Why should I listen to any 1980 recordings?

wilsoncb420

If you really want to hear the world's greatest band in the midst of a fundamental transformation, then the 80s shows are for you!

As IPMan pointed out, when Page was on, he was ON.  Plant is fully utilizing his new voice, almost no screechy high notes.  No long sleep inducing drum solos or things like that.  Just a nice tight show. 

Well worth digging into.

I personally love the 80 tour.  Frankfurt, Zurich, Rotterdam, Munich, Cologne, lots of good shows in there and the band is clearly trying.  When the drugs and booze kicked in too hard, Mannheim, Hannover, Berlin, yeah it weren't so good.

but it's Zep, and you don't have the full story if you leave a chapter out.  The sound and feel of that tour was a harbinger of what Jimmy and Bonzo wanted on the next album, metallic and driving.

its hard for me to listen to 69-70 Zep, as fantastic as they were Roberts constant high pitch wailing grates on me.  They were more one dimensional then too, they just had so much more depth in 1980 and when they were in sync it was still awesome.

I don't think Zep was ever one dimensional.

Perhaps blasphemy, but early on(pre-70') live sometimes the great Zep got so sludgy they outsabbathed

Black Sabbath. Depends on the gig , of course. And some shows despite wide ranging material ?? they 

did seem to bash most songs into submission. I think it's great that some fans can have such a high

appreciation of the 80' tour. I can deal with 1/2 hr to 45 min sections of some of the shows , but Page and

Bonzo are shadows of their former selves and Zep to me is supposed to be blazing, not just skipping

along.

I think it's great that some fans can have such a high

appreciation of the 80' tour. I can deal with 1/2 hr to 45 min sections of some of the shows , but Page and

Bonzo are shadows of their former selves and Zep to me is supposed to be blazing, not just skipping

along.

Indeed, Page and Bonham are definitely the weak links in 1980. 

that's all pretty bluesy to me. Except CB, that just has bluesy lyrics. I'm not saying its a bad thing, but it was very early in Zep's life and they hadn't had time to grow and expand yet.

Focusing on the use of the blues form is one dimensional thinking. It was as much the energy the band manifested as it was the material that created the loyal fanbase. And that loyalty was rewarded with fresh musical growth on a show by show basis. That's what separates 1969 from 1980 as 1980 was more of a paced career overview with consistently inconsistent energy and performances.

There were plenty of non blues stuff in a '69 show. Babe, I'm gonna leave you, As Long as i have you/Fresh garbage, Train kept a rollin, bow solos, rockabilly covers, drum solos, Communication breakdown, White summer/Black mountainside. There was a reason they stuck out in the crowd of bluesrock groups. And for anyone who has a problem with Plant's '69 voice, 1969-01-26 has him buried under Jimmy's guitar. I can't imagine retiring 1969-01-26 from listening rotation.

I still find time to enjoy stuff from all eras and haven't yet needed to forsake early performances because i got old and grew an appreciation for later material.

^^ This is a tougher question (best quality gig) than I think it initially appears to be. Most say Zurich, Frankfurt, or Munich. However there are great moments from every '80 gig (even Page's solo in NFBM in Nuremberg I suppose).

Concerning sound, I would say the soundboard recording of Zurich is the absolute best audio of an '80 show (its perhaps the best sounding Zep soundboard ever).

But as far as the performances, I tend to suggest the first four shows as best reflecting the energy, enthusiasm and revamped focus that the band was trying to convey. Dortmund is great, not rusty at all but reflects some nerves - Plant thought the performance was fantastic for the opening night of a tour. I would recommend Cologne or Brussels - particularly Cologne as it has a great full sounding audience recording (which replicates a more pleasing tone from Jones' keyboards) as well as a good soundboard.

Of course Zurich, Frankfurt and Munich are solid efforts (ALS from Zurich is amaze-balls) but they lack the initial urgency of the first few gigs.

I've rambled. Push come to shove, try to get your hands on the Cologne audience recording and Zurich soundboard, this will be a good compromise of sound and performance. I think you'll find when all four cylinders were firing (indeed some nights Bonham and Page were not) that Zeppelin still had that excitement and power we all love.

Focusing on the use of the blues form is one dimensional thinking. It was as much the energy the band manifested as it was the material that created the loyal fanbase. And that loyalty was rewarded with fresh musical growth on a show by show basis. That's what separates 1969 from 1980 as 1980 was more of a paced career overview with consistently inconsistent energy and performances.

There were plenty of non blues stuff in a '69 show. Babe, I'm gonna leave you, As Long as i have you/Fresh garbage, Train kept a rollin, bow solos, rockabilly covers, drum solos, Communication breakdown, White summer/Black mountainside. There was a reason they stuck out in the crowd of bluesrock groups. And for anyone who has a problem with Plant's '69 voice, 1969-01-26 has him buried under Jimmy's guitar. I can't imagine retiring 1969-01-26 from listening rotation.

I still find time to enjoy stuff from all eras and haven't yet needed to forsake early performances because i got old and grew an appreciation for later material.

:goodpost:

So is there a specific show that is best (quality of recording, and quality of the gig) to look for? Anyone have an outstanding example they can link?

Find yourself a copy of the Matrix (Soundboard + Audience) recording of Frankfurt ~ June 30, 1980!! I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Zeppelin in 1980, but a few months ago I listened to the 1st few songs and was blown away, then continued to listen to the entire show and by the end I was speechless. I couldn't believe how quickly the entire show went by, usually Zeppelin shows are quite difficult to sit all the way through (a 3 hour show with a 25 minute drum solo isn't the easiest task lol). Frankfurt is about 2 hours and 10 minutes, which is still long but it's very enjoyable and a very good selection of songs (a beautiful 8 minute performance of In The Evening and The Rain Song and Trampled Under Foot. A fantastic 10 minute performance of Since I've Been Loving You, Achilles Last Stand and Kashmir. Stairway To Heaven and Whole Lotta Love are great too!). I used to think that they ruined Kashmir in 1980, but after a listen to this I think it's one of their best even compared to Earl's Court 5/25/75, LA 6/21/77 and Knebworth 8/4/79 and 02 Arena 12/10/07, I actually rank it above all of those!! But I've listened to the soundboard and audience only recordings of this show and they just don't meet up to the matrix IMHO. The matrix really brings this show to life to my ears. This show is one of my favorite Zeppelin shows plus 1980 came with some awesome quality bootlegs!! If you can't find it, then shoot me a PM and I'll give you some directions. If you're new to 1980 Zeppelin, then I would strongly recommend starting right here like I did, it really changed my opinion about the 1980 Tour Over Europe. :)

I love SIBLY from the '80 tour. It's almost a lament for the band itself: Page strung out on smack, Bonzo an alcoholic. Page plays some achingly beautiful guitar on this track. Not always technically brilliant, but he conjures up some demons from his smacked-out soul. The only thing that is a bit rubbish is Jonsey's new keyboard sound. The Fender Rhodes, or melletron (whatever he was playing before) was much better. Bonzo looks way overweight on this tour and his playing can be flabby and turgid in places too. I think his drum sound from Knebworth onwards doesn't help. The whole kit, especially the toms, sound really loose and add to the overall flatulent sound. I much preferred his pre-1977 kits. Anyway, I have always enjoyed the 80 tour. It's a sort of surreal curio: the rock Gods of the 70s playing small venues at the dawn of a new era of technology and sound. The first half of the set is really tight and punchy and is very enjoyable. The epic-style tracks don't hold up so well in the second half. It's interesting for it's historical significance as much as its playing. Their last hurrah!

I just listened to Frankfurt start to finish last nite on a road trip.  What a show and anyone who has neglected listening to the 80 tour needs to revisit this gem.

the energy and enthusiasm of the band is very apparent, esp towards the later half of the show.

Achilles is flawless, one of the best ever without question.

kashmir no mistakes and Bonzo at the end, wow.  Even Plant exclaims "Sometimes we surprise even our ourselves!"  

Stairway Robert for once not phoning it in screaming "Not to roll Not to roll!" Over and over

the encores, forget about it.  Whole Lotta Love just so much fun and energetic, Plant screaming, Jimmy going nuts, it has it all.

The last Great Roar of the Dinosaur, an essential show.

Just from looking at the number of great shows vs. average shows vs. bad shows, at least half of the tour would be considered great shows and the majority of the remainder just average. They only played two shows which I am aware of which were bad shows which is damn good considering the shape half the band were in.

Well it's great that this tour has a subset of a fan base and people are still intently listening. I may not agree

with all that's being said but certainly you could patch together a full length show of great performances

of all the different songs. Not that it's necessary....... I am just conditioned in such a way that as soon as

I hear Zep 80' tour, or read those words, besides Bonzo's early exit, I feel a weak, erratic pulse. But all

power to those who sense otherwise.

Well it's great that this tour has a subset of a fan base and people are still intently listening. I may not agree

with all that's being said but certainly you could patch together a full length show of great performances

of all the different songs. Not that it's necessary....... I am just conditioned in such a way that as soon as

I hear Zep 80' tour, or read those words, besides Bonzo's early exit, I feel a weak, erratic pulse. But all

power to those who sense otherwise.

Oh I completely understand why the 80" tour is not exactly beloved by most Zeppelin fans, but as mentioned above I think it mostly has to do with a stripped down approach to the music. In a sense, that which made Zeppelin epic and dramatic (the long jams) were gone and they were more structured. I cannot blame anyone for this, I miss D&C, NQ, and the medley versions of HMMT & WLL as much as the next guy. I guess I am just happy they were even able to do this tour in the first place. 

Stripped down is right, and if you can imagine the Grateful Dead even half stripped down, I think many

would see the problem there. You have to play to your strengths. I saw the Clash open up for the Who,

and it was fantastic, a runaway train almost careening off the tracks for 45 minutes. Unfortunately for

already discussed reasons in other posts , there may have been more urgency in some songs, but had

Zep continued on beyond 80/81', I really think some of the longer songs and jams would have returned

although in shorter form. Some love the brevity of 80', I found it a brutal pruning.

In my opinion, I think some of these comments miss the point about the 1980 shows.

Robert Plant as we all know did not want to tour or even be in rock music after the lost of his son. If it wasn't for Bonzo always dropping by to encourage him to comeback, 1977 would have been the end of Zeppelin. The Europe tour of 1980 was more for the band, to get to know each other again (musically I mean) and some of the shows the band was on fire. Robert Plant got the light in his eyes again, and they where ready to reclaim what was theirs( Best band in the world) Sadly they never got that chance. Back to the subject, if you want to understand the raw power of Led Zeppelin without the long solos or the boring drum solos the 1980 tour is worth the listen. To me and I think to a lot of people Led Zeppelin tour part 1 over America would have been magical pure Zeppelin.  

To me and I think to a lot of people Led Zeppelin tour part 1 over America would have been magical pure Zeppelin.  

If Jimmy Page wasn't a heroin addict and John Bonham wasn't an alcoholic who let their vices impede their performance, pissing off their singer and forcing the other guy in the band to do all the heavy lifting, sure...

Archived