John Hughes Has Passed Away

The Pagemeister

TMZ is reporting director John Hughes suffered a heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to New York City with family.

Hughes is best known for writing and directing some of our favorite films from the 1980’s - National Lampoon’s Vacation, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, European Vacation, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Christmas Vacation, and Home Alone. Hughes dropped out of filmmaking in 1991.

He will be missed.

zz45902d7f.jpg

(CNN) -- John Hughes, whose 1980s films such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" offered a sharp-eyed look at teenagers and their social habits, has died, according to a statement from his representative. He was 59.

John Hughes (left), shown here in 2001, was behind some of the most successful comedies of the 1980s.

The director died of a heart attack while taking a morning walk in Manhattan, according to the statement.

Hughes, who was also a prolific screenwriter and producer, was at his peak in the 1980s, when his films -- which starred young actors such as Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Jon Cryer -- dominated the box office and were hailed by critics for their thoughtful teen protagonists, rarely portrayed with such sympathy in comedies.

Ringwald, in particular, became a star, thanks to her performances as the lead in "Sixteen Candles," "Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink."

For a time during the decade, the writer and director was behind two or three films a year. Among his other credits were "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), the Thanksgiving classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Home Alone" (1990).

John Hughes was born February 18, 1950, in Michigan. He started his career as an advertising copywriter in Chicago, and by the end of the 1970s was a frequent contributor to National Lampoon magazine.

His first screenwriting credit, according to the Internet Movie Database, was as a writer for the "Animal House" TV spinoff, "Delta House." But Hughes quickly moved over to the big screen, writing 1982's "National Lampoon's Class Reunion," followed the next year by "National Lampoon's Vacation," based on a story he had written for the magazine.

TMZ is reporting director John Hughes suffered a heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to New York City with family.

Hughes is best known for writing and directing some of our favorite films from the 1980’s - National Lampoon’s Vacation, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, European Vacation, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Christmas Vacation, and Home Alone. Hughes dropped out of filmmaking in 1991.

He will be missed.

zz45902d7f.jpg

(CNN) -- John Hughes, whose 1980s films such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" offered a sharp-eyed look at teenagers and their social habits, has died, according to a statement from his representative. He was 59.

John Hughes (left), shown here in 2001, was behind some of the most successful comedies of the 1980s.

The director died of a heart attack while taking a morning walk in Manhattan, according to the statement.

Hughes, who was also a prolific screenwriter and producer, was at his peak in the 1980s, when his films -- which starred young actors such as Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Jon Cryer -- dominated the box office and were hailed by critics for their thoughtful teen protagonists, rarely portrayed with such sympathy in comedies.

Ringwald, in particular, became a star, thanks to her performances as the lead in "Sixteen Candles," "Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink."

For a time during the decade, the writer and director was behind two or three films a year. Among his other credits were "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), the Thanksgiving classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Home Alone" (1990).

John Hughes was born February 18, 1950, in Michigan. He started his career as an advertising copywriter in Chicago, and by the end of the 1970s was a frequent contributor to National Lampoon magazine.

His first screenwriting credit, according to the Internet Movie Database, was as a writer for the "Animal House" TV spinoff, "Delta House." But Hughes quickly moved over to the big screen, writing 1982's "National Lampoon's Class Reunion," followed the next year by "National Lampoon's Vacation," based on a story he had written for the magazine.

Planes Trains & Automobiles, I like that movie a lot as well as Uncle Buck.

RIP

R.I.P. Loved breakfast club, it reminded me of highschool :whistling:

and so many of his others, didn't he do Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

No, it was directed Amy Heckerling and written by Cameron Crowe.

Plenty of Zep references in that one though.

Mike Damone:

"First of all Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl."

"Oh, Debbie. Hi."

"Two, you always call the shots."

"Kiss me. You won't regret it."

"Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be."

"Isn't this great?"

"Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you."

It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice."

"And five, now this is the most important, Rat."

"When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV."

Then crash, Kashmir comes booming out of the speakers!

No, it was directed Amy Heckerling and written by Cameron Crowe.

Plenty of Zep references in that one though.

Mike Damone:

"First of all Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl."

"Oh, Debbie. Hi."

"Two, you always call the shots."

"Kiss me. You won't regret it."

"Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be."

"Isn't this great?"

"Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you."

It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice."

"When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV."

Then crash, Kashmir comes booming out of the speakers!

Nancy Wilson (guitar player for Heart) was the woman in the Z28 that was laughing at Judge Reinhold in his pirate uniform.

Journalist Cameron Crowe had enjoyed a favorable relationship with Led Zeppelin for many years by the time this film was made, and his involvement was undoubtedly responsible in part for their agreeing to allow use of the song. I'd be interested to

hear his definitive explanation as to why his script doesn't match the music, as "side

one of Led Zeppelin IV" is 'Black Dog', not Kashmir, which is "side two, track three of Physical Graffiti". Damone could have just as easily held up an eight track and said

"put this in".

Journalist Cameron Crowe had enjoyed a favorable relationship with Led Zeppelin for many years by the time this film was made, and his involvement was undoubtedly responsible in part for their agreeing to allow use of the song. I'd be interested to

hear his definitive explanation as to why his script doesn't match the music, as "side

one of Led Zeppelin IV" is 'Black Dog', not Kashmir, which is "side two, track three of Physical Graffiti". Damone could have just as easily held up an eight track and said

"put this in".

I thought it was strange too.

Maybe that was his point, in that those who knew the songs and albums well would pick up on it and those who didn't, t'would go over their heads.

Personally, I've always liked to "make out" to HOTH.

The song never appeared on the soundtrack album, or at least not on the Oz release.

A book by Cameron would make for interesting reading.

When he toured with Zep in the '70's there would have been many insights and juicy anecdotes that he never revealed in his magazine articles.

I'm not aware of anything being published, yet?

I thought it was strange too.

Maybe that was his point, in that those who knew the songs and albums well would pick up on it and those who didn't, t'would go over their heads.

Yes, like an inside joke on those who were cool (Damone) and who were not (Ratner).

Or it was simply artistic license to use dialouge that flowed better than actual truth.

No books in the works from Cameron Crowe concerning Led Zeppelin. He'd probably have to violate their trust or things said in confidence to do it and he won't.

I talked to Jimmy Page on their airplane, after a show one night, when he said, 'What the hell, Joe Walsh said I should trust you.' He posed for the cover holding an armful of black roses. That was his statement to Rolling Stone. The magazine chose a live shot in the end." - Cameron Crowe

Archived