Made in China!

slagfarmer

In light of today's economic troubles it is now more important than ever to have a look at the product you are considering purchasing to see where it is made. Over the past few years, more and more jobs are being eliminated and sent to overseas workers (Specifically, in China) to increase the profit margins of North American companies and exploit workers who make literally cents per day in conditions that we would find unacceptable.

Every product that my wife and I are considering buying, we take a few seconds to read the label to find out were it is made. We have made a conscious effort to only purchase products that are made in North America or Europe. Sometimes the price may be a bit higher but we feel that it is worth it to put our money back into our economy and our future, rather than contribute to future job losses.

We do not shop at 'Dollar Stores' and very seldom go to WalMart (Great Wall of China), where everything from jewelry to tires to clothing to kids toys can be made in China.

We are just trying to raise awareness to this very serious issue which we feel is undermining our economy, future and way of life. We are asking everyone who reads this forum to just take a second to consider this the next time you are making a purchase.

In light of today's economic troubles it is now more important than ever to have a look at the product you are considering purchasing to see where it is made. Over the past few years, more and more jobs are being eliminated and sent to overseas workers (Specifically, in China) to increase the profit margins of North American companies and exploit workers who make literally cents per day in conditions that we would find unacceptable.

Every product that my wife and I are considering buying, we take a few seconds to read the label to find out were it is made. We have made a conscious effort to only purchase products that are made in North America or Europe. Sometimes the price may be a bit higher but we feel that it is worth it to put our money back into our economy and our future, rather than contribute to future job losses.

We do not shop at 'Dollar Stores' and very seldom go to WalMart (Great Wall of China), where everything from jewelry to tires to clothing to kids toys can be made in China.

We are just trying to raise awareness to this very serious issue which we feel is undermining our economy, future and way of life. We are asking everyone who reads this forum to just take a second to consider this the next time you are making a purchase.

It appears you and your wife can read or care to read. This is a skill that is idle or deficient with most Americans. I'll continue to do my part working in the Education system that continues to take the brunt of the criticism for this current development.

girlsleeping.jpg

Wal-Marts cheap, good for saving money.

Our cars are not cheap, but good for keeping the state of Michigan alive

In the long run it is COSTING YOU money to shop at Walmart because you are contributing to the Chinese economy and sending money out of America. I realise that not everything that Walmart sells is made in China but next time you are there look how much merchandise is made "Off shore". Make sure that you put aside the money you "saved today" to help with the Federal assistance check you will get when you lose your job!!

The company I work for makes boilers, and up until recently we were exporting quite a bit to China. I don't know how it's possible to make a profit shipping things that are so bulky and weigh several hundred pounds each all the way to China, or why they couldn't produce these simple products cheaper themselves? Most of the plumbing supplies that we here would use to complete a boiler installation are made in China, and have many quality issues.

In the long run it is COSTING YOU money to shop at Walmart because you are contributing to the Chinese economy and sending money out of America. I realise that not everything that Walmart sells is made in China but next time you are there look how much merchandise is made "Off shore". Make sure that you put aside the money you "saved today" to help with the Federal assistance check you will get when you lose your job!!
And China is buying from us, as we are buying from them. It's a two way road.

Welcome to macro-economics

And China is buying from us, as we are buying from them. It's a two way road.

Welcome to macro-economics

All I am saying is that charity starts at home! While shopping last weekend I was buying a tool, I had two options one was made in China and the other for 50 cents more was made in the USA. Guess which one I now own!! Just take a second when shopping to have a look at where it was made is all I am saying! I would have thought that someone from Michigan would realise that this is a "Two way road" that we must be very careful on!

I'm a recent BSME graduate currently trying to find a job in automotive mechanical engineering here in Detroit...

The automotive market is not projected to pick up again till 2010. Meanwhile, I'm graduated... and every day that goes by is another day my education becomes that much more obsolete.

I really don't know what the fuck to do.., but I refuse to work at a fast food joint with my $100,000 education. In fact, I can't get a job ANYWHERE because I'm more qualified than the managers at most places and they're scared I will eventually take their shitty fucking job.

All I want to do is work. I don't give a flying piss if I only make 4 bucks an hour... I haven't eaten in nearly 3 days and I have to start paying back my student loans in 2 weeks. (I promise you I'm not exaggerating)

Despite all that, I really don't give a shit about the "buy American" spiel. It's our own fault we can't do it as cheap as China. Maybe if people didn't bitch and complain about making minimum wage, we wouldn't be so expensive. Honestly, I'd work for next to nothing as long as I could eat. America is greedy as fuck and I'm tired of this shit.

Walmart is the best Welfare in the United States. Millions upon millions rely on Walmart for jobs or their family budgets sake.

I generally don't like restriction on free trade, but i do like the banning of Jap pipe. Im a Union pipe fitter and we always refused Jap pipe. But i can't even count how many Jap pipe fitting fail or broke that i had to come in and fix from non-union fitters. American Pipe you can basically beat the shit out of it and it will hold Max pressure. Jap pipe can be broke if you drop it.

Part of the idea from former Pres. Bush free trade push was the theory that if Mexico can improve their living standards (from industrializing). They may not jump the fence and steal our jobs and our health care.

I do buy American when i can.

I'm a recent BSME graduate currently trying to find a job in automotive mechanical engineering here in Detroit...

The automotive market is not projected to pick up again till 2010. Meanwhile, I'm graduated... and every day that goes by is another day my education becomes that much more obsolete.

I really don't know what the fuck to do.., but I refuse to work at a fast food joint with my $100,000 education. In fact, I can't get a job ANYWHERE because I'm more qualified than the managers at most places and they're scared I will eventually take their shitty fucking job.

All I want to do is work. I don't give a flying piss if I only make 4 bucks an hour... I haven't eaten in nearly 3 days and I have to start paying back my student loans in 2 weeks. (I promise you I'm not exaggerating)

Despite all that, I really don't give a shit about the "buy American" spiel. It's our own fault we can't do it as cheap as China. Maybe if people didn't bitch and complain about making minimum wage, we wouldn't be so expensive. Honestly, I'd work for next to nothing as long as I could eat. America is greedy as fuck and I'm tired of this shit.

Don't restrict yourself to one industry. That is a mistake in almost ANY job search. The company I work for employs loads of electrical engineers. I am not sure of the difference between mechanical and electrical engineers, but you should do just fine. They tend to make VERY good money, but their personalities are a bit odd. :) Just be flexible and in this economy, don't rule out a relocation.

I try really hard not to shop at Wal-Mart. I don't like a lot of the things they carry--like the store brands, selection of groceries, etc., and I honestly don't like a lot of their store policies. I worked for Albertson's/Supervalu for 5 years, and though they were more expensive, I shopped there while I was employed there--for the most part.

I also worked for Fred Meyer/Kroger for 3 years, so I know the difference in a retail chain that takes care of their employees and one that doesn't.

Though I'm very underemployed right now, I STILL don't shop at Wal-Mart. I can shop at a locally owned grocery store that's warehouse style, and it has better customer service than Wal-Mart and the prices are better than Wal-Mart's. Since I really can't afford to buy much other than necessitites, it doesn't matter where I go for things that aren't necessitites--because I'm not really buying any right now.

Yes, I'm worried about whether I will be able to find a job this next coming school year. Our state budget is projected to put a hiring freeze on all teachers, though Idaho's in desperate need of MORE teachers. :rolleyes:

I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart store for over 5 years!

There is a new super store down the street from my Optometry office. We get patients in everyday asking for help with repairing their cheap, broken eyeglasses that they bought at Wal-Mart. We happily make their repairs and then we have a patient for life. You get what you pay for!

Wal-Mart has driven dozens of factories out of Ohio, one was a Rubbermaid plant in Wooster, Ohio, voted in 1999 (I think) as the best company to work for in the United States. They really took care of their employees. Then Wal-Mart put the squeeze on them as to pricing, and they had to move to China to meet Wal-Mart's demands. Of course, the big whigs of Rubbermaid probably were not in any financial pinch in doing so! I am sure that they are still reaping their multi-million dollar bonuses. So you can't blame it all on Wal-Mart. Rubbermaid could have said "no" to them. Greed was motivating both companies.

It's a global economy now. The US and Canada have to learn to compete in it. Blaming China is just a cop out. And from what I've heard, they're going through the same recession we are. Factories are closing there at an alarming rate. The fact is, this had to happen at some point or another.

All I am saying is that charity starts at home! While shopping last weekend I was buying a tool, I had two options one was made in China and the other for 50 cents more was made in the USA. Guess which one I now own!! Just take a second when shopping to have a look at where it was made is all I am saying! I would have thought that someone from Michigan would realise that this is a "Two way road" that we must be very careful on!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying American. But the FACT is, that the American economy cannot be entirely self-sufficient. It makes no economical sense for us to produce everything we use.

Comparative Advantage my friend, look it up

Yes, but at least they have a job. So is that really what concerns you?

I'd say I agree with the rest of what you said. However, calling attention to the situation of the overseas workers exploited by this system isn't the best way to make a point. You won't destroy Chinese government by weakening their ecomomic power, that would only make the living conditions of their citizens a bit more unacceptable.

I can understand why you're doing that and I guess that's your consumers right, but look at it from another perspective for a second.

Yes at the moment there is an inequality between the American and Chinese or Indian standard of living. Most companies have offloaded their manufacturing to countries where labour is much cheaper.

That's an inevitability, because to be competitive in the market place companies have to cut their costs and expenditures down.

But one thing to remember is that the majority of these jobs are labouring jobs which are not jobs that hold great appeal in America anyway. It's been the case in America that factories have had to employ migrants simply to get workers. The other thing to remember is that these companies that do manufacture in China or India, are not owned by Chinese or Indian companies, their income and capital stay in America.

The last thing to consider is a long term issue: while China and India are poorer than the USA, then labour will always be cheaper in those countries. Without foreign investment and employment in manufacturing from American companies, China and India would continue to remain poor. This would lead to issues such as continued population explosion and greater pressure on immigration to the USA. As the US workforce will continue to shrink in the next few decades, US companies will be forced to open their doors to immigrants from Asia, Mexico etc to fill the vacancies. By investing money and jobs into other parts of the world, the US is able to diversify its economy as well as begin the long process of raising the economic standard of living in India and China. As their economies countinue to grow, their gap between their income and ours will shrink, so will their population growth rates. Things should become more balanced.

I know things are looking shit at the moment, but they won't always. In 20-40 years, the USA will have a large retired population of aged people being supported by a shrunken workforce, unemployment won't really be an issue then.

Archived