Mitch Mitchell, R.I.P.

FireOpal

We're losing too many great ones...

Drummer for Jimi Hendrix found dead, officials say

PORTLAND, Ore. – Authorities say Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s, has been found dead in his Portland hotel room.

Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, says Mitchell was found dead a little after 3 a.m. Wednesday in his room at the Benson Hotel in downtown Portland.

She says Mitchell apparently died of natural causes at 62. An autopsy is planned.

Mitchell was touring with the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed Friday at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast part of the tour.

Hendrix died in 1970. Noel Redding, bassist for the trio, died in 2003.

_45201102_jimiget.jpg

RIP. I saw Mitch Mitchell with Jimi Hendrix in 1968.

The Benson is a nice hotel in Portland. I guess it's as good a place as any to check out when your time comes.

Mitch Mitchell, stickman for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, was found dead today in a Portland, Ore., hotel room.

The drummer, who had been on the road with the Experience Hendrix Tour, apparently died of natural causes, according to the city's medical examiner, but an autopsy is planned. Mitchell was 61.

Aside from backing Hendrix on such classics as "Foxy Lady," "Purple Haze" and "All Along the Watchtower," Mitchell also jammed with the likes of John Lennon, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards.

Mitchell was the last surviving member of Hendrix's groundbreaking, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame trio. Hendrix died in 1970, and bassist Noel Redding, in 2003.

eonline.com

Egad... that's pretty much down the street for me.

I looked up some Youtube footage from the current tour. "Fire" shows he can still play the busy style if he chooses... chose. damn.

I guess this is going to get worse, seeing as most of my favorite music came out a few years before I was born.

This hurts me worse than any other recent rocknroll death. :(

I was lucky enough to meet Mitch Mitchell with Billy Cox at a small gig they did with a guitarist doing 2 Hendrix numbers. Voodoo Child and Freedom. Even got to speak with him and Billy. Saw and spoke with Noel Redding several years ago too, so along with Buddy Miles, they are ALL gone now. This is devasting.

I'd have to say Mitch Mitchell was my all-time favorite drummer, mixing such a jazz flair in his rock.

I heard this news while listening to the Phil Valentine Show today and ironically just yesterday some of the 'break' music they played was astonishingly "Peace in Mississippi", a rather obscure Jimi Hendrix Experience tune.

This and Jimmy Carl Black's death (original Mothers of Invention member) in a week. :(

Archived