Zep songs you "should" like, but don't?

dpat

As a Zep fan, what songs do you find that you do not care so much for?

Ones MOST others find "great," but you, "not so much ... sounds okay, but not great"?

For me, the songs I can think of that are :

Thank You -- cheesy lyrics, and the keyboards sound dated, maybe more suitable for 1967 before the hippie dream crashed 'n' burned. Maybe the one Zep song that doesn't pass the test of time ...

Since I've Been Loving You -- I'll probably get trashed the most for this one; I prefer "Tea For One." A great Plant scream in SIBLY, and Jimmy rips a great solo; but other than that, I find it a little "too generic" of a blues song.

Rain Song -- wish the interlude between the first & second verses was much, much shorter.

Custard Pie -- The solo is the highlight, but other than that, kinda boring.

Ten Years Gone -- Another one I'll get bashed for, but wish it was maybe two minutes shorter.

Fool In The Rain -- Great midsection percussion rave-up that begins right after the first whistle blow; otherwise, somewhat infantile lyrics and not much in dynamics sink the song.

I won't include "D'yer Mak'er" as it was meant to be humorous (but given that, it misses the mark, unlike "Hats Off to Harper," "The Crunge," and "Hot Dog" which all nail it).

You can put me in the "Don't Like 'Thank You'" column, too. It just sounds... hokey.

But I love the chord structure of 'The Rain Song'; it's one of my faves.

And 'Custard Pie'?? A classic! JPJ's crucnchy clavinet is just awesome.

Now here's the real sacrilege: I don't particularly care for 'Achilles' Last Stand.' There. I've said it. It goes on way too long, the mythical imagery in the lyrics is (to me) silly, and Percy's vocals are almost a self-parody. Just my two cents.

Dude, how do you not like the Rain Song man, the vocals in that song are nothing short of epic, the music just sounds so great, its especially the instruments, they are absolutley beautiful, its unlike any other Zeppelin song i've heard, it is without a doubt one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard!!! I dont really mind the long interludes between some of the verses. Absolutely incredible song!!!

As for your question!!! I dont know, I dont really have a song that I dislike that other people really like!!

Down by The Seaside....I can't stand it.

Neither can I stand Hot Dog nor Carouselambra.

Actually I just can't see why anyone "should" like them. :ph34r:

I don't like those songs either. I think what I find odd about this is why should people like EVERY song Led Zeppelin did? They weren't perfect, the idea that because we like Led Zeppelin therefore we must like every single solitary thing they did is perplexing.

Zeppelin songs I'm not very fond of:

You Shook Me - Robert's voice irritates me ( :bagoverhead: )

Darlene - I simply don't like it

Black Dog - I know. :blink: It's just my opinion. It depends on my mood.

Although I have never skipped any of this songs -if they're in my playlist- I still don't like them.

Dude, how do you not like the Rain Song man, the vocals in that song are nothing short of epic, the music just sounds so great, its especially the instruments, they are absolutley beautiful, its unlike any other Zeppelin song i've heard, it is without a doubt one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard!!! I dont really mind the long interludes between some of the verses. Absolutely incredible song!!!

As for your question!!! I dont know, I dont really have a song that I dislike that other people really like!!

Well that's the thing with questions like this - I happen to agree that the Rain Song is fantastic. But there's no right or wrong here. No one should or shouldn't like a song - doesn't make you any less a fan of a band if you admit you don't love everything.

Zeppelin songs I'm not very fond of:

Darlene - I simply don't like it

LOL! That's what makes the world go 'round! I love Darlene; I was always astounded that it never made any of the eight "regular" LZ albums and had to wait for Coda.

As a Zep fan, what songs do you find that you do not care so much for?

Ones MOST others find "great," but you, "not so much ... sounds okay, but not great"?

For me, the songs I can think of that are :

Thank You -- cheesy lyrics, and the keyboards sound dated, maybe more suitable for 1967 before the hippie dream crashed 'n' burned. Maybe the one Zep song that doesn't pass the test of time ...

Since I've Been Loving You -- I'll probably get trashed the most for this one; I prefer "Tea For One." A great Plant scream in SIBLY, and Jimmy rips a great solo; but other than that, I find it a little "too generic" of a blues song.

Rain Song -- wish the interlude between the first & second verses was much, much shorter.

Custard Pie -- The solo is the highlight, but other than that, kinda boring.

Ten Years Gone -- Another one I'll get bashed for, but wish it was maybe two minutes shorter.

Fool In The Rain -- Great midsection percussion rave-up that begins right after the first whistle blow; otherwise, somewhat infantile lyrics and not much in dynamics sink the song.

I won't include "D'yer Mak'er" as it was meant to be humorous (but given that, it misses the mark, unlike "Hats Off to Harper," "The Crunge," and "Hot Dog" which all nail it).

the only song thats not that great is thank you but besides that all these r great songs

Down by The Seaside....I can't stand it.

Neither can I stand Hot Dog nor Carouselambra.

Actually I just can't see why anyone "should" like them. :ph34r:

Hi 'brspled'

Please make an apointment with an "Ophthalmologist"

http://en.wikipedia....i/Ophthalmology

and then report back with his findings, my bet is that you will have to "see" one of these, "Opticians",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optician

or even a one of these "Lobotomist", you know it makes sense. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

Regards, Danny

Hi everyone! How's everyone doing today? What's the scoop? This is a very interesting thread! In my opinion, we all have the right and are all entitled to like or dislike whatever LED ZEPPELIN songs that we all so desire. This subject matter is not even worth getting into a debate about. There are far worse subject matters that require more attention than "Zep songs you should like but don't!" Please remember, we are all fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics as well as friends here on the forum that all share a love and passion for the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. Thats just how I feel! I consider all of you my friends here on the forum. ROCK ON FOREVER my friends!

Hi everyone! How's everyone doing today? What's the scoop? This is a very interesting thread! In my opinion, we all have the right and are all entitled to like or dislike whatever LED ZEPPELIN songs that we all so desire. This subject matter is not even worth getting into a debate about. There are far worse subject matters that require more attention than "Zep songs you should like but don't!" Please remember, we are all fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics as well as friends here on the forum that all share a love and passion for the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. Thats just how I feel! I consider all of you my friends here on the forum. ROCK ON FOREVER my friends!

Sorry Mate but i dont agree, there seems to be some that are not "FANATICS", they merely Show an Interest in Led Zeppelin, just look at some Avatars or Signatures, they tell there own story, and that is that Other Bands are Dearer to these Members than Led Zeppelin Are.

I have nothing against these People from other Bands Forums Posting on here, everyone is entitled to there Opinion, but "FANATICS" they aint.

I'm a "FANATIC", you know me better than most, you know what makes a "FANATIC", a "Single Minded Devotion" to a Cause, "LED ZEPPELIN" is mine, and yours ZFF.

So in Reply to the "Question"

Replying to Zep songs you "should" like, but don't?

My answer is "NONE"

I Dont "Turn a Track Off" because i'm tired of it or have Heard it too many times, as some do.

I Dont "Skip" a Track, because i'm tired of it or have Heard it too many times, as some do.

I Dont "Park My Van Up" while a Led Zeppelin Song is being Played, i always let the Track Finnish, to the annoyance of anyone who is with me.

I "Do" like every single piece of Music that Led Zeppelin have done.

I "Do" Play their Entire Collection of Songs at least once a Week, yes at least once a "Week".

Each to his own i say, but dont tell me your a "LED ZEPPELIN FANATIC" when you aint.

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, And as a "FANATIC" i am prone to telling "Little White Un-Truths" from time to time. :o:lol:

Hello All! :wave:

We are all entitled to our opinion. :D

Call me a NON WAVERING DIE HARD person who loves and respects the music of The Mighty Zeppelin. But I cannot think of ANY ballad from LZ that I do not musically love. I literally listen to them daily and have for almost 4 decades. If I am in a particular mood one song might make me think of something different than another day. I also do not forward past a song to get to another one. I appreciate the order that they put the songs on the (albums, CD's) and want to hear it that way...just my way.

I love a lot of music and admit that it is mostly classic rock as that is what I grew up with. But LZ to me is just absolutely musical genius. I can't imagine the rock/blues world without them. Who is going to give you a better guitar riff than Jimmy Page? Who can beat a set of drums like John Bonham? Who can play instruments to the depth that JPJ does.Roberts voice was another instrument and not to be imitated.

I respect everyone's opinion, but for me ALL of the MUSIC of Led Zeppelin, what some would consider a weaker song, to me is better than any other bands best song.

Hi Danny,

There is no doubt that you are a die-hard Led Zeppelin fanatic in the truest sense of the term.smile.gif You are my hero if you do truly love all of Led Zeppelin's songs.

I cannot tolerate listening to Carouselumbra and must pass it over when playing In Through The Out Door. It is too long and drawn out and boring. And I am not a big fan of Imigrant Song and skip it fairly often. And I don't really like the drum solo on Moby Dick, but I love the guitar and bass riff of that song.

Everyone has different tastes. Black Dog is in my top five favorite Zeppelin songs. I love the version on No Quarter particularly with the Didgeridoos. I love Down By The Seaside, Thank You, Ten Years Gone, and Rain Song, and these are some of my favorites, too. I like the slower songs alot. All of My Love and Stairway are my top two favorites.

So this is just a personal preference, everyone will be different.

Rock On!

Hi 'brspled'

Please make an apointment with an "Ophthalmologist"

http://en.wikipedia....i/Ophthalmology

and then report back with his findings, my bet is that you will have to "see" one of these, "Opticians",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optician

or even a one of these "Lobotomist", you know it makes sense. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

Regards, Danny

:huh::huh:

No need to post any wikipedia links, I know very well what a lobotomy is. As well as an ophthalmologist or an optician.

Liking ALL Led Zeppelin songs doesn't make you a better fan than me.

And I assure you I have more than an interest in Led Zeppelin, otherwise I'd not have traveled alone to London for the LZ O2 concert, all the way from Brazil, leaving husband and kids at home.

I don't have to proove to you I'm a fanatic, because, really I'm not.

I'm a fan.

B)

Hi Danny,

There is no doubt that you are a die-hard Led Zeppelin fanatic in the truest sense of the term.smile.gif You are my hero if you do truly love all of Led Zeppelin's songs.

I cannot tolerate listening to Carouselumbra and must pass it over when playing In Through The Out Door. It is too long and drawn out and boring. And I am not a big fan of Imigrant Song and skip it fairly often. And I don't really like the drum solo on Moby Dick, but I love the guitar and bass riff of that song.

Everyone has different tastes. Black Dog is in my top five favorite Zeppelin songs. I love the version on No Quarter particularly with the Didgeridoos. I love Down By The Seaside, Thank You, Ten Years Gone, and Rain Song, and these are some of my favorites, too. I like the slower songs alot. All of My Love and Stairway are my top two favorites.

So this is just a personal preference, everyone will be different.

Rock On!

Hi Doc,

I am not a "die-hard Led Zeppelin fanatic", just a "FANATIC" i dont want to die for Led Zeppelin or anybody else for that matter, not yet awhile anyway, and i would just Love to be your "Hero", what do i have to do? ;)

If you dont like the "Immigrant Song" let me PM you my up-dated Lyrical Version and see if it brings a smile on your face, or even Hysterical Laughter, "Does Anybody Remember Laughter"?

As i've said before, i dont have "Favourites" i "Takes em as they Come" so to speak.

When my Grandad first heard me playing "Moby Dick" from "The Song Remains The Same" he later asked me Who was the Drummer was and Who the band was, when i told him he asked me to play it again as he was so impressed by his playing, i didnt know this at the time by my Grandad could play the Drums. Afterwards he would tell his Pals down the Pub about this Group his Grandson (me) was in to, called, "Leo Zepp-a-leen", (from my wall painting of their name), and what a fantastic Drummer they had.:lol:

As you say, Everyone has different tastes, but i dont believe talking about Led Zeppelin in this negative way does anyone anygood, especially to a "FANATIC" but i can seen the need for it for our "Treacherous" "Heathern" Brothers and Sisters who really are showing how much of an "Infidel" they really are. :lol:

Now what were you saying about me being your "Hero"? :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Doc,

I am not a "die-hard Led Zeppelin fanatic", just a "FANATIC" i dont want to die for Led Zeppelin or anybody else for that matter, not yet awhile anyway, and i would just Love to be your "Hero", what do i have to do? wink.gif

If you dont like the "Immigrant Song" let me PM you my up-dated Lyrical Version and see if it brings a smile on your face, or even Hysterical Laughter, "Does Anybody Remember Laughter"?

As i've said before, i dont have "Favourites" i "Takes em as they Come" so to speak.

When my Grandad first heard me playing "Moby Dick" from "The Song Remains The Same" he later asked me Who was the Drummer was and Who the band was, when i told him he asked me to play it again as he was so impressed by his playing, i didnt know this at the time by my Grandad could play the Drums. Afterwards he would tell his Pals down the Pub about this Group his Grandson (me) was in to, called, "Leo Zepp-a-leen", (from my wall painting of their name), and what a fantastic Drummer they had.laugh.gif

As you say, Everyone has different tastes, but i dont believe talking about Led Zeppelin in this negative way does anyone anygood, especially to a "FANATIC" but i can seen the need for it for our "Treacherous" "Heathern" Brothers and Sisters who really are showing how much of an "Infidel" they really are. laugh.gif

Now what were you saying about me being your "Hero"? laugh.gif

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,

I would love to hear your version of Immigrant Song. Does it have dirty lyrics? laugh.gif

I may have to listen to it later when I am alone, just in case.

As far as "hero", isn't your avitar of a Templar Knight? Seems that the Templars were heros, weren't they? So why can't you be one, too. A Zeppelin fanatic hero, LOL. biggrin.gif

And I do love Bonzo's drumming, there's just a bit too much on Moby Dick, particularly the version in The Song Remains The Same video. And I know, this statement is blasphemy, but it is just my opinion, not a statement of fact. Most will disagree with me, and that's OK.

Edited to say: That's a funny story about your gandfather and Leo Zepp-a-leen. That dude could really drum, ole Leo.

Hi Danny,

I would love to hear your version of Immigrant Song. Does it have dirty lyrics? :lol:

I may have to listen to it later when I am alone, just in case.

As far as "hero", isn't your avitar of a Templar Knight? Seems that the Templars were heros, weren't they? So why can't you be one, too. A Zeppelin fanatic hero, LOL. biggrin.gif

And I do love Bonzo's drumming, there's just a bit too much on Moby Dick, particularly the version in The Song Remains The Same video. And I know, this statement is blasphemy, but it is just my opinion, not a statement of fact. Most will disagree with me, and that's OK.

Edited to say: That's a funny story about your gandfather and Leo Zepp-a-leen. That dude could really drum, ole Leo.

Hi Doc,

Its on its way, the Lyrics are as clean as Mud. :lol: The "Templars" are a Lesson from History, i'll tell you about them if you like? I would not like to be one as they were as fanatical as any Muslim that has ever lived.

I have just sent you my version of the Lyrics, i dont have any of my own music as yet, you could advise if you so wish, i look forward to hearing from you.

Yea my Old Grandad was a Right Character, you never knew when he was gonna completely throw you with the way he came out with things, i really miss him.

Very Kind Regards, Danny

I am not as fond of the STUDIO version of No Quarter, and The Battle of Evermore, as I am everything else :bagoverhead:

I feel exactly the same way about these two songs and I really can't stand "Fool in the Rain". I am obsessed with all other LZ songs, however.

Archived