Southampton 73 questions

Derek Trucks

So what exists of Southampton 73 in the fans hands now? Im wondering if there is a soundboard out or fan-recorded audio, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

The multi-tracks are excellent. Note the developing "San Francisco" section of Dazed and Confused.

:) Yes. Great show, indeed. There were two shows in Southampton This one, at the University, they performed on a small area with a cool rug on the wooden stage. The college crowd were very animated (according to the audio and pictures). A cool black and white picture is in The Complete Led Zeppelin Concert File. Jonesy has a unique multi-colored vest on.

R B)

A soundboard boot does exist (I own it) it has either the second or third best sound of any Led Zeppelin boot the only ones that come close are Flying Circus(the best) or Texas Pop Festival. The performance is great too.

Edited by pinky

A soundboard boot does exist (I own it) it has either the second or third best sound of any Led Zeppelin boot the only ones that come close are Flying Circus(the best) or Texas Pop Festival. The performance is great too.

Hi,

This is pretty good quality and the 1973 stuff is pretty good.

Andy

Really great sound! :D

Have you noticed Jimmy´s strange guitar sound? It almost sounds as "clean" and harmless as on the BBC-session! Not a bit like standard 1973.

This is true. Not only is it "clean" but also very 'dry'. With a little bit of production work the guitar sound could be vastly improved. As a matter of fact, the recording as a whole could be vastly improved if it were to be given the attention that Kevin Shirley has to every Zep project he's done.

I guess Page doesn't consider this to be a great show and not worth the effort, otherwise I would think that since it's one of the few multi-trk recordings from this tour it would have been given alot of time and effort to make it sound as good as possible.

I guess Page doesn't consider this to be a great show and not worth the effort, otherwise I would think that since it's one of the few multi-trk recordings from this tour it would have been given alot of time and effort to make it sound as good as possible.

Page said when he was searching for new material to put out (eventually HTWWW/DVD) that he looked at this show, but decided not to release it because it is so similar to TSRTS. He felt that the fans would prefer something different and I agree with him - I would much prefer HTWWW over a Southampton show (if I had to choose).

• 5 years later...