Plant's Voice Shot?

Ezzy

The studio has a way of making vox sound great, even bands in their prime often speed up the vox a bit to make the vocalist sound "younger". The slight pitch change from the speed does that. The Beatles used that trick quite a bit from what I've read.

Anyway, I think RP did his best singing post Zep, I'm sure I'm in the minority there. If he ever did any shrieking it was while he was in Zep, especially in the early days. No doubt the power of his voice was impressive but there have been many times I wished he would have stuck to the lyrics live instead of injecting the songs with "ooh baby" or what ever. I often think that during Immigrant Song, just when you think the end of the verse is going to finish perfectly with "we are your overlords" RJ screeches out "baby baby overlawwaaahhhaah" or what ever. Sometimes it was just too much, if he avoids that the show will be a huge success :).

You probably are in the minority, danelectro. I love those little inflections.

The inflections and all that Ooooh.... is LEDZEP signature style - (which made them no.1),

If a band's lead singer can't do those inflections - he shouldn't be in Rock, he should sing Elvis

Those stuff which sounds like screeching - is A MUST FOR ALL FUTURE ROCK BANDS.

That's why the next generation of Rock bands keep copying him, RP set the STANDARD.

And for the heavy guitar play- JP set the standard.

Put them together - ATOMIC EXPLOSION.

Post Ledzep - is a different story. RPlant is singing as RPlant. I love his style in singing GEORGIA IN MY MIND. And Raising Sand songs.

Luv it, Luv it, Luv it. with low/keyed inflections and all.

In some respects it is, because it focuses heavily on the rather vacuous celebrity and gossip stories. But when it comes to news, for example, their most famous headline referred to an English comedian, "Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster". That gives you a good example of the level they tend to work at. Turned out he didn't really eat a hamster either. :blink:

Well, he's gone down in my estimation, then.

No doubt the power of his voice was impressive but there have been many times I wished he would have stuck to the lyrics live instead of injecting the songs with "ooh baby" or what ever. I often think that during Immigrant Song, just when you think the end of the verse is going to finish perfectly with "we are your overlords" RJ screeches out "baby baby overlawwaaahhhaah" or what ever. Sometimes it was just too much, if he avoids that the show will be a huge success :).

Can't remember where I read this - maybe someone else here can remember - a few years back in an interview, Plant said that he was embarrassed about all those "ooh baby"s and wished he could go back and erase them from the recordings.

And isn't the Sun the one that shows titties on page 6?

The things is, his voice change isn't anything new. His voice changed drastically in late '72, and by the '73 summer tour he was no longer able to hit the high notes as he had from '69-'72. So this would be as much an issue now, as it would have been in '75, '77, '79, or whenever.

You want to talk about a voice being shot, watch any recent AC/DC concert dvd's, Brian Johnson's voice is shredded. It happens.

The things is, his voice change isn't anything new. His voice changed drastically in late '72, and by the '73 summer tour he was no longer able to hit the high notes as he had from '69-'72. So this would be as much an issue now, as it would have been in '75, '77, '79, or whenever.

You want to talk about a voice being shot, watch any recent AC/DC concert dvd's, Brian Johnson's voice is shredded. It happens.

Yeah, but I don't ever remember them having to tune their songs down to a lower key.

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/32724

And I agree about Brian Johnson. His voice is almost completely gone, it's sad.

His voice has changed alot over the years. And there is no doubt in my mind that part of the reason that Plant has avoided a reunion is because the old Zep songs are really very difficult to do with the same power Plant had as a young man.

This is not anything to be ashamed of or not expected. But I think it makes it much more difficult for a singer like Plant who's plaintive wail on some of those blues numbers is what made him stand out above so many other singers of his time.

The band will obviously have to de-tune some of the songs in the Zep playlist for Robert to sing, but so what?

All the endless talk about Robert's voice being shot, he can't sing the high notes, will the concert be good then is really exhausting. It seems to me that there is an awful lot of time spent tearing this whole gig apart rather than celebrating the fact after all these years, they're actually playing together.

No it likely won't be perfect. Then again, what concert is, short of the pop tarts that lip synch and use prerecorded instrumental backings. They're rehearsing extensively and they all seem incredibly thrilled to be doing this. And those who were lucky enough to score a ticket, I'm sure you won't be disappointed at all.

Robert Plant sounded perfectly fine the last time I heard him sing with Strange Sensation in concert. Sometimes I wonder if people who criticize his vocal capacity have been to any recent concerts of his. He was wonderful the last time.

I have heard plenty of his stuff over the years but the last time I heard him sing live was in 1977.

But when was the last time you heard him sing Babe I'm Gonna Leave You ?

I have heard plenty of his stuff over the years but the last time I heard him sing live was in 1977.

But when was the last time you heard him sing Babe I'm Gonna Leave You ?

I went to see him in concert in 2005 and he did not sing Babe I'm Gonna Leave You then.

Edited by eternal light

Age changes anyones voice.In these mature years Robert has adapted his superbly and as a vocalist he is still one of the greatest with stunning phrasing and timing, full of drama and emotion.He still takes risks and still shows any aspiring rock warbler how its done.

I no more want Robert to copy his past Zep stuff note for note than I do Jimmy.So much of music since has been pure formula, Zeppelin responded to each other and dared to go wherever the music took them and when it's done in that spirit a bum note is always a brave note!

:rolleyes:

Isn't the UK Sun equivalent to the National Enquirer?

If it's not owned by Rupert Murdoch, I'd be surprised, like the Daily News here in America, a paper to embarrase and humiliate, rather then report.

I'm sure many of us saw Plant recently on Soundstage, he doesn't hide the fact that his voice can't reach the high notes, hence the quite interesting rearrangements.

If it's not owned by Rupert Murdoch, I'd be surprised, like the Daily News here in America, a paper to embarrase and humiliate, rather then report.

I'm sure many of us saw Plant recently on Soundstage, he doesn't hide the fact that his voice can't reach the high notes, hence the quite interesting rearrangements.

Do you mean the NY Post? The News is not a trash rag. Close, but not.

Robert's post Zeppelin voice has often sounded embarrasing, more so that he would use that annoying shrieking voice, with passion. A total different sound.

You want to talk embarrassing?

How about his mid-Zeppelin voice and how you had to explain to your friends why he decided to have an orgasm in the middle of the song?

No it likely won't be perfect. Then again, what concert is, short of the pop tarts that lip synch and use prerecorded instrumental backings.

Mmmmmmm...maybe Robert should lip sync, then he could reach perfection....

I haven't seen a lip-synced performance that went anywhere near perfection. I agree the gig won't be free of gltches, and thankfully its the glitches that can spark new songs...

Age changes anyones voice.In these mature years Robert has adapted his superbly and as a vocalist he is still one of the greatest with stunning phrasing and timing, full of drama and emotion.He still takes risks and still shows any aspiring rock warbler how its done.

Yes age changes a voice, but smoking can ruin it. Does anyone know if Robert still smokes? I believe Brian Johnson smokes/smoked.

One guy who has a limited vocal range, but has gotten better with age is Richard Thompson, who is a few years older than RP. Very deep voice but sounds nice. It doesn't matter if you can hit the high notes or not. RP hasn't been able to since the mid-70s and I could care less.

I'm curious as to what songs JPJ and JP had to "re-arrange" for RP though.