Judging a Zep Show

jhelgeson79

I personnally like to listen to the end of the solo of 'OTHFA' , 'MD'or the 'STH' solo as a measuring stick so to speak to see if Jimmy is on that particular concert. If Jimmy's on in these solos, that concert is usually a good one. What are your opinions? Now I am speaking only about Jimmy.

I like to use SILBY as way to see if its gonna be a good night for Jimmy or not.

Likewise, as it's one of the few songs that remained constant throughout the middle of the sets (as opposed to WLL at the end of sets) from 70-80 (except 75). Generally, you can tell if he has sticky fingers on any given night in the first minute of the song. It's also a good song to test how the sound quality of a tape is as well.

i concur...

well pretty much anything pre 1973 Jimmy is going to be on.....not very many bad nights for him or the band during the first 5 years. Post 1973 it is anyone guess at anytime....most shows are sloppy and jimmy has sticky fingers.......by 1977 he sometimes sounds as if he is a 5th year guitar student...but I love him non the less !! since and dazed are great measuring sticks for early gigs.

It's funny because sometimes he will really be on it for a particular song or solo, and then the next one he is completely sloppy. As was said it's like someone poured sugar on his guitar or something, one moment he is great and the next his fingers stop working.

Whenever I bring home a new 77 show it's always SIBLY and NQ. those were the two numbers that were always played differently...

anything before that always has got to be D&C. then the HMMT or WLL medleys. love the covers.

It's funny because sometimes he will really be on it for a particular song or solo, and then the next one he is completely sloppy. As was said it's like someone poured sugar on his guitar or something, one moment he is great and the next his fingers stop working.

Yeah. It's like with their last concert in Berlin; Jimmy, I think, was on fire for most of the show. But once he gets to Stairway, he's just totally lost.

I got 3 songs. But really 2 since they didn't use one for a lot of the years. SIBLY, Heartbreaker, and Dazed and Confused. They didn't played D&C in 77 and 80 though. And they really didn't play Heartbreaker outside of some encores after 73 or so also.

I got 3 songs. But really 2 since they didn't use one for a lot of the years. SIBLY, Heartbreaker, and Dazed and Confused. They didn't played D&C in 77 and 80 though. And they really didn't play Heartbreaker outside of some encores after 73 or so also.

Heartbreaker was played quite a bit after '73, espeically in '75.

Heartbreaker was played quite a bit after '73, espeically in '75.

Usually as an encore in 75. And not regularly. For example they only played it their last concert in Earls Court, once in LA, Seattle, Long Beach State, maybe once in New York.

Usually as an encore in 75. And not regularly. For example they only played it their last concert in Earls Court, once in LA, Seattle, Long Beach State, maybe once in New York.

Dude do you own any books or even have any boots? do you atleast check your info before you try to answer questions on here?....

not trying to sound like an ass. but maybe you should stick to asking questions instead of answering them. because your post are always full of holes! and you poor info is not helping people that want to learn more...

try getting some Luis Rey books. and maybe The Concert Files and a Godwin CD book for starters.

out of 37 of the 75 shows in circulation 13 of them show Zeppelin playing Heartbreaker. that's over one third...that's far more then your 4 times. and a maybe in NY....come on!

2-6-Montreal

2-7-NYC

2-8-Philly

2-10-Maryland

2-12-NYC

2-14-Uniondale NY

2-16-St.Louis

3-12-Long Beach

3-14-San Deigo

3-20-Vancouver

3-21-Seattle

3-24-LA

5-25-Earls Court

For me, it depends on the era. 68-70 I would have to go with ICQYB. 71-73 Heartbreaker and Since I've Been Loving You. 75 OTHAFA, 77-80 I'm really not sure.

To me it was obvious very early in they're shows as to whether or not they'd be on form. That's why I chose songs that were early in the set list. I personally don't recall hearing a bad version of Dazed And Confused even on an off night and, as someone else said on another thread, Immigrant Song sounded like a heard of fucking elephants. It alway's sounded great, no matter what !

Dude do you own any books or even have any boots? do you atleast check your info before you try to answer questions on here?....

not trying to sound like an ass. but maybe you should stick to asking questions instead of answering them. because your post are always full of holes! and you poor info is not helping people that want to learn more...

try getting some Luis Rey books. and maybe The Concert Files and a Godwin CD book for starters.

out of 37 of the 75 shows in circulation 13 of them show Zeppelin playing Heartbreaker. that's over one third...that's far more then your 4 times. and a maybe in NY....come on!

2-6-Montreal

2-7-NYC

2-8-Philly

2-10-Maryland

2-12-NYC

2-14-Uniondale NY

2-16-St.Louis

3-12-Long Beach

3-14-San Deigo

3-20-Vancouver

3-21-Seattle

3-24-LA

5-25-Earls Court

I actually have all those shows. I just went through a quick look at the boots from 75. They still didn't play it as much as they did before. It was a regular till about 73. It was really only played as an encore from 75 on if it was played.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived