1977 multi-tracks

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but a long time Zep fan. Does anyone know if Jimmy had anything in 1977 mutli-tracked(professionally recorded)? My belief is no, but you never know what he's got tucked away. I've read that he started recording shows in '72-'73, and also MSG 2-12-75, but I've never heard anything about '77. You know he probably won't release any video footage unless the audio was professionally recorded. Ah, if I was only old enough to see the mighty Zep.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but a long time Zep fan. Does anyone know if Jimmy had anything in 1977 mutli-tracked(professionally recorded)? My belief is no, but you never know what he's got tucked away. I've read that he started recording shows in '72-'73, and also MSG 2-12-75, but I've never heard anything about '77. You know he probably won't release any video footage unless the audio was professionally recorded. Ah, if I was only old enough to see the mighty Zep.

There would have had to be at some point or else fully-mixed soundboard boots like Destroyer would not exist. In order for these boots to have been mixed, multi-track would have needed to be utilized. Whether there is still any left, however, is another matter. It probably all got stolen, hence the multitude of mixed boots out there. I mean, if there were any left, surely Jimmy would have used it on "DVD"? After all, the Seattle show on that tour was filmed, and he could have just synched footage from a different show to that had there been no other option.

Edited by kashmiran

The odd thing is, the show that was supposedly filmed for the band, Seatlle '77, probably had multitrack at one point, too. But, no soundboard bootleg from that show has yet surfaced. This means that there's a good 90% chance he still has those recordings somewhere. Maybe he just lost them in that mess of tapes in his vault? :huh: (Any other guesses?)

Yes, now that I think about it, I did read an article in Guitar World (I think it was) where Jimmy was asked why he didn't use anything from '77 on DVD. He said he couldn't FIND any of the multi-tracks. Interesting. I was so happy to get the Seattle '77 DVD in 2003. I am from Seattle and waited many years for that one to see the light of day. I was so dissapointed! It's just not a good show in my opinion. Maybe we'll get to see Houston or Pontiac one day.

I was so dissapointed! It's just not a good show in my opinion. Maybe we'll get to see Houston or Pontiac one day.

Yeah, not the greatest show unfortunately, but at least it's a full '77 video. I'm also hoping for another complete 1977 show to appear on video some day soon!

I´m pretty sure there are some multitracks somewhere, but have a wild guess why they will not be released...ever! Just think of Seattle. Get my drift? B)

I hope at least some shows from 70-73 will see the light of my record store one day...

I´m pretty sure there are some multitracks somewhere, but have a wild guess why they will not be released...ever! Just think of Seattle. Get my drift? B)

I suspect you're right, in that nothing official will ever surface from 77 (if any such recordings are in existence). Erratic performances and Page's high quality control would put paid to that!

• 3 months later...
There would have had to be at some point or else fully-mixed soundboard boots like Destroyer would not exist.

Good point. I've often wondered why "Destroyer" sounds pretty much like an "Official live album" (despite the numerous cuts) while the Houston and Landover boards are your typically sterile sounding soundboards.

Wouldn't it just be the way if there were missing multitracks for one of the nights we don't have a bootleg recording for (i.e. St Louis, Dallas, Greensboro...)

• 5 years later...

I think what you're looking at is the shadow of the mic.

Well, that really sucks because I was hoping there would be a multitracked concert from '77. Is it possible if Jimmy could remix a soundboard recording?

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the good quality bootlegs are NOT multitracks as has been said time and time again just good audience or sb recordings...

But no multitracks just makes me sad... have to think that Jimmy was possibly planning to record some later show that never was ... maybe Japan... again just speculation...

• 1 year later...

Bumping this for more questioning.

I've never been able to find the interview where Jimmy says he has no multi-tracks from 77.  I'd be very interested in seeing/reading his specific wording, because there is a big difference between him saying he "can't find" multi-tracks and "there isn't any" multi-tracks from 77.  Having listened to April 27 in Cleveland, I do agree that the audio quality seems a step beyond soundboards....

Do we have photo evidence proving that multi-tracking didn't occur on any night of 77?  If so, and Jimmy said he "couldn't find" any, it's just a case of unfortunate wording.

Then again, we know that Jimmy has been stolen from in the past, and obviously it's also been decades since then.  Things get lost.  We also don't know if this was a case where the reels were given to another part.  The liner notes from Destroyer indicate the recording was given to the bootleggers with the blessing of John Bonham.

How likely is it that this was referring to a multi-track?   Even 4-tracks would be enough to explain the difference in quality.  Also, wouldn't it be strange if those bootleggers were only given special access for the 27th, but not the 28th?

If Jimmy said "can't find", that indicates to me that he remembers nights from 77 being multi-tracked, but that he no longer has those recordings.  Stolen or given away, it doesn't matter.   If he said "can't find", that makes it sound like they could still be out there.

It's complete rubbish for anyone to say there are no multi-tracks of the '77 tour.  I can assure you some of the LA Forum and Silverdome were in fact multi-tracked.   That is so absurd to say oh... the tour is winding down, we'll just multi-track those shows....

How do you know for sure? Have you seen the tapes or been told by a member of the band or entourage?

Yeah, the thing about multi-tracking is that it is relatively easy to tell if a show was multi-tracked by looking at photos.  A second microphone in front of the kick drum is a dead giveaway.  So I'm fairly certain we can confirm none of the LA shows were multi-tracked...I'm just asking if we're sure about every other night on the tour.

Yeah, the thing about multi-tracking is that it is relatively easy to tell if a show was multi-tracked by looking at photos.  A second microphone in front of the kick drum is a dead giveaway.  So I'm fairly certain we can confirm none of the LA shows were multi-tracked...I'm just asking if we're sure about every other night on the tour.

What about Pontiac? Did the kick have a second mike for that show? Since this was such a monumental show and they knew before hand they would be breaking attendance records they would have been quite remiss not to multi-track this gig. Then again with half the group and most of the support staff (including Cole & Grant) completely wasted 90% of the time being remiss was the least of their faults in 77'.