Seattle '77 and Knebworth '79

epstein

G'day,

I recently came into possession of two DVDs. They were given to me by a friend and I'm not sure where he got them except that he got them somewhere in Queensland. They are two full Led Zep concerts - warts and all. It's tremendous to watch an unfiltered three hours of Zep. Seattle 7/17/77 and Knebworth 11th August 1979. The Knebworth footage is not from the same night as the DVD commercially available (which I think was the week before).

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on these? They are obviously well filmed from several camera angles and the quality is good, although of course these are obviously bootlegged so there is some quality loss, though no more difference than that between DVD quality and video quality. Which leads me to believe that some of this (not catalogued material) may be commercially released one day. I'd love to purchase the real thing if these ever are released.

I'd appreciate it if anyone had any information about them.

By the way I'm reading Mick Walls 'When Giants walked the Earth'. It is an excellent and detailed biography.

Cheers from Down Under

G'day,

I recently came into possession of two DVDs. They were given to me by a friend and I'm not sure where he got them except that he got them somewhere in Queensland. They are two full Led Zep concerts - warts and all. It's tremendous to watch an unfiltered three hours of Zep. Seattle 7/17/77 and Knebworth 11th August 1979. The Knebworth footage is not from the same night as the DVD commercially available (which I think was the week before).

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on these? They are obviously well filmed from several camera angles and the quality is good, although of course these are obviously bootlegged so there is some quality loss, though no more difference than that between DVD quality and video quality. Which leads me to believe that some of this (not catalogued material) may be commercially released one day. I'd love to purchase the real thing if these ever are released.

By the way I'm reading Mick Walls 'When Giants walked the Earth'. It is an excellent and detailed biography.

Cheers from Down Under

Its pretty certain to say neither of these shows will ever be officially released!

Seattle is considered to be one of Zeps worst ever shows and the cream of Knebworth is already out as you know.

Check out underground uprising for all the info you need

G'day,

Cheers from Down Under

Its pretty certain to say neither of these shows will ever be officially released!

Seattle is considered to be one of Zeps worst ever shows and the cream of Knebworth is already out as you know.

Check out underground uprising for all the info you need

This is something I debated with myself posting, but finally figured it can't do any harm to mention.

I got these concerts on VHS several years ago. They look so unspectacular to watch, but I made a discovery quite by accident. When Pagey breaks a string on Black Dog at Knebworth, I left the room shaking my head. As I listened to the music continue to play without seeing the video image it took on a whole new personality, it started to sound more like the Led Zep I'm familiar with and not as bad as I'd been thinking it was. I'm not saying listening without watching transformed mediocre performances into magic nights, but it helped further my enjoyment of Seattle '77 and Knebworth.

Page and Bonham in particular seemed to be struggling with the tunes on both nights. With those visible reminders removed the music sounded expedient though relaxed (tight but loose if you will) with the guitar and drums more 'in control' of the songs.

Far be it from me to suggest you source a video then not watch it, but once you've pored over the shows to your satisfaction try giving them a listen like a CD. You might hear them in a new context.

These were not professionally recorded. They are from the in house video system. (They play on a big screen so people far away can see better). That is why the quality is not very good.

Amazes me they were able to clean up the video as much as they did for the official DVD as the bootleg DVD's you can really tell how grainy it is, especially when zoomed in.

And both of these are considered very subpar Zeppelin shows.

Both Knebworth dates where professionally filmed an recorded for possible future release, along with multitracks. But to take advantage, they recorded every single cam individually, whilst on bootlegs you see the live cut being made for the crowd, it was recorded in better quality than most footage of that time with TV cameras, not film cameras, of course, Page did a little visual editing so that it looks more like it's from a film.

And for the zillionth time Seattle was never meant to be an official release, neither will it be simply based on the fact of:

-No alternative angles

-Lack of multitrack recordings

-Bad Performance

and I could go on and on........

These were not professionally recorded. They are from the in house video system. (They play on a big screen so people far away can see better). That is why the quality is not very good.

Amazes me they were able to clean up the video as much as they did for the official DVD as the bootleg DVD's you can really tell how grainy it is, especially when zoomed in.

And both of these are considered very subpar Zeppelin shows.

They are subpar, but I love the vids...subpar Zep is better than none at all!

I have these complete Zep concerts on video:

Earls Court 5/24 and 5/25

Seattle '77

Both Knebworth shows

And I love them all...the Earls Court shows are by far the best, however!

Have them all plus a 02 audience shot, and the second Knebworth gig. Earl's court on the 24th is my favorite. The Knebworth shows were shot for release at the time which is why they wear the same cloth's both night's. the first show is way better than the second. Seattle is a mess for the most part but still cool.

• 8 months later...

Seattle '77

Both Knebworth shows

I have managed to buy all these shows on dvd within the past year or so and all because of and thanks to the internet. If anyone truly wants to discover and pay for these "semi-rare" dvd's, all one has to do is take some time to figure it out via various internet sites. I did, found them, paid for them and now own these great live dvd concerts that a few years ago, I would have thought almost impossible to acquire. It really is not that difficult. I found most of these dvd's of Led Zeppelin live for under $20 each. Including the LZ O2 Reunion concert from 12/10/2007. I have two different good versions of this concert.

Trust me, if you happen to be a fan or fanatic (like I am) about Led Zeppelin live concerts than I would suggest you seek them out.

As someone already mentioned, Led Zeppelin live subpar, is better than NO Led Zeppelin live at all. And, by the way, in my opinion, none of these dvd's are subpar at all. LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!!!

Seattle '77

Both Knebworth shows

Hey mate...I totally agree. I love my copies of Earls Court Seattle '77 & Knebworth shows...just as much as I do my DVD's of HTWWW & TSRTS. Any footage of the boys is better than nothing, and we have to remind ourselves...Earls Court, Seattle '77 & Knebworth are all over 30 years old, so let's not complain that it is not in pure digital quality!!

Kind regards from Perth, Western Australia

Seattle 77 lacks a multitrack sound recording so besides not being a very good performance I think thats going to make any offical release very unlikely, at most I think you'd see it used for "menu clips".

I suspect its unlikely Page(or Plant) will ever allow a complete release of an EC or Knedworth show either but I wouldnt be shocked to see some more footage appear on a future CD or DVD release, an extender NQ espeically.

If you know where to look you can pretty much download all of these shows to your computer. Earls Court is probably Zeppelin at their peak. One of the shows went almost 4 hours. Roberts voice was a little shaky at some points but not near as bad as he was earlier in the year. The rest of the group were probably at their best musically.

I was at the 77 show in Seattle. Could anyone possibly enlighten me (pm) as to how I could find the complete show and view it. I am not too computer savvy and would really appreciate it. Imagine stepping back 32 plus years! Thank you if you can help.

Seattle 77 lacks a multitrack sound recording so besides not being a very good performance I think thats going to make any offical release very unlikely, at most I think you'd see it used for "menu clips".

I suspect its unlikely Page(or Plant) will ever allow a complete release of an EC or Knedworth show either but I wouldnt be shocked to see some more footage appear on a future CD or DVD release, an extender NQ espeically.

I've always wondered why there is no No Quarter on the dvd. I mean you have Jimmy's showcase (D&C), Bonzos (Moby Dick) but there is no versions of No Quarter on it. 24/5/75 would have been an excellent choice, or Knebworth (the first show.)

I've always wondered why there is no No Quarter on the dvd. I mean you have Jimmy's showcase (D&C), Bonzos (Moby Dick) but there is no versions of No Quarter on it. 24/5/75 would have been an excellent choice, or Knebworth (the first show.)

I remember reading The Concert File book where there is an exerpt about Jimmy's Live Album Project, he was interviewed in 1977 and he mentions ' A winning No Quarter from Earls Court' :rolleyes:

I remember reading The Concert File book where there is an exerpt about Jimmy's Live Album Project, he was interviewed in 1977 and he mentions ' A winning No Quarter from Earls Court' :rolleyes:

I'd guess the problem was that the chronological live album became a live DVD with NQ not considered interesting enough visually to make the cut.

• 1 month later...

One thing about the second Knebworth show though, at least on my dvd copy, is that the audio quality is really

great. One day when I get around to it, I'm going to make an audio recording of this show from my dvd. Actually,

I really enjoy watching that second Knebworth show too.

Archived