World Cup 2010

toscano

It's ok - we only invented it. What comes around goes around wink.gif

And did I mention I hate at least 50 per cent of our current team? wink.gif

Swings and roundabouts mate xxx

That would be the Chinese nearly 2000 years ago!

Britain "re-invented" it in the 1800's when they introduced nets to the goal posts.

Bring on Germany tomorrow morning!

C'mon Ozzie and go you good things!

What's going on with the English Rugby team, benching Wilkinson in last nights test at Subiaco Stadium Perth?

Aus 27 def Eng 17.

I think it's good that USA's become decent in football but really it's not even being talked about that much in the US now. I listen to a lot of sports and news radio in the area. But the sport will just never be that popular here. The biggest thing being talked about in the US is the impending realignment in our college football(not the football the rest of the world likes)

I think it's good that USA's become decent in football but really it's not even being talked about that much in the US now. I listen to a lot of sports and news radio in the area. But the sport will just never be that popular here. The biggest thing being talked about in the US is the impending realignment in our college football(not the football the rest of the world likes)

That's OK - we're happy about that! :D;)

But I think it is inevitable that the US will one day become a major force in football - just because of the sheer size of your country.

That's kinda like saying China will or India will be major forces. That hasn't really happened. Those 2 countries have 3-5 times the population of the US. The US just has other sports it likes over football. The best athletes in America play american football and basketball. That probably takes up 90% of the top athletes.

That's kinda like saying China will or India will be major forces. That hasn't really happened. Those 2 countries have 3-5 times the population of the US. The US just has other sports it likes over football. The best athletes in America play american football and basketball. That probably takes up 90% of the top athletes.

I stand by what I said (which wasn't an insult, by the way). The interest in the sport is growing over there all the time.

The worst thing about the result is that after we scored, and in anticipation of a deluge of goals, I began to plan a post for this forum, along the lines of:

"Paul Revere, Mickey Mouse, George Washington, Spongebob Squarepants, General Custer, Union Carbide, Patton, Donny Osmond, Charles Manson, Eisenhower, Archie Bunker, Madeleine Albright, OJ Simpson, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman, Ed Gein, Henry Kissinger, Hunter S Thompson, Puff Diddly Squat, Dan Quayle, Muhammed Ali, Monika Lewinsky, The Phelps Family: YOUR BOYS TOOK A HELL OF A BEATING!"

Still, it seemed a shame to waste it...

That would be the Chinese nearly 2000 years ago!

Britain "re-invented" it in the 1800's when they introduced nets to the goal posts.

England 'invented' the game we call Association Football...the rules and regulations, pitch sizes, player numbers etc etc.

judging from the last 44 years, it hasn't been your sport either :D

LOL, well if you don't count English clubs winning 11 European Cups/Champions Leagues, 6 Uefa Cups and 8 European Cup Winners Cups.

Club football is the bread and butter of the game and English clubs have been right up there at the very top level for the last 40 odd years.

LOL, well if you don't count English clubs winning 11 European Cups/Champions Leagues, 6 Uefa Cups and 8 European Cup Winners Cups.

Club football is the bread and butter of the game and English clubs have been right up there at the very top level for the last 40 odd years.

okay.

then i could ask how many of those players are English and on and on, etc., etc.

the point is that England has had some of the best players in the world, yet has only one World Cup to show for it. Of course, that's one more than the US has, right? My point is that this match was supposed to be an ass whipping affair and it didn't happen. I'm pleased with it, but like Knebby says, it's just begun. We'll see where it goes from here. Judging from the Algeria/Slovenia match, I would be shocked if the US and England don't make it to the next round.

Here in the US, I've always heard soccer referred to as a "Commie Sport" anyway.

Anyone for a good ole game of Kick the Can?

Oh wait that was in my youth, since the 80s it's now called Kick the Commie. :rolleyes:

I'm just happy to quote this from now 'till kingdom come.

Don't come back to me later in this tournament trying to claim it matters to you as much as us.

We know.

I don't think anyone over here would argue with you. It doesn't matter as much to the average American (or Canadian). Just wait until the US becomes more competitive in the next decade. Imagine how frustrating it would be to see a team hoist the World Cup for a country that is pretty much indifferent about the sport. Or if that is a long shot, even for them to just knock out your team.

It is like Olympic hockey. Canadians go nuts for it, but the average American (outside of the big NHL cities) could probably care less. Still the US has one of the best teams in the world. There is nothing more frustrating than losing to the US at OUR game - it is almost easier to swallow a loss to European rivals. At least they care as much as we do. I can say for sure that if Canada's goalie let in a weak one against the US in hockey and we ended up in a tie with the US in the first round, the country would be freaking out. We all know its just a game, but at the same time, it is not just a game.

The above having been said, although most born and bred Canadians don't care for soccer, one neat thing in Toronto is that, we are fortunate to have large populations of immigrants from all over the world. After almost every game there is some form of parade down the street from the expats of the winning side - honking horns, chanting etc. Kind of gets us into the spirit. I spent the finals last world cup in Toronto's "Little Italy" district with thousands of Italian Canadians pressed up against storefront/restaurant windows anywhere there was a TV. The streets were packed. After Italy won it was a crazy celebration.

okay.

then i could ask how many of those players are English and on and on, etc., etc.

There are few of the major leagues which aren't overun by foreign players. Inter Milan won the European Champions League this season. They didn't have a single Italian player in their starting eleven....yet they are still an Italian club representing Italian football as far as everyone is concerned.

the point is that England has had some of the best players in the world, yet has only one World Cup to show for it.

More than the Dutch yet Holland are considered one of the world's great national sides. Argentina only have one more World Cup than England. Spain have never won the World Cup and France only has one.

My point is that this match was supposed to be an ass whipping affair and it didn't happen.

No serious fans of football ever thought that would be the case. There are few 'ass whippings' in the World Cup these days. Everyone who knows football are aware than the USA team are no mugs.

I'm pleased with it, but like Knebby says, it's just begun. We'll see where it goes from here. Judging from the Algeria/Slovenia match, I would be shocked if the US and England don't make it to the next round.

Me too so that 1-1 draw could be the best possible result for both teams to progress. Here's hoping and good luck. :)

That's OK - we're happy about that! biggrin.gifwink.gif

But I think it is inevitable that the US will one day become a major force in football - just because of the sheer size of your country.

Agreed and it doesn't have to be the #1 professional sport in North America either . The Americans have come on leaps and bounds in the last 20yrs and the standard of play in the MLS is pretty damn good. Not the Premiership by any means but I would argue that it is at least as good as some of the smaller European leagues. Unlike Canada , they have put the money into the right places and are developing their game in the proper fashion.

Judging from the Algeria/Slovenia match, I would be shocked if the US and England don't make it to the next round.

I for one will not be shocked if England don't make it. We were hopelessly inept against a bunch of 3rd-rate players last night, so why should we fare any better against Algeria & Slovenia?

Capello has shown himself to be tactically inept and insists on playing players out of their best positions. Where was Joe Cole last night :wtf:, and what is that headless chicken Wright-Phillips even doing in the squad?

Worst of all, despite claiming that he wouldn't consider taking anyone who wasn't fully fit, he then proceeded to select two key central defenders who, had they been horses, would have been sent to the knacker's yard years ago.

Here in the US, I've always heard soccer referred to as a "Commie Sport" anyway.

Really? But it's an English game so how can it be 'commie'? England v Germany is one of the great matchups in world football. Hardly bastions of communism. One fought the bloodiest war in history against communism while the other was a leading player in the Cold War against communism. :o

Take a left at Eye-Rack. Although that probably won't be much help to you... biggrin.gif

Uh, they do....? blink.gif

Go to the World Cup site. It is not in English. Speaking of which, yesterday's tie, the New York Post said it was the greatest tie since the battle of Bunker Hill. To me it was a disgrace to see that goalie let that in. they are giving it to the old boy good I hear in the British tabloids.

Archived