Ten Years Gone

caroselambra~

i absolutely love this song

i think it's the most moving, tinged with melancholy, track they ever recorded.

the guitar solo somewhere past the middle is pure bliss and the keyboard bit just after is inspired

i've listened to it a thousand times and it's still not played out.

does anyone have any thoughts on it?

it's one of my favourites, too. musically, i think it's brilliant. it's really the reason LZ was what they were, perfectly contained. sure, it's one of many such songs, but also one of the underrated ones.

i used to toy around on guitar. once i learned a song, the magic of it faded away. i never got the whole of TYG down, but not once did it disappoint on that level.

Like you, it hasn't worn out it's welcome with me either. Along with IMTOD it's probably my favorite song on PG

Same here. Without a doubt one of my favorite songs off the album. I love the haunting lyrics and Jimmy's opening guitar is just gorgeous.

my understanding is JP agonized over this one. not that he didn't do that a lot, but i want to say the arrangement of it was difficult even for him. thankfully he was a perfectionist ~ in lesser hands this could really have been a mess.

I also LOVE this song! :D

"This song was first intended to be an instrumental number. Jimmy used some 14 guitar tracks to overdub the harmony section. Some suspect that this is the long lost 'Swan Song'. When it was played live in 1977, JPJ used a unique three-necked guitar to help recreate the wall of sound. This instrument was made for JPJ by guitar technician Andy Manson and JPJ used it along with base pedals. It became too much for JPJ to handle live and was discarded."

Said Robert: "'Ten Years Gone' was painstakingly pieced together from sections Jimmy had written. After the tremendous concentration on a song like that, we'd play anything to loosen up. Out ot that came 'Trampled Underfoot' and 'Custard Pie'."

I bought PG sometime between the first of the '75 shows I saw and the last '75 shows I saw so when I first listened to the album, I was focused on hearing those songs that I heard Zep play live. The first two sides of PG, I thought, were near perfect. Although I love "Ten Years Gone", when the song started, it didn't really appeal to me - it was only at that part where Robert sings '....I think of you, and how it used to be' followed by Jimmy's powerful and emotional guitar solo that I sat up and took notice. And then that achingly beautiful verse that followed it... I nearly wore out the vinyl playing those three sections of the song over and over again.

And now those days live only in memory.

For those of us who have them, what wonderful memories they are.

When people ask me what is my favorite LZ song, I often reply "I have no answer for you, because I don't have one... they're all too good".

But over the years, I've been through stuff that have left big scars on me; life lessons that are never forgotten, and there's always something that reminds me of all these experiences... and that something.. is Ten Years Gone.

I recognize now that... Ten Years Gone... is my favorite Led Zeppelin song... actually my favorite song of all-time. I know it sounds ridiculous, but sometimes I feel Led Zeppelin made that song just for me. Even when I was born a few years after the band split.

From "Then, as it was, then again it will be" to "ten years gone, holding on, ten years gone", is my fucking life right there.

Whoa... I finally got the led out...

bartender, what an excellent post. i think perhaps that is what music is for at it's most healing.

as for the song that chose you, you could have done much worse.

to watch page play this song live was one of the highlights of my life. no man can lay down the passion onstage like our boy. the master...

Archived