Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

irondirigible

BEST LIVE VERSION OF NO QUARTER?

58 posts in this topic

I have heard many.  But I actually think the best is on the Song Remains The Same soundtrack album.  There are only a few non-bootleg (Official) live releases of this masterpiece of a song.  Something about the keyboards in the SRTS recording is just so beautiful.  But I would like to hear if there is a better rendering of this classic that I should be checking out more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, irondirigible said:

I have heard many.  But I actually think the best is on the Song Remains The Same soundtrack album.  There are only a few non-bootleg (Official) live releases of this masterpiece of a song.  Something about the keyboards in the SRTS recording is just so beautiful.  But I would like to hear if there is a better rendering of this classic that I should be checking out more

Agreed this is one of, if not the, best versions.  Have you heard the version from the next night (7-29-73)?  That's also killer, similar to but different than the 28th (the soundtrack version).  As far as soundboards from '73, Buffalo and Seattle are also worth checking out.  For audience recordings from '73, try Milwaukee, Providence, and Pittsburg.  Honestly, though, there are so many good versions from July of '73 it's hard to choose.  Check them all out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, irondirigible said:

They vary in length quite a bit, don't they?

By tour/year, yes.  In '73 they were about 10-11 minutes in the first leg, 12-13 in the second leg.  In '75 they were much longer, usually around 20 minutes, but they could get to be 24 minutes or more towards the end of the tour on the West Coast.  '77 versions were typically over 1/2 hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

As far as soundboards from '73, Buffalo and Seattle are also worth checking out.

I never knew there was a soundboard out there of Seattle '73, I will have to search that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, luvlz2 said:

I never knew there was a soundboard out there of Seattle '73, I will have to search that out.

Definitely have a listen, it's one of the best shows from the tour (which is really saying something given how well they were playing then).  Unfortunately the soundboard only runs through Stairway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, it's got to be the one on TSRTS... the original LP version, not the one that got butchered on the remaster. The interplay between JP, JB and JPJ on the lead in to the solo is amazing, and the guitar solo itself is arguably Jimmy's best ever. Perfect pacing and phrasing throughout.

Ealry 75 versions are still short, but the recordings aren't great. There are some great later versions in 77, but they do tend to go on too long for me, and in 77 we get the blues jam, which is often a train wreck. Lately I'm liking the version from 04.27.77, which has cuts, but still flows very well... the cuts may well improve it!

07.24.79 is great too, shorter again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking 3/12/75 lately. On soundboard I find 2/28/75 really good. Same with 5/30/77. Lots of great ones on the Mike Millard recordings from LA, unfortunately he was late to the 3/12/75 gig and only caught the encore. Fortunately there was another taper there who caught most of the show in good quality. I wonder what Mike Millard thought when/if he heard the 3/12 show he missed? Probably was pissed he missed arguably their best show in '75 up to that point or in '75 as a whole! 

 

Original TSRTS soundtrack is epic. Such a shame they cut out the best part on the new CD release! UGHHH wtf were they thinking.

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Original TSRTS soundtrack is epic. Such a shame they cut out the best part on the new CD release! UGHHH wtf were they thinking.

I agree the original mix of TSRTS  is superior to it's later counterpart, but on the latter, they didn't cut anything out... on 'No Quarter' or any other song; the 2007 version was a completely new mix from scratch that for the most part was to match the onscreen visuals of the accompanying film.  That being said, Jimmy Page should absolutely have transferred the original mixdown master tapes of the '76 TSRTS  into 24/96 files and remastered them with Kevin Shirley when they were working on the 2007 version, and released them both as a single four-disc box set, giving people the option which version to listen to and both in immaculate sonic presentations.

At least the '76 version is still available to buy... both versions have their pros and cons, buy both, listen to both, enjoy both, that's what I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

I agree the original mix of TSRTS  is superior to it's later counterpart, but on the latter, they didn't cut anything out... on 'No Quarter' or any other song; the 2007 version was a completely new mix from scratch that for the most part was to match the onscreen visuals of the accompanying film.  That being said, Jimmy Page should absolutely have transferred the original mixdown master tapes of the '76 TSRTS  into 24/96 files and remastered them with Kevin Shirley when they were working on the 2007 version, and released them both as a single four-disc box set, giving people the option which version to listen to and both in immaculate sonic presentations.

At least the '76 version is still available to buy... both versions have their pros and cons, buy both, listen to both, enjoy both, that's what I do.

Yup.. however you want to phrase it, they cut one of the best musical moments from the entire album, just to align the remastered audio with the video. The film NQ soundtrack was always different I think. D&C gets a similarly tin-eared treatment.

I'm sure I'm not telling most people anything new here, but for the benefit of anyone who hasn't heard of it, the Garden Tapes site is an indispensible (and eye-opening) guide to how Zep's live material has been created:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt7.html

 

You could probably argue that the use of two different nights disqualifies that version of NQ from being the best 'live' version, but even so, that guitar solo is largely unedited and is still one of Jimmy's finest moments. In 75 and later, he often had all the same phrases and passages in his head, but the pacing, order and dynamics of it all is far less assured.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I quite like the Earls Court versions, not sure which is my favourite although the one from the No Quarter bootleg (17th May I think) was a favourite for a long time probably because I had the vinyl bootleg, sadly lost years ago with a dozen or so others.

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I haven't heard all available versions (yet) but I'm listening to the "Snowjobs" bootleg version from March 19, 1975 right now and I can tell you it's brilliant!! Both performance and sound quality are great.

Edited by mwout83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mwout83 said:

Well, I haven't heard all available versions (yet) but I'm listening to the "Snowjobs" bootleg version from March 19, 1975 right now and I can tell you it's brilliant!! Both performance and sound quality are great.

This is indeed a brilliant version, but the next night (also in Vancouver and on SB) is even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

This is indeed a brilliant version, but the next night (also in Vancouver and on SB) is even better.

Thanks for the tip! I'm walking through my bootleg collection but I haven't heard this one until now. This one is really stunning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only complaint is it could be longer.

If it's not this one it's the 23rd. If it's not the 23rd then it's this one, depending on which one i'm listening to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of great suggestions in this thread, especially 6-11-77 which is (mostly) available in nice soundboard quality.

But for me it's TSRTS original version, hands-down. I also think that soundtrack has the best live versions of The Song Remains the Same and The Rain Song, and one of the best live Stairways too. For such a maligned performance, it certainly has it's fair share of excellent versions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Lots of great suggestions in this thread, especially 6-11-77 which is (mostly) available in nice soundboard quality.

But for me it's TSRTS original version, hands-down. I also think that soundtrack has the best live versions of The Song Remains the Same and The Rain Song, and one of the best live Stairways too. For such a maligned performance, it certainly has it's fair share of excellent versions!

The D&C is probably also the best ever.  The NYC 73 shows are indeed unfairly maligned;  as a whole no single night there is among the best of the tour, but individually those shows have some of the best moments of the entire US '73 tour.  (Akin to LA in '75.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:33 PM, irondirigible said:

I would have to say the version on A Few Hours With St. Valentine. I like the way they come out of the piano solo to the guitar jam. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Page's soloing is probably at its slickest in the best 73 versions but for me they are lacking in drama. The start of the 75 is really pretty similar but during that tour I think the track really comes into its own with JPJ taking on a much greater role both in his own solo and the three piece solo which I think helps gives the track much more dramatic direction akin to Dazed rather than just being a drawn out noodling.

The increasingly jazzy versions from the end of the US tour are probably my favourites overall and just flow so well, 21/3. 25/3 and 27/3 probably being the best for me. The EC versions go in a more classical direction, perhaps lack a bit of drive compaired to the US but definitely gave grace and I'd say the 18/5 and 23/5 stand out.

The 77 versions I think become more of a collection of good(and the odd not so good) moments. I would say actually the second destroyer show from 28/4 probably flows most naturally even if its missing the end, besides that I would say Eddie from 21/6 for Bonzo's drumming and Bagdeholders from 23/6 for just all around good playing  are my favourites.

 

Edited by greenman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now