed.

Are they really that polluted now??? ^

I saw something on Hermosa Beach on TV the other day and it looked ok.

What about Hunnington Beach?? (sp?)

I've lived on and off in California, and though Northern has it's pluses, I'm craving Southern.

EL, that site is scary...but helpful. Glad to see some rich big wig gave up a right-of-way, as it should be. (Malibu)

Thanks Hermit !

Where's Klu on this? He lives in Redondo doesn't he?

Huntington is good, but for all around nice beaches and good waves, Newport, just south of HB, is lovely. There are white sandy beaches for miles along PCH from Irvine Avenue upward, and also some pretty cove beaches to the south in Corona Del Mar. Have a great trip!

If you are staying in the Los Angeles area then I would suggest Hermosa beach. Hermosa is clean and safe with plenty of places to eat. You also have Redondo Beach just to the south and Manhattan beach to the north. Both with lots to offer as well. If you are looking for a place to stay try The Beach House Hotel in Hermosa. It's right on the beach near the pier. I stay there a couple of times a year. A bit pricey but well worth it.

http://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach-hotels.html

Right on ! La Jolla up to Torrey Pines....Black's Beach below the cliffs !!

Great waves...come in off a deep dropoff...so the waves are POWERFUL....and Hotplant you NUDIST !!! :D ....there's a big gathering of NEKKID people down there too !!!!

Black's Beach Bares !!! :lol:

bb2a.jpg

Get in on some nekkid sand castle fun too !!!

dave1.jpg

http://www.blacksbeach.org/

:lol:

Cool. B)

Magic Sam, I'm with you, a Northern girl. Love Limantour beach in Pt. Reyes, you can walk forever. Or anywhere on the Sonoma Coast, pretty much. Definitely a different vibe from SoCal beaches, though.

If you want a nice Northern Cal nude beach, Bonny Doon in Santa Cruz is loverly... :D

Brrrrrrrr !!!!

That northern Cali water is FRIGID !!!!! Waaaaayyyy too cold ! Talk about shrinkage ... :rolleyes:

The water down in s. Cali is just a bit warmer.....it'll still make you tuck and run though. :lol:

Cold storage for the Family Jewels ....dayum !!!

:lol:

Notice I said walk... not swim... :)

Edited to say: and Bonny Doon, well, visit in July or August, for sure... :)

Right on ! La Jolla up to Torrey Pines....Black's Beach below the cliffs !!

Great waves...come in off a deep dropoff...so the waves are POWERFUL....and Hotplant you NUDIST !!! :D....there's a big gathering of NEKKID people down there too !!!!

Black's Beach Bares !!! :lol:

bb2a.jpg

Get in on some nekkid sand castle fun too !!!

dave1.jpg

http://www.blacksbeach.org/

Yeah, Torrey Pines is a good beach, too, though it's a little annoying to walk on when all the pebbles wash up on the beach. Great waves, though, definitely. Black's Beach sounds like fun in theory, but really it's just a bunch of old gay guys (if they were younger gay guys, that might be a little more interesting!).

Yeah, Torrey Pines is a good beach, too, though it's a little annoying to walk on when all the pebbles wash up on the beach. Great waves, though, definitely. Black's Beach sounds like fun in theory, but really it's just a bunch of old gay guys (if they were younger gay guys, that might be a little more interesting!).

Yikes !!! I didn't know that....:o

Nevermind.

Well good for YOU !!! B)

The beaches are pretty dirty. Besides trash, there are also oil refineries in the area. Last time I was in Manhattan Beach there were globs of oil all over the beach. It's a shame what we're doing to the planet.

Nah!

I spent every summer at Hermosa beach right near Strand and 22st back in the 60's and those oil globs have always been there. No big f-ing deal.

Just keep some charcoal lighter fluid handy to wipe off your feet. It's not like the end of the world or anything.

Btw, we need more oil drilling off the coast if you want cut dependence on foreign oil and bring our troops home. Either that or develop cars that run on hugs and kisses.

You're coming to SoCal? :thumbsup:

I've only been to two beaches here, so I don't know much. (I think they are nice though, Dana Point & Seal Beach).

Ev has been to nearly all of them, so I'll let him know you're asking. :D

Try the chicken nachos at Taco Surf in Seal Beach.... awesome!

Also a few miles south of Seal Beach is Sunset Beach. Just a narrow strip of homes between PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) and the ocean. Due to the limited parking as compared to Bolsa Chica State Beach and Huntington further south, Sunset has much fewer crowds, especially in the summer. Plus parking is free but you have to get there early or do like I do and get there around 3pm (in the Summer). Great beach for just hanging out on the sand.

Better choices:

Windansea

Tresltles (San Onofre State Beach)

I'm no help for SoCal, but if your road trip takes you to NoCal, I'm your man. Let me know . . .

Yeah, seconded here! And as Redrum and a few others have said, Santa Cruz is fantastic, but it's the wrong choice if you're looking for something sunny right now.

A bit north of there, I glance out my window. It's foggy...and raining. Not really a surprise.

Yeah, seconded here! And as Redrum and a few others have said, Santa Cruz is fantastic, but it's the wrong choice if you're looking for something sunny right now.

A bit north of there, I glance out my window. It's foggy...and raining. Not really a surprise.

I thought you'd be back at school! Where are you right now? I think I've told you that I grew up in San Jose, but these days I spend more time in Point Reyes- that's north of Santa Cruz, and it certainly tends to be foggy and rainy in the winter.

Better choices:

Windansea

Tresltles (San Onofre State Beach)

Oh yes...Windandsea is the most beautiful beach, best sand, prettiest girls and a great surfbreak in the San Diego area...I was referencing Blacks for Hotplant's nudist attributes...:D I thought she'd particularly enjoy that part....but I swear I didnt know it was overun by old gay men.

When I went to the site..it had plenty of nekkid chicks ! False advertising I spose....<_<

I could post pics ! but maybe I shouldn't. B)

Oh yes...Windandsea is the most beautiful beach, best sand, prettiest girls and a great surfbreak in the San Diego area...I was referencing Blacks for Hotplant's nudist attributes...:D I thought she'd particularly enjoy that part....but I swear I didnt know it was overun by old gay men.

When I went to the site..it had plenty of nekkid chicks ! False advertising I spose....<_<

I could post pics ! but maybe I shouldn't. B)

I've been to Blacks beach a few times, but there was some old guys there with cameras and binoculars... maybe one was you? :lol:

Now when we go to San Diego we always stay at the Del Coronado Hotel on Coronado Island. Not much in term of surf there, but I can enjoy just sitting on the balcony just drinking and watching the day go by.

My wife likes it there too because of all the Navy Seals training out on the beach.

2006_12_10_Coronado_218_reszie.JPG

PR_pool.jpg

060523_seals_bcol_11a.standard.jpg

Been there !

My parents used to live in a quonset hut on Coronado in the early 50s...while my dad was in the Navy, but not the SEALS...

I enjoyed La Jolla and would ride a bicycle from there along the coast to the boardwalk fronting Pacific Beach..all along there....I love boardwalks...and did that in Newport, Balboa Island too....

I didnt have my binoculars above Blacks on the cliffs...I had to squint really hard to see anything down below....but I hung with the hanggliders up at Torrey Pines. :)

Archived