Open letter to Robert

ally

BBC TV reported this morning that the tour would go ahead next year and he was sure that the new singer to play with Jimmy, John and Jason was, Myles Kennedy from Alterbridge.

Heres a clip of Alterbridge doing a cover of 'Kashmir'. A bit more 'Guns & Roses than 'Zep'

This one is better quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNnBisii1M...feature=related

I disagree with that - but lets say you're right - does critical acclaim only come from people who weren't Zeppelin fans in the 70s? Is that an exclusive club that critics join?

It's exclusive to the bandwagon they're on, and I happen to think that he is too concerned about the negative bandwagon that is and has alway's been there. However, we're getting away from the point of this letter. There is no attempt to be nasty on my part I just feel that it would be great if he were on board and thought I'd say something about it.

RP has made some good and bad music since 1980, I remember buying 'Pictures at Eleven' the day it came out, then when 'The Principle of moments' came out you could sense a change somewhat to do with the technology of the era creeping into the sounds and writing, I started to lose interest in RPs music. Then bang, Live Aid was here, and I sat there with baited breath for 'Zeppelin', so they say say it was crap, I didn't think so, loved every shit minute of it. Since that day there has been rumours about tours virtually every two years, and virtually every time RP has been blamed for scuppering the deal, I do believe that if RP had said 'yes' in 1986 aafter those rehearsals in Bath and had been of different character then the band may have still been active to this day.

However, RP strikes me as being selfish, he did a form of Zep with his manic nirvana crowd, satisfied himself with Page on their two collaborations and has teased the public with his 'never say never' interviews about a Zep reunion in the last few years. A Control freak maybe?

If RP 'doesn't want to do loud music anymore' quote JPJ, then so be it, RP has probably lost his voice somewhat, and lets face it he is an OAP, and will be receiving his winter fuel allowance from the government this xmas.

Dear RP,

you will be letting a lot of people down with your decision but have a happy xmas and spend the fuel allowance wisely. I will never want to go and see you perform with that bird you've been on the road with, but you never know i may bump into you at a Gwyn Ashton gig in some remote pub somewhere in the midlands. Best of luck old boy. :)

Ally, I do believe this is a nice wish from you.

But see what someone else had to post here, do you really think it's a good way to reach Robert?

I really do wish people would take a more positive view on the subject. I respect his decision but I think he is making a mistake. Just an opinion and not a slag. As for if this is a good way to get through to Robert... I don't know. I haven't got another avenue.

Ally, I do believe this is a nice wish from you.

But see what someone else had to post here, do you really think it's a goog way to reach Robert?

Agreed. It seems to me that Ally is trying to be sincere, unfortunately he/she doesn't have any control over what others post in this topic.

Many different threads have been started over the last month such as, RP says, "no", New singer for Led Zep, The three J's rehearsing...etc, etc. They all seem to deteriorate into nasty things being said about RP personally, his previous solo career and his current one with AK. Is there any other singer, in rock, who has had so much shit thrown at him on a forum that is supposed to be fan based?

I understand people are disappointed but I don't understand the nastiness. I think people can disagree with his decision about rejoining Zep and his career decisions past and current. They should be able to voice their opinions, but, why the hate? (not talking about you, Ally)

I'm a big fan of Zep but the things that are going on with the band don't really affect the quality of my life. Although we all visit the forum and enjoy talking about the band and it's music, this all has to be put into some kind of perspective.

Ally was trying to be sincere but some people have to come in and start with the negative comments about Plant. This is just hard for me to understand.

In spite of overwhelming demands and support for a REAL ZEPPELIN Tour, Robert Plant ignores his loyal fans which have afforded him the luxury to not tour in favour of touring for the benefit of "little Robert Plant Jr."

I say, Boycott all Robert Plant CDs and concerts until Robert Plant Sr. is back in control so that he can treat Zeppelin fans the way he should and the way they deserve.

The last thing we want to see is a Pink Floyd scenario play out. (Shame on you, David Gilmour!)

Your loyal fan,

Hakim Usman, 48-year young, Dazed & Confused

Keep it in the family, I hope that this is what the band is trying to do. I cannot see LED ZEPPELIN going on tour with anyone else other than Robert Plant. Even if Robert doesn't do this reunion tour, LED ZEPPELIN cannot be LED ZEPPELIN with another singer singing "Stairway To Heaven" or 'Whole Lotta Love."

Hey ZFF, you have an excellent point- keep it in the family! And why not have Robert's son Logan as lead singer? Can you hear his son singing Zeppelin songs? (say that fast three times...) ;)

In spite of overwhelming demands and support for a REAL ZEPPELIN Tour, Robert Plant ignores his loyal fans which have afforded him the luxury to not tour in favour of touring for the benefit of "little Robert Plant Jr."

I say, Boycott all Robert Plant CDs and concerts until Robert Plant Sr. is back in control so that he can treat Zeppelin fans the way he should and the way they deserve.

The last thing we want to see is a Pink Floyd scenario play out. (Shame on you, David Gilmour!)

Your loyal fan,

Hakim Usman, 48-year young, Dazed & Confused

Oh yeah, that'll get him back on board right away. He'll have a great time with the band then. :rolleyes: Especially since he's got "loyal fans" like you.

I agree with Lynn. You had the best of intentions, ally, but just the mention of Plant's name is going to attract that sort of post these days, sadly.

I dont think anyone hates Robert Plant. The nasty things that have been posted here ( amd I am guilty too) are the reaction some fans feel because the only thing that prevents Zeppelin (this is assuming the O2 show was Zeppelin) from touring again is RP.

I think most of us wish Robert would be like Mr. Spock of the Starship Enterprise in the following ............

Star Trek fans remember the line.

Spock is explaining his actions to James Kirk. The Vulcan entered a radiation-filled section of the U.S.S. Enterprise, even though to do so meant certain death. It was the only way to bring the main engines back online in time to save the lives of his shipmates.

Fighting the effects of the deadly radiation Spock rasps, "It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Kirk finishes the statement for his friend, "Or the one."

But that was fiction. In real life selfless acts are diminishing and will soon be gone forever from our society. Selfishness rules. Me first rules. Look at Wall Street. Look at professional atheltes. Look at politicians. These are the pampered minority that dictate to the majority.

Most wouldnt know HOW to be selfless if they tried.

Oh yeah, that'll get him back on board right away. He'll have a great time with the band then. :rolleyes: Especially since he's got "loyal fans" like you.

I agree with Lynn. You had the best of intentions, ally, but just the mention of Plant's name is going to attract that sort of post these days, sadly.

Yeah, I can see that. Not my intention at all. If the mods wish to pull this thread, they'll get no argument from me. Time to go and rake leaves :D

I dont think anyone hates Robert Plant. The nasty things that have been posted here ( amd I am guilty too) are the reaction some fans feel because the only thing that prevents Zeppelin (this is assuming the O2 show was Zeppelin) from touring again is RP.

IMO it is fine to be critical of RP but without the nastiness directed at him personally or professionally. It only takes a little bit of thought before posting.

In real life selfless acts are diminishing and will soon be gone forever from our society. Selfishness rules. Me first rules. Look at Wall Street. Look at professional atheltes. Look at politicians. These are the pampered minority that dictate to the majority.

Most wouldnt know HOW to be selfless if they tried.

Are you making a comparison between these things and RP's decision not to tour with Zep? If so, I'd say that's reaching pretty far. In my mind, this comparison has no perspective.

Ally,

I don't think you should have the thread pulled, the thread is appropriate, some responses were not appropriate.

I apologize to you because I think I may have been responsible for causing the thread to go off topic.

^^You weren't the one causing anything to go off-topic, lynn.

But as the thread is still here, let me just say to some other posters that if Plant was selfish, he'd take the path that would cause people to shower him with praise for rethinking his decision, and discover they'd really loved him all along, wouldn't he? ;)

:peace:

Lynn, you have not done anything to take this off topic.

Rorer, I just don't want this thread to go the way so many have. I would continue the discusion if we didn't already have so many of those :D

IMO it is fine to be critical of RP but without the nastiness directed at him personally or professionally. It only takes a little bit of thought before posting.

Agreed, the issue is as each side expresses opinion the pendulum swings farther and farther from center. Those defending Robert Plant (the plantologists) condemn those who are disappointed with his decision ( the reunionist ). Opinions on each side are diminished or ignored, Each side believes they are right, and defend their parties ideology. Before long no middle ground on any opinion can be reached. All parties agree to disagree. Meanwhile the focal point of the controversy ( Robert Plant ) takes the brunt of the rhetoric.

Funny how this seems to be a template for alot of conflicts in the world today...........

Those defending Robert Plant (the plantologists) condemn those who are disappointed with his decision ( the reunionist ).

Oh really? From what I've seen here, it went mostly in the other way...

Reaction is one thing, but throw shit on someone again and again is something different IMO.

Oh really? From what I've seen here, it went mostly in the other way...

Reaction is one thing, but throw shit on someone again and again is something different IMO.

POINT TAKEN.....

Agreed, the issue is as each side expresses opinion the pendulum swings farther and farther from center. Those who are disappointed with his decision ( the reunionist ) condemn those defending Robert Plant (the plantologists). Opinions on each side are diminished or ignored, Each side believes they are right, and defend their parties ideology. Before long no middle ground on any opinion can be reached. All parties agree to disagree. Meanwhile the focal point of the controversy ( Robert Plant ) takes the brunt of the rhetoric.

Funny how this seems to be a template for alot of conflicts in the world today...........

Feel Better.....

Agreed, the issue is as each side expresses opinion the pendulum swings farther and farther from center. Those defending Robert Plant (the plantologists) condemn those who are disappointed with his decision ( the reunionist ). Opinions on each side are diminished or ignored, Each side believes they are right, and defend their parties ideology. Before long no middle ground on any opinion can be reached. All parties agree to disagree. Meanwhile the focal point of the controversy ( Robert Plant ) takes the brunt of the rhetoric.

As a so called Plant apologist I don't condemn people for being disappointed by his decision, in fact I share it as do other so called apologists. I do condemn some of the viciousness and nastiness that is hurled his way from some so called fans and some obvioulsy Zep but not Plant fans ( weakest link in the Zep band some have stated). Given that his voice defines Zep as much as Jimmys guitar I find that hard to figure with some people. So condemn me!!!

Fair enough if people are unhappy with his decision but do it without the absolute shite that flies around at times.

Its disrespectful to him, Jimmy and Jonesy and his old best mate Bonzo and the name of Led Zeppelin.

I don't agree with those that say he is disrespecting the fans with his decision and given the insults of some then they don't deserve his respect.

Ally its a pity that your heartfelt sentiments are getting lost in the midst of the insults but I respect your sentiments and right to express them even if I am not in total agreement with some of what you first posted. I too saw Zep in the 70's and last year and missed them immensely in the intervening years.

But I still followed the musicians I respect, admire and have idolised for 39 years and will continue to do so regardless of whether they meet my wishes or desires. Equally its great that younger newer fans feel so passionately and I wish they could all feel what its like at a show and thats why it's so hard for some to accept he won't do it.

If Robert were to change his mind then no one will be as happy as I would be.

He won't change it because of what you or I feel but I agree its important that he understands the passion people feel for the music of Led Zeppelin. I believe he knows and understands cos the reaction he gets when he plays the songs is something special.

As much as I wanted and still want them to be together I really don't want it to be with him or even if it were oneof the others where they don't enjoy it and can't give that 100% to it. That would ruin it for me and I believe would mar the Led Zeppelin legacy which lets face it is something pretty wonderful B)

Archived