Robert Plant & The Band of Joy To Tour USA

sam_webmaster

Thanks Avacado for the clarification. Makes sense now, but when I first read that quote, I had this image in my head that didn't quite jive. :huh: I guess I took it too literally. Some of the last people on earth that I would envision dropping acid would be the Andrew Sisters. :lol:

HEY, THEY STILL HAVE GREAT TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR THE HOUSTON SHOW!!!!!!!!!!! Check out eBay and ticketsnow.com

(Two are mine because I bought two tickets about 2 weeks after they went on sale and they were pretty decent tickets, but Mon. of this week I wanted to see if the show had sold out, went to ticketmaster and I saw that 2 really great tickets were available. Well, I was undecided as to whether to buy them or not. I certainly don't need 4 tickets! I got to the very end of the transaction where all I had to do was hit the buy button and was like "this is crazy! do I really want to do this! Hell, it's Robert f-ing Plant! but, I already have tickets, but these are on the 3rd row!" Well, I had 7 more minutes to decide before the transaction would be cancelled, so I decided to get up and go get a diet Coke. When I went to get up, my finger was still on the mouse and I clicked on "Buy"!!!!! Whoops! Well, now I have 2 too many tickets. They are listed on eBay and ticketsnow.com if any one is interested. ;) For well below what I paid for them, BTW! If anyone is interested PM me and we can work out the details.)

Dodge Theater Review Phoenix Arizona.

From azcentral.com

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/07/21/20100721robert-plant-phoenix-concert-review.html

I went to the show last night good time. Robert seemed very happy to be performing with his new band. My favorite new tune "Angel Dance" he really shined on that one. His opening act Bettye La Vette kicked butt!!

Dodge Theater Review Phoenix Arizona.

From azcentral.com

http://www.azcentral...ert-review.html

I went to the show last night good time. Robert seemed very happy to be performing with his new band. My favorite new tune "Angel Dance" he really shined on that one. His opening act Bettye La Vette kicked butt!!

Thanks for the review, kiss of fire!

Glad you had a great time!

I am very happy for Robert and the great reception that his tour is receiving. I'll have to wait until he comes back to the US to see him and his new band.

Thanks to everyone for your reviews and great photos!

Thanks for the review, kiss of fire!

Glad you had a great time!

I am very happy for Robert and the great reception that his tour is receiving. I'll have to wait until he comes back to the US to see him and his new band.

Thanks to everyone for your reviews and great photos!

You are very welcome BUCK"EYE DOC. Here is a couple of the encores posted by a member at another forum.

You are very welcome BUCK"EYE DOC. Here is a couple of the encores posted by a member at another forum.

Thanks again!

I liked that rockabilly version of "Rock And Roll"! Gives a unique sound to one of my favorite Zeppelin songs.

I also liked "Thank You". Seems to be somewhat similar to the Page/Plant "Unleaded" version.

No Comment.

This songs are his and most importantly they are rearranged and so he doesn't need to play them in the fashion that he would have to if he would play them in zep!!

And Gallows pole and Nobody's fault but mine are basicaly not zep songs and he plays them in their basic blues arrangement and In my time of dying is only part of a medley, so he basically play 4(rerranged!!!) Zep songs and 16 other songs!!

What is the problem???

Thanks for the article, but--

Sympathy for the Devil? Seriously?? :huh:

Ha ha Aqua someone made a oops on that one!!

Here are some videos way close of the Tucson show posted on another forum.

Don't know how long they will stay up so watch quickly! :D

This songs are his and most importantly they are rearranged and so he doesn't need to play them in the fashion that he would have to if he would play them in zep!!

And Gallows pole and Nobody's fault but mine are basicaly not zep songs and he plays them in their basic blues arrangement and In my time of dying is only part of a medley, so he basically play 4(rerranged!!!) Zep songs and 16 other songs!!

What is the problem???

No Comment!

What is the problem???

No problem, however while the songs you referenced are indeed older tunes that Zep rearranged, they were songs that Zep recorded. I am of the opinion that he plays so many Zep tunes to appease his audience. I would do the same if I were him, (I'm not insulting his choice of songs here btw). I just find it interesting that he plays so many Zep tunes when his solo career is longer than his tenure in Zep and as a result, he has a large body of work from which to pull... instead he chooses Zep songs. It makes sense from the perspective of getting people to come to his shows.

I just find it interesting that he plays so many Zep tunes when his solo career is longer than his tenure in Zep and as a result, he has a large body of work from which to pull... instead he chooses Zep songs. It makes sense from the perspective of getting people to come to his shows.

And it makes me wonder, how is the attendance at these shows? I've seen several posts mentioning plenty of seats available, pre-show, so how has it fared once the show is on?

Those of you that have attended, how about it ?

• Administrators

Robert Plant on his new band, Zeppelin and the Sportatorium

When Robert Plant was 17, he did a cover of the Rascals' bluesy "You Better Run" with a band called the Tennessee Teens. "If you blinked, you missed it," Plant said.

But more than 40 years later, Plant's affection for American music, and Tennessee, has only grown deeper. The former Led Zeppelin frontman's new outfit, the Band of Joy, includes co-conspirators picked up in his new stateside base of operations, Nashville. They include influential guitarist-producer Buddy Miller (Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris), singer Patty Griffin, multi-instrumentalist Darrell Scott (Steve Earle), drummer Marco Giovino and bassist Byron House (Dixie Chicks).

"People in England's eyes glaze over when I talk about the beautiful American music of the 1960s," Plant said recently by phone from London, where he was getting psyched up for his current 12-city tour of the American South, including a Saturday concert in Miami. "But this gets me back to my origins."

The band's eponymous 12-track Rounder Records album, due for release Sept. 13, includes the twangy ballad "Harm's Swift Way," one of the last songs ever written by Townes Van Zandt; the folk traditional "Cindy, I'll Marry You One Day;" and "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down," a spiritual covered by the likes of Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, Uncle Tupelo and Willie Nelson.

Of course, any new Plant release will be measured against "Raising Sand," the winner of multiple Grammys in 2009, recorded with bluegrass star Alison Krauss and producer T-Bone Burnett. Plant sounds up for the challenge.

"Band of Joy" was the name of a band you had in the 1960s with [then future Led Zeppelin drummer] John Bonham. Why resurrect the name?

Really, it's braggadocio. Once upon a time, I was a young man, and I found my musical leanings were more important than success.

The name is a return to a time when everything was free-form. I remember when I was with Bonzo; we were playing, and we knew it didn't really matter how it was received. All that mattered was that the music was inside your heart.

We were trying to get as far away from the popular music of that era, the Bobby Goldsboro sound, as we could. We just wanted to kick ass … The first Band of Joy was quite extreme, psychedelic … I'm thinking Grande Ball Room Detroit, the Blue Cheer. We would have been right at home alongside [Love guitarist] Arthur Lee.

This gets me back to the things that allowed me to be a singer, to end up with the New Yardbirds and then Led Zeppelin. If I hadn't been into this kind of extreme sound I never would have hooked up with Jimmy.

A lot of fans expected another Alison Krauss CD. What happened there?

It was just time to take a sabbatical from each other. When Alison and I decided to take a break, I found myself surrounded with these great musicians. And, I said, "I think I know where I'm going now."

In Nashville, there is this historical, encyclopedic knowledge of American musicianship that is lacking in the U.K. I was completely bowled over by this amazing, exciting group of musicians: Buddy Miller, Byron, Patty … With them, the obscurities that I've had in my head [since the first Band of Joy] are mainstream.

So, Nashville?

Nashville is a healthy and beautiful place to make music — as a concept, not necessarily a geographical area. Nashville is kind of a hub for great musicians. [The White Stripes'] Jack White has created this complete rock 'n' roll compound. You're there, and the Black Keys show up. And then, suddenly, you've got Kid Rock there.

How would you describe the new band and what people can expect at the show.

I think of the Led Zeppelin III era. There was a dynamic about the Zeppelin III period where we could go from reflective acoustic stuff to some heavy shit … "Hats off to Harper," "Gallows Pole" … I'm not interested in doing late-middle-age cabaret. I want it heavy and spooky. There should be some mystery, big and deep, that makes people's skin tingle. I want [band of Joy] to be as much Arcade Fire as Link Wray. There's gotta be a lot of dark shit going on. A lot of it is Buddy, who is absolutely incredible. He is playing in styles that he hasn't touched on in years. Each of us — me, Buddy, Patty — we came out of ourselves and met somewhere in the air.

You and Mick Jagger have taken different approaches to your rock-god status. He's pretty much doing what he's always done.

There has never been a time where you could say about me, "Oh, he does that, and that's what he does." It's been like that since I was 19. No one Zeppelin album followed the next in style. I don't want to get bored with my own gift.

The last few years with [Plant's band] the Strange Sensation, I was in the company of some real special musicians. When we were in Serbia or North Africa or West Africa or Mexico, I just kept absorbing all kinds of music.

That guy out of the Stones … It can be so dull, if you're not careful, if all you are doing is pulling things out of your bag of tricks. You reach in and out comes your juju; that's no good. You've got to keep mixing it up. This is a whole new period for me.

What are you listening to these days?

I'm absolutely ape shit over the new Black Keys. A few years ago, I told them, "You really need a bass player — like me!"

Paul Weller's got a new album that's pretty bold. Tom Waits is really, really good. I make time for his stories. Rocky Erickson [founder of the 13th Floor Elevators]. And Pink. She's got a great voice. And she does a great cover of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You." As a rock singer, she is really getting it down.

Any memories of playing South Florida?

Zeppelin was once banned for life in Florida. At Tampa Stadium [in 1977], we had 60,000 people, and it rained and rained and rained. And the show was suspended. The crowd got a bit anxious and, before we knew it, the authorities were moving in on all sides with some interesting crowd-control techniques. So we got banned. Apparently the crowd was our fault. The rain was our fault.

I also remember playing the [Hollywood] Sportatorium [in 1985]. It rained then too, even though it had a roof. It will probably rain when we get to Miami, but it don't matter. As long as I can put a little 13th Floor Elevators on, I'll be fine.

by Benjamin Crandell

http://weblogs.sun-s...new_band_z.html

Kiss of Fire - the videos are exceptional! Thank you so much. Robert looks beautiful and sounds incredible. Very Manic Nirvana with the hair blowing, so perfect! Great close-up videos! I can't WAIT to see him. Dying here.

The Dallas concert was AMAZING! I wasn't expecting there to be any Zep songs, but there were about 5. I was at the very back of the symphony hall, yet only about 40 feet away fromt he stage. The only thing I didn't like, is how you had to hear Robert sing to actually tell if it was a Zep song or not; it was country-fied. The opening act was 45 minutes to an hour long, and didn't particularly like the singer. I mean I guess it's good if you like that type of music, but, meh. But the actual Band of Joy had epic singers, and Robert hit a few higher notes perfectly. My favorite moment of the night is when he said, "I now it must be torture sitting through all these songs you never heard, but trust me, it all pays off." And then they play Houses of the Holy.

My favorite moment of the night is when he said, "I now it must be torture sitting through all these songs you never heard, but trust me, it all pays off." And then they play Houses of the Holy.

I missed that part! I was at the restroom talking on my cell. Houses of holy is one of my favorite songs.

Any one else go to the Houston/Woodlands show? What were your thoughts on this show?

I have to say, I was a little let down. It was very short, didn't play all the songs that others here have posted he did. Show only lasted about 1 hr. 20 min., including the encore. Not a lot of interaction with the audience and not enough Robert. I don't know, I left wanting.

You're kidding. It was one of his best shows ever--he came on just after 9 and they played till 10.50, and were absolutely on fire the whole night. It was ALL Robert, unlike the tour with Krauss--there were a couple of numbers on which he sang harmony, and that's it. Front and center the rest of the time, singing songs like Tangerine, fercrissakes! :) I was at Dallas the night before, and the audience at Houston were totally energized the entire time. Well, except some, obviously. :lol: Amazing how people can have such different perceptions.

Oh, and regarding the earlier point about the length of his solo career and his performance of Zep songs--perhaps that's why he performs a lot more NON-Zep songs at his shows? They're in the minority, by far, if you look at the set-lists.

Archived