Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Cat

Coverdale/Page

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, BledZabbath said:

Agreed, you bash Zep, get the fuck out.

People who come on here to bash Zep should be automatically banned for life.

You should see the Jane's Addiction forum - every last thing they've done since reforming gets slagged off and stomped into the sewer with unflinching hatred and derision! But that's because Jane's are a travesty of the band they once were and Perry and Dave are seen as shitting on the legacy for a quick buck, so they cop the flak. Compared to the endless kickings meted out every day on the Jane's site, there's not much out-and-out bashing on here - thankfully.    

Edited by Brigante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, IpMan said:

So what? Are you serious??? There is noting wrong either in critique or calling something out for scrutiny and debate, however making a completely false accusation (Death claimed Zep & Plant in particular stole IMTOD) is both uncalled for and in bad form. Please see my post above whereby I clear up the brand new controversy regarding IMTOD and educate Death in the process.

Of course, is it against some law to not love everything about Zep ?, I was not thinking of his comments about Zep ripping off others when I posted and I don't know about IMTOD being a rip off, but face it Zep took song ideas from allot of sources as many others did, for a good example tell me Whole Lotta Love did not take anything from the Small Faces ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2017 at 3:21 PM, IpMan said:

So what? Are you serious??? There is noting wrong either in critique or calling something out for scrutiny and debate, however making a completely false accusation (Death claimed Zep & Plant in particular stole IMTOD) is both uncalled for and in bad form. Please see my post above whereby I clear up the brand new controversy regarding IMTOD and educate Death in the process.

You amaze me. Plant takes lyrics from a song that was never copyrighted and you see no problem in that. And please, go get your original LP's and check the songwriting credits, you'll see that When The Levee Breaks doesn't list anybody but the members of Zeppelin as having written it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dr Death said:

You amaze me. Plant takes lyrics from a song that was never copyrighted and you see no problem in that. And please, go get your original LP's and check the songwriting credits, you'll see that When The Levee Breaks doesn't list anybody but the members of Zeppelin as having written it.

When the Levee Breaks credits Memphis Minnie and always has. I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit, much less research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lynxwizard said:

 for a good example tell me Whole Lotta Love did not take anything from the Small Faces ?   

Without a doubt, Plant's style on WLL has Steve Marriott written all over it. No one EVER contested that and the fact the used most of the original lyric. However, just because they stole they lyric portion of WLL does not mean they stole every song they produced. To my knowledge the songs they nicked were WLL and the Lemon Song, that's really it. They were sued for D&C but, IMO, that was bullshit. The Zep version of D&C shares only one line "I've been dazed and confused..." and that is it. No other lyrics are referenced and the whole structure and melody are completely different. Bring it on Home only has the acoustic intro, a standard blues progression plus the lyrics but the rest is 100% original. IMO, it was stupid for them to use the acoustic opening on BIOH with the lyrics as it would have been just as effective without any lyrics, just the progression. Other than that, nothing. They credited what they used on Zep I to the original artists except for, again, lyrical snippets from Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You and they had to pay up and credit for that.

So, they nicked a few lyrical phrases and wound up paying for it in the end. Of course it was not right but you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those interested, here's Coverdale/Page live in Japan doing Kashmir. David really did a great job on all the Zeppelin covers, much better than Plant trying to sing Shake My Tree. I've heard countless versions of Plant trying to sing that, and he comes off as being totally unable to, maybe he didn't like singing a song co-written by David Coverdale, but this was also a Jimmy Page song and deserved much more respect than Plant gave it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr Death said:

For those interested, here's Coverdale/Page live in Japan doing Kashmir. David really did a great job on all the Zeppelin covers, much better than Plant trying to sing Shake My Tree. I've heard countless versions of Plant trying to sing that, and he comes off as being totally unable to, maybe he didn't like singing a song co-written by David Coverdale, but this was also a Jimmy Page song and deserved much more respect than Plant gave it.

 

 

Beg to differ. Sounds friggin awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Beg to differ. Sounds friggin awful

To each his own, I guess, but if you can't realize that David Coverdale has a great voice, then I don't know what's wrong with you. I think it sounds great and a lot of other people share my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr Death said:

To each his own, I guess, but if you can't realize that David Coverdale has a great voice, then I don't know what's wrong with you. I think it sounds great and a lot of other people share my opinion.

He is a really good singer yes, but not as good as Plant in my opinion, especially not on high notes and yeah perhaps Plant sung Shake my tree a bit worse then he could on purpose, just to prove he does not have to be anybodies slave and can sing in new ways unlike Coverdale perhaps. I did not write anything in this topic in terms of a competition between Plant and Coverdale and I sure hope you didn't either, music is not a competition, although some people who listen to technical music, have a tendency to think like this, I even said songs can be very simple for me, I just expect more from Page in terms of sound and ideas of song structures and a better collaborator pick, but I am also tired of this topic and already said everything I meant to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dr Death said:

To each his own, I guess, but if you can't realize that David Coverdale has a great voice, then I don't know what's wrong with you. I think it sounds great and a lot of other people share my opinion.

He lacks subtlety. Totally over the top. Just my opinion. If you like him, good for you. Totally respect that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dr Death said:

To each his own, I guess, but if you can't realize that David Coverdale has a great voice, then I don't know what's wrong with you. I think it sounds great and a lot of other people share my opinion.

I share your opinion Dr. Death, I have always liked David Coverdale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×