Jimmy Page and the future

It's obvious that Jimmy (this could apply equally to John Paul also), has no inclination to play with anyone other than his musical soul mates RP and JPJ and possibly Jason.

John Paul Jones has been playing with (as well as producing) lots of artists in recent years: Uncle Earl, Sara Watkins, the Mutual Admiration Society, the Duhks, Sonic Youth, etc. He's also put in appearances at MerleFest and Bonnaroo. While he expressed an interest in the project with Page and Jason Bonham, he's by no means limited himself to just that. In fact, he recently appeared on TV performing in Sara Watkins' band. He also took part in the Merce Cunningham Dance Company project along with Sonic Youth in NYC recently. That indicates to me that he indeed does have a desire to perform with others. Many others in fact.

One off performances or working on someone else's albums do not a band make.

Perhaps but I gathered from your statement that Jones "has no inclination to play with anyone other than his musical soul mates RP and JPJ and possibly Jason". You said nothing whatsoever about Jones having no inclination to play in a band again. That's why I mentioned his interest in the potential project with Page and Jason Bonham. It's obvious he has much more of a desire to actively participate in music in general than Page at this point. That participation may be producing others or sitting in on various projects (live, studio and otherwise) but the interest is most certainly there and has been for quite some time now.

Perhaps but I gathered from your statement that Jones "has no inclination to play with anyone other than his musical soul mates RP and JPJ and possibly Jason". You said nothing whatsoever about Jones having no inclination to play in a band again. That's why I mentioned his interest in the potential project with Page and Jason Bonham. It's obvious he has much more of a desire to actively participate in music in general than Page at this point. That participation may be producing others or sitting in on various projects (live, studio and otherwise) but the interest is most certainly there and has been for quite some time now.

I'm sure JPJ is enjoying keeping his hand in and personally I hope he continues to do so.

One thing I noticed in IMGL was the enthusiasm Jimmy had with the other two players, it's just a shame that he hasn't followed it up with something else.

John Paul and Robert have been the most prolific of the three of them post Zeppelin, Jimmy hasn't exactly done nothing but compared to the others it is less.

My feeling is that were JPJ to commit to a project be it recording new material and / or playing live, he would prefer it to be with Jimmy and Robert.

John Paul and Robert have been the most prolific of the three of them post Zeppelin, Jimmy hasn't exactly done nothing but compared to the others it is less.

Is it really accurate to say JPJ has been more active than Page since Zep? Certainly recently but off the top of my head from 1980-2000 Jimmy:

• Did Death Wish II soundtrack
  • Did Jugula with Roy Harper and played gigs with him
  • Did ARMS concert and tour
  • Did The Firm and toured
  • Did Mean Business and toured
  • Did Outrider and toured
  • Did Coverdale/Page and toured Japan
  • Did Unledded and toured
  • Did WIC and toured
  • Toured with the Black Crowes
  • Remastered entire back catalogue for box set
  • Produced and releaced BBC Sessions

In that time period I actually think he was more active than JPJ, even though Jonesy did some production, Diamanda Galas, etc. Seems to me it's since his back injury that he really slowed things down. Whether or not that was a factor, I don't know.

Is it really accurate to say JPJ has been more active than Page since Zep? Certainly recently but off the top of my head from 1980-2000 Jimmy:

• Did Death Wish II soundtrack
  • Did Jugula with Roy Harper and played gigs with him
  • Did ARMS concert and tour
  • Did The Firm and toured
  • Did Mean Business and toured
  • Did Outrider and toured
  • Did Coverdale/Page and toured Japan
  • Did Unledded and toured
  • Did WIC and toured
  • Toured with the Black Crowes
  • Remastered entire back catalogue for box set
  • Produced and releaced BBC Sessions

In that time period I actually think he was more active than JPJ, even though Jonesy did some production, Diamanda Galas, etc. Seems to me it's since his back injury that he really slowed things down. Whether or not that was a factor, I don't know.

Releasing previous material is not "new" work.

One off performances and The Black Crowes while good isn't either.

The point is if you take away all the remasters, the other live albums and collaborations there are only a few things that could be considered new.

My post was not and should not have been taken as a criticism only an observation.

Releasing previous material is not "new" work.

One off performances and The Black Crowes while good isn't either.

The point is if you take away all the remasters, the other live albums and collaborations there are only a few things that could be considered new.

My post was not and should not have been taken as a criticism only an observation.

I didn't take it as a criticism. But if you only look at "new work", it excludes, many, many things that he's been busy with. Things he actually wanted to do. But he's still done more new work than JPJ since Zep disbanded.

Having said that, I'd love to hear something new out of him like everyone else. Especially since he's been teasing about new material in interviews for years now!

Interesting Brspy - I've never been offended by the cover!

xx

Offended?? me neither! I just think it's awful. :slapface:

And you know it takes me a LOT to get offended..... ;)

xxxx back at you!

I honestly played this album last night and Right By You has to be one of Jimmy's most blistering leads committed to tape. It's great! Stills' voice and Page's guitar really gelled and it's a shame they didn't pursue anything further.

Hopefully, Pagey, if he's not inspired to record or tour will work on some official Led Zeppelin DVDs (Earl's Court 75, Knebworth '79, O2 Concert, etc...) and some official cds like HTWWW from a few years ago (of unreleased audio).

R B)

I honestly played this album last night and Right By You has to be one of Jimmy's most blistering leads committed to tape. It's great! Stills' voice and Page's guitar really gelled and it's a shame they didn't pursue anything further.

I completely agree. When Stills played in London late last year rumour had it ( as it tends to) that JP was going to join him onstage. Sadly, it didn't happen.

I loved their chemistry together and it would be a dream to hear them do something else.

I was just thinking yesterday its only ever you and I who mention this album!

:beer:

Just my two cents, found this opinion by Allmusic, could be interesting to listen to it myself to have some of my own. After all, it's Jimmy! You guys rock, you know so much about his music.

Review by James Chrispell

See the racing boat taking off into outer space on the front cover. Flip the jacket over, and see Stephen Stills apparently co-piloting just such a ship, and you'll understand why the title of this album is so right. It's "Right by You" in so many ways, although it does contain a good bluegrass tune "No Hiding Place" and lead guitar by one Jimmy Page on several cuts. Maybe this was where Stills thought of sailing off into the sunset. This album didn't help his career.

Just my two cents, found this opinion by Allmusic, could be interesting to listen to it myself to have some of my own. After all, it's Jimmy! You guys rock, you know so much about his music.

Get it, you won't regret it! ;) Some wonderful Jimmy guitar and you would be hard to go wrong with Stephen's voice.

I did search YouTube yesterday to see if anyone had posted any of the 3 numbers he plays on, but sadly no luck.

I completely agree. When Stills played in London late last year rumour had it ( as it tends to) that JP was going to join him onstage. Sadly, it didn't happen.

I loved their chemistry together and it would be a dream to hear them do something else.

I was just thinking yesterday its only ever you and I who mention this album!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've thought the exact same thing Knebby! Even outside of this forum I've never heard anyone comment about the Page-Stills pairing. The guitar solos Jimmy contributed were concise, pithy, melodic and uplifted the songs he played on. I remember a few interviews Stephen Stills gave at the time ( 1984 ) where he stated he was forming a band with Jimmy Page. The potential was there for a lot of soulful music.

I have to shamelessly admit to not having any idea this existed :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

That is a total surprise as obviously being a Jimmy fan but also a huge Stephen Stills fan! :slapface: I've got to look into finding this immediately. I hope it's not out of print now.

I haven't heard of "Right By You" either! :bagoverhead: (But then again, I'm not familiar with Stephen Stills work.) Thanks, Knebby for mentioning it! I just looked it up on iTunes, and the whole album is only $6.90. I will definitely buy it when I get some extra cash!! :D

Oh good to hear it's not out of print then :D :D :D

I just listened to "Right By You" on rhapsady. I loved it. I had forgotten about this too. I remember Stephen Stills 's interview in Classic Rock where he talks about Jimmy and riding up the Thames with him in a boat looking for girls. It must have been at the time of this this album.

Archived