Al Murray apologises to Brian May

zeppphead

al-murray2.jpg

Al Murray has written to apologise to Brian May

Al Murray has apologised to Brian May after appearing on BBC show I'm In a Rock n Roll Band declaring Led Zeppelin were the world's greatest rock group.

Led Zeppelin went on to beat Queen in the TV poll and the 42-year-old comedian - known for his alter ego The Pub Landlord - has written a grovelling letter to Brian insisting he is really a Queen fan.

In the letter, published on Brian's website, Al writes: "The thing is the way it worked is we got allotted our options, and bizarrely I ended up with Zeppelin (that's telly for you)."

He went on: "I do of course love Queen - as does The Pub Landlord - and anything I may have said was in fond jest.

"I am really sorry for any upset. I was amazed actually that Queen didn't win given how passionate and mobilised the fans are. The truth is you have only ever been fabulously generous and sporting with the whole Pub Landlord thing."

Brian wrote on his website: "I told [Al] about the deluge of angry letters I'd received about the TV programme on Being a Rock Star .. or whatever!! He's a very nice chap, and he's told me it's OK to quote him. I hope this will dispel any feelings of animosity anyone might be harbouring about Al."

Copyright © 2010 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

I guess if I was to look at this as a Queen fan, a large part of Murray's act as the Pub Landlord is based around his "love" of Queen. So maybe it was a shock to Queen fans when he supported Zeppelin - and it does seem to be the fans May is trying to "soothe".

Bit dubious about Murray's claim of being told who to support though!

Led Zeppelin was, is, and always will be about their MUSIC, that's the difference between ROCK and POP, and that's the difference between Led Zeppelin and Queen, one is about Progressing A Serious Musical Art Form the other is about Appeasing Fans and being Popular in Modern Music, you decide who's who. ;)

Regards, Danny

PS, As Robert once said, "Its all about the Music, its not about the Fans" and i for one totally agree with him. :yesnod:

PPS, "Poll's" are "Opinions" and mean nothing to a Serious Music Fan(atic). :)

Led Zeppelin was, is, and always will be about their MUSIC, that's the difference between ROCK and POP, and that's the difference between Led Zeppelin and Queen, one is about Progressing A Serious Musical Art Form the other is about Appeasing Fans and being Popular in Modern Music, you decide who's who. wink.gif

Regards, Danny

PS, As Robert once said, "Its all about the Music, its not about the Fans" and i for one totally agree with him. yesnod.gif

PPS, "Poll's" are "Opinions" and mean nothing to a Serious Music Fan(atic). smile.gif

I for one totally agree Danny. With all do respect to Queen, not even close ! Yes, for anyone who is wondering, I have seen both bands live smile.gif

Queen were a magnificent band for their first four albums, and arguably more original than LZ.

But Brian & Roger have done themselves & Queen's legacy no favours at all over the past few years by dragging Freddie's corpse around with the preposterous QPR. What a joke, and how very undignified.

I think your choice of phrase ^ is what's undignified here. Queen with Paul Rodgers wasn't my kind of thing, but no-one knew Freddie better than Roger and Brian and what they choose to do with the legacy of the band is their right. As with anything - don't like it, ignore it.

""In the letter, published on Brian's website, Al writes: "The thing is the way it worked is we got allotted our options, and bizarrely I ended up with Zeppelin (that's telly for you).""

Good ol' Al, trying damage control. The way he screamed with delight when both Bonzo and Zeppelin won their categories said it all. A victory for 'rock and roll' as far as he was concerned. Of course he has to backtrack a bit now to save some face. He was all for Zeppelin though. Absolutely no way to hide that.:D

I'm a huge Queen fan but they are not as popular as Zeppelin. Not even close.

In England Queen are shoved down our throats whether we like them or not. Pretty much the same as The Beatles are. Queen are a perfect example of nice safe tra la la pop rock music that offends nobody, hence why they are played to death here.

They certainly aren't the epitome of a 'rock and roll band' (I see them more as a pantomime musical) and that's why they didn't win the poll.

In England Queen are shoved down our throats whether we like them or not. Pretty much the same as The Beatles are. Queen are a perfect example of nice safe tra la la pop rock music that offends nobody, hence why they are played to death here.

They certainly aren't the epitome of a 'rock and roll band' (I see them more as a pantomime musical) and that's why they didn't win the poll.

hit the nail on the head there, both queen and the beatles music were spoon fed to us in the late 70s and 80's. i have friends of mine who never heard of a single led zeepelin song, purely because they were not played on the radio and didnt release singles at all. queen were shit lets face it, a nice mixture of euro pop and theatrical rock, with a sprinkling of zep influence.

as a previous post mentioned, murray is obviously a huge zep fan, and couldn't hide his happiness when zep were voted no# 1, and righlty so..

I think your choice of phrase ^ is what's undignified here. Queen with Paul Rodgers wasn't my kind of thing, but no-one knew Freddie better than Roger and Brian and what they choose to do with the legacy of the band is their right. As with anything - don't like it, ignore it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm not in the UK so I don't know the extent of how Queen were covered in the media but they were/are a hugely popular band amongst people - I don't think that was based on the media coverage. Same with the Beatles. The media fed off their huge success, not the other way around. I don't know what the epitome of a rock and roll band is - I think that'd be different for everyone who may have an ideal band but I'd hardly say Queen were playing safe pop music - integrating operatic styles for example is hardly safe.

I'm not in the UK so I don't know the extent of how Queen were covered in the media but they were/are a hugely popular band amongst people - I don't think that was based on the media coverage. Same with the Beatles. The media fed off their huge success, not the other way around.

I disagree. The media can and do help to elevate bands and shove them down our throats. A band can become far more popular than they otherwise would be if the media takes up their case. I didn't say their success was soley due to the media but for sure Queen continue to benefit from it. I'll add this. Led Zeppelin would be even more popular than they already are if more people knew about them.

I don't know what the epitome of a rock and roll band is

I do. Led Zeppelin. The ultimate. Of all time. It certainly isn't Queen, that's for sure.

I think that'd be different for everyone who may have an ideal band

Well I wasn't just talking about 'bands'. I was talking 'rock and roll'. I love Madness. Love 'em to bits. They aren't a 'rock and roll' band though.

but I'd hardly say Queen were playing safe pop music

Pop rock I called it. Mostly inoffensive/jolly/happy/fun radio friendly stuff for the most part. It's hardly Since I've Been Loving You or Ten Years Gone. Admittedly I haven't heard every single Queen song ever written but then I know what made them popular and I know what is shoved down people's throats.

Whole Lotta Love scares some people. That's the difference between LZ and Queen.

integrating operatic styles for example is hardly safe.

It was integrated into a pop rock fun friendly style. It wasn't exactly Pavarotti.

If you would have watched the show I think you would have disagreed with much of what was said on this topic. I thought Mark Radcliffe summed it up perfectly. The poll and the series wasn't about the best pop band. It was about the best rock and roll band. That's why Led Zep (thank cripes for the sake of sanity and reason)came ahead of the Beatles and Queen. And personally I would have had The Stones and The Who in the top 3 alongside Zep. I don't even know how the Beatles qualified seeing as they didn't even tour for the second half of their existance. Not bothering to play live is hardly 'rock and roll'. What did Planty once say? "There's only one way a band can function.....and that's on the bloody stage". :)

I disagree. The media can and do help to elevate bands and shove them down our throats. A band can become far more popular than they otherwise would be if the media takes up their case. I didn't say their success was soley due to the media but for sure Queen continue to benefit from it. I'll add this. Led Zeppelin would be even more popular than they already are if more people knew about them.

I do. Led Zeppelin. The ultimate. Of all time. It certainly isn't Queen, that's for sure.

Well I wasn't just talking about 'bands'. I was talking 'rock and roll'. I love Madness. Love 'em to bits. They aren't a 'rock and roll' band though.

Pop rock I called it. Mostly inoffensive/jolly/happy/fun radio friendly stuff for the most part. It's hardly Since I've Been Loving You or Ten Years Gone. Admittedly I haven't heard every single Queen song ever written but then I know what made them popular and I know what is shoved down people's throats.

Whole Lotta Love scares some people. That's the difference between LZ and Queen.

It was integrated into a pop rock fun friendly style. It wasn't exactly Pavarotti.

If you would have watched the show I think you would have disagreed with much of what was said on this topic. I thought Mark Radcliffe summed it up perfectly. The poll and the series wasn't about the best pop band. It was about the best rock and roll band. That's why Led Zep (thank cripes for the sake of sanity and reason)came ahead of the Beatles and Queen. And personally I would have had The Stones and The Who in the top 3 alongside Zep. I don't even know how the Beatles qualified seeing as they didn't even tour for the second half of their existance. Not bothering to play live is hardly 'rock and roll'. What did Planty once say? "There's only one way a band can function.....and that's on the bloody stage". :)

The purpose of the media for musicians IS to hype them up and promote them. But bands who made it soley on hype factor usually don't last too long. Queen were recording and touring a long time and had they not lost Freddie, who knows how much more we'd have gotten from them. The media may have doted on them but it was the fans who drove their sales, both album and tours.

I didn't say I thought Queen were the ultimate rock band - people are going to have many different answers and none of them are right or wrong. It's subjective.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think of Queen as pop rock at all. It isn't SIBLY or Ten Years Gone but they weren't trying to be. They were interested in exploring other styles of music. Maybe you should try listening to some of the stuff not played on the radio before completely writing them off as bad pop or whatever it is you think of them.

What is your point in saying WWL scares people and Queen doesn't? That makes Zep a better band?

Admittedly I haven't heard every single Queen song ever written but then I know what made them popular and I know what is shoved down people's throats.

And that's where we're going wrong here. If that's all you know, I'm afraid you don't know Queen - they were SO much more than that and SO much more than what you have been summing them up as.

With respect - it's like someone trying to lecture me on Led Zeppelin on the basis that they've heard Whole Lotta Love and Stairway To Heaven.

To be fair Wolfman, maybe not in the US but they are in the UK - which is where this TV vote was based - also elsewhere like in South America and Japan as pals on here will attest.

I attest that. :yesnod:

Archived