Son of Thunder - Jason Bonham

Bonham

Great article. One point regarding Good Time Bad Times, I hope Jason doesn't attempt the famous single bass drum triplets with double kick, as he mentions "I don't have the right foot of the old man". Please don't to it if that's the case, there's plenty of other Zep tunes to do. Double kick is cheating and sacrilige in the world of Zeppelin! I can actually do it correctly myself with 1 bass drum pedal about 75% of the time, it's the other 25% of the time that's the problem! You've got to have the pedal springs adjusted right and wear the proper light yet gripping shoes, not heavy shoes, but Jason knows this I'm sure. I've been playing drums and guitar both for 30 years, and those Good Times Bad Times bass drum triplets are definitely what sets the men apart from the boys.

One thing to add......you know one of the things about Jason Bonham the strikes me?....Even though he's part of the Zeppelin family, he's still like, one of us!

Yes! How true! He's very "normal" considering his lineage. Yea, Jason is really cool and seems like he would hang-out with the fans and be normal - not a superstar.

Yes! How true! He's very "normal" considering his lineage. Yea, Jason is really cool and seems like he would hang-out with the fans and be normal - not a superstar.

I work in the sound industry, and after meeting Jason twice over the last decade, i can attest that he is definitely one of the nicest, down to earth "rock stars" you will ever meet. With his lineage, i really didnt know what to expect, but he has more patience with the fans than just about anybody i've witnessed, and seems genuinely interested in what people want to say to him.

On a fun side note, back in the late 90's when he toured as the Jason Bonham Band, i couldnt believe when he came through Atlanta to the club where i was working, and wasnt traveling with a soundman! He gave me total control, and i was salivating through the whole show. Suffice it to say, i treated it with great respect, and really slapped the heavy phaser on the snare! Definitely, a night to tell the grandkids about one day.

I work in the sound industry, and after meeting Jason twice over the last decade, i can attest that he is definitely one of the nicest, down to earth "rock stars" you will ever meet. With his lineage, i really didnt know what to expect, but he has more patience with the fans than just about anybody i've witnessed, and seems genuinely interested in what people want to say to him.

On a fun side note, back in the late 90's when he toured as the Jason Bonham Band, i couldnt believe when he came through Atlanta to the club where i was working, and wasnt traveling with a soundman! He gave me total control, and i was salivating through the whole show. Suffice it to say, i treated it with great respect, and really slapped the heavy phaser on the snare! Definitely, a night to tell the grandkids about one day.

Ahh, very interesting perspective. :)

i didnt understand the "Dazed and Confused" at Knebworth. Its gotta be a typo and I'm assuming the writer meant to put either Kashmir at Knebworth or Dazed and confused at Earls Court --- because there's no question that as the years went by, Zep played Dazed slower but the fast solo middle part remained as the standard tempo.

Good article. And by the looks of it, we should be able to add GTBT, Rock and Roll, TSRTS, No Q., and Kashmir on the proable list of songs to be played. Not that we didnt already figure that, but.....

i didnt understand the "Dazed and Confused" at Knebworth. Its gotta be a typo and I'm assuming the writer meant to put either Kashmir at Knebworth or Dazed and confused at Earls Court --- because there's no question that as the years went by, Zep played Dazed slower but the fast solo middle part remained as the standard tempo.

Good article. And by the looks of it, we should be able to add GTBT, Rock and Roll, TSRTS, No Q., and Kashmir on the proable list of songs to be played. Not that we didnt already figure that, but.....

He probably either means the Page Solo(if he's seen the Knebworth DVDs out there) which was basically Dazed and Confused Page part or he means Earls Court like you said.

He received minimal instruction on drums from his father as he did not seriously

pursue them until after the loss of his father. This is a fact in his own words.

He still received some instruction. his basics all began as a child with his father. Think of it as riding a bike. His dad got him off the training wheels so to speak.

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here?

...anybody know what this is referring to?

what? putting lots of tension on the pedal for practices, then loosening it up for shows to help build speed. I think he says that next phrase doesn't he, or maybe i've misunderstood the question.

He still received some instruction. his basics all began as a child with his father. Think of it as riding a bike. His dad got him off the training wheels so to speak.

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here?

He's an accomplished drummer on his own talents and abilities; it's not mere imitation.

what? putting lots of tension on the pedal for practices, then loosening it up for shows to help build speed. I think he says that next phrase doesn't he, or maybe i've misunderstood the question.

It's referring to the need for him to strengthen his foot so that he has the power and speed on the kick pedal his father had.

I got the part about strengthening his foot by adjusting the pedal tension;I was just wondering if there's anything else that can be done to achieve the same goal,without the benefit of equipment of any kind.I need to strengthen my foot as well-not for drumming.

I got the part about strengthening his foot by adjusting the pedal tension;I was just wondering if there's anything else that can be done to achieve the same goal,without the benefit of equipment of any kind.I need to strengthen my foot as well-not for drumming.
Well, there is a trick (not a trick) I do where I just air drum or pump my foot on the ground to the beat of a few songs every day. But that's just me.

I didn't know where to put this interview I ran across, with Bonzo and Robert.

and I couldn't see the entire link, But if you go to www.crackle.com and look in Music,

"ryantv" Led Zeppelin Robert Plant And John Bonham Rare 1

An Oldie for sure.

"I hope not! I doubt it, but then again, I'd be willing. I think I'd rather 'Moby Dick' came on from the DVD and I would join in with dad, on giant screens - dad one one, me on another - and I could figure out a whole section so we played together."

That comment was really moving, that would be awesome.

Archived