Robert Plant & The Band of Joy To Tour USA

sam_webmaster

Hi justawoman!

Here is the link to the thread reagrding the interview. I know it's also posted on Jason's website:-)

http://forums.ledzep...mi/page__st__20

Hey Deb, how's it going?

I went to Jason's web site and found the interview, but it starts halfway through when Jason comes in. But, I did find Robert's actual quote from Lemon Squeezing's website:

Asked what music his band would be performing live, Plant revealed, "It'll be stuff from -- ride the wave through time. I'm gonna visit some of the Led Zeppelin stuff that I haven't touched before, and some that I have, and then I'm gonna be working on the stuff that I've done on this album."

After seeing the youtube video with Los Lobos, how could I forget "When the Levee Breaks"! I don't think LZ has ever done it in concert (correct me if I'm wrong) and if he would do that on this tour, I would think I died and went to heaven!!!!!!!!!! I swear I would loose my mind.

Also "Traveling Riverside Blues" would be awesome.

Hey Deb, how's it going?

I went to Jason's web site and found the interview, but it starts halfway through when Jason comes in. But, I did find Robert's actual quote from Lemon Squeezing's website:

Asked what music his band would be performing live, Plant revealed, "It'll be stuff from -- ride the wave through time. I'm gonna visit some of the Led Zeppelin stuff that I haven't touched before, and some that I have, and then I'm gonna be working on the stuff that I've done on this album."

After seeing the youtube video with Los Lobos, how could I forget "When the Levee Breaks"! I don't think LZ has ever done it in concert (correct me if I'm wrong) and if he would do that on this tour, I would think I died and went to heaven!!!!!!!!!! I swear I would loose my mind.

:-)

They did play WTLB live in 75 Brussels and Chicago and I believe one other time as LZ,...thinking..

Found this on youtube just now:

How cool!

Hello Led Zep Gurl!

Thank you for sharing this! Yes, very cool! So nice to see Robert here...I love Los Lobos and especially Los Lonely Boys, one of my favorite local bands.

I will share this with my youngest daughter who will be seeing Robert live for the first time this summer. My old LZ friend and I are feeling excited for her...she said, "I can't wait to see a pic of your beautiful daughter at the front of the stage." I need to remind my daughter to arrive early to get a place up front. :)

From reading the comments from the Taste of Chicago Los Lobos/Robert Plant youtube videos out there, it sounds like Robert and Los Lobos shot a video together.

See this link:

"Taste of Chicago 2010 Los Lobos LLB and Robert Plant

The ultimate encore to truly a great concert by Los Lonely Boys and Los Lobos.

Sorry about the shakey camera work, this is my very first video. Here's how it played out. During the Los Lobos set, they made mention of shooting a video earlier in the day with Robert Plant. LLB came out to play on La Bamba. ( just Henry and Ringo ) Next, Robert Plant takes the stage, and everybody went crazy."

Interesting.......

I wish he would add some more USA dates to his tour in the midwest!

:-)

They did play WTLB live in 75 Brussels and Chicago and I believe one other time as LZ,...thinking..

I'm thinking maybe he'll do something like:

I'm Gonna Crawl or Tea For One (slow smokey southern blues versions)

We'll see. :)

R B)

I don't know why, but my gut feeling is: given the musicians in his new band, the Band of Joy album being recorded in Nashville, and reports that the new album is more kicking than Raising Sand...

I just feel like Robert will try out either South Bound Saurez or Darlene for the first time ever this tour!

Hope to hear either in Phoenix in three weeks! :)

Here are a few Band of Joy-related excerpts from a recent interview with Patty Griffin in Paste magazine.

Complete interview here: http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...?variant=print

Paste: Are you also going to be part of a tour with Robert Plant’s Band of Joy?

Griffin: Yeah, Buddy [Miller, who produced the upcoming Band of Joy album] and I are doing three weeks in June of this tour and then we’re going to go home for ten days, and then start up rehearsals with Robert for July. ... I got asked by Buddy to come and sing. And Robert called me to come and sing. I was planning on doing a recording of my own. I have a studio that I rent with Doug Lancio. I had been planning on starting my next record anyway. I had all these songs sitting around and I needed to get started. And I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to sing with Robert. So I got myself to Nashville for a couple weeks—more like ten days—and I ran back and forth between studios. Just sang all day long and had a blast. He ended up using me on a little bit more than they were planning on. He’d already asked me about doing some back up singing. I’d heard, in the fall, about Telluride Bluegrass Festival with Robert Plant. I’m like, “Okay!” I didn’t know what I was doing. Now it’s turned into much more of an official thing.

Paste: In addition to singing back up for Robert Plant in Band of Joy, are you doing duets or solos or what?

Griffin: I don’t know what we’re doing, yet. It’s sort of his baby. I’ve never been in anyone else’s band before, so I’m not going to say boo. Because I don’t know what he’s going to do. It’s the first time I’ve been employed by anybody else since 1994 so I’m pretty excited about that.

Paste: It sounds like a superstar band.

Griffin: It’s going to be fun. They sound great. I got to work with Darryl [scott] a little bit in the studio. We did some singing together. Robert is just so good. The first time I saw him was standing side stage at the ACL Festival during the Alison [Krauss] run. I was just blown away—the power, his ability to command that many people. And he’s just such a great singer, to boot. A lot of those guys can do it, like Mick Jagger. There’s a lot of people that know how to do, you know, the cock walk. Robert Plant, I guess he can do that, too. But he’s a singer. He’s like a mother of a singer. It’s just really amazing.

Paste: And I guess the Buddy influence is going to add something to it. I think people are going to think of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss' Raising Sand. It was wonderful, but from what I’m hearing, we’re not going to see the same thing.

Griffin: I don’t how much I’m supposed to say about this record, because it’s not my record. But my impression of this record is that Buddy has helped Robert to sing his roots out. All of them. Put them all together. I guess he’s always been kind of doing that. He’s very folk music, roots music, blues-roots, folk-stuff oriented. Buddy’s kind of simplified it even more, I think, and made it even more direct and interesting. But it also rocks!

Paste: Which, I think, with Buddy and Robert, it would have to.

Griffin: Yeah, there’s some amazing guitar playing on the record.

Paste: I asked Buddy if it has some of the edge that was in his album Chalk and he says, “Oh, yeah!”

Griffin: Yeah, I think Robert wants to rock a bit. He’s not ready to retire. He’s really good at that.

Interesting interview, thanks for posting.

Wanted to find out more about Patty Griffin, so I went to her website and found this little interesting nugget about a yearly music festival cruise: http://www.pattygrif...amo-2011-cruise

. . . . .Patty is sailing on Cayamo 2011 and would like to extend a special invitation for you to join her. Cayamo is a floating musical festival, back for a full week of music and adventure. The past three years have been filled with amazing moments, jaw-dropping performances, and spontaneous collaborations. We're expecting many more memories and incredible moments in 2011! Journey with us to the gorgeous ports of San Juan, Tortola and St. Maarten during our 7-day cruise through the Eastern Caribbean on the fabulous Norwegian Pearl. We'll be sailing from Miami, Florida on February 13th – 20th, 2011.

The line-up for Cayamo 2011 begins with a few familiar Cayamo friends. Alongside the Patty are Steve Earle, Indigo Girls and Buddy Miller. And joining for the first time is the legendary John Prine. More artists will be announced as they are confirmed in the coming months. In addition to all of the wonderful musical performances, you'll be treated to unique onboard activities and workshops in the spirit of the event. The Norwegian Pearl's sparkling pools, tasty dining and luxurious spas will be sure to keep you entertained, relaxed and having the time of your life.

This caught my attention since she will be sailing with some pretty famous people, Buddy Miller being one, and is basically inviting visitors to her web site to pre-buy tickets. I wonder if Robert will be among some of the "artists confirmed in the coming months". I would so sign up for this, but my daughter is getting married Feb. 19th, so my money and time are already tied up. Just my luck. Anyway, thought I would pass on this info for anyone else out there who may be interested. You never know, you could end up on a ship on the high seas with Robert Plant! ;) How totally cool would that be?

That article about giving Robert a star on the sidewalk in Memphis in front of the Orpheum (sp?) Theatre reminded me of the time in 1973 in New Orleans when the band was asked to make imprints in the wet cement outside some bar they were visiting, when Robert opined (paraprasing here), "Do you think they want us to put our c#cks in, too? I'm not sure right now if mine would make much of an impression." :hysterical:

Saw a clip from last night of Plant & TBOJ doing Rock and Roll it was very rockabilly I hope that is not the direction he is going?

It appears it is the direction he's going in. I thought the clip sounded great. Be interested what people on here make of the shows when they go. It certainly seems more rocky than the Plant/Krauss stuff though.

Saw a clip from last night of Plant & TBOJ doing Rock and Roll it was very rockabilly I hope that is not the direction he is going?

May be for now but Robert seems to like to challenge himself and explore new directions so who knows what the future will bring. I happen to love what he's been doing and I respect his commitment to not rehashing the same old.

May be for now but Robert seems to like to challenge himself and explore new directions so who knows what the future will bring. I happen to love what he's been doing and I respect his commitment to not rehashing the same old.

Absolutely! :yesnod:

Does anyone know if he'll play any Zeppelin songs? i'm not a huge fan of Plant's solo stuff but i would go just to see him do two Zeppelin songs

Set List:

Down To The Sea, Angel Dance, Please Read The Letter, House Of Cards, Misty Mountain Hop, Monkey, Oh What A Beautiful City/Wader In The Water/In My Time OF Dying Medley, Rich Woman. Gone Gone Gone, All The Kings Horses, Nobodys Fault But Mine, Satan Your Kingdom Must Go, Central Two O Nine, Houses Of The Holy, Tall Cool One, Harms Swift Way, Gallows Pole.

Encores: Thank You, Rock And Roll.

Set List:

Down To The Sea, Angel Dance, Please Read The Letter, House Of Cards, Misty Mountain Hop, Monkey, Oh What A Beautiful City/Wader In The Water/In My Time OF Dying Medley, Rich Woman. Gone Gone Gone, All The Kings Horses, Nobodys Fault But Mine, Satan Your Kingdom Must Go, Central Two O Nine, Houses Of The Holy, Tall Cool One, Harms Swift Way, Gallows Pole.

Encores: Thank You, Rock And Roll.

GREAT SET LIST!

I would love to see him sing "Cindy, Cindy, I'll Marry You Someday".

I hope that he adds it at one of his concerts.

Maybe on his second tour of the US? (Hope, Hope!)

Did anyone go to the show on the 13th? Please tell us EVERYTHING that went down. Also, those going to tonight's show please -- dying to know how everything went. Are they selling shows out? Anything on YouTube yet?

Last time I checked, the Clearwater show that we are attending was sold out - only two more weeks until the show!!!! B)

Archived