Your Opinion of Rap

MMAharaja

I love rap and hip hop. Not the corny commercialized bullshit you hear on the radio but real hip hop. Groups like Blackalicious, Jurassic 5, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, and Atmosphere actually create music. For those that say it all sucks check these groups out and see if you like em.

Actually, most commersial music sucks, no matter if it's rap, soul, rock or pop. Checking the alternative and underground scene you can find great music, be it rap or rock.

Actually, most commersial music sucks, no matter if it's rap, soul, rock or pop. Checking the alternative and underground scene you can find great music, be it rap or rock.

Couldn't agree more!

I agree, but for most people that takes an ounce of effort which takes more positive energy than they're willing to expend. Most people on this site think that music should come to them, every new artist should sound like the best of other bands from 40 years ago, & if neither of those things are happening it's far easier to complain about how everything sucks rather than expanding their horizons. Yup, it's far better to dissect every bit of minutiae of a band that ceased to exist 30 tears ago than to actually search for music that happening now, good or bad.

I agree, but for most people that takes an ounce of effort which takes more positive energy than they're willing to expend. Most people on this site think that music should come to them, every new artist should sound like the best of other bands from 40 years ago, & if neither of those things are happening it's far easier to complain about how everything sucks rather than expanding their horizons. Yup, it's far better to dissect every bit of minutiae of a band that ceased to exist 30 tears ago than to actually search for music that happening now, good or bad.

LOL, let 'em have it, lazy bastards.

You sound like my son. We have many discussion regarding what you have said. I can't say I disagree, but I am trying to show him that there are the undergound bands, but he is stuck on his J-Rock, so whattya gonna do?

I'm trying to get him to appreciate the blues or at least some blues/rock, but nothing yet.

You sound like my son. We have many discussion regarding what you have said. I can't say I disagree, but I am trying to show him that there are the undergound bands, but he is stuck on his J-Rock, so whattya gonna do?

I'm trying to get him to appreciate the blues or at least some blues/rock, but nothing yet.

I believe if you play music that you think is great when you're home, he will get influenced by it either he likes it or not. :) I love the blues, that's partly because my dad played songs like The Little Red Rooster by The Stones, That's Alright Mama by Elvis and Shake Your Moneymaker by Fleetwood Mac. That, together with my interest in music, helped me appreciate the blues and look for the roots, such as Howlin' Wolf, Arthur Crudup and Elmore James and the likes.

"Regarding Johnny Rebel's song, well the song certainly exists, and whether it got airplay at the time doesn't really matter greatly, it's the fact that it exists & somone somewhere I'm sure was enjoying it at the time of it's release. That's just the society we live in, speaking as an American, now & then.

As far as not liking hip hop, that's fine just like anything else anyone may or may not like musically. It shouild be strictly about the music, I feel, & not about whatever other issues people may have."

I agree. I wasn't doubting that song existed I just never heard it. Radio stations in upstate New York would never have played something like that, way back then even.

"I'd also like to add:

A counter point to Johnny Rebel's song regards Chuck Berry's "Johhny B. Goode". It is perhaps the most famed rock 'n' roll song in the annals of it's genre. Chuck Berry had to change the song's main lyric so he could get airplay. The lyric in question was "Once there was a little colored boy named Johnny B Goode..." was changed to "Once there was a little country boy named Johnny B Goode". Now why would he have to change that lyric? The song was about Chuck's own life, an autobiographical song as a whole, it's not lyrically offensive anywhere to maybe a few except for that one lyric. American society/white owned radio & TV stations at that time would not chance such a lyric getting airplay because it was color specific in regards to a black man. Chuck changed the lyric to "country boy" because he was that too keeping with the autobiographical slant of the original lyric but at the same time it ate at him that he still had to make that compromise to gain airplay, and still does today from what I've recently read. So there's one extreme to the other. A great artist in the past getting censored over NOTHING, to lesser artists of today who get to speak offensively & get air play with no repucussions. God Bless America."

Chuck wasn't the only artist who's had to change or slightly alter lyrics over the past few decades. The Stones and Doors had to for television appearances......among others. It wasn't always just about racial references. 1950's America was a vastly different place than the current version is anyway, yes?

"Still there's the matter of the Stones "Brown Sugar". That song gets airplay several times a day, everyday, since 1971. I don't have a problem with the song, but maybe someone else does, & I could understand why. Now to project an arguement I can see coming here from someone at some point: "Well there's 9 more of those offensive rap songs on the radio today than for every song like "Brown Sugar"." Lol, I've heard that arguement before too. So the problem isn't that there are songs offensive to groups of people, the problem is that it should be evened out where everyone gets/feels equally degraded. Lol, a perfect utopian society of degradation where all offensive actions & comments are equal. I'm not going to go into further, just yet anyway, but if you recognize yourself in that view point there's very little I feel I can explain further to you."

Brown Sugar was (is) rock 'n roll sleaze at its' very best. Black kids I knew back then even grooved on the tune, and they knew what it was about. Nobody was offended by anything back then. Imagine? You could actually speak your mind or write a tune without such..........such...........sensitivity.

Brown Sugar was (is) rock 'n roll sleaze at its' very best. Black kids I knew back then even grooved on the tune, and they knew what it was about. Nobody was offended by anything back then. Imagine? You could actually speak your mind or write a tune without such..........such...........sensitivity.

Hi 'dazedcat'

"Brown Sugar" is about Slavery, Rape, Torture and Racism towards Black Women, but are its Lyrics as offencive as today's Gangster Rap Lyrics or is it the fact that today we have been made aware of the insensitive nature of those Lyrics? i don't know.

All i do know is that i cannot (not will not) appreciate this Music, whereas i can with other genres. My sons both Love Rap, and they Love the Music that i have indoctrinated them in as well, not only Rock but the Blues, English Folk, everything. I actually think the problem is with me and not with Rap, you should be able to appreciate everything in Music because, as Robert Plant once said, "Let the Music be you're master, will you heed the masters call" and i obviously don't, it is my narrow mindedness that is the problem not the Artists that produce the Music, i hope that makes some sense to you. :beer:

Regards, Danny

PS, My sons both agree that i am narrow minded by the way, and they have both been severely beaten and sent to bed with out their supper or their ipods. :o:buttsmack::lol:

I really don't know what to say. Honestly I don't. So the Stone were actively promoting the abuse of black women? They were agreeing with the historical backdrop of the song? I don't recall Mick singing the lyrical bit "she's black so she had it comin'"...............

I liked it a lot better when people just danced and enjoyed life. Really.

I really don't know what to say. Honestly I don't. So the Stone were actively promoting the abuse of black women? They were agreeing with the historical backdrop of the song? I don't recall Mick singing the lyrical bit "she's black so she had it comin'"...............

I liked it a lot better when people just danced and enjoyed life. Really.

There's no denying the content of the song. I could easily see an african american who knew nothing of the Stones & hearing that song & looking at it's lyrics for the first time being offended. I could see it, but then if they knew nothing of the Stones they would have no point of reference of what the Stones are about. Mick Jagger recently said who wouldn't write lyrics like that again simply because it would be so contorversial. Mick Jagger obviously doesn't support the abuse of black women & I'm sure people in general. The thing is it's hard to make sweeping generalizations about artists one knows very little about, as most of the anti rap people here have done, while not acknowledging the artists you do know about & love when they have their own things that are questionable that may offend others who know nothing about that artist or the climate it was made in.

However, I'm with you. It's better to dance & enjoy life. In fact I'm going to play "Sir Duke" right now...

Thought I'd share this nice quote.

There is a thing that has happened in music over the years that says, if you like rap music, and I like heavy metal music, we can't be friends, and to me, this is the exact opposite of what music is supposed to do. Music is supposed to bring us together, you know, you don't have to like the kind of music I like, to like music. You don't need my approval, you know, you need your own. Don't try to be cool, it's the most un-cool thing you can do. Cool is cool, when you try to be cool, you ain't cool. Dickie Peterson.

This is my opinion; I like stoner music. Music that was written in the 60's, 70's and 80's. That was the best time for music; people could actually play their instruments and the music has great sounds, tones, etc. I strongly dislike most modern music. Any alternative, country, etc. But rap and hip-hop are also similar to classic rock in the way the music is approached. To me, beats in rap and hip-hop suck you in just like a guitar solo or drum beat of some classic rock song but that's just my opinion..Most people in rap and hip-hop smoke just like the guys in the 60's, 70's and 80's (although there were narcotics in classic rock). I like music that has a common base; pot. The thing I do not like about rap and hip-hop is that its not original (well currently it isn't). The artists "sample" other songs and put it into theirs because they can't think of anything to write. So imo, classic rock and rap is stoner music. That's the kind of music I like, however, that being said, I do not like a lot of rap and hip-hop, but some of it I enjoy.

This is my opinion; I like stoner music. Music that was written in the 60's, 70's and 80's. That was the best time for music; people could actually play their instruments and the music has great sounds, tones, etc. I strongly dislike most modern music. Any alternative, country, etc. But rap and hip-hop are also similar to classic rock in the way the music is approached. To me, beats in rap and hip-hop suck you in just like a guitar solo or drum beat of some classic rock song but that's just my opinion..Most people in rap and hip-hop smoke just like the guys in the 60's, 70's and 80's (although there were narcotics in classic rock). I like music that has a common base; pot. The thing I do not like about rap and hip-hop is that its not original (well currently it isn't). The artists "sample" other songs and put it into theirs because they can't think of anything to write. So imo, classic rock and rap is stoner music. That's the kind of music I like, however, that being said, I do not like a lot of rap and hip-hop, but some of it I enjoy.

Trust me there is a whole lot of rock music that is being made today that I think is really good you might like it too.

Two examples

Excellent quote by Dickie Peterson!

I listened to Massive Attack's Mezzanine yesterday, fantastic album.

massive_attack_-_mezzanine-front.jpg

Great album. A perfect example of creative sampling, the same with Portishead's "Dummy". Classic trip-hop.

I'm not a fan of rap music in general but I appreciate old school rap and some older stuff too. Some of you have already mentioned this, I don't like this new rap at all but I think there are some good artists like Run-DMC, MC Hammer, I even like some 2Pac and Eminem stuff too. I appreciate that but I have nothing good to say about these so called newer rap and hip hop artists. That's not my type of music.

just like all genres of music there's good and bad. i was really into rap when i was a kid, with stuff like coolio, 2pac, dr. dre, beastie boys and puff daddy (yeah back in my day that's what he was called). I still love hearing old 90's gangsta rap - dre and snoop dogg. one type i really don't like is crunk - lil wayne, lil john, stuff like that. it's too overtly sexual. there's always sex in rap just like there is rock (look at led zeppelin - "i'm gonna give you every inch of my love","squeeze my lemon 'til the juice runs down my leg") but i don't like the way it's presented with crunk and the like. we're in the rap equivalent of what rock went through in the 80's with glam metal (my personal least favorite brand of rock, maybe next to pop-punk/emo stuff). but there's still some tasteful rap out there. I don't mind kanye west, jay-z, the roots, outkast and a few others. I don't listen to rap anywhere near as much as when I did when I was a kid though. just listen to these:

if you can't appreciate these...

Rap is not my kind of music at all. I really can't figure out what in the world the songs are about anyway. I feel its pretty much mass produced sh*t...I know its pretty much "out there" and "mainstream" but I'll never ever get what all the fuss is about! And I don't think that I am missing much at all by not being into that sort of thing! tongue.gif

• 1 year later...

I love rap and hip hop. Not the corny commercialized bullshit you hear on the radio but real hip hop. Groups like Blackalicious, Jurassic 5, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, and Atmosphere actually create music. For those that say it all sucks check these groups out and see if you like em.

A Lodge Brother of mine turned me on to Immortal Technique a few years ago, he's BRILLIANT!

Don't know if I have posted here yet, but, sometimes I sort of have to take a "break" from Rock. So I burned a cd entitled "Rap Crap". It has all of the songs I used to like throughout middle school & high school. And, I was quite partial for Crunk rap. Lil' Jon, Crime Mob, Dem Franchize Boyz. You know, the mainstream rap. It does still sort of sound good today. I definitely like songs with a good beat. But, I always have to pop in my Zeppelin.

Oh & I am a sucker for female rappers. I think they are better than the males.

I do like some rap music like the people from the west coast: Snoop Dogg or Ice Cube. When I'm working out or I want to dance, I usually listen to rap or upbeat pop music to get my energy up. No rap music does not make me think or inspire me, but music does not always have to do that for me to listen to it or enjoy it.

Archived