JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

That is just fantastic. I for one really enjoyed the sound and style he cultivated with the b bender Tele in the 80's, just great emotional playing.

Great song indeed. I remember it from an old David Gilmour album, who had a hand in its composition.

Great song indeed. I remember it from an old David Gilmour album, who had a hand in its composition.

I'm sure this is known but I'll write it anyway:

The song "20th century man", partly written by David Gilmour, from Harper's "Jugula" album, is the same guitar riff for the song "White city fighting", also partly written by David Gilmour, from Pete Townsend's "White city" album. There's a lot of classic rock in-breeding in there: Jimmy Page playing a David Gilmour riff on a Roy Harper album which coincidentally also finds its way on a Pete Townsend album...

Compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bFeT0wyPEQ

• 2310767.png
  • 5310767.jpg
  • 3310767.jpg
  • On this day… 31 Jul 1967
    The Yardbirds play The Kerrisdale Arena, Vancouver
    After another strenuous and frustrating episode at the Canadian border, we had come from San Francisco to Vancouver to play a psychedelic bonanza at the Kerrisdale Arena on this day and at the Garden Auditorum on the 1st. At this time, the Yardbirds album 'Little Games' had been released for about a week. The music featured here is the home demo on 12-string acoustic guitar and auto-harp of 'Only The Black Rose' from the 'Little Games' album.

I never saw the second picture on the website.... :unsure:

• 1010879.jpg

01 Aug 1979

Led Zeppelin soundcheck for Knebworth

Led Zeppelin did a soundcheck for the upcoming concerts over the weekends of the 4th and 11th of August 1979 at Knebworth, England. During the soundcheck, as we were playing 'Trampled Under Foot', I turned around to see John Bonham's son, 13 year old Jason, playing on his father's kit. This was probably the first time I played with Jason and was certainly not the last! John had gone out the front to hear to hear how his kit sounded through the Knebworth-sized PA.

millbig.jpg

What a fascinating look at JP's former studio - thanks, Stairway. Correct me if I'm wrong but this was previously owned by the great Gus Dudgeon, R.I.P.

The soundboard looks very complicated. The glass chandelier is a surprising feature, one doesn't usually see that in a studio.

UPDATE: That soundboard has been restored and is now at Thames Valley University:

http://www.audiocourses.com/article-print-476.html

Stuart Epps now owns The Sol. In this 2009 interview, he speaks about working w/ JP:

"Gus sold it to Jimmy Page in 1980 and then Jimmy wanted to keep me on at the studio. I wasn’t a big Zeppelin fan, I mean, I obviously liked them and I knew all about them. Jimmy was quite a strange person; I didn’t actually meet him for three months when I was working with him. It’s like working for Howard Hughes a bit, you know, he really was eccentric and a very strange guy, but I became his engineer and we recorded, we mixed, the last Zeppelin album. Then, because of his connection with heavy rock, I then started producing artists for Atlantic Records, which were Twisted Sister, Vandenberg ... that was all a very good period as well."

• 2310767.png
  • 5310767.jpg
  • 3310767.jpg
  • On this day… 31 Jul 1967
    The Yardbirds play The Kerrisdale Arena, Vancouver
    After another strenuous and frustrating episode at the Canadian border, we had come from San Francisco to Vancouver to play a psychedelic bonanza at the Kerrisdale Arena on this day and at the Garden Auditorum on the 1st. At this time, the Yardbirds album 'Little Games' had been released for about a week. The music featured here is the home demo on 12-string acoustic guitar and auto-harp of 'Only The Black Rose' from the 'Little Games' album.

I never saw the second picture on the website.... :unsure:

Anyone knows where I can find the recording that was featured on that day of the home demo of "Only the black rose" (with autoharp and 12 string guitar)?

Haha I've been tired this week falling asleep before 12 and missing it :( !

Thanks Magneta lucky you got the 31st one I think it only worked when it first came on thanks ! :D

Hey, I am glad to help. I do personal archive 4myself, and so far I didn't have any problems with the site. Everything was always visible and clear.

So, don't worry I can step in, if you oversleep again :P

Archived