Jason Bonham discusses why reunion tour didn’t happen

motu

“’It doesn’t matter how great you are on drums, Jason, I love you to bits and you play absolutely amazing. But John was the drummer in Led Zeppelin and John was part of me, Jimmy and John Paul. We shared something very, very special.’ He said ‘I struggle sometimes just thinking about trying to create some magic again. He’s not there. He was a very, very dear friend of mine that he said ‘I miss every day.’”

I love you, Robert.

I still think a farewell tour would be a true "coda" for Led Zeppelin, and bring real closure for both the guys and the fans alike. Life interuptions, particularly ones that involve tragedy, often have a deleterious on the psychi for those it happens to. It leaves a sense of unfulfilment.

IMO just completing the tour dates for the cancelled 1980 tour would do a lot. Who knows, maybe thats what the guys think the o2 was. But thats not what they said it was for, at least not publically. I think thats why so many fans feel there should be more. Led Zeppelin didnt have a "natural" end.

Just my opinion and of course could be wrong.

^ I just don't get this. They told us it was over in 1980 - we have had the great pleasure of more since then, things that we could never have expected or asked for - and yet people still think there needs to be MORE for closure?????????

^ I just don't get this. They told us it was over in 1980 - we have had the great pleasure of more since then, things that we could never have expected or asked for - and yet people still think there needs to be MORE for closure?????????

Knebby just my opinion and it aint set in stone. Feel free to ignore my posts if they bother you. :)

I should ignore your posts rather than disagree with them? If you don't want a response to your opinion, why post it? :huh:

I'm only answering one of your posts here, not all of them, and I'm not doing so in any kind of aggressive way.

As I said, I just don't get it.

I dont think another tour would provide closure, it would be massively over-subscribed and there would be millons of dissapointed fans again, so those people would bleat on and on for another tour, repeat ad nausuem.

All the n00bs should just be content that lots of us who were lcuky enough to see the Real Led Zeppelin are still around to tell our tales, and like it or not that will have to be enough I think. But make the most of it we're not getting any younger, soon it will be like the ever decreasing number of veterans on Rememberance Day.

If there's anything I regret - as a relative newbie to Zeppelin - is that there aren't more visual (or even audio) documentation of the guys during their hey dey.

We are damn lucky YouTube exists and we get to see the little snippets from bootlegs or the official releases, and we get a taste of what things were like for those who did get to see them live.

I still (maybe foolishly) hold out hope that there exists more footage of them somewhere that we've never seen before. Even if it's a damn rehearsal/recording at any of the studios while making their masterpieces.

One can dream.

This answer is much easier for me to understand than the music not resonating with him anymore. The pain of losing a friend is bad enough and if Plant is really still in so much pain, to be in the band without Bonham and relive the loss night after night would be absolutely unbearable. Even if they were to go on under a different name, nothing would change emotionally.

I agree that the breakup statement is all the closure anybody should need. We should be grateful that Led Zeppelin hasn't been completely abandoned.

If there's anything I regret - as a relative newbie to Zeppelin - is that there aren't more visual (or even audio) documentation of the guys during their hey dey.

We are damn lucky YouTube exists and we get to see the little snippets from bootlegs or the official releases, and we get a taste of what things were like for those who did get to see them live.

I still (maybe foolishly) hold out hope that there exists more footage of them somewhere that we've never seen before. Even if it's a damn rehearsal/recording at any of the studios while making their masterpieces.

One can dream.

....Agreed!.....I think we all would love to hear/see more stuff from their rehearsals/writing/studio days for sure. . Imagine, for instance, being a fly on the wall when Jimmy was writing the Rain Song. To see him work out that tuning and then come up with the chords and then a chords structuresong.....it would have been fascinating to watch. And then to take it to the band and have them develop their parts......One can dream for sure....

I completely agree.

I believe Celebration Day is IT ... A one shot deal ..A celebration of their past for them and us...

Also as a heartfelt tribute to someone they all loved and respected.... and that's good enough for me.

I remember Robert saying that if he had it his way, they wouldn't even have put Coda out... So everything else since September 1980 has been a bonus.

Led Zeppelin would have died anyway.

I agree with Plant for once that Zeppelin had lost its point around ITTOD. The whole tapping,over the top stage antics-music wasnt the main point

in 80's-it was the showId hate to see LZ with its rich and deep catalogue in those settings...

Just remember this...

Bonham & Page were in agreement that a "hard driving" album was to follow In Through The Outdoor. The creative juices were still there, plus Jones & Plant became really close during the sessions for In Through The Outdoor.

The bottom line is this - the problems Bonham & Page were struggling with would have needed to be addressed had they moved into the 80's. If that 80's Part I tour went well, who knows what would have followed.

I think we have no idea what the band has been through...we hear snippets and make snap judgements"it's this one's fault or they owe us...etc" ...normal for media and fans but when it comes down to it we have no idea beyond what we are told...this isnt a Stones vs Beatles type war it's not robert vs Jimmy...I respect all the members even when they disagree and I think they owe us nothing more than to be true to themselves...I have no idea what quitting heroin is like and have no idea what touring with a user is like I am sure difficult for all...the band seems like genuinely decent people and when I saw Robert with Alison K and Band of Joy thought he had a love for the music and a willingness to step back a little at times and share the spotlight that's rare... as well as a rapport with the crowd...Losing a friend, son and almost your own life might make anyone want to move on from what was. I respect all 3 and Jason and think Celebration Day is a great way to exit as a band and keep John Bonham's memory and impossibility of replacement in people's minds ..though Jason rocked and lived his dream for a great night! i dont want them to become Paul McCartney at the Olympics no matter what! There's enough Spinal Tap out there.

I think we have no idea what the band has been through...we hear snippets and make snap judgements"it's this one's fault or they owe us...etc" ...normal for media and fans but when it comes down to it we have no idea beyond what we are told...this isnt a Stones vs Beatles type war it's not robert vs Jimmy...I respect all the members even when they disagree and I think they owe us nothing more than to be true to themselves...I have no idea what quitting heroin is like and have no idea what touring with a user is like I am sure difficult for all...the band seems like genuinely decent people and when I saw Robert with Alison K and Band of Joy thought he had a love for the music and a willingness to step back a little at times and share the spotlight that's rare... as well as a rapport with the crowd...Losing a friend, son and almost your own life might make anyone want to move on from what was. I respect all 3 and Jason and think Celebration Day is a great way to exit as a band and keep John Bonham's memory and impossibility of replacement in people's minds ..though Jason rocked and lived his dream for a great night! i dont want them to become Paul McCartney at the Olympics no matter what! There's enough Spinal Tap out there.

:thanku::goodpost::yourock:

I hope this quote serves to show some of the fans that Robert indeed cherishes the band more than he lets on. He may not show it the way some would like and speak as warm heartedly about it as Jimmy frequently does, but that's not our business to judge and condemn him for. He clearly still holds the powerful bond all four of them had together close to his heart and I can only guess that it does pain him that he can't shake the legacy and shadow of it while he's still alive. The blessing of having a music group of undeniable talent that will live on forever has equally left him living his life with a heavy heart for the loss of his friend. And we should respect that.

Archived