What Made You Un-Happy Today ?

The Rover

After spending 3 Hours at the A E Department with this Horse Fly bite yesterday....My bloody leg is still about 4 times its normal size and painful even after taking Penicillin for 24 Hours.

Roll on winter so all those nasty little blighters DIE or at least stay dormant for a while....:angry:

We used to have horses for a time when I was a kid, and those horse flies used to freak me out whenever it was my turn to feed and clean out the horse stall. Fortunately, I never got bit by one...I had no idea they could cause such damage.

I'm wishing you well, Fool, on your recovery.

I bought a vest at H&M over the weekend in L.A. without trying it on and when I settled in at home, I discovered it doesn't fit. Texas doesn't have any H&M stores. sad.gif My fault, but when I called the store to see if I can somehow exchange it via mail, I was told that all they can do is hold the size I need for 24 hours. blink.gif How the hell do they expect me to manage that?rolleyes.gif

I never realised H&M was now in the US. I was in H&M in Sheffield the other week and I swear all the clothes are undersized, either that or I've put on lots of weight since I last went clothes shopping. :o

Perhaps you know someone you can call in LA that can go get the size you need at H & M and exchange it for you? An aunt or somebody? :whistling:

Of course, as you by now know, there IS an H & M in Texas...Dallas, Texas to be precise. But here's even better news for you: http://houston.cultu...ons-in-Houston/

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Yay!!!banana.gif I didn't know about H&M coming to Houston. All I need is In N Out to build a few stores here and I won't need L.A. anymore.laugh.gif Plus, I don't know a single soul in that town.tongue.gif

I am planning a trip to Dallas to return the vest and make a stop at In N Out. cheer.gif

Magic, I have been to the H&M in Chicago and now two in L.A. I agree that the sizes are running small for some reason, as if they used children as models. That just hits a woman's self esteem.

Believe it or not, a University professor of mine made me unhappy and very very angry. You see, I am doing an advanced Applied Econometrics course called "Microeconometrics" which involves extensive usage of software like Matlab, STATA, Gauss and R.

We have 3 assignments to turn in and there are no exams for this paper. The majority of people in my class hail from various provinces across China. My professor is Chinese.

Now, my friends have alleged that a couple of days before the 2nd assignment was due for submission (it proved to be exceptionally complicated involving Kernel density estimation through the Rule of Thumb bandwidth and the usage of "Cross Validation" techniques"), 5 girls who happen to be from the same province as my professor, went to his office at midnight on the 29th of September, and stayed there till about 2 AM where he was teaching them how to use the Matlab software (which none of us know how, since we use STATA most of the time) and he eventually just gave them the matlab codes which could be very conveniently used to compute the output and hence the ENTIRE answer to the assignment in a matter of minutes!!!! :o I knew those girls were close to him because I have heard them and my professor conversing in Chinese during the lecture hours and of course, outside the lecture hours. Now, I thought these allegations were very serious and I couldn't believe that he actually could do such a thing (by being so partial to some students while leaving out the others in the cold) and I tried giving my professor the benefit of doubt. But, the very next day after my friends told me about what the guy had done, we all received a very cryptic email from the man, during the weekend before the assignment was due for submission. I am copying and pasting it here :

"If you want to turn in your solution to me before the next Monday in class, please put in my mailbox.

Also, to be fair to everyone, and don't introduce more trouble to myself, please do not ask me how to write code and I am only available during my office hour".

When I saw that email, I honestly got so angry that I was literally trembling with rage. On the same day that man gave away all the answers to that assignment to 5 "elite" students, my friends and I (who were struggling!) went to him just hours before those girls did to clarify some of our queries. And he very cooly replies "Oh, you will find my notes very straight forward. So, you do it by yourself". If this isn't partiality and discrimination of the worst kind, I don't know what the fuck is!!!! :angry: If he wants to encourage cheating as far as assignments are concerned, then atleast let him treat ALL students on equal footing, irrespective of their race, roots, colour and all other such trival attributes!

It really pains me that I can't report the man to anyone. The thing is, the grades that I get this year are so important on so many different levels that if I know what's good for me, I will just have to shut the fuck up and go on because I am convinced that if anyone dares complain about this man's unscruplous actions, he will take that person to task by failing them! That I am 100% sure! It is just sick and unfair that people like this hold jobs as professors and literally hold the future of so many students in their hands! :angry::( Sorry for ranting! I couldn't help myself! This was one of those moments in my life when I felt so fuckin' helpless! :(

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

^^^That sounds like you're stuck in a difficult situation, Kiwi. Not that it helps you any, but your professor is not the only one who plays favourites...it's a scourge on many campuses, so you're not alone.

Might there be a way for you and your friends to gather evidence to corroborate your charges, so it's not just a "he said-she said" situation? Someone like that shouldn't be teaching and it would be a shame if he's allowed to continue unimpeded.

I didn't graduate from college, so I'm afraid I can't be much help to you...and I am not versed in your school's protocols in bringing charges against professors, but I wish you luck.

I will say this: in the long run, it will be those 5 girls who are hurt by this. For there will come a time when they won't have that professor around to coddle and protect them. They will have to sink or swim on their own ability.

You, having the experience of having to do the hard work yourself, will always have that knowledge and self-confidence to rely on in any tough situation you find yourself.

Go get 'em, girl!

^Strider, your post made me view the entire issue in a new light! Thank you! :) I am indeed convinced of my professor's guilt especially after reading that email he sent all of us. In terms of concrete proof, that email is unfortunately the only thing I have. But, if a third person who knew nothing about this man was to read that email, he or she would clearly be inclined to dismiss all the allegations against him. That email has been worded in an exceptionally cryptic and crafty fashion. It is just close to impossible to pin the man down for what he did. IMHO, he should be sacked immediately from the University. I truly cannot believe that people like these are actually awarded PhDs and enter the teaching profession! He is a disgrace to the Economics Department and to the University itself, if you ask me. I just hate the man so much now. For one thing, he is famous for making "Microeconometrics" appear more complicated than what it seems and now, looks like he will stop at nothing to help his "fellow country men" :rolleyes: achieve the best possible grades! The entire course is a sham if you ask me! Anyway, my conscience is clear. I know for a fact that my friends and I worked exceptionally hard at that assignment and did our very best and actually learnt something! :)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

^^I agree with Strider Kiwi. If you can gather any concrete evidence to implicate this professor then you should contact the Head of Department or even someone more senior in the university. Even if you can't get the evidence, I still think you should write an anonymous letter outlining what has occured. He deserves to get the sack for behaviour like that, and it makes me sick that people in senior positions can get away with it. In UK universitities it's now forbidden for students and lecturers to have relationships. When I was at university I once overheard a senior Professor commenting on a female student's 'kinky' boots! :o He was notoriously sleazy. We had a Women's Officer in the department I was in who was an arch feminist and took any complaints of harassment or sexism very seriously.

^Magic, that man you described sounds like a downright scumbag! You just cannot go about making personal remarks about students! It is just not done! :o And these people have the nerve to refer to themselves as "professionals". Yeah right! dry.gif Well, as far as this whole situation regarding my "Microeconometrics" professor is concerned, I have a weapon which I really didn't want to use at first, but now I am left with no choice. My dissertation supervisor happens to be the "Director of Postgraduate Studies". I think I will slowly try and take up the matter with him. He is a highly respected, senior member of that department. I am going to tread very carefully at this point but honestly, something needs to be done.

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Believe it or not, a University professor of mine made me unhappy and very very angry. You see, I am doing an advanced Applied Econometrics course called "Microeconometrics" which involves extensive usage of software like Matlab, STATA, Gauss and R.

We have 3 assignments to turn in and there are no exams for this paper. The majority of people in my class hail from various provinces across China. My professor is Chinese.

Now, my friends have alleged that a couple of days before the 2nd assignment was due for submission (it proved to be exceptionally complicated involving Kernel density estimation through the Rule of Thumb bandwidth and the usage of "Cross Validation" techniques"), 5 girls who happen to be from the same province as my professor, went to his office at midnight on the 29th of September, and stayed there till about 2 AM where he was teaching them how to use the Matlab software (which none of us know how, since we use STATA most of the time) and he eventually just gave them the matlab codes which could be very conveniently used to compute the output and hence the ENTIRE answer to the assignment in a matter of minutes!!!! :o I knew those girls were close to him because I have heard them and my professor conversing in Chinese during the lecture hours and of course, outside the lecture hours. Now, I thought these allegations were very serious and I couldn't believe that he actually could do such a thing (by being so partial to some students while leaving out the others in the cold) and I tried giving my professor the benefit of doubt. But, the very next day after my friends told me about what the guy had done, we all received a very cryptic email from the man, during the weekend before the assignment was due for submission. I am copying and pasting it here :

"If you want to turn in your solution to me before the next Monday in class, please put in my mailbox.

Also, to be fair to everyone, and don't introduce more trouble to myself, please do not ask me how to write code and I am only available during my office hour".

When I saw that email, I honestly got so angry that I was literally trembling with rage. On the same day that man gave away all the answers to that assignment to 5 "elite" students, my friends and I (who were struggling!) went to him just hours before those girls did to clarify some of our queries. And he very cooly replies "Oh, you will find my notes very straight forward. So, you do it by yourself". If this isn't partiality and discrimination of the worst kind, I don't know what the fuck is!!!! :angry: If he wants to encourage cheating as far as assignments are concerned, then atleast let him treat ALL students on equal footing, irrespective of their race, roots, colour and all other such trival attributes!

It really pains me that I can't report the man to anyone. The thing is, the grades that I get this year are so important on so many different levels that if I know what's good for me, I will just have to shut the fuck up and go on because I am convinced that if anyone dares complain about this man's unscruplous actions, he will take that person to task by failing them! That I am 100% sure! It is just sick and unfair that people like this hold jobs as professors and literally hold the future of so many students in their hands! :angry::( Sorry for ranting! I couldn't help myself! This was one of those moments in my life when I felt so fuckin' helpless! :(

Sorry to hear about your rotten experience. When I was going to school we got to fill out teacher evaluation forms at the end of each semester. It sure kept professors from doing anything like what you described. Good luck with your class.

Kiwi - if you're going to go to the other respected prof you mentioned, best to do it before your prof hands back the assignment. That way, if the five favoured students have similar, high grades it strengthens the veracity of your accusation. The least they can do is look into it. It hurts no one, and maintains the school's credibility. Universities compete for students' money through programs and reputations. If word about this gets out, it could be bad press for the school. There must be some guidelines that profs get about what lines not to cross, similar to those students get about plagiarism. Good luck with this situation, Kiwi. I hope it work out in your favour and the truth comes out.

Sorry to hear about your rotten experience. When I was going to school we got to fill out teacher evaluation forms at the end of each semester. It sure kept professors from doing anything like what you described. Good luck with your class.

Well, we do have teacher evaluations here too. It takes place about a week before the semester ends. But I don't think these evaluations do much good, by the look of it! :o:unsure:

Kiwi - if you're going to go to the other respected prof you mentioned, best to do it before your prof hands back the assignment. That way, if the five favoured students have similar, high grades it strengthens the veracity of your accusation. The least they can do is look into it. It hurts no one, and maintains the school's credibility. Universities compete for students' money through programs and reputations. If word about this gets out, it could be bad press for the school. There must be some guidelines that profs get about what lines not to cross, similar to those students get about plagiarism. Good luck with this situation, Kiwi. I hope it work out in your favour and the truth comes out.

I absolutely agree with you! Thanks for the good advice! :) I have till the end of the semester actually because he told us that he will start correcting those damn assignments from around the 18th of October or so and the results will be out by the end of the month or so. I and a couple of my friends will be taking the matter up this week (most probably tomorrow) with that senior professor I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. Hopefully, something good will come out of this entire mess! :mellow:

feeling unwell the past few days. sore throat, killer headache, coughing ..... cry.gif

went to work yesterday, but i called in sick today.

I am so sorry to hear that! :( Having recovered from the flu myself pretty recently, I know exactly what you must be going through! I do think you need at least 2 to 3 days off from work. I know it can be awful calling in sick for a couple of days but believe me, at this point, you need all the rest you can get! :console2: I think you need some soup, some cough syrup like Benadryl for example, a packet full of lozenges (preferably Vicks or Halls) and plenty of bed rest! :) Cheer up! You'll get well! Don't worry! :friends:

Slave to Zep: I hope you feel much better very soon. console.gif

It rained here all day today which is what we need but a lightening strike blew out a transformer in our neighborhood so the power was out for a few hours. The rain also made me feel a bit melancholy and cold since the weather cooled. All of that made me crave junk food so I ate what I try to avoid which are burgers and fries. On top of all of that, I actually watched football today and had to stomach my hometown team lose to a mediocre team. I don't even like football but it was a close game so it was fun watching until the Texans made such stupid mistakes. They should have won. dry.gif

Get well soon!!

thanks sweetie! i went to work today, only to find that the boss is off sick with the same thing! but amazingly he has had 4 days off! ( i only had 1 ).

ah well, he is a man ....... :P

antibiotics haven't started working yet, my voice still sounds very gravelly. :(

Edited by slave to zep

feeling unwell the past few days. sore throat, killer headache, coughing ..... cry.gif

went to work yesterday, but i called in sick today.

antibiotics haven't started working yet, my voice still sounds very gravelly. :(

Hi slavetozep,

I am sorry to read about you being ill. :(

I hope you feel better soon!! I would send you some Florida sunshine, but all it does is rain here lately.

But, I am sending my own good wishes of rainbows and sunshine your way anyhow! :)

If it helps, my doc told me the last time I had a turn with antibiotics that the 3rd day is the "magic" day. This is when they will be absorbed or whatever the medical term is and a person feels the full effect, and better. Are you close to the 3rd day yet? Can you drink tea, hot chocolate, milkshakes or other tasty things for your throat? Well, keep us posted and feel better. ...............:) missy

Hi slavetozep,

I am sorry to read about you being ill. :(

I hope you feel better soon!! I would send you some Florida sunshine, but all it does is rain here lately.

But, I am sending my own good wishes of rainbows and sunshine your way anyhow! :)

If it helps, my doc told me the last time I had a turn with antibiotics that the 3rd day is the "magic" day. This is when they will be absorbed or whatever the medical term is and a person feels the full effect, and better. Are you close to the 3rd day yet? Can you drink tea, hot chocolate, milkshakes or other tasty things for your throat? Well, keep us posted and feel better. ...............:) missy

hi missy :)

starting to feel a bit better. yes, i had a nice berry and white chocolate frappe for lunch the other day,like an iced coffee . it felt soothing to my throat .... yummo

thankyou so much for your good wishes, i think they are helping! :)