Allman Bros really loved Zep

mseeley

Upon further review, there was no dislike between Allman Brothers and Zep.....

From NY Post 4/22/09

DICKEY Betts -- the legendary guitarist who had a bitter divorce from the Allman Brothers Band in 2000 -- didn't like what the band's drummer, Butch Trucks, said recently about the late Duane Allman. Trucks told Relix magazine that Allman reacted badly when he saw Led Zeppelin for the first time with Robert Plant prancing about the stage in velvet pants. "We were all looking at each other, [like] 'What the [bleep] is this?' . . . Duane got up and said, 'I'm either going to go up there and kick the [bleep] out of that guy or we're leaving.' And we all got up and left. It just infuriated Duane. He was so let down by one of his gods." But Betts tells Page Six, "I know Duane didn't feel that way and never said that. We loved [Jimmy] Page and those guys. It's ludicrous. And it's not fair to Duane Allman, who has passed away and can't speak for himself. He had his velvet pants himself." Betts -- who's touring this summer with his band, Great Southern -- said he called us because he doesn't want the world to think Duane was "narrow-minded and edgy . . . I wanted to stand up for my brother."

Further proof not to trust everything you read.

Sounds more like a difference in opinion from two parties that are already warring factions anyway. The other big factor is the source, The NY Post, which is pretty much the equivalent of The National Enquirer. What kills me is how people will let stuff like this change their opinion of a band. Even if it's true it doesn't change how I feel about Duane Allman or the Allman Brothers Band. Same for Bun E. Carlos and remarks he supposedly made about Bonham. I'm still a Cheap Trick fan and always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including those folks who may be critical of Led Zeppelin.

Oh no, don't tell me Bun E. made some stupid remark about Bonzo! Let's hear it, what did he say?

I have no idea what it was now but it sure got everyone here in a tizzy. Much like offhand remarks made by others such as Leno or Craig Ferguson about Plant/Zeppelin (which were very clearly meant in jest), many saw it as an opportunity to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Oh no, don't tell me Bun E. made some stupid remark about Bonzo! Let's hear it, what did he say?

I would be interested in knowing too. If it was about Bonzo's drumming then he would be a tit. If, however, it was about Bonzo's sometimes less than savoury drunken behaviour well that would be different.

Suffice to say though, that he wouldn't have made said comments to Bonzo's face. :D

Sounds more like a difference in opinion from two parties that are already warring factions anyway. The other big factor is the source, The NY Post, which is pretty much the equivalent of The National Enquirer. What kills me is how people will let stuff like this change their opinion of a band. Even if it's true it doesn't change how I feel about Duane Allman or the Allman Brothers Band. Same for Bun E. Carlos and remarks he supposedly made about Bonham. I'm still a Cheap Trick fan and always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including those folks who may be critical of Led Zeppelin.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• 1 month later...
Current Allmans guitar player Warren Haynes is a big Zep fan. He plays many Zep covers, has jammed with JPJ too!

The Allman Brothers even covered Dazed and Confused at one of their Beacon Theater shows.

A little clearer take on the Allmans' point of view. As for Warren Haynes, he's in his 40s. Duane Allman would be in his 60s. The difference between being born in 1946 and 1960 is a big one in the American South.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News...ost-beaten-414/

Ten years ago the late Allman Brothers manager and Capricorn Records founder Phil Walden told a story about the band’s first-ever Northeast performance, opening for the Velvet Underground at the Boston Tea Party in May 1969. In keeping with the bizarre co-billing, the Brothers were asked why they didn’t dress better for the show.

“What we wear has damn little to do with the music,” was Duane Allman’s terse response, according to Walden.

Turns out Allman’s feelings about stage attire – and stage demeanor – were indeed strongly felt. In a new interview with Relix magazine, Allman Brothers Band drummer Butch Trucks says the late guitarist nearly attacked Robert Plant when the Brothers shared a bill with Led Zeppelin during the latter’s first-ever American tour. The problem? Plant’s flashy clothing, and his “ballet-like” stage routine.

“Robert Plant starts running all over the stage with his velvet pants on, and we were all looking at each other, (like) 'What the f**k is this?',” Trucks said. “It was as much about the ballet and the costumes as about the music, if not more so ... Duane got up and said, 'I'm either going to go up there and kick the f**k out of that guy or we're leaving.' And we all got up and left. It just infuriated Duane. He was so let down by one of his gods.”

Duane Allman's death in 1971 remains one of rock's greatest tragedies. On the other hand, at least he didn't have to endure the excesses of glam rock.

A little clearer take on the Allmans' point of view. As for Warren Haynes, he's in his 40s. Duane Allman would be in his 60s. The difference between being born in 1946 and 1960 is a big one in the American South.

Ten years ago the late Allman Brothers manager and Capricorn Records founder Phil Walden told a story about the band’s first-ever Northeast performance, opening for the Velvet Underground at the Boston Tea Party in May 1969. In keeping with the bizarre co-billing, the Brothers were asked why they didn’t dress better for the show.

“What we wear has damn little to do with the music,” was Duane Allman’s terse response, according to Walden.

Turns out Allman’s feelings about stage attire – and stage demeanor – were indeed strongly felt. In a new interview with Relix magazine, Allman Brothers Band drummer Butch Trucks says the late guitarist nearly attacked Robert Plant when the Brothers shared a bill with Led Zeppelin during the latter’s first-ever American tour. The problem? Plant’s flashy clothing, and his “ballet-like” stage routine.

“Robert Plant starts running all over the stage with his velvet pants on, and we were all looking at each other, (like) 'What the f**k is this?',” Trucks said. “It was as much about the ballet and the costumes as about the music, if not more so ... Duane got up and said, 'I'm either going to go up there and kick the f**k out of that guy or we're leaving.' And we all got up and left. It just infuriated Duane. He was so let down by one of his gods.”

This is hilarious. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I can understand how bands such as The Allman Brothers, The Outlaws, The Marshall Tucker Band, and Molly Hatchet would consider Robert's stage moves as being "theatrical" or "ballet-like" compared to their own. They just stood there and jammed.

And re: the flashy clothing. I never considered Robert's stage attire to be too flashy or glam. Maybe the flouncy shirts and the bare chest? :D But the above mentioned bands usually wore just jeans and plain shirts (and cowboy boots, lol). Jimmy's stage costumes (the "old girl") were far more flashy than Robert's, in my opinion.

Duane Allman's death in 1971 remains one of rock's greatest tragedies. On the other hand, at least he didn't have to endure the excesses of glam rock.

I have been a Led Zeppelin fan for over 25 years now and have read almost every book about them, collected dozens of bootlegs, and even seen Page and Plant over 10 times. However, I have never heard or read anything about them sharing the same bill with the Allman Brothers. Of course it is possible that they may have, since I wasn't born then. I know they played a bunch of festival dates with the likes of Cream, Janis Joplin, the Doors, James Brown, the Jeff Beck Group, Ten Years After, Santana, and so on... Even once in Maryland with the Who. So maybe they did share some date(s) with the Allman Brothers. No big deal.

Huh? I think this thing is already cleared up some months ago?

"ButchTrucks wrote:

You got it wrong. Nobody cared about Robert Plant. He was just the dude doing the most jumping around. Duane worshiped The Yardbirds and Clapton and Back (sic) had gone on to make some very good music after them. When he learned that Jimmy Page was in a new band and that we could see them he was really excited about seeing where he was headed. Just suffice it to say that he was extremely disappointed to learn that one of his gods (Page not Plant)had Led feet (pun intended). To Duane it was always about the music. The theatrics (I am not criticizing an extremely influential band. Merely passing on a historical fact) just distracted from the music. His opinion and mine. Everyone else is very much allowed their own. I would surmise that the vast majority of humanity could care less about my or anyone elses opinion posted here. I happen to think that 'Trane and Miles trump them all, but that is just my opinion.

4/13/2009 12:49 PM EDT"

Huh? I think this thing is already cleared up some months ago?

That's exactly what I was going to say. :huh:

As in, Duane Allman never said any such thing?

As stated in the first post in this thread? This thread has become totally schizophrenic! :lol:

The Allmans basically screwed Dickie anyway. Granted he's had his drug problems, but Greg Allman has nerve calling ANYONE a drug addict, he was shooting up until 1995!!! Dickie is a way better guitar player than Derek and he wrote 90% of the Allmans hits! I have seen the Allmans many times with Dickie and I refuse to see them w/o him. I have seen Derek, he is good, but he's not Dickie. There is NO Allman Bros without Dickie in my eyes. Who wants to see them, and not here Blue Sky or Liz Reed????? Ridiculous!

I could care less what a musician wears, just play man!!!!!

I have seen the Allmans many times with Dickie and I refuse to see them w/o him. I have seen Derek, he is good, but he's not Dickie. There is NO Allman Bros without Dickie in my eyes. Who wants to see them, and not here Blue Sky or Liz Reed????? Ridiculous!

I saw them just a few weeks ago. They opened the show with a 23-minute long Mountain Jam and closed it with a 22-minute long In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. One of the best performances I've ever seen. And then I got to see Warren Haynes again an hour later when The Dead took the stage! :D

I have been a Led Zeppelin fan for over 25 years now and have read almost every book about them, collected dozens of bootlegs, and even seen Page and Plant over 10 times. However, I have never heard or read anything about them sharing the same bill with the Allman Brothers. Of course it is possible that they may have, since I wasn't born then. I know they played a bunch of festival dates with the likes of Cream, Janis Joplin, the Doors, James Brown, the Jeff Beck Group, Ten Years After, Santana, and so on... Even once in Maryland with the Who. So maybe they did share some date(s) with the Allman Brothers. No big deal.

Maybe I missed something here but this is about Duane attending a Zeppelin show. I didn't see anything in there about the Allmans sharing a bill with them.

There some who hold tight to the belief that there is no Allman Brothers without Duane and insist the band be called "The Allman Brother Band". They have been through many personnel changes through the years besides losing Berry and Duane. Dickey was a definitely a huge loss but from what I understand he's had some pretty deep problems that apparently couldn't be reconciled. He was apparently invited to the recent Beacon run (which was done in honor of Duane) but didn't reply so at least the olive branch was extended. I didn't think they would be the same without Dickey either but caught them last year on a bill that also included Mofro and the Drive-By Truckers and the Allmans blew me away. They still have it. That is something that is very rare for a band that's been around as long as they have. I'm a huge Skynyrd fan but go to one of their shows and what you basically have is a nostalgia act. The Allmans aren't like that. They still sound just as vital and fresh as they ever have, if not more so. There are some that will even go as far as to say Derek is better than Duane. I'd love to see Dickey back in the band but if there's bad blood there then it's probably for the best that they don't play together.

That's exactly what I was going to say. :huh:

As in, Duane Allman never said any such thing?

As stated in the first post in this thread? This thread has become totally schizophrenic! :lol:

I just posted because I got an email from Gibson.com about a new guitar, and there was the article. :lol:

Archived