Talking with Robert Plant

misty mountain

With music sales down in general, I think the sales volume has stunned the country industry. They saw this as a project that would appeal to a tightly-defined niche audience. Then, both local country and rock stations gave "GGG" heavy airplay here in Nashville and the critics all went wild for the project. I simply think the project appeal to the music-purchasing public caught the old guard "off-guard", ie. a little bit of professional jealousy maybe.

There also may be a little suspicion of Plant, because he has been hanging out in Nashville quite a bit. You have an undercurrent of "Is this really a professional relationship or a romantic joint venture?" Keep in mind Nashville is a gossping town, however Krauss is extemely guarded and private (she even homeschools her 7 year old), and the two of them have not been seen together at all unless they are conducting business or filming related to Raising Sand. When there have been Plant sightings out at the local eateries AK is never with him, and AK as a rule never ventures out of her house unless she is doing a show, even pre-Plant. You see all the other stars out and about, and Nashville people tend to leave them alone in public. (I have seen Brad Paisley shop at the local Pet Supermarket just last month and nobody approached him). But AK is a closed book. This contributes to the mystique of it all....people feel they don't really know what is driving this bus, or how long the bus will last.

Personally, I think the union is driven by creativity, (just my opinion). However, I need one live LZ show before I die.

Well, I hope you get one, as a reward for that great information! Fascinating, it had never occurred to me that the country establishment might be wary of this project. Also, not being into that scene myself, I realized I know very little about AK except as singer/musician. Thanks a lot for the info. :)

With music sales down in general, I think the sales volume has stunned the country industry. They saw this as a project that would appeal to a tightly-defined niche audience. Then, both local country and rock stations gave "GGG" heavy airplay here in Nashville and the critics all went wild for the project. I simply think the project appeal to the music-purchasing public caught the old guard "off-guard", ie. a little bit of professional jealousy maybe.

There also may be a little suspicion of Plant, because he has been hanging out in Nashville quite a bit. You have an undercurrent of "Is this really a professional relationship or a romantic joint venture?" Keep in mind Nashville is a gossping town, however Krauss is extemely guarded and private (she even homeschools her 7 year old), and the two of them have not been seen together at all unless they are conducting business or filming related to Raising Sand. When there have been Plant sightings out at the local eateries AK is never with him, and AK as a rule never ventures out of her house unless she is doing a show, even pre-Plant. You see all the other stars out and about, and Nashville people tend to leave them alone in public. (I have seen Brad Paisley shop at the local Pet Supermarket just last month and nobody approached him). But AK is a closed book. This contributes to the mystique of it all....people feel they don't really know what is driving this bus, or how long the bus will last.

Personally, I think the union is driven by creativity, (just my opinion). However, I need one live LZ show before I die.

What surprises me is I guess (based on a bit of ignorance here) that I always thought of Nashville as a place that very much embraces its history and that a record like that going back to the roots would be hugely talked about, not just because Alison has made a name for herself in the community. Yet when you watch stations like CMT and GAC, it's as you said - not really supported but the least country sounding music they embrace.

This sort of style...sort of alt/country is not new-there's lots of great stuff there that isn't the mainstream glitz. This is just the most noteworthy with the calibre of the callaboration and the above average success considering the niche it is in.

With Robert in the band they certainly steer towards stranger territories than most other alt/country type stuff would.

Interesting that they only attracted 4000 people in Roanoke.......

....this article is from before the tour anyway isn't it?......it's nothing new in that sense....

What surprises me is I guess (based on a bit of ignorance here) that I always thought of Nashville as a place that very much embraces its history and that a record like that going back to the roots would be hugely talked about, not just because Alison has made a name for herself in the community. Yet when you watch stations like CMT and GAC, it's as you said - not really supported but the least country sounding music they embrace.

If you recall Johnny Cash took out a full-page ad in Rolling Stone Magazine several years before his death. He had just won a ton of Grammys and had not received any airplay in Nashville. The ad was a photo of Johnny making an obscene gesture to Nashville music execs. And Bluegrass got absolutely no respect in Nashville until T Bone produced the "Oh Brother" soundtrack and that took off. The Nashville music elite are more interested in the commercialized country that can possibly cross over to Pop, such as Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood. They always looked down on Bluegrass as "Kentucky trailer trash music", listened to by people that couldn't afford to buy it. It is a wonder Bluegrass survived pre T Bone. I grew up surrounded by Bluegrass in Eastern KY and I hated it. I could only get Bluegrass stations on FM until I stung a special antenna on the side of my house to pick up rock stations from Knoxville and Lexington so I could listen to Zep and the good stuff. I almost got hit by lightning trying to adjust that thing in a thunderstorm. Now that I am older I can listen to it with some appreciation (thank you T Bone), and I even went to a couple of Ralph Stanley concerts and got autographed CDs during the past two years because he is an icon and he is really up there in years. But I am a Rock and Roller at heart. I could take Mr. Plant on a real tour of coal-mining Appalachia that he would never forget, take him to a snake handling church with great music, anything he wants, but I would rather see him on stage with Page, Jason, JP. I still have hope. And if I run into him, I will certainly give him this speech! LOL

Well, as usual, Plant always looks out for himself...........................I know, thats fine for him. But there are other LZ band members and millions of fans out there that you would think that he could remember more then the few times he has. <_<

Live aid

Atlantic reuion

A couple of limited tours with Page on "His" terms

02 concert

I'm not impressed

I saw him in Montreal with Strange sensation. He hit a MONSTER of a note during the opening No Quarter. My jaw dropped and I was stuck between laughter and awe.

If he can pit an effort like that into singing with, in comparison to James Page and James Baldwin, complete stooges, then he can totally get behind the bar with Zeppelin again.

It's always been about evolution. Get an embryonic process going, help the other three finish up the album, tweak it, jump into it and don't be afraid. It's very safe to ride into the sunset with threashing ore.

Hey ROBERT. Dwindlestraws. Don't be scared. Leo's screw things up in life by being overly defensive and relying on too much of a comfort zone. If you actually want to do this, don't expect your friends to beg, they'll just assume you don't wanna do it. 'Zeppelin? Anything is possible at any time.'

If you devote your energies to creating something with three other men wo aren't as afraid as you are to go for it, you'll feel guilty and as if you didn't belong. DON'T BE AFRAID. ROAR. GET IN THERE AND DO THE ALBUM AND THE TOUR. WE LOVE YOU, YOUR SINGING AND WHAT YOU BRING TO ZEP.

Would John want you to do it with his son? No brainer. Yes.

Do we want you to do it? Rhetorical question, still redundantly answered by a yes.

Does Jimmy want you to do it? Yup.

Does Jonesy want you to do it? YAH He said Good Times, Bad Times was his favorite song, boom from the get-go, and you all used it as an opener, cause he brings a very genuine enthusiasm to the table, a balanced one and a healthy one beyond reproach.

Does Jason want to do it? He bowed before you after the show, again, YES.

Do you want us all to start emailing individual petition signatures, signing a petition entitled 'Come hither mighty lion, let us pull the thorn fromyour ear, so you can hear'?

In other words, your solo stuff, will always be crap compared to Zep and therefore anything you do with Jimmu, John Paul and Jason will be better as well. It's like the rosetta stone translator opting to teach English as a Second Language in Japan instead of pursuing breakthrough research on newly found artifacts which could shed much light on ancient cultures.

Why don't you walk your talk and Shine it All Around for us? Remember that elogious speech about Jimmy? Can you say anything like that (remotely profound) about ANYBODY else you have worked with since Zep? HELL NO. Stop wasting your time. You ARE NOT STEVEN SEAGAL, STOP making B-C albums, we want the BEST OF YOU.

You aren't much without Zep and Zep ain't much without you. The understating tautology of the century, DUH AWARD 2008. So please, Robert, go out there and do the obvious, just do it only like you know how to do it. Knock us upside the head with some cool shit, some Robert Plant with Zep backing his talk up. SOME REAL MUSIC. We need it. Even if you don't tour. I WANT AN ALBUM.

93, Agape, Namaste, all the bullshit your pride feels like dismissing. When you're done mauling me, I'm still there asking you to sing with Zep!!!

Good luck. He has proven time and time again that he could care less.

Those that I know who know him would disagree.

Hell, he cared enough to send me and my honey a postcard when he was in Istanbul.

Postcard.jpg

You aren't much without Zep and Zep ain't much without you. The understating tautology of the century, DUH AWARD 2008. So please, Robert, go out there and do the obvious, just do it only like you know how to do it. Knock us upside the head with some cool shit, some Robert Plant with Zep backing his talk up. SOME REAL MUSIC. We need it. Even if you don't tour. I WANT AN ALBUM.

He may not get beyond the opening insult...I wouldn't. Oh please won't you reiterate what "we" need and you want... <_<

You aren't much without Zep

I agree, you have had a few good songs on your own but your LZ songs are all time classics. The reason you are singing to sold out venues know is more because of Allison then you. Give back to the fans that got you were you are today, and I don't mean the Rock-a-billy blue grass crowd. :blink:

This sort of style...sort of alt/country is not new-there's lots of great stuff there that isn't the mainstream glitz. This is just the most noteworthy with the calibre of the callaboration and the above average success considering the niche it is in.

With Robert in the band they certainly steer towards stranger territories than most other alt/country type stuff would.

Interesting that they only attracted 4000 people in Roanoke.......

....this article is from before the tour anyway isn't it?......it's nothing new in that sense....

As far as Roanoke, I think the economy is hurting this tour. That should have been a big draw for them, the Virginia Highlands. I think gas and food are so high many people are having to make painful cuts in their entertainment budgets.

As far as Roanoke, I think the economy is hurting this tour. That should have been a big draw for them, the Virginia Highlands. I think gas and food are so high many people are having to make painful cuts in their entertainment budgets.

I was very surprised to see that date was not sold out. I should think tickets went on sale well before food and more so gas prices started to climb. I'm going to chalk it up

to poor promotion unless someone can demonstrably show otherwise.

Amen to that! I definitely would have gone if it weren't 4 hours away. At $4 a gallon, it would have been like buying three tickets to the show. Good thing they're coming closer! :D

Give back to the fans that got you were you are today

Backwards logic. It's Zeppelin that got us to where we are today. This forum. No one forced any of us to buy their albums. How much money have I put in Robert's pocket compared to how much his music has affected my life? I would rather say thank you than demand he do something more for me. :beer:

Backwards logic. It's Zeppelin that got us to where we are today. This forum. No one forced any of us to buy their albums. How much money have I put in Robert's pocket compared to how much his music has affected my life? I would rather say thank you than demand he do something more for me. :beer:

Very well stated, as always. For those who missed '68-'80 there was '94-'98 and unless he opts for a cryogenic chamber I think that really was the last hurrah, "Zep" tour wise.

If they ever tour again, seconds after the final curtain people will clamor for another.

Very well stated, as always. For those who missed '68-'80 there was '94-'98 and unless he opts for a cryogenic chamber I think that really was the last hurrah, "Zep" tour wise.

If they ever tour again, seconds after the final curtain people will clamor for another.

Yeah, I remember last year, when everybody was posting "Oh please Robert, just one more time! One more show!". Now that he gave us one, it's back to "Selfish Robert, give us a tour! Blah blah blah." Can't win for trying. :rolleyes:

I was very surprised to see that date was not sold out.

Gosh, maybe its because so many think that this duet is weak. Its one thing to hear the music on CD, but to see it in person is another thing. I mean seeing the bearded older Plant with his LZ mates looks right................................up there with a lady young enough to be his daughter is another matter. :mellow:

artistic spark, motivation..

hmmm... john paul jones and jimmy page.i don't know how many more tools a singer/songwriter / song crafter could possibly hope to be in their toolbox.

how could anyone open jpj's site, listen to the short intro music and not feel like this guy could really take you to interesting and diverse places musically?

i'm sure robert agrees.

so it's not that. it's all the connotations and excess baggage connected with with it. even if these guys got together and made the best album of their career..

i don't really want to go there.

" you wana whole lotta love "

again and again and again in 17 octaves.

that's part of it. i also think he's a sentimental guy and he has class. really respects led zeppelin and doesn't want to disturb its shrine & tomb like some bandit blowing a hole in the great pyramid so everyone can go inside and loot its treasure and ruin it's

contents or something.

Just an aside: Country and Bluegrass music is strongly (not entirely) rooted in Celtic music. Music that, among other places, is rooted in Wales. Is it really so much of a stretch than some people make it? :beer:

Good for him. So glad to hear this from him

"For me, I just want to do stuff where at the end of the night, I can turn and look at the people I'm working with and go, 'That was not just an achievement—it was one of the most heart-rending experiences I've had.' And that's what happened to me night before last."

The "night before last," Plant and Krauss (and T-Bone and company) played their second show in Louisville, which seems to have provided Plant with everything he could ask from musical roadwork.

Hope he finds all the happiness he is looking for in the entire world!

If he couldn't find happiness at the O2 show and see all the happy faces in the audiences then maybe he'll have better luck with a second album and tour.

While on this subject I will predict right now, if he does make another cd with her, it will probably be the last. Plant's past history shows he makes 2-3 albums/cds with a group of musicians and moves on. Plant will be at least 62 years old by the time that tour concludes.

And lets open another can of worms. Plant kinda of made a safe move by hooking up with Krauss. How risky was that? He needed her more than she needed him. To date, she's won a huge number of Grammy awards; 20 prior to her latest with Plant. Plant could have picked anyone else but selected a safe bet with her. Maybe he found happiness with a safe easy bet?

Thus, making a bet on a possible Zeppelin project and tour could be the risky bet. Thus, he took the safe road. Nice. Hope he is happy.

So at the end of the day;why the hell did led zeppelin launch a New; Led Zeppelin Official

web site,It just don't make sense.was it all about keeping the fans up to date with the next release of the next Christmas "best of led zeppelin"digitally remastered C.D. Cmon now there must be more to starting a web site with the hope that the band was going to do something "together as a band" or was it just a way of watching how far they can mentally torment fans to the point where animosity amongst fans gets to breaking point. No more best off CD's or rehashing old songs.Is this purely about making money,Come clean and announce something .

Gosh, maybe its because so many think that this duet is weak. Its one thing to hear the music on CD, but to see it in person is another thing. I mean seeing the bearded older Plant with his LZ mates looks right................................up there with a lady young enough to be his daughter is another matter. :mellow:

Considering the album has sold millions world-wide, I should hardly say so many people think the duet is weak.

Considering the album has sold millions world-wide, I should hardly say so many people think the duet is weak.

I bought it, and I've never managed to get through the whole thing in one sitting. Incredibly bland.

But that's often the way with the best selling record of an artist's career. The really good stuff is always elsewhere.

It would not bother me so much if Plant decided to sing NO ZEPPELIN songs on this tour, but he decided to do a few. Why? What's wrong Bob, you don't think you can draw in enough fans with the bluegrass music alone? Need to jerk Zeppelin fans around some more by rehashing Zeppelin songs? cd not selling so well, so for a six figure sum you and Krauss needed some extra money and decide to sell one of your songs fo JC Penny, looking for some mainstream exposure?? If this project is so strong then play all the songs from this project and redo some bluegrass classics on stage! Leave the Zeppelin stuff out of it!! I've seen the various Plant/Krauss Zeppelin video clips on the net, not impressed! The hair on my arms does not stand up. Sorry. BlueGrass + Zeppelin?? What's next, a collaboration with Elvis from Dread Zeppelin?? Come on people, be true to yourself. Prior to Plant doing this project how many of you actually said, "Tonight, I'm going to listen to some bluegrass music, listen to some guy play the banjo"?

You don't need to lap up like a little puppy, everything Plant throws to you. Plant can do whatever makes him "happy". Well, I can show him how unhappy I am too. After watching the CMT concert, I decided not to buy his latest cd project and not bother with going to see him live either (I have attended all his prior tours). Screw it. We the fans can play this game too you know. Since I cant get you to read how unhappy MANY folks are with you then maybe you'll hear me better with less then expected cd sales and less than expected ticket sales.

It would not bother me so much if Plant decided to sing NO ZEPPELIN songs on this tour, but he decided to do a few. Why? What's wrong Bob, you don't think you can draw in enough fans with the bluegrass music alone? Need to jerk Zeppelin fans around some more by rehashing Zeppelin songs? cd not selling so well, so for a six figure sum you and Krauss needed some extra money and decide to sell one of your songs fo JC Penny, looking for some mainstream exposure?? If this project is so strong then play all the songs from this project and redo some bluegrass classics on stage! Leave the Zeppelin stuff out of it!! I've seen the various Plant/Krauss Zeppelin video clips on the net, not impressed! The hair on my arms does not stand up. Sorry. BlueGrass + Zeppelin?? What's next, a collaboration with Elvis from Dread Zeppelin?? Come on people, be true to yourself. Prior to Plant doing this project how many of you actually said, "Tonight, I'm going to listen to some bluegrass music, listen to some guy play the banjo"?

You don't need to lap up like a little puppy, everything Plant throws to you. Plant can do whatever makes him "happy". Well, I can show him how unhappy I am too. After watching the CMT concert, I decided not to buy his latest cd project and not bother with going to see him live either (I have attended all his prior tours). Screw it. We the fans can play this game too you know. Since I cant get you to read how unhappy MANY folks are with you then maybe you'll hear me better with less then expected cd sales and less than expected ticket sales.

Welcome to the forums! :)

I certainly understand where you're coming from, even if I don't really agree. Of course we don't have to like everything Robert does. I lost interest myself in his solo career for a good while after Now and Zen and Manic Nirvana...still don't like those albums at all, in fact. And it's hardly surprising that when Robert decides to do an album like Raising Sand, with a mixture of bluegrass, country and rockabilly, it won't be liked by many fans of Led Zeppelin. You're not alone.

As for myself I like some of it, and I am generally pleased with the quality of the performances, but in the end it's not really my cup of tea, and I don't feel at all excited by the prospect of another similar album. Many of us feel even more strongly about it as we know that the other band members would like to reunite LZ, and Robert seems intent not to do that, at least if we take his statements at face value.

But I think your anger, while perhaps understandable, does mislead you a bit. Rasing Sand has not only received a lot of critical acclaim (deservedly so, I think), but it has also sold very, very well. It's been a great success in that respect. And Robert is perfectly in his rights to use Zeppelin material and to change it as he sees fit - as are John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page. I think his decision to include LZ songs has more to do with acknowledging where he comes from than anything else, and that's to be respected.

Archived