DAVID COVERDALE Thinks LED ZEPPELIN Should

The Pagemeister

Sounds to me like Cover"song" has nothing to occupy his time at the moment and wants to be apart of it.

The quotes come from the latest "Uncut" magazine where many people were asked to comment and contribute to an article about "The Real Jimmy Page". Coverdale offered up these comments because he was asked to. He's not jumping on any bandwaggon. Pity the source for this thread didn't make that clear. (NOT the thread-starter).

I think this might be the best way to go (unless/until Robert wants to return for another one-off)...

Suggestions for Guest Vocalists joining JP, JPJ and Jason Bonham:

Joe Elliott ---

David Coverdale ---

Paul Rodgers ---

Roger Daltrey ---

Myles Kennedy ---

Jason Bonham ---

Paul Stanley ---

James Hetfield ---

Paul McCartney ---

Chris Daughtry ---

Aretha Franklin ---

Mick Jagger ---

Christina Aguillera (maybe)

Leona Lewis ---

Tina Turner ---

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ---

Timothy B. Schmidt, Don Henley & Glenn Frey ---

Steven Tyler ---

BB King ---

Bono ---

Eric Clapton ---

Sting ---

Sheryl Crow ---

R B)

WHERES RONNIE JAMES DIO????

But when he opens his mouth everyone hears him.

One of the few singers who has not lost allot of power in his voice

Don't get me wrong. LOVE Dio! One of the most powerful, distinctive voices of all time. I don't think he's lost a step at all.

Just bustin' on his height, that's was all.

At this point as far as being a working musician goes, Jimmy is more of a has-been than Coverdale and will remain so until he does something besides occasionally walking onto someone else's stage for a number or two.

I would argue that on the strength of the O2 show alone, which was Jimmy's band, not a guest spot. A thousand Coverdale shows in small venues doesn't top that in my opinion...

I think the guest vocalists may be the only way to avoid the Zeppelin comparisons? A good album, with fresh material and numerous vocal stylings may also motivate robert. Yeah i know right now he doesnt want to do it, however, maybe if he sees Jimmy is fresh again and on fire and there is fresh material and ideas, after he's done doing another unwanted elevator music album he would do some gigs. Dont forget who did he win his only other grammy with? JIMMY PAGE!!!

I'd hardly call what Robert has done post Zep elevator music. As far as Grammy's - he won one with Alison for Gone Gone Gone last year.

So your saying Black Sabbath/Deep Purple/Rainbow never had good singers ? ya right.

Didnt say that. All good singers. They just shouldnt use any.

Why you may ask? I always considered the members of Zeppelin A-list.

If the instrumental members of Zep are given advice to play with a singer who fronted 2 or more of any of those 70's-80's B-list bands or there C-list offshoots because some 45 year old fanboy thinks it would be the ultimate headbanging earsplitting nutcracking experience to see the former members of Zep play with their favorite 5 octave singer "Ronnie Joe Lynn CoverGillan" is pretty sad. It would most definately suck.

There is a planet full of singers. They should find a new one rather than sifting through Toni Iommi & Ritchie Blackmores' trash bags.

Didnt say that. All good singers. They just shouldnt use any.

Why you may ask? I always considered the members of Zeppelin A-list.

If the instrumental members of Zep are given advice to play with a singer who fronted 2 or more of any of those 70's-80's B-list bands or there C-list offshoots because some 45 year old fanboy thinks it would be the ultimate headbanging earsplitting nutcracking experience to see the former members of Zep play with their favorite 5 octave singer "Ronnie Joe Lynn CoverGillan" is pretty sad. It would most definately suck.

There is a planet full of singers. They should find a new one rather than sifting through Toni Iommi & Ritchie Blackmores' trash bags.

But It sounds like you think some of these singers are not good enough, you say Iommi and Blackmores trash bag ? what does that mean ? back in the day as they say I always considered the members of Zep and Purple on the same level, not one being better then the other A list or B list or whatever.

As for any of those singers being with Page and co maybe not, but I will say this of all the singers you brought up only one really still has the pipes and that is Dio, even more so than Plant.,

But It sounds like you think some of these singers are not good enough, you say Iommi and Blackmores trash bag ? what does that mean ? back in the day as they say I always considered the members of Zep and Purple on the same level, not one being better then the other A list or B list or whatever.

As for any of those singers being with Page and co maybe not, but I will say this of all the singers you brought up only one really still has the pipes and that is Dio, even more so than Plant.,

It has nothing to do whether theyre good enough or whether I like them, because some of them I do & some I dont, its just that I dont see a fit or need. For the last 20 or so years when the question of who Page should play with the same list of singers always comes up & inevitably such & such singer sang for Purple for this amount of time before moving onto such & such... I mean really. It was Bonzo who thought this was funny in the 70's thus by dubbing these bands "Deep Sabbath".

As far as the "trash bag" comment, Im not talking about anyone's ability, once again it comes down to how easily replaceable these ever shifting lineups are. When most people think of Black Sabbath does anyone really think past the Dio years with the exception of Iommi's Mom? How many friggen people has Iommi had in that band? Its like a case of throwing enough shit on the wall until something sticks. Its been proven at least in Iommi's case that it doesnt.

In Europe as a whole Im sure Purple may even be bigger than Zeppelin as far as a loyal fanbase, which alot of it comes down to availability just like Kiss in America in the 70's. Zeppelin as they got bigger toured less & when they did it was in larger venues & they always sold albums consistently. Purple & Kiss didnt sell nearly the albums of Zep thus they were always on the road to earn their money playing smaller venues than Zep but created a very loyal fanbase. I wont take that away from them & I couldnt. My point is that Zeppelin success & influence reached more than a specific segment of rock music fans & that they are only second to that of the Beatles & about tied with the Stones. Im sorry, Purple, Sabbath, etc just dont fit that bill, so I do consider them the B-list by comparison.

As far as Dio I think he was great then & now. I much rather see Dio with "Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell" than Ozzy propped up like a marionette at OzzFest shows with "Sabbath". Im sure Dio could add even higher notes to "Immigrant Song" or extra gloom to "No Quarter" live but I still wouldnt want to see Dio singing "Ten Years Gone" or "Going To California" because it really doesnt suit his style or any of those other singers. Zeppelin were much more diverse than any of those groups I mentioned & Im sure Bonhan, Jones, & Page will carry on that tradition (I hope anyway).

I just want them not to limit their options to the pantheon of old high decibal singers of the past in part just because they're known names. I'd like them to be adventureous. They could move in any direction & I hope they take full advantage of that.

How about a thousand Coverdale shows in Large venues ?

I don't know what you consider large venues, but maybe I didn't make my point eloquently. The term "has been" was thrown out there because Jimmy hasn't released new material lately I guess. But "has been" is not a literal comment about what someone has or hasn't done lately. It's another way to say "washed up". I would argue that Jimmy Page is far from a "has been" because he still has his star quality, still has his chops, and any time he does anything it's a pretty major event in rock and roll. No matter how many gigs Coverdale is playing, he's a lot closer to "has been" status than Page ever will be, not that I have a problem with Coverdale because I don't.

Lots of actual "has beens" play many shows a year. Good for them.

I don't know what you consider large venues, but maybe I didn't make my point eloquently. The term "has been" was thrown out there because Jimmy hasn't released new material lately I guess. But "has been" is not a literal comment about what someone has or hasn't done lately. It's another way to say "washed up". I would argue that Jimmy Page is far from a "has been" because he still has his star quality, still has his chops, and any time he does anything it's a pretty major event in rock and roll. No matter how many gigs Coverdale is playing, he's a lot closer to "has been" status than Page ever will be, not that I have a problem with Coverdale because I don't.

Lots of actual "has beens" play many shows a year. Good for them.

I never thought at all that Page was a has been, or Coverdale.

It has nothing to do whether theyre good enough or whether I like them, because some of them I do & some I dont, its just that I dont see a fit or need. For the last 20 or so years when the question of who Page should play with the same list of singers always comes up & inevitably such & such singer sang for Purple for this amount of time before moving onto such & such... I mean really. It was Bonzo who thought this was funny in the 70's thus by dubbing these bands "Deep Sabbath".

As far as the "trash bag" comment, Im not talking about anyone's ability, once again it comes down to how easily replaceable these ever shifting lineups are. When most people think of Black Sabbath does anyone really think past the Dio years with the exception of Iommi's Mom? How many friggen people has Iommi had in that band? Its like a case of throwing enough shit on the wall until something sticks. Its been proven at least in Iommi's case that it doesnt.

In Europe as a whole Im sure Purple may even be bigger than Zeppelin as far as a loyal fanbase, which alot of it comes down to availability just like Kiss in America in the 70's. Zeppelin as they got bigger toured less & when they did it was in larger venues & they always sold albums consistently. Purple & Kiss didnt sell nearly the albums of Zep thus they were always on the road to earn their money playing smaller venues than Zep but created a very loyal fanbase. I wont take that away from them & I couldnt. My point is that Zeppelin success & influence reached more than a specific segment of rock music fans & that they are only second to that of the Beatles & about tied with the Stones. Im sorry, Purple, Sabbath, etc just dont fit that bill, so I do consider them the B-list by comparison.

As far as Dio I think he was great then & now. I much rather see Dio with "Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell" than Ozzy propped up like a marionette at OzzFest shows with "Sabbath". Im sure Dio could add even higher notes to "Immigrant Song" or extra gloom to "No Quarter" live but I still wouldnt want to see Dio singing "Ten Years Gone" or "Going To California" because it really doesnt suit his style or any of those other singers. Zeppelin were much more diverse than any of those groups I mentioned & Im sure Bonhan, Jones, & Page will carry on that tradition (I hope anyway).

I just want them not to limit their options to the pantheon of old high decibal singers of the past in part just because they're known names. I'd like them to be adventureous. They could move in any direction & I hope they take full advantage of that.

I agree with allot of what you say, such as Zep did influnce more then Purple, Yes Purple were bigger in Europe and also in Japan, ( They had a God like status there for a long time) But Zeppelin was more so for the rest of the world, but I myself will rate a band with more on musicianship, and Purple was not any less then Zeppelin in that department, and as for Zeppelin being more diverse, thats just not true, in Purples case anyway, allot of their records are very different from each other. to me they were both top notch bands, we can agree to disagree on that one. they are both A list in my book.

As for Bonzo dubbing these bands "Deep Sabbath" I dont think he did, the first I ever heard that used was in 1983 when Ian Gillan joined Black Sabbbath. as we know Bonzo was gone by then, If I am wrong then correct me, but I dont recall Bonzo ever saying that.

I would like Page and Jones to find a great unknown to join them.

What about James LaBrie, from Dream Theatre? I know he doesn't sound anything like Robert, but I've always thought he had a real Zeppelinesque style. Might be interesting.

I saw DT (when they played a few years ago with Satriani and Kings' X) and he was the only one in the group that didn't seem like he belonged there with them on stage.

He was flipping his hair back all the time, shaking a tambourine, prancing back and forth on stage and getting water every other second (trying to look busy or something; maybe trying to earn his keep or something). He was doing this, too, even on their instrumental (long sections). He should have just gone backstage and played Nintendo Wii or something)...

:lol::banana::wtf::slapface:

I couldn't stop laughing.

Satriani and (especially) KX rocked, though.

LaBrie ruined DT's concert for me and my friends.

We got our money's worth with Satriani, KX and DT (as a band, but not LaBrie)...

My two cents.... so, (IMHO), no way... :)

R B)

Archived