New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

You don't fucking know what you're talking about. Zeppelin slaughters The Rolling Stones in sales.

Led Zeppelin:

Total available certified units: 134.1 million

Claimed sales: 300 million

The Rolling Stones

Total available certified units: 89.5 million

Claimed sales: 200 million

You never know what the fuck you're talking about either!

He was saying, selling out to solely profit driven motives as opposed to out selling another band recordwise.

Go back to complaining / speculating about the quality of yet to be released blu-ray disks.

I would hope that we do. As I have said, it's time for the definitive catalog releases. The Beatles and Pink Floyd have done it already.

I don't know why he would include video on a catalog reissue? The attraction to this release is we are supposedly getting bonus unreleased tracks. That is technically new/unreleased stuff even if we might have some of it in bootleg form already.

the Blu-Ray audio format is interesting to me

I'm assuming that sales of the Celebration Day BR-Audio disc will be a deciding factor in whether or not the format is continued with regard to the remastered albums.

You never know what the fuck you're talking about either!

He was saying, selling out to solely profit driven motives as opposed to out selling another band recordwise.

Go back to complaining / speculating about the quality of yet to be released blu-ray disks.

Do you know what's the difference between "outselling" and "selling out"? Tony incorrectly used the word "selling out", as Zeppelin or any other band hasn't exactly sold every single copy they've issued.

Do you know what's the difference between "outselling" and "selling out"? Tony incorrectly used the word "selling out", as Zeppelin or any other band hasn't exactly sold every single copy they've issued.

Yes I do, mate.

Show me any band, business or store who has completely cleared their shelves of any item where they have literally sold out of stock?

You failed with your argument so you try and restore some credibility by changing the definition. In other words you moved the goal posts.

well here's to hoping they follow the concept of pink floyd's immersion boxset where there's mutliple versions for every level of fan, plus tons of enhanced audio and even concert stuff. I know, i know we've heard this stuff about jimmy not bothering with live stuff, but I really believe that if they're doing this that he's bound to comb through whatever multi-tracks he has of live shows to see if he's got anything of high quality still out there that he can tag onto these re-releases to really make them worth purchasing.

Show me any band, business or store who has completely cleared their shelves of any item where they have literally sold out of stock?

Are you nuts? That is exactly the point I was making. Here is a quote from Tony:

"fact is they [Led Zeppelin] NEVER SOLD OUT......in fact they are the ONLY MAJOR ARTIST......in the LAST CENTURY.......who HASN'T............................"

NO music artist has sold out.

Are you nuts? That is exactly the point I was making. Here is a quote from Tony:

"fact is they [Led Zeppelin] NEVER SOLD OUT......in fact they are the ONLY MAJOR ARTIST......in the LAST CENTURY.......who HASN'T............................"

NO music artist has sold out.

Can you read and comprehend English?

What part of "the fact is they, (Led Zeppelin) never sold out, they are the only major artist in the last century who hasn't", don't you understand?

Your logic, based on your "point" is that every other band except Zeppelin has sold every album!?

Then you contradict yourself by writing, No music artist has sold out?

Have another bong.

Okay, it's time for me to step in before this gets out of control...well, actually it has gotten out of control, but it's time to rein it in.

Taro, BIGGERFAN, Reggie, and whomever else is arguing with Tony: You are all misinterpreting the meaning of 'selling out'/'sold out' in Tony's post. Maybe it's due to you not being American or to Tony's hard to read posting style.

But in the case of Tony's post, the phrase 'selling out' doesn't refer to numerical numbers such as record sales or concert tickets. As Tony said, anyone can know that Led Zeppelin sold more albums than any band except for the Beatles and that they were the top concert draw during their reign.

What 'selling out' refers to in Tony's post is when a band allows monetary concerns to overrule quality concerns. For instance, when a band cynically puts out subpar product knowing the fans will buy it anyway. Or endlessly repacking the same "greatest hits" over and over.

The Rolling Stones and the Who regurgitated their catalogue countless times while Led Zeppelin had a grand total of ZERO Best of/Greatest Hits compilations during their lifespan. It wasn't until 1990 that anything other than the original 10 albums were available with the release of the first box set.

After that, there's only been two repackagings of the studio work: Early Days/Latter Days and the Mothership. The Stones repackage their shit every time Mick takes a piss.

THAT is what Tony was talking about when he said Led Zeppelin hadn't sold out like the Stones and the Who. Not that they didn't sell more records and concert tix, but that they hadn't put out product just for money reasons. Led Zeppelin didn't pander or take their fans for granted.

Back on topic...if it's like the recent Talking Heads, Queen and Pink Floyd catalogue remasters, I cannot wait to get them. I just hope they retain the original artwork and packaging ideas. As much as an improvement the 1993 Marino/Page remasters were over the first cd releases, there was room for improvement.

A studio "As Long As I Have You" would be awesome! As would the other two "Stairway" solos.

Thank you Strider.

I wanted to write this myself cos there is like 4 pages of misunderstanding already:). Its exactly this ladies and gentleman. "to sell out" = to re-re-re-re-relase every little bit with a whole purpose of earning money. "to sell out" also means to let your music be in commercials for Pepsi, Mc Donald, in stupid comedy hollywood movies etc... just to get paid for. Musicians are selling THEMSELVES out like whores. Led Zeppelin did not. Amen.

i didn't say Zep sold out, i said we are a market, if anyone is willing to buy into the same product over and over, you have reached your target market, those that will keep up the sales of "new"products, if Jimmy released another solo record, i think that would be much preferred.

Remasters in 2001 plus the box set with vinyl sleeves, mothership, that's 3 reissues of the same product there is a wealth of merchandise available and when it comes to Jimmys 21st century solo output, its again, reissues and really really expensive books and you tell me Jimmy hasn't milked a market, cmon everyone does

Well after having read the past 5 pages I think I wanna do something to bring this thread back on topic..

I was wondering: with all the things happening in the Zeppelin world at the moment, do you guys feel a sense of pride? I can only talk for myself of course, but I feel a big rush going through me every time I read that there's at least some activity from someone in the Zeppelin camp. I'm very proud to be a follower of such a great band and of such a wonderful bunch of people.

So what are your thoughts?

I hope that with the Vinyl market being re introduced to a new body of listeners,Jimmy releases all the 9 LP's on this format. I mean I just bought a turntable ( first one since the CD age) and the first platter I played was Led Zeppelin 2 and it sounded incredible. I do believe Page himself said at the Celebraton Day press conference that he wouldn't recommend listening to the band on a compressed or digital format (mp3). So that is my wish for the new year. Also as far as live film goes he has stated time and time again there is nothing left. Think 1970's film. That footage would be over 40 years old and if there was anything at all it would have apperared on DVD in 2003. Having said that the first Knebworth full show would be nice?

There's something I've been wondering about this. What covers does Shepard Fairey have to design? I presumed that album box sets would use the original album covers.

According to the Sunday Times article Shepard Fairey is working on 'the cover art'. Sounds to me like there will be one box set with everything, thus requiring only one new piece of cover art for the set.

Does this mean we'll have to buy all of them in one package? Is this just an incremental upgrade of Remasters with some outtakes added?

I would gladly pay the price of a compact disc (around $10 - $20) to hear just two songs long rumoured to have been recorded by Led Zeppelin. The songs in question are titled, "St. Tristan's Sword" and "Lost in Space".

Anyone know or have heard anything about these two songs?

"Lost In Space" was mentioned by Ross Halfin in 2004 as a recently-unearthed outtake with John Paul Jones on vocals. Dave Lewis later wrote in "Celebration" that it was recording during the Physical Graffiti sessions.

"St. Tristan's Sword" was mentioned in "The Concert File" as being an unreleased recording from 1970.

I wouldnt even get into a dispute abt something we all know may take 5 years instead of 1 to get out...I reserve judgement..if its just another box with some bonus trax then I'd pass but if there's unreleased concerts and really great stuff I'd try to cough up the cash... but releasing 600 dollar books(Jimmy) and 200 cd packages(other bands) is way out of reach for many Zep fans...hey I am just happy I have electricity! 600,000 without in CT from hurricane right now! listening to expanded Coda right now

"to sell out" also means to let your music be in commercials for Pepsi, Mc Donald, in stupid comedy hollywood movies etc... just to get paid for.

...So, Chevy commercials don't count? What about their music being used in School of Rock or Shrek?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

There's something I've been wondering about this. What covers does Shepard Fairey have to design? I presumed that album box sets would use the original album covers.

According to the Sunday Times article Shepard Fairey is working on 'the cover art'. Sounds to me like there will be one box set with everything, thus requiring only one new piece of cover art for the set.

Does this mean we'll have to buy all of them in one package? Is this just an incremental upgrade of Remasters with some outtakes added?

The description of Fairey's work is so vague...look at the list of people involved with the Complete Studio Recordings cube box-set - or any of the compilation-type releases - it could be a similar situation to that, with the integrity of the original album art preserved, but somehow expanded as part of a larger whole, with Shepard Fairey credited like Corriston was for "design and package concept." Or something entirely different.

It's too early to make any concrete judgments; considering how iconic the original artwork was, however, I find it highly unlikely that they will seriously alter it to any great degree - expand it, yes, or frame it differently (as they have done in the past), but not actually change it.

...200 cd packages(other bands) is way out of reach for many Zep fans...

I keep seeing this "$200" figure keep cropping up - are you talking about the recent Pink Floyd "Immersion" sets? Because they've been priced around $100 (either just below or just over) since their release. That $100 difference is a huge one for some people, including me...but, I have to say, I'm obviously in the minority when it comes to Led Zeppelin fans, considering the possibility of any unreleased material excites me beyond belief, and I'll put down any amount of money to get my Zeppelin fix.

...Can people honestly stop talking about live stuff? Jimmy has literally mentioned that he's not working on live material - let it go for now, and let sales do the talking!

Okay, it's time for me to step in before this gets out of control...well, actually it has gotten out of control, but it's time to rein it in.

Taro, BIGGERFAN, Reggie, and whomever else is arguing with Tony: You are all misinterpreting the meaning of 'selling out'/'sold out' in Tony's post. Maybe it's due to you not being American or to Tony's hard to read posting style.

But in the case of Tony's post, the phrase 'selling out' doesn't refer to numerical numbers such as record sales or concert tickets. As Tony said, anyone can know that Led Zeppelin sold more albums than any band except for the Beatles and that they were the top concert draw during their reign.

What 'selling out' refers to in Tony's post is when a band allows monetary concerns to overrule quality concerns. For instance, when a band cynically puts out subpar product knowing the fans will buy it anyway. Or endlessly repacking the same "greatest hits" over and over.

The Rolling Stones and the Who regurgitated their catalogue countless times while Led Zeppelin had a grand total of ZERO Best of/Greatest Hits compilations during their lifespan. It wasn't until 1990 that anything other than the original 10 albums were available with the release of the first box set.

After that, there's only been two repackagings of the studio work: Early Days/Latter Days and the Mothership. The Stones repackage their shit every time Mick takes a piss.

THAT is what Tony was talking about when he said Led Zeppelin hadn't sold out like the Stones and the Who. Not that they didn't sell more records and concert tix, but that they hadn't put out product just for money reasons. Led Zeppelin didn't pander or take their fans for granted.

Back on topic...if it's like the recent Talking Heads, Queen and Pink Floyd catalogue remasters, I cannot wait to get them. I just hope they retain the original artwork and packaging ideas. As much as an improvement the 1993 Marino/Page remasters were over the first cd releases, there was room for improvement.

A studio "As Long As I Have You" would be awesome! As would the other two "Stairway" solos.

..........thank you very kindly.......now I can understand why you're called Strider!!!.....you are very good at rescuing sanity from the bowels of Mordor.......and thankfully for me my power went out here in the tri-state area last night just as this was all getting beyond retarded........I'm only seeing this insanity just now.......one of these rocket scientists was even "private-messaging" me over all this.....as if it were all my fault......bottom line- even hardcore Zeppelin fans can be so...........and I'll leave it up to everyone else to complete that thought!.............

..........thank you very kindly.......now I can understand why you're called Strider!!!.....you are very good at rescuing sanity from the bowels of Mordor.......and thankfully for me my power went out here in the tri-state area last night just as this was all getting beyond retarded........I'm only seeing this insanity just now.......one of these rocket scientists was even "private-messaging" me over all this.....as if it were all my fault......bottom line- even hardcore Zeppelin fans can be so...........and I'll leave it up to everyone else to complete that thought!.............

I wouldn't call myself a rocket scientist - thank you for the compliment, though. :)

...No need to get all defensive - they certainly haven't gone to the extremes of a band such as The Rolling Stones, but Zeppelin seemed quite apt at maximizing sales and profit (at least back in their hayday). They've re-released the entire catalogue thrice (twice on CD, once on vinyl) within the past two decades, and have released at least six compilations in that time.

I do believe that the music was the main impetus during their career as an acting band - in that sense, they never sold out: They didn't pump out music with the sole aim of making money. Nevertheless, money was definitely a major factor in the Led Zeppelin game, and to discount it (and its tempting power) entirely would be a mistake.

These are US album sales only. If the Stones sold more albums than Zeppelin it is only because they have a staggering amount of releases and the fact they have been around for 50 years. During the 70s Zeppelin easily outsold the Stones on per album basis primarily because their were so massive in the USA

Listen led zeppelin always sold out and the last few years they still selling out .Thats why they not touring they making so much money on there past music they dont need to tour and make money on tour they got suckers like me who keep buying there old shit lol .And ill keep on being that sucker .

I agree with you by and large.with the only researvation being the number of greatest hits/box sets issued postumously. I am counting

1) Led Zeppelin Box Set i

2)Led Zeppelin Box Set 11

3)Remasters

4)Early Days

5)Latter Days

6)Earley/Latter Days

7)Mothership

8)Complete Studio Recordings

9) The other comprehensive box set which includes The Song remains the same

Archived