Jimmy Page to Release New Material this Year

The Pagemeister

Stick a microphone in front of Jimmy these days and he's talking about his new project and even going so far as to say he wants to release it this year. I understand your feelings but you're a bigger cynic than me if you think he's just blowing smoke for the sake of ...what?

I have to think he went to the trouble of securing new management for a reason too, and it's probably not just to promote a book.

I'd like nothing more than to see him back on stage again but he's done this before - this mysterious project he has to get out of his system. Hard for me to get too excited at this point until there's something more concrete.

I'm sure Page is deeply concerned he's not exciting his deriders. Since Jimmy is a master composer, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume he's writing his own material and not playing someone else's shit. I never count the guy out.

I'd like nothing more than to see him back on stage again but he's done this before - this mysterious project he has to get out of his system. Hard for me to get too excited at this point until there's something more concrete.

To be honest he really HASN'T done this before, not recently. In 2004 there was a throwaway quote towards the end of an interview. There was talk around 2006/2007, then the O2 came up, and Jimmy obviously wanted to proceed with Zeppelin and eventually came to the conclusion that wasn't happening.

He has been talking up this project in a pretty specific and straightforward way since the end of last year. Last week he said he'd begin recording "very soon" and wanted to release it "this year". He never spoke like that at any other point since his back injury in 2000. Why he'd be so straightforward about a project he has no plans on completing is beyond me but I guess I'm a "glass half full" guy...

Personally, I'm just happy Jimmy Page is alive, and I expect absolutely nothing from him.

The slew of sarcastic and cynical remarks about Page have really turned me off and as a result I've been visiting this Forum alot less often.

Personally, I'm just happy Jimmy Page is alive, and I expect absolutely nothing from him.

The slew of sarcastic and cynical remarks about Page have really turned me off and as a result I've been visiting this Forum alot less often.

Possibly those people are being "sarcastic and cynical" because they too expect nothing from him? ;)

It should go without saying that everybody here would love to see Jimmy out there again--being less than convinced that it's going to happen, based on unfulfilled promises in the past, doesn't imply criticism of the man, but rather reluctance to hope too much for music we may not get to hear.

(But--you want cynical, here's cynical. Maybe he's talking up the project to keep the idea on the front burner that he's actively engaged in making music rather than posing with guitars, despite the fact that we're still waiting for the evidence of it . . ? I keep hearing how active he is, but I haven't been adding anything new by JP to my iPod lately, and I'd dearly love to.)

Possibly those people are being "sarcastic and cynical" because they too expect nothing from him? ;)

It should go without saying that everybody here would love to see Jimmy out there again--being less than convinced that it's going to happen, based on unfulfilled promises in the past, doesn't imply criticism of the man, but rather reluctance to hope too much for music we may not get to hear.

(But--you want cynical, here's cynical. Maybe he's talking up the project to keep the idea on the front burner that he's actively engaged in making music rather than posing with guitars, despite the fact that we're still waiting for the evidence of it . . ? I keep hearing how active he is, but I haven't been adding anything new by JP to my iPod lately, and I'd dearly love to.)

What a bunch of crap. Jimmy Page doesn't owe you or your iPod anything. But that was a wonderful defence of all the cynical comments being made, of which you just nominated yourself the leader of.

What a bunch of crap. Jimmy Page doesn't owe you or your iPod anything. But that was a wonderful defence of all the cynical comments being made, of which you just nominated yourself the leader of.

You know how I know you don't know Helen very well?

I'm sure Page is deeply concerned he's not exciting his deriders. Since Jimmy is a master composer, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume he's writing his own material and not playing someone else's shit. I never count the guy out.

I'm not "deriding" him - never have, never will, the bloke is my hero.

How many promises has Jimmy made in the last 10 years? And people are not allowed to have their doubt?

Yeah I'm waiting, too, just not holding my breath. It won't be too late for me to jump into the air when the album comes out.

Sorry guys, I'm a guitar player & im well educated on The topic. Jimmy Page will always produce better Riffs & sense of melody than Buddy Miller, Joe Bonamassa, and the foo fighter guy. Just the way it is.

I'm not a guitar player and haven't heard the album yet so I can't predict what it will sound like (good or bad). I'm hoping for the former but considering it's still in the rumor stage I'm not putting the cart before the horse.

I'm not a guitar player and haven't heard the album yet so I can't predict what it will sound like (good or bad). I'm hoping for the former but considering it's still in the rumor stage I'm not putting the cart before the horse.

Yes well, the musician side of things is a bit harder to understand I suppose. Well I would hope no one is putting the cart before the horse on this, Its just, we have a thread about it so everyone is stating what they think about it.

Sorry guys, I'm a guitar player & im well educated on The topic. Jimmy Page will always produce better Riffs & sense of melody than Buddy Miller, Joe Bonamassa, and the foo fighter guy. Just the way it is.

I don't think being a musician means you're better qualified to make a statement. It's subjective. Comparing Buddy Miller to Jimmy Page is like comparing apples to chocolate. Two completely different styles of playing. Preferring one to the other is fine but saying one's better, I don't know if I'd view it that way. And mind you I think Jimmy is an amazing player, always have.

So how do you explain all the educated musicians who DON'T think this is "just the way it is"? :huh: I don't think there's a natural law, like gravity, that says Page is inherently the best guitarist, and apples will always fall downward, even though I've thought he's an amazing musician since the mid-60s.

I guess if it really happens I am wondering if some will be pure instrumentals? If he does work with big name vocalists, any guess's as to who may be involved? Now I just have to think Robert Plant would be in on at least one. Can't imagine him not coming through for Jimmy. Maybe Jagger? Daltrey? I would be happy to just hear some instrumental work, perhaps something along the line of another Black Mountain Side or Bronyaur?

Left to his own devices, JP will procrastinate & prevaricate & end up producing nothing. What's he done on his own since 1980? Deathwish 2 & Outrider. That's two albums in 30 years, the most recent of which was 22 years ago.

22 YEARS!!! Yes folks, TWENTY TWO YEARS. That's even longer than it took Axl to toss off Chinese Democracy.

Whatever JP comes up with, and whenever it might appear, I have just one request: please, please, PLEASE Jimmy, DON'T let it feature ANY collaboration with that Zelig-esque lunkhead chancer from the Foo Fighters. That's all I ask.

Left to his own devices, JP will procrastinate & prevaricate & end up producing nothing. What's he done on his own since 1980? Deathwish 2 & Outrider. That's two albums in 30 years, the most recent of which was 22 years ago.

22 YEARS!!! Yes folks, TWENTY TWO YEARS. That's even longer than it took Axl to toss off Chinese Democracy.

Whatever JP comes up with, and whenever it might appear, I have just one request: please, please, PLEASE Jimmy, DON'T let it feature ANY collaboration with that Zelig-esque lunkhead chancer from the Foo Fighters. That's all I ask.

I agree with the underlying point being made here, but to be fair you've dismissed two albums made in three years with The Firm, the Coverdale/Page studio album and the Page/Black Crowes live album. Throw in various Led Zeppelin related projects (the boxed sets, dvd, etc) and there is a body of work over the last 22 years. Who cares, it has nothing to do with 2010 or manifesting new music. Anyway, again, I'm not holding my breath.

I agree with the underlying point being made here, but to be fair you've dismissed two albums made in three years with The Firm, the Coverdale/Page studio album and the Page/Black Crowes live album. Throw in various Led Zeppelin related projects (the boxed sets, dvd, etc) and there is a body of work over the last 22 years. Who cares, it has nothing to do with 2010 or manifesting new music. Anyway, again, I'm not holding my breath.

... as well as the 2 Page & Plant albums/tours.

We'll see... :)

R B)

I agree with the underlying point being made here, but to be fair you've dismissed two albums made in three years with The Firm, the Coverdale/Page studio album and the Page/Black Crowes live album. Throw in various Led Zeppelin related projects (the boxed sets, dvd, etc) and there is a body of work over the last 22 years.

I'm not dismissing anything, Steve. I was confining myself to projects under his own flag & steam. I'm not questioning JP's ability to collaborate or to apply himself to revitalising LZ's legacy, but it just seems that he's not so hot at developing pure solo projects.

Whether that's down to a lack of motivation or confidence remains to be seen, but as others have said, the man has nothing left to prove, and owes us nothing. If his output had ceased totally in 1980, his body of work to that point would still massively outstrip that of any other exponent of the genre, before or since.

I'm not dismissing anything, Steve. I was confining myself to projects under his own flag & steam. I'm not questioning JP's ability to collaborate or to apply himself to revitalising LZ's legacy, but it just seems that he's not so hot at developing pure solo projects.

Whether that's down to a lack of motivation or confidence remains to be seen, but as others have said, the man has nothing left to prove, and owes us nothing. If his output had ceased totally in 1980, his body of work to that point would still massively outstrip that of any other exponent of the genre, before or since.

Come to think of it there was activity with Roy Harper as well, but anyway yes, only the soundtrack and Outrider under his own flag & steam. However, by his own admission Jimmy has never been inclined to pursue nor maintain a proper solo career. It's arguably unfair to find fault with him for failing to do what he's never been interested in doing.

I don't think being a musician means you're better qualified to make a statement. It's subjective. Comparing Buddy Miller to Jimmy Page is like comparing apples to chocolate. Two completely different styles of playing. Preferring one to the other is fine but saying one's better, I don't know if I'd view it that way. And mind you I think Jimmy is an amazing player, always have.

I apologize, I was not trying to implement that I have a enhanced point of view or anything like that, I was simply saying I see things through a different window then people that dont play music typically. I have odd & weird opinions on different styles and kinds of music because of how I personally aproach music or guitar playing. Yes I am educated on Buddy Miller & Jimmy Page. It is two different kind of styles. I'm pretty sure Page has a bit more credibility on the guitar part there also

I think we have to remember that around 2006 he had personal issues to deal with, which would take first priority. Having said that, I am always inclined to think that JP lacks self-confidence. He set such a high standard during Zeppelin's glory years that people expect a lot of him. And as I have said on this site before he needs a lyricist.

Archived