Where were you the first time you heard Zeppelin

Deborah J

Where were you the first time you heard a Zeppelin Song and what impact did it have on you.

Stairway to Heaven,

....First Term, High School '76, Most likely Cafeteria Juke Box (or could have been classroom Radio, specifically, Mr. Featherstone's Home Room class) among many others ie. Nazareth, Boston....(Oh, you are reminding me of my mustard/yellow color cotton shirt, something Like Knebworth Jimmy and of course my open long in-my-face dark hair....God, I am going back in time.... :D

..Impact, It has lead me to join so many other fans here like you........D . Even though I didn't understand the lyrics, the emotional depth in Robert's voice and sensitivity of Page's Guitar convinced me that they are indeed extra ordinary musicians....(simply, I wanted to hear that song again and again from the very first time........) :D :D

The first time I heard a Zeppelin song (or at least part of it) was when I was in high school, it would have been 2003. I remember watching TV at home and I saw a Cadillac commercial that played Rock and Roll and I remember thinking of how cool it sounded. I didn't actually get into Zeppelin until nearly four years later.

Sometime around late winter / early spring 69. The corner store at Broadway and Columbia St. in Vancouver. The oldest son and his brother who were working the store had it cranked ! Thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard :)

It was 1976 or '77...I am not sure...

I was on a school trip, and bought a "The Song Remains The Same"-cassette at a gas station, and played it over and over on the bus.

Me and my classmate were blown away, especially by "Rock And Roll" and "Celebration Day"

Been a Zep-freak ever since :D

B)

I really don't know but I do remember that one of the earlier times that I heard and watch was a videoclip of Kashmir on VH1.

I just really liked the song and I remember that it sound and looked really retro and old, sound-wise that is, but really cool too which I thought was strange because even though as a child I had listen to old stuff like Pink Floyd or Deep Purple at that point and for quite some time I used to listen to contemporary music (a lot from mtv) and some stuff from the 90's only and thought of that kind of music as dad's music or old and dated and therefore without interest.

Well, I was wrong obviously there are things that are going to pass the test of time and achieve the status of timeless and/or classic and will always sound good. :)

Stairway to Heaven,

....First Term, High School '76, Most likely Cafeteria Juke Box (or could have been classroom Radio, specifically, Mr. Featherstone's Home Room class) among many others ie. Nazareth, Boston....(Oh, you are reminding me of my mustard/yellow color cotton shirt, something Like Knebworth Jimmy and of course my open long in-my-face dark hair....God, I am going back in time.... :D

..Impact, It has lead me to join so many other fans here like you........D . Even though I didn't understand the lyrics, the emotional depth in Robert's voice and sensitivity of Page's Guitar convinced me that they are indeed extra ordinary musicians....(simply, I wanted to hear that song again and again from the very first time........) :D :D

Great story! For me I was 9 years old. It was 1969 and I was with my Dad and we were just outside a club in the French Quarter (grew up in the Big Easy)...anyway I was standing outside while my Dad sat at the bar and from the jukebox came this song "I can't quit you baby" Blues sound that New Orleans is famous for...and I kept that sound in my head for days....and then went to see them May 14, 1973 at the Municiple Auditorium.

Stairway to Heaven,

Long in the face hair, wished it would come back for men!! Isn't it funny that most people always say "That Sound" and that is what it was. It was so different than any other group. I remember putting an album, yes album on- then putting head phones on which is how I learned the lyrics from the early Zep. You could just escape the world and be in the music.

I wish there was a way we could start a movement to request that they do another tour with Bonham's son on drums just so the new generation could see them live and for us more mature fans:-) to be able to feel that magic again. Just wishing and dreaming.

I was in my bedroom, at home with the radio to my ear (as usual) in 1969. The song was "Whole Lotta Love". Strangest thing I ever heard! Didn't like it much then! (foolish me! ;))

It was 1976 or '77...I am not sure...

I was on a school trip, and bought a "The Song Remains The Same"-cassette at a gas station, and played it over and over on the bus.

Me and my classmate were blown away, especially by "Rock And Roll" and "Celebration Day"

Been a Zep-freak ever since :D

B)

That's pretty cool. At a gas station? That's a bit surprising.

I first heard Stairway To Heaven on the radio about seven years ago and I've been a LedHed ever since. :D:D:P

I was in a car

(Well, I think i've said this before, but my dad has probably played Zep when I was probably 5 or six years old, but who am I supposed to remember that this was the almighty Zep and where exactly I was :P !)

I remember like 2 or 3 years ago I heard Staiway to Heaven on the radio.

My thoughts: I was trying to think how Robert looked (Well, I didn't know his name at first, but you get what I mean) I'm not sure why but 2 years ago I always tried to think about how band members looked like :huh: But I also thought about the song, the singing gave me goose bumps and I just thought everything went into eachother so beautifully!

I was floating around in embryonic fluid.

Oh yes, I remember it perfectly...

My mom was driving down the road with the radio on, and Immigrant Song came on. As for it's impact on me, I believe I kicked the crap outta my darling Mother.

Where were you the first time you heard a Zeppelin Song and what impact did it have on you.

I was watching a music show on TV,this time I loved Queen-there should be their videos and before Queen videos there were Led Zep videos :D The first was a remake of Going to California,i remember only My brother said the drummer is the best in the world and Jimmy had his hair over his eyes and Robert was screaming :)

It was 2003 and I was 8 and my dad sat me down at a listening station at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. He put on WLL and I fell in love. I bought my first Zepp album that day, the Early Days/ Latter Days box set and never turned back. As for the impact it had on me, I'm now 14and I play guitar in a band who is getting ready to record a third album and I own every Zeppelin album and listen to them every day. I guess you could say they had a pretty strong impact on me. :D

• 3 months later...

I was 14 in October of 1969. I had heard the "word on the street" about this band called Led Zeppelin, and so, I was very interested in checking them out. The last time I had heard a "word on the street" about any band, it was 1964, and the group was The Beatles . . .

As I had just turned 14, I took some of my Birthday money, and went to the Record Dept. of the local Sanger-Harris Dept. store, and found a brand new Led Zeppelin release waiting for me there: Led Zep II. I bought it, and took it home. I went into the Stereo "room", a lighted closet, with a turntable and a receiver and table with albums. From this room, concealed wires went to the speakers in the living room.

For this very first listening experience to the mighty Led Zeppelin, I chose the privacy of the stereo closet, and a pair of Koss -- Full Size-- Headphones. I was not dissapointed !!

It was there, in the seclusion of that stereo closet, that my 14 year old virgin mind was blown away with the sonic assault of the sounds of Led Zeppelin II: "Heartbreaker" and "Whole Lotta Love" were the most amazing things that I had ever heard in my lifetime.

I came of age, musically, that night.

I could not have wished to consummate my indoctrination into Hard Rock with anything more beautiful and explosive, as the sonic delights of Led Zeppelin II.

This is sort of embarassing to admit, but, the first time I heard Led Zeppelin was in 1977 on NY Top 40 radio station 99X. The dj said "Here's Led Zeppelin, with 'Stairway To Heaven'". I listened to it and.... I absolutely hated it! To me, it was a long & boring song, and every time they played it, I would turn it off! One time 99X asked listeners to send them a list of songs they wanted & didn't want 99X to play- and I put "Stairway" as one I didn't want them to play!

Two years later, I heard "Kashmir" (not on 99X, I was listening to album rock stations now) and that song changed everything for me. I instantly became a Zeppelin junkie, and discovered my love & appreciation for "Stairway".

Archived