Where's My Dying Cough?

Just played my old Physical Graffiti on Vinyl for the first time in at least 15 years and was shocked that at the end of "In My time of Dying" there was no "Make it my dying dying.......cough" comment? Should be there shouldn't it?

I think my LP is an eighties version? Was that only on the original A1 version?

Just played my old Physical Graffiti on Vinyl for the first time in at least 15 years and was shocked that at the end of "In My time of Dying" there was no "Make it my dying dying.......cough" comment? Should be there shouldn't it?

My LP is from '79 and it's on there- however the first cd I had of PG it's not.

As far as I know it's on all the versions. Personally, I love that it's there.

Are you sure it's an eighties version? I purchased all my LZ vinyl in the mid-80s and my copy of PG has the entire piece left intact. Right after "...cough" Jimmy noodles some funny lick on his guitar and then it cuts off.

I've listened to the cd version of this song and it feels weird to not have that little gem hanging onto the end of it.

Are you sure it's an eighties version? I purchased all my LZ vinyl in the mid-80s and my copy of PG has the entire piece left intact. Right after "...cough" Jimmy noodles some funny lick on his guitar and then it cuts off.

I've listened to the cd version of this song and it feels weird to not have that little gem hanging onto the end of it.

I think they were referring to the version on the first CD releases.

Pretty sure he was talking about vinyl.

As far as I know, it was only the CD releases from the mid eighties that had the studio chat missing. It was then put right when the 1990 Remasters box set was released.

Worn out a few over the years and never had one missing the studio chatter after IMTOD. 70s, 80s, etc. It's there on all of them. Puzzling.

I'm really gutted and shocked it's not on my LP. The lp says on the spine

SSK 89400-0 SS2-200 France WE 322

I'm pretty sure I bought this from somewhere like HMV in London's Oxford street in the late eighties?

I'm assuming that's a Swan Song record. If it is I don't have a clue why that piece is missing. Highly unusual.

There are variances to fade outs on different pressings through the years. In fact, you'd be surprised how many songs were "snipped" on Led Zeppelin The Definitive Collection (the boxed set released in '90).

Could you site some examples please, then I can compare them to my original vinyl's.

I know when it first came out on CD, that part was left off and then they fixed it and put it out with that on it, (within a few weeks, if I remember right). I know because I bought it and then rebought it. So I guess they messed that up on vinyl also. This was 1987.

QUOTE (SteveAJones @ Aug 17 2008, 06:50 PM)

There are variances to fade outs on different pressings through the years. In fact, you'd be surprised how many songs were "snipped" on Led Zeppelin The Definitive Collection (the boxed set released in '90).

Could you site some examples please, then I can compare them to my original vinyl's.

Almost every song that has a fade ... I would imagine there would be too much tape hiss/crackles/noise to fix the fade outs. I'm talking about turning up the volume to hear the complete fade--but be careful when the next tune comes in, it will make you almost jump out of your skin!!

Off the top of my head: Good Times Bad Times, Ramble On, Houses of the Holy, The Rover, Black Dog, Carouselambra ... the list goes on and on.

Being a teenager I would listen to every note Zep played with my headphones cranked and paid close attention to the fade outs. It was disappointing that the fade outs were cut short for the remasters.

It was missing from the copy I bought during the eighties as well. I was disappointed as I'd borrowed a copy off a friend a few weeks earlier and it was all intact.

I was pleased when I bought the CD a few years later to find it had been put back.

Archived