Queen or Zeppelin

zepfan1

I know this could be debated for years but I saw this on the votenumber1 site while casting my vote for Zep

this was a post there...any thoughts? this is a bunch of nonsense!!!!! <_<

‘Rating the Music’ read carefully:

Queen have better songwriting skills. Queen became the first and

currently the only band to have ever been inducted into the Songwriters Hall

of Fame. The band are also the only group in which every member has

composed more than one chart-topping single. Queen was the rock band that

gave birth to the most known rock anthems and rock epic songs ("We Will

Rock You," "We Are the Champions," "Stone Cold Crazy," "Another One

Bite the Dust", “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” etc..). From their

first hit "Keep Yourself Alive" to their top "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the

epic last songs "Innuendo" and "The Show Must Go On," Queen had

continuously been teaching the musical world how rock music should be. How

you can create something unique and techincally perfect by mixing the

best of the available influences. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, used

only a very hard and heavy rock sound that made it difficult to gain

attention, and as a result only one song, their "Stairway to Heaven" is no!

w widely known. Queen mixed up all those previous rock styles and

created a bombastic, excessive at times, glam rock that is until now their

trademark. Mercury’s voice and performances was something not ever

found since then. I think the reason Queen always obtains large amounts

of votes in polls such as these is that their music style was so diverse

throughout their career (arena rock, funk, glam, hard rock, heavy

metal, pop, progressive, psychedelic and gospel). A lot of people like

their earlier heavy stuff, Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At

The Opera era.. A lot the late 1970s, and some the '80s stuff they did

(although personally most of their output during that decade wasnt

their best work up until A Kind Of Magic). It's a good spread of music

style at appeals to a wide range of possible voters.

Led Zeppelin have too many plagiarism accusations. It should be noted

that copping a line or stock phrase is common in blues tradition, but

taking entire songs results in Willie Dixon law suits.

Read More about Led Zeppelin pliagiarism accusations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin#...s_of_plagiarism

‘Rating the Music’ read carefully:

Queen have better songwriting skills. Queen became the first and

currently the only band to have ever been inducted into the Songwriters Hall

of Fame. The band are also the only group in which every member has

composed more than one chart-topping single. Queen was the rock band that

gave birth to the most known rock anthems and rock epic songs ("We Will

Rock You," "We Are the Champions," "Stone Cold Crazy," "Another One

Bite the Dust", “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” etc..). From their

first hit "Keep Yourself Alive" to their top "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the

epic last songs "Innuendo" and "The Show Must Go On," Queen had

continuously been teaching the musical world how rock music should be.

Finally, we have someone to blame for the current sad state of rock music. B)

Sure, early Queen is excellent, but EVERY album has at least 2 or 3 duds on it. They lack a creative focus that makes their albums hard to enjoy from start to finish. One day I'd like to take the albums up to and including The Game and compile all the songs that rock out. That would make a helluva CD. I certainly think that not only could they rock out, they could write epic songs like Somebody to Love that incorporate many different music styles. This strength of theirs was also a weakness, for who can listen to "A Day at the Races" and enjoy it from start to finish? Zeppelin, on the other hand, clearly had many influences as well, but do a much better job of assimilating them into a Rock style. As a result, the albums flow and make sense, rather than sound like an encyclopedia of genres like Queen's albums. Don't get me wrong, I love and have grown up on Queen's music, I am just not as subjectively influenced as the above writer is. It's one thing to love a band, another to worship everthing they do just because you love them.

How you can create something unique and techincally perfect by mixing the

best of the available influences. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, used

only a very hard and heavy rock sound that made it difficult to gain

attention, and as a result only one song, their "Stairway to Heaven" is now widely known.

What rock is has this guy been living under?

Queen mixed up all those previous rock styles and

created a bombastic, excessive at times, glam rock that is until now their

trademark. Mercury’s voice and performances was something not ever

found since then.

This point is hard to argue with.

I think the reason Queen always obtains large amounts

of votes in polls such as these is that their music style was so diverse

throughout their career (arena rock, funk, glam, hard rock, heavy

metal, pop, progressive, psychedelic and gospel).

Like I said above, TOO diverse. Or at least not assimilated enough. Some of their albums are like listening to the radio and switching to another channel after each song. They are varied and make great singles, but in terms of cohesiveness, don't work nearly as well as albums. This is where Zeppelin dominates them.

A lot of people like

their earlier heavy stuff, Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At

The Opera era.. A lot the late 1970s, and some the '80s stuff they did

(although personally most of their output during that decade wasnt

their best work up until A Kind Of Magic).

That is the understatement of the decade. To me, The Game was the last decent album by the band.

Hope someone enjoyed my rants. B)

I consider Queen better than Zeppelin for several reasons (and I am American):

1. Right out of the gate, they were trying out different musical styles.

2. Freddie had a more commanding stage presence than Robert...and he never sounded like a cat in heat. (Sorry, Rob, I still love you!)

3. When Deacon and Taylor were in their element, they could easily match Jones and Bonham.

4. The solo in "Brighton Rock" could eat "White Summer" for breakfast.

5. Queen, unlike Zep, always put on a high-quality stage show.

6. Queen never stole anbody's songs. Rather, people stole theirs. (I'm looking at you, Vanilla Ice.)

7. Freddie's sheer bravery in facing his battle with AIDS cannot be matched anywhere else in rockn roll.

8. Queen's videos are way more interesting.

Please understand, I AM NOT condemning Zep. I think Zep are great. I just think Queen are greater.

3. When Deacon and Taylor were in their element, they could easily match Jones and Bonham.

No bass section could compare to Bonham and Jones, ever. Deacon and Taylor were good, but there is absolutely no comparison.

7. Freddie's sheer bravery in facing his battle with AIDS cannot be matched anywhere else in rockn roll.

I think somehow, this has nothing to do with their music. But his bravery can not be matched.

No bass section could compare to Bonham and Jones, ever. Deacon and Taylor were good, but there is absolutely no comparison.

I think somehow, this has nothing to do with their music. But his bravery can not be matched.

I worship Queen, but even I'll agree to the above.

And as far as Freddie goes, laugh if you want to, but in terms of how he dealt with his illness, I think Freddie Mercury was more of a "man" than many men I know.

There can be only one answer, I have seen Queen, and also Led Zeppelin,

Now Tapping fingers,

without a

doubt

L E D Z E P P E L I N.

I too have seen both Bands. I dont have to Tap my fingers, as its a No-Brainer. Queen couldn't play their most Famous song live on stage all the way through, on their own.

I worship Queen, but even I'll agree to the above.

And as far as Freddie goes, laugh if you want to, but in terms of how he dealt with his illness, I think Freddie Mercury was more of a "man" than many men I know.

Freddie deserves no more "credit" for his bravery than the milliions of other humans who have been afflicted with disease. Perhaps

This quality has nothing to do with the music , and makes him no better the billions of individuals who endured hardship from the beginning

This is n't a serious thread is it? Really?

In common with others here, I have a 'soft spot' for Queen. They were the first major band I saw live[1977 and I also saw them in the same year I saw Zep[79]. There is no real comparison. Queen ultimately lack any sense of 'connectedness' or commitment to music, other than as something they do for money.I had and have absolutely no interest at all in the musical opinions of any of the 3 surviving members. I can't recall any insights or ideas about music in a wider sense coming from any of them.They seem to have had no interest at all in music outside their own careers and very little curiosity about any styles except commercially acceptable/fashionable genres eg insipid funk, hard rock pastiche and cod-operatic soul-less soul. Mastery of form v pastiche sums it up for me. If this seems harsh, be clear before you respond-I like the first 3 or 4 albums but now I'm [here? sorry!] older,Queen just seem superficial and a bit shallow.Exciting,sometimes and certainly flashy and entertaining. No depth, though and no sense of commitment to any of the many forms and styles they tried on and threw away.Sorry.

I dunno - a bit like comparing apples to oranges. They're so different in my mind I can't really effectively answer this. I'd say as far as what I listen to more, it would be Zep but that doesn't mean I think Queen is any less of a band would I discount their importance in the history of music.

Well, I never saw Queen, had the opportunity, but wasn't particularly interested. I suppose that's because I think of Queen a bit like the Beatles, they played quite a variety of stuff, but they weren't just about being a rock group. Obviously a very talented band, and Freddie, like Mick Jagger, was more of a frontman than RP.

Thing is...Zeppelin sold 300 million albums. I suspect only Elvis and the Beatles ranked above them in sales. They sold that many because they were packed with great material.

I'd say Led Zeppelin. Queen's albums had, i'd say, maybe 3-4 good songs then the rest were just okay. Of course i'm excluding "A Night At The Opera" which is an incredible album and every song is a hit. I've got a soft spot for "Good Company".

Queen and Zeppelin are in completely different leagues. Zeppelin was primitive heavy metal/hard rock. Queen was a rock band, but they didnt have a heavy quality.

Brian May is a great guitarist but his skill cant even match the magnitude of Jimmy Page.

AMEN!!! If anyone wants to take on Zeppelin, Queen is not the band to use. The ONLY band I cant argue against and I dont think they are even close to Zepp is the Beatles only because they were able to touch so many age groups. The only thing Zepp couldnt do. Get the old fogies to listen like the Beatles. But for actual playing ability, they cant touch Led Zeppelin. They were great song writers though and so were the Beach Boys. Hey England, did you like the Beach Boys?????

I pick Led Zeppelin, because I enjoy them more and for a longer amount of time straight through.

And they are two entirely different bands, so comparison is silly.

The things they did have in common are what matter:

Both were creative, regardless of any reasons behind it

Both had brilliant musicians

Both had amazing frontmen

Both had numerous songs that are still loved, and rightly so

So....Go Queen! Wooohoo.

Queen vs. Led Zeppelin ... That's a hard one!

In my opinion, it's a draw.

I just remember how i got into contact with each band:

In my fathers record-rack, there was Queen's first Greatest Hits album. I often browsed through my father's records, but I never listened to Queen because I thought they looked somewhat gayish and a band called Queen could only make rubbish music, at least in the imagination of an 8 year old. One day, my sister put the record on and I heard Queen for the first time in my life, not knowing that it was this "gayish" band and I immediately fell in love with it, I just couldn't stop listening to it over and over again.

When asking adults about hard rock and heavy metal music, I mostly got the answer that it was influenced by Satan and that it was not proper for a child to listen to it. But the rebellious child that I was, I also liked to listen to AFN radio in Germany, which played more rock music than any other radiostation. I don't remember the date, but I was about ten years of age and listening to AFN at 10 pm and I heard that groovy, seemingly old, rock song which had a womans orgasmic moan just before the guitar solo. I instantly knew, that this was the music adults had warned me about but I couldn't help it and I got up and dragged my mom into my room to tell me the name of the band and song (mothers know everything). She told me: Led Zeppelin and Whole Lotta Love. The very next day, I dragged my father to the record store to buy a Led Zeppelin record, and he actually did it.

Years later, when I moved out, these were the two records I "stole" out of my fathers record-rack: Queen and Led Zeppelin. It will always be a draw in my case.

seen both bands live, have all of both bands albums and have to say both in their way are masters of entertainment. in terms of presence, musical ability and originality though, zep win hands down every time. they were innovators and world class musicians.

to me queeen are good at doing what others have done before them so the path wasn't so hard for them.

i know as a cold stone fact that stairway to heaven, whole lotta love and several other zep tracks will be around, copied and played throughout the rock world for the next 30 years too - which of queens tracks will still be around 50 years after their debut? come on, get real.....

You couldn't have said it any better, my friend.

Yes, Queen is an amazing band, but (no offense, Queen fans, just my opinion) they are like dog poop on the bottom of my shoe when compared to Led Zeppelin.

And Nobody will ever be able to create anything as good as the backbeats created by Jones and Bonzo...especially Bonzo. Good God, NOBODY, AND I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOBODY, will ever top John Bonham when it comes to hard rock drumming. Earlier I stated my opinion...Bonham is the greatest...And I just stated fact.

Facing his AIDS??? Are you mad?? He only publicly admitted to having the disease a couple of days before he died from it!

Archived