Plant's Voice Shot?

Ezzy

Frankly, I'd be more worried about Jimmy and how well he plays, then Robert's singing. Robert has been out there singing, and by all accounts, sounds just fine. But Jimmy hasn't been playing much, so combine his rust with the fact that he's 63 and probably loses a bit of dexterity every year, I hope he'll sound good.

whatever.. even at 73 jimmy could smash his guitar into a amp and make more coherent noises than most other guitarists lately. and robert sounds fine. to me his voice gets more

ethereal and soulful as he gets older. if you want pointless acrobatics van halen reunited go see them. eddie needs meth money.

led zeppelin's return is the greatest thing since their formation. i'm seeing all these stupid

a** media stories and "discussions" popping up about them detuning and poor roberts voice and jimmy's rusted and blah blah blah. trying to ruin everyones fun i guess. or maybe they are all in shock and can not believe such greatness is being bestowed upon the world.

Frankly, I'd be more worried about Jimmy and how well he plays, then Robert's singing. Robert has been out there singing, and by all accounts, sounds just fine. But Jimmy hasn't been playing much, so combine his rust with the fact that he's 63 and probably loses a bit of dexterity every year, I hope he'll sound good.

That's exactly right, Page will be under a lot of pressure to perform at the level he used to, and the odds are not good at his age.

Age changes anyones voice.In these mature years Robert has adapted his superbly and as a vocalist he is still one of the greatest with stunning phrasing and timing, full of drama and emotion.He still takes risks and still shows any aspiring rock warbler how its done.

I no more want Robert to copy his past Zep stuff note for note than I do Jimmy.So much of music since has been pure formula, Zeppelin responded to each other and dared to go wherever the music took them and when it's done in that spirit a bum note is always a brave note!

I agree with you on that Kevin.

Led Zeppelin was well known for always doing the songs they played in concert a different way everytime they went on a concert tour.

You might see the list of songs to be played at the concert, but you never knew how it was going to be aranged and sound when they performed it.

And I've heard the drama about if Robert can still hit the "high notes" and he responded yes if it called for it, but he still has a unique and super cool voice and I'm not worried about Led Zeppelin pulling off a great performace at the 02 Arena reunion concert.

Exactly, with the exception of the worrying part. It will be what it will be, and he says he's ready. This show is about helping the charity foundation and paying tribute to Ahmet, nothing more.

All the headlines regarding this issue are saying RP can't hit the high notes anymore. :rolleyes:

Can't they think of a better way of putting it? It's rude.

RP has an amazing voice yet. I could care less that it has deepened.

You want to talk embarrassing?

How about his mid-Zeppelin voice and how you had to explain to your friends why he decided to have an orgasm in the middle of the song?

That's too funny... and yeah not only your friends but your grandkids!

And his voice is obviously not shot. Raising Sand is an excellent example of that! He just has his own style. And sure he can't sing like he did when he was 20, to be expected.

Some people are meant to have an orgasm in the middle of a song, and Robert Plant had made it to age 21. In those days most of the audience was closer to his age and there were not a lot of little kids running around. The audience was mostly teenagers or young adults. It was only later in life that the audience was joined by the Barney brigade and Robert had to shut the bedroom door.

I always seem to be bringing up Raising Sand in my posts, but Robert sounds great on that album. I would hope that Zep can arrange their songs around his current voice. They are certainly capable of reinterpreting the songs from the past. If they did not they would be boring and Zep proved time and again that they could not be pigeonholed.

I would expect there to be heated discussions. The has to be some give and take from the band Its a trade off because I am sure they have some relearning to do and it would be more comfortable just to play from muscle memory.

if someone already listened "Raising Sand" will certainly say that Robert's Voice it's still incredible...

I TRUST HIM, I LOVE HIM... WHY DON'T YOU ASK FOR JIMMY'S BROKEN FINGER?

There's nothing wrong with his voice... :D

Respectfully, I think this thread should be deleted.

This is the Official Led Zeppelin Forum. I feel it extremely disrespectful to have a thread entitled "Plant's Voice Shot?"

Our singer does not deserve that, especially on HIS board.

My 'II' cents...

I don't feel that its a disrespectful thread. Fact is, his voice HAS changed quite a bit over the years, and that change does pose a legitimate question for some people. Not everyone here collects bootlegs (seeing the changes throughout his LZ career) and listens to all his solo material. So for some, to listen to an early Zeppelin album, then hear him sing now can be a bit surprising.

Don't misunderstand me, I think he still sounds great. IMHO he is a much more well-rounded vocalist now. Seeing him sing live is an incredible experience. After seeing him a couple years ago with Strange Sensation, I can tell you we should have nothing to worry about regarding Plant for the O2. His live voice still gives me chills. The man can still rock!

I don't feel that its a disrespectful thread. Fact is, his voice HAS changed quite a bit over the years, and that change does pose a legitimate question for some people. Not everyone here collects bootlegs (seeing the changes throughout his LZ career) and listens to all his solo material. So for some, to listen to an early Zeppelin album, then hear him sing now can be a bit surprising.

Don't misunderstand me, I think he still sounds great. IMHO he is a much more well-rounded vocalist now. Seeing him sing live is an incredible experience. After seeing him a couple years ago with Strange Sensation, I can tell you we should have nothing to worry about regarding Plant for the O2. His live voice still gives me chills. The man can still rock!

I hear what you're saying... but "Changed' and 'Shot' suggest 2 completely different meanings... Not to mention, 'shot' is in the thread title.

Do you mean the NY Post? The News is not a trash rag. Close, but not.

Yeah! Sorry! You got me on that one! See what that boxed wine does to you?

The News is the only way I can get any decent hockey news.

JUST ANSWER ME THIS:

IS SOMEONE WEARING THE SAME SHOES THAT YOU USED TO WEAR AT PREE-SCHOOL???

PROBABLY YOU'RE NOT, BUT YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME FEET RIGHT???

Robert is 59, come on!!!! obviously things have changed, but it doesn't mean that he has not the same passion, or rythm...

I'm pretty sure we can all express our selves, but in agood way :hippy:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...ticle501608.ece

I think it's a good idea, better to go lower than miss a note. But the "heated discussions" don't sound good for a possible 2008 tour!

I think they'll pull it off. There is a magic that surrounds Zeppelin that nobody can explain. Dec 10 will become a highpoint of the Zeppelin legend.

Just imagine how freaky it would be if Robert began singing and the voice of a nineteen-year-old came out. He's SUPPOSED to have a more mature voice! Which doesn't make it worse, in fact it makes it better, as more maturity makes most things in life better, and I ain't talkin' wine and cheese!!

Yeah! Sorry! You got me on that one! See what that boxed wine does to you?

The News is the only way I can get any decent hockey news.

No problem, I love the seen in grumpier old men when Walter Matthau brings a box of wine to Sophia Loren.

Classic.

• 6 years later...

Archived