10 Led Zeppelin Songs that Deserve More Airplay

actually, Hey, Hey and Four Sticks gets airplay on WCSX/Detroit quite often.

The one I would love to hear more of is The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song or both together. Hots on For Nowhere or Royal Orleans too.

Also, i wished the producers of the TV series "Friends" would've approached Jimmy about using LZ's "Friends" as their theme song instead of "I'll Be There For You."

Would've been a hoot to see Lisa Kudrow dancing to "mmm, I'm telling you now." :D

actually, Hey, Hey and Four Sticks gets airplay on WCSX/Detroit quite often.

The one I would love to hear more of is The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song or both together. Hots on For Nowhere or Royal Orleans too.

Also, i wished the producers of the TV series "Friends" would've approached Jimmy about using LZ's "Friends" as their theme song instead of "I'll Be There For You."

Would've been a hoot to see Lisa Kudrow dancing to "mmm, I'm telling you now." biggrin.gif

Hey Hey What Can I do get's played on WRFX/Charlotte a ton as well. However, it's really interesting to note that out of all the Zeppelin songs I've heard on that station, I've only heard Dancing Days once, it's not a staple that's for sure.

Other Zeppelin songs that should get a lot more airplay than they do (at least on WRFX) are What Is And What Should Never Be and Bring It On Home. They'd be great in a classic rock playlist but for some reason don't get a whole lot of airtime.

danelectro in regards to your comment about the series "Friends" not using the Zeppelin song of the same name, I think it's because they wanted a song that was uptempo up-tempo and happy-sounding, which Friends the song is not.

Well, they did include "The Rover" ! :elvis2:

I would have substituted:

"We're Gonna Groove" from Coda for "Hey Hey What Can I Do"

"Hots On For Nowhere" for "The Crunge"

"Down By The Seaside" for "In The Light"

"I'm Gonna Crawl" for "Wearing And Tearing"

"Candy Store Rock" for "Out On The Tiles"

And, of course...... what also has much need for more radio airtime are the Live gems:

From TSRTS:

"SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU"

"THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME"

"OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY"

"NO QUARTER"

From HTWWW:

"IMMIGRANT SONG"

"DANCING DAYS"

"GOING TO CALIFORNIA"

"THAT'S THE WAY"

"BRON-YR-AUR-STOMP"

A think the song Houses Of The Holy would be a good song for people who are not big LED ZEPPELIN fans and would get a lot of request for replay. It kind of has a top 40 sound to it. As for my self I would love to hear The Rain Song and/or Down By The Sea Side more often.

Wow...with the exception of "That's The Way", "Wearing And Tearing" and "The Rover" I could do without the other seven, actually. YMMV, of course.

When it comes to "Classic Rock radio", I'm pretty sure I've heard every tune from the second and fourth LP's at least once. And always "Heartbreaker">"Living Loving Maid"! :P "Immigrant Song", "D'yer Maker". "Over The Hills." The Zep I "Dazed", of course. I think the only thing I've ever heard from PG is "Kashmir". I think I've heard "Achilles Last Stand" on the radio exactly once, years ago, and I was shocked. "Fool In The Rain" and "All My Love" from time to time.

Mind ya, these days I don't listen to a lot of radio, unless it's netstreamed. KZOK from Seattle is a good one, I suppose, even though for all their talk of "deep cuts" the above mentioned tunes are about the only Zep I hear from them. The usual suspects.

All those choices are spot on as far as regular radio playlists. However, the only reason I did hear some of those songs for the first time was because of the "Get The Led Out" shows on WNEW in NYC in the 80's. Carol Miller would always play at least one of the obscure songs during the set, if not making up the whole set of actual fan favorites. She even played the "Zurich 80'" bootleg when it came out in 88'. I can definately remember hearing "Hots On For Nowhere" & "Ozone Baby" for the first time on her show as well. Ah, nostalgia.

I would like to hear more of such songs as:

Four Sticks

The Rain Song

Ten Years Gone

No Quarter

Hey Hey What Can I Do

How Many More Times

Sick Again

Tangerine

Candy Store Rock

I'm Gonna Crawl

Well, any Zep song actually, but realistically that won't happen. Maybe it would in a perfect world. :D

In The Evening

Tea For One

I'm Gonna Crawl

Ten Years Gone

Since I've Been Loving You

When The Levee Breaks

I Can't Quit You Baby

That's The Way

Going To California

No Quarter

Believe it or not, Led Zeppelin did more than Whole Lotta Love, Stairway To Heaven, Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Kashmir, Fool In The Rain and All My Love.

One, I wasn't directing that at anyone on this board, so save your rolling eyes for another time. Two, it's not my fault that those songs get overplayed on the radio, often to the detriment of other songs that deserve as much, if not more airplay.

I agree. Out on the tiles is a very under rated song

Yeah, that one is great, and really fun to play. I'm perfecting it on the guitar now, and it never gets old.

To answer the question, I wish every song would get more airplay besides Stairway and D'yer Mak'er, which the local classic rock station is obsessed with. Otherwise, they play almost every Zeppelin song from their first six albums, including some live stuff. Achilles probably deserves it the most though, and I've only heard them play that song once. I guess it's too long.

I hear Four Sticks and Hey Hey What Can I Do on the radio sometimes, if I'm lucky...

vh1classic.com Had a list like this a few years back, it was called "Trampled Underfoot: Ten Lost Gems of Led Zeppelin" I believe. I've got the list saved on another computer. I'll post it sometime if I remember.

I just have to say, Night Flight is one of my all-time faves, and it gets NO attention...

Archived