Plantations

mad dog

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Help help! I have questions! I need the wisdom of long-time Zep fans to help me understand some things. (I just resurrected this old thread so I wouldn't have to make a new one.)

I've been reading through the earlier Plantations that are cataloged over on LedZeppelin-Reference.com, and I'm confused about a coupla things.

1) Robert is always telling people to be quiet and sit down.

K.B. Hallen, Copenhagen, DK / 3 May 1971
:

Whoa, stop stop stop, whoa, tell him, tell him, tell him to stop. Tell him if there's any trouble we walk off, right? We go. Leave him alone, leave him alone. We Can't play if there's going to be this going on through every number. Somebody better tell him in Danish what the score is. We cannot, we cannot play if there's going to be a constant passage of people moving. We'd rather people sit on the floor. So sit down. We want to give you a concert of music, and we cannot do it if there's a lot of people running around. So.

Sports Arena, San Diego, CA / 3 Sep 1970
:

Alright, right, OK? I say, it would be very cool if you could move back a bit. All these people, they can't see. I know it's a drag, but everybody wants to see. Sit down. Just for the time being, so everybody can keep quiet. Right, so everybody can move back, so everybody can see. Remember, if you were sitting down, you'd want to see right? Now you're not quiet are you? How are we going to be able to do anything with all that squeaking? Really, please try to be quiet.

The instance in Copenhagen sounds like he's partially talking to someone with the venue or security or something and partially talking to the audience. (Maybe that's what's going on in this pic? I dunno.) So I'm guessing in that instance maybe things were getting a bit too rough in the crowd?

But, like, the second example from California is pretty typical of what he'd say a lot. "Everybody sit down." "Everybody shut up." I'm confused. Why does he request this? :huh: Cuz, like, it's a rock concert, right? Does this mean people are getting out of hand?

And, like, there was one instance where he was getting irked with someone who was whistling... Hold on... Lemme find it...

Sports Arena, San Diego, CA / 3 Sep 1970 (again)
:

Right, if we could keep the people who whistle just whistling in between the numbers, then we can concentrate on what we're doing.

and, from the same show

Well you better start to sit down because the next number is also an acoustic number as well. This number features Jimmy on guitar, and it's an instrumental. So could you be quiet, alright? Nothing, listen man. Alright, has anybody sat down? Right, now shut up there. Anyway, heavy heavy vibes. There's no acoustic number, sorry. How can he, he hasn't been able to tune up. Listen, you tried everything, we tried everything. He can't tune the guitar when it's only an acoustic guitar. You've all got acoustic guitars at home, and you know what it's like trying to play it with the television on.

(San Diego appears to have given them trouble in retrospect.)

So, if one dude in the audience is whistling, can that really throw off a performer's ear? And is it really that hard to tune a guitar when people are too noisy? (That's a sincere question! Not being sarcastic. I don't know.) So is this why he's always telling people to shut up?

Why is he always telling people to sit down and shut up? That's what I want to know.

2) Is it just me, or does he not make any sense half the time? :huh: I mean, I love listening to him talk between songs, but I've recently noticed that I don't know what he's talking about. (It's such an interesting sound to an American ear, though, that it's neat to listen to anyway.)

One dude in this thread said this:

The King of the Inside Joke

Is that what it is? Are they all inside jokes? Or is he completely bombed out of his mind on something? Or is that just the weird way that he describes things? ... Or am I really dense?

So, yes, those are my issues that I bring forth to the sages. :) If anyone feels like answering...

Hi Kate,

I'm certainly not a sage but I will try to answer your first question. I was at several LZ concerts and I do remember Robert admonishing the audience members to sit down and be quiet and listen to the music. He did it at almost every show I attended but I always thought it was more in the manner of an older brother talking to younger kids. The language he used was the way so many guys and rockers talked back then. I think it seems harsher now when we read it. I think the primary reason he did it was because he sincerely wanted us to listen to and appreciate the music - especially if a new song was being introduced. If the band did a rousing tune followed by an acoustic song it was hard to get everyone settled down so we could really hear and listen to the quieter tunes. I never witnessed any violence at any of the Zep shows I attended and I never felt afraid but I think Robert sensed that the crowd had the potential to get out of control. There were often fans trying to climb up on stage (and at one show a few actually made it onto the stage and the boards split) and there was enough rowdiness so that at two other shows I attended the houselights were flashed on several times in an effort to get the kids to calm down. I don't know how the whistling would affect a performer so I can't help you answer that part of your question. At several shows I saw fans throw things up on stage and if it was something that landed with an audible thump you could see Robert jump slightly and look over in that direction. :)

Help help! I have questions! I need the wisdom of long-time Zep fans to help me understand some things. (I just resurrected this old thread so I wouldn't have to make a new one.)

I've been reading through the earlier Plantations that are cataloged over on LedZeppelin-Reference.com, and I'm confused about a coupla things.

But, like, the second example from California is pretty typical of what he'd say a lot. "Everybody sit down." "Everybody shut up." I'm confused. Why does he request this? :huh: Cuz, like, it's a rock concert, right? Does this mean people are getting out of hand?

So, yes, those are my issues that I bring forth to the sages. :) If anyone feels like answering...

1)...

MadScreamingGallery said it best about how Plant wants the people listening to the music. Not only enjoying themselves but listening as well.

And they can't very well listen to the performance while screaming, whistling, and/or shouting over the songs. :o

2)...

That's all really, Plant sometimes would say things only those around him would understand. He's just having his own personal fun I suppose :) Having a few boots myself, lots of Plant's Plantations make me think, "What?" :P

K.B. Hallen, Copenhagen, DK / 3 May 1971
:

Whoa, stop stop stop, whoa, tell him, tell him, tell him to stop. Tell him if there's any trouble we walk off, right? We go. Leave him alone, leave him alone. We Can't play if there's going to be this going on through every number. Somebody better tell him in Danish what the score is. We cannot, we cannot play if there's going to be a constant passage of people moving. We'd rather people sit on the floor. So sit down. We want to give you a concert of music, and we cannot do it if there's a lot of people running around. So.

Sports Arena, San Diego, CA / 3 Sep 1970
:

Alright, right, OK? I say, it would be very cool if you could move back a bit. All these people, they can't see. I know it's a drag, but everybody wants to see. Sit down. Just for the time being, so everybody can keep quiet. Right, so everybody can move back, so everybody can see. Remember, if you were sitting down, you'd want to see right? Now you're not quiet are you? How are we going to be able to do anything with all that squeaking? Really, please try to be quiet.

The instance in Copenhagen sounds like he's partially talking to someone with the venue or security or something and partially talking to the audience. (Maybe that's what's going on in this pic? I dunno.) So I'm guessing in that instance maybe things were getting a bit too rough in the crowd?

And, like, there was one instance where he was getting irked with someone who was whistling... Hold on... Lemme find it...

Sports Arena, San Diego, CA / 3 Sep 1970 (again)
:

Right, if we could keep the people who whistle just whistling in between the numbers, then we can concentrate on what we're doing.

and, from the same show

Well you better start to sit down because the next number is also an acoustic number as well. This number features Jimmy on guitar, and it's an instrumental. So could you be quiet, alright? Nothing, listen man. Alright, has anybody sat down? Right, now shut up there. Anyway, heavy heavy vibes. There's no acoustic number, sorry. How can he, he hasn't been able to tune up. Listen, you tried everything, we tried everything. He can't tune the guitar when it's only an acoustic guitar. You've all got acoustic guitars at home, and you know what it's like trying to play it with the television on.

(San Diego appears to have given them trouble in retrospect.)

So, if one dude in the audience is whistling, can that really throw off a performer's ear? And is it really that hard to tune a guitar when people are too noisy? (That's a sincere question! Not being sarcastic. I don't know.) So is this why he's always telling people to shut up?

Why is he always telling people to sit down and shut up? That's what I want to know.

2) Is it just me, or does he not make any sense half the time? :huh: I mean, I love listening to him talk between songs, but I've recently noticed that I don't know what he's talking about. (It's such an interesting sound to an American ear, though, that it's neat to listen to anyway.)

One dude in this thread said this:

Is that what it is? Are they all inside jokes? Or is he completely bombed out of his mind on something? Or is that just the weird way that he describes things? ... Or am I really dense?

Hello Kayte

Its a fact and and a shame that crowds of young people can often act like idiots, sometimes things can get real dangerous, ive witnessed this at soccer matches and rock concerts.

The tradgedy at Altamont had just happened and Zeps own Italian disaster, where it was a miracle no one was killed.

Robert had to act as crowd control sometimes, this is just one of those things, sadly, a man was killed at a 77 show and The Who had their own disaster in 79 where 11 died.

I hope this has'nt scared you too much!

As for Roberts cryptic plantations, yes, a lot of them were inside jokes!

You sometimes need to guess to interprit what he's talking about.

Example- after moby dick in Vancouver 75 Plant says 'Today is not John Bonhams birthday!'

One can only assume Roberts referencing fun and games offstage that Bonzo missed

Crowds were getting VERY rowdy in the late sixties/early seventies, some shows I went to got out of hand really. Many bootlegs from these years (not just Zeppelin) feature performers telling the crowd to move back or clear walkways or STOP THROWING FIRECRACKERS!!! At the second Oakland '77 show I watched some drunken a$$hole throw a empty(naturally) Jack Daniels bottle at the stage, smacking some poor girl square in the back of the head! They carried her off on a strecher. Not cool!

As far as inside jokes there are many references to what ever the band is doing for entertainment between shows, like all the Monty Python references on Badgeholders. For example "John 'two loonies' Loonie Bonham" is a reference to "spot the loonie" and "Arthur 'two sheds' Jackson".

(Edited for all the usual *&^%$#@! spelling errors again!)

Thank you for all the explanations! I really needed input from people with experience, so there wasn't any other way to get answers besides asking you folks.

The language he used was the way so many guys and rockers talked back then. I think it seems harsher now when we read it.

Right! I tried to keep in mind that a transcription isn't necessarily going to convey the whole message. (Plus, like, I dunno if it was just my upbringing, but I got in trouble as a kid every time I said "shut up," so now it sounds extra harsh.)

I think the primary reason he did it was because he sincerely wanted us to listen to and appreciate the music - especially if a new song was being introduced. If the band did a rousing tune followed by an acoustic song it was hard to get everyone settled down so we could really hear and listen to the quieter tunes.

MadScreamingGallery said it best about how Plant wants the people listening to the music. Not only enjoying themselves but listening as well.

And they can't very well listen to the performance while screaming, whistling, and/or shouting over the songs. :o

Yeah, I thought that was part of it... I saw Mr. Plant in concert in 2002, I believe, and he made a big fuss for everyone to be quiet before "Song to the Siren." So I was thinking it was partially due to appreciation for the music, but I wasn't sure if there was something else to it.

Like, a buncha times he said things like, "Everyone needs to sit down, because the people behind you can't see." And it just... seemed like church for a second. lol

Its a fact and and a shame that crowds of young people can often act like idiots, sometimes things can get real dangerous, ive witnessed this at soccer matches and rock concerts.

The tradgedy at Altamont had just happened and Zeps own Italian disaster, where it was a miracle no one was killed.

Robert had to act as crowd control sometimes, this is just one of those things, sadly, a man was killed at a 77 show and The Who had their own disaster in 79 where 11 died.

Cool! Thank you for putting this all into historical perspective.

I hope this has'nt scared you too much!

I'm much too foolish to be scared. :P

Crowds were getting VERY rowdy in the late sixties/early seventies, some shows I went to got out of hand really. Many bootlegs from these years (not just Zeppelin) feature performers telling the crowd to move back or clear walkways or STOP THROWING FIRECRACKERS!!! At the second Oakland '77 show I watched some drunken a$hole throw a empty(naturally) Jack Daniels bottle at the stage, smacking some poor girl square in the back of the head! They carried her off on a strecher. Not cool!

Not cool indeed! And that's interesting to know about crowds in the late 60s/early 70s. Cuz, like, every culture/society seems to have different crowds. Don't people say that the kids go nuts in the UK at concerts? At least more so than in America? And it seems like I read somewhere that Zep was leery about performing in Denmark (I think) because those crowds weren't very lively. Interesting stuff... Someone should study this and get a grad degree out of it.

As for Roberts cryptic plantations, yes, a lot of them were inside jokes!

You sometimes need to guess to interprit what he's talking about.

Example- after moby dick in Vancouver 75 Plant says 'Today is not John Bonhams birthday!'

One can only assume Roberts referencing fun and games offstage that Bonzo missed

As far as inside jokes there are many references to what ever the band is doing for entertainment between shows, like all the Monty Python references on Badgeholders. For example "John 'two loonies' Loonie Bonham" is a reference to "spot the loonie" and "Arthur 'two sheds' Jackson".

I wonder why all the inside jokes? Perhaps to make the people he referenced feel warm and special? To bring the audience into the "inside" for a moment in an attempt at creating a feeling of intimacy?

Examples of inside jokes?:

Thee Image Club, Miami, FL / 14 Feb 1969

Right now we'd like to feature, um, one of Che Guevara's friends. We'd like to feature the drums of John Bonham.

Musicarnival, Warrensville Heights, OH / 20 Jul 1969

And, ah, for any gate keepers in the audience... this is called "You Shook Me."

And then there's a buncha stuff in the Earl's Court performances (the DVD) that is very entertaining but doesn't string together for me. Like... It sounds like he's just sorta singing to himself sometimes and then he sounds like he's quoting someone or something..?.. And then right when you think he finished a sentence that makes half a bit of sense, he tacks on a prepositional phrase that blows it to pieces. And then he'll start talking with funny accents. :lol: His Dallas accent was pretty good -- he got that dipping, back-throated A-sound out very admirably. Oh, and I didn't know who "Dennis" was at first.

Suppertime! I gotta go! :o

Thank you, Kayte, and everyone, for resurrecting this thread! I would love to have all the Plantations written down, with the context and everything... What a great lecture would that be!

Now, I have a question myself:

On the Hot Dog performance at Knebworth, Robert is talking a lot at the beginning and at the end, but (due to the fact that English is a foreign language for me), I don't completely understand what he's saying. For example, is he talking about a goat and a van?? What happened there?

Now, I have a question myself:

On the Hot Dog performance at Knebworth, Robert is talking a lot at the beginning and at the end, but (due to the fact that English is a foreign language for me), I don't completely understand what he's saying. For example, is he talking about a goat and a van?? What happened there?

English is a foreign language for you because you're from Transilvania and people talk like Dracular thar. :o If you're Dracular, you best be kill't. (Haha! I was watching Squidbillies.) I'm just kidding around.

I know what you're saying! I cock my head like a puppy at some of the sounds in the plantations. Like... "Americur." :huh: Arrroo? *puppy head cock* It's fun to listen to! I should start (or resurrect) an "accent" thread when I have more time...

I don't know the plantation you speak of, but it intrigues me...

Years ago (two years ago,) this gentleman made a good recommendation:

There's a web site devoted to Plantations here:

http://www.rambleonzep.com

Upon visiting said site, I found some transcriptions from Knebworth:

http://www.rambleonz.../1979-08-04.htm

I don't know if you want the performance on the 4th or the 11th, but I think the one you want is the 11th... I think!

EDIT:

zdr, I suddenly started wondering if you are from Romania or something. If so... I didn't mean to offend. :unsure: ... Unless you're a gypsy! Haha! No, I'm joshin'...

EDIT EDIT:

Cuz you seem like a native English-speaker. My foot is just waaaay in my mouth right now...

English is a foreign language for you because you're from Transilvania and people talk like Dracular thar. :o If you're Dracular, you best be kill't. (Haha! I was watching Squidbillies.) I'm just kidding around.

I know what you're saying! I cock my head like a puppy at some of the sounds in the plantations. Like... "Americur." :huh: Arrroo? *puppy head cock* It's fun to listen to! I should start (or resurrect) an "accent" thread when I have more time...

I don't know the plantation you speak of, but it intrigues me...

Years ago (two years ago,) this gentleman made a good recommendation:

Upon visiting said site, I found some transcriptions from Knebworth:

http://www.rambleonz.../1979-08-04.htm

I don't know if you want the performance on the 4th or the 11th, but I think the one you want is the 11th... I think!

EDIT:

zdr, I suddenly started wondering if you are from Romania or something. If so... I didn't mean to offend. :unsure: ... Unless you're a gypsy! Haha! No, I'm joshin'...

EDIT EDIT:

Cuz you seem like a native English-speaker. My foot is just waaaay in my mouth right now...

:lol: Kayte, you are one of my favorite posters on here, because of your wit and humor.

Well.. :D I'm really from Transylvania (Romania), from a city called Cluj Napoca. I'm not a gypsy :lol: and I fully agree with your sentiments about them ... screw the political correctness)

(thanks for appreciate my English..I learned it by the ear <_< )

The site with plantations didn't help too much (I couldn't find the transcripts). But I found that specific bit into a clip on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswI-l-_9Hk&feature=related

"The man who said he could go back to a building site at any time, and we all agreed."

"The Rhinestone cowgirl... Come on Bonzo, get on with it! That's what the Quaalude stagger is."

"A Man, who many people once said.. never heard of him."

All from the Over The Top/Moby Dick intro from the 21/6/77. Always love listening to that,

The site with plantations didn't help too much (I couldn't find the transcripts). But I found that specific bit into a clip on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswI-l-_9Hk&feature=related

Hey Jimmy !!!!!! Are you alright Jimmy? Do you think he'll still have his sense of humour? I got a package of Maple Leaf hot dogs on sale for 79 cents yesterday.

Hey Jimmy !!!!!! Are you alright Jimmy? Do you think he'll still have his sense of humour? I got a package of Maple Leaf hot dogs on sale for 79 cents yesterday.

Who's the person who owned that goat and the little wagon that we saw two nights ago camping out there?

Come around to the back afterwards and write an acoustic set with us!

Who's the person who owned that goat and the little wagon that we saw two nights ago camping out there?

That was funny. I literally did get a package of Maple Leaf hot dogs on sale for 79 cents though. I cracked up so hard when I saw the title of that video the next day. I was at the store possibly before it was posted. Hang on, I'll check....yup. About three hours earlier.

Chicago, 6 April 1977

"There's an area in England ah, the early industrial revolution in England took place in the midlands. ah That's where me and Bonzo come from. It's called the Black Country. It's the land where the men are men and the sheep are nervous."

Chicago, 6 April 1977

"There's an area in England ah, the early industrial revolution in England took place in the midlands. ah That's where me and Bonzo come from. It's called the Black Country. It's the land where the men are men and the sheep are nervous."

Isn't it after that that Jimmy randomly says "it's better to live one day as a king than a lifetime as a peasant?' Or something along those lines.

THANK YOU!!!! Finally, I found out what he's saying! That was the bit!

• 3 months later...

Speaking of Plantations, there's one in particular I'm looking for.

I'm sure it's from one of the nights at the L.A Forum in 1977. Plant says something about Jimmy losing his trousers (or something like that).

Anyone know which night it's from??

From Uniondale, NY, 2/14/75.

And a very good evening to you, and while we come to think about it um, today is one of the last of the pagan traditions, that's carried on into the twentieth century. It's a day for sowing the wild seeds, in fact, now they call it St. Valentine's day. So Happy St. Valentine's day. In fact, I think we should dedicate this whole show to St. Valentine. He's done us a lot of good, even when he hasn't got a day. Well, we're gonna do some things for the benefit of MR. Kite. We're gonna do some things from the last six and a half years of our existence. We're gonna cut, we intend to ah, we intend to cut ah, take a knife and cut right through the glorious ice cream of Led Zeppelin, and give you a little bit of vanilla, little bit of chocolate, a little bot of color, a little bit of everything, and maybe a few changes too for the benefit of one or two people who've been before. Right, this is...

The parts in bold are my favorite. :lol:

I heard one recently...............something about the man selling hot brains?! At least I think that's what it was.

I wondered if anyone thinks like me that Robert Plant could have had an outstanding 2nd career choice as an arbitrator/negotiator or diplomat?

Of course, no need to since that singing tryout for Jimmy worked out pretty well. :D

I wondered if anyone thinks like me that Robert Plant could have had an outstanding 2nd career choice as an arbitrator/negotiator or diplomat?

Er, no. Nobody can understand/agree on what he means half the time. Of course, that could be a useful qualification, come to think of it! :D

Archived