The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

I love sabbath.

And the ozzy years are the best, but I love the dio years as well.

ozzy's voice is a integral part of the charm of the early sabbath stuff.

I will stick with the first 4 albums as thembeing at their peak, lost interst after that.

First saw them in 1972.

For me it's the Ozzy years all the way. But then I'm from near B'ham and he's a local hero (along with the rest of Sabbath, Plant & Bonham).

That run of the first six albums is just unbelievable. Hard to pick a favourite, but I think it may be "Master Of Reality".

On a slightly different topic; I think my favourite Sabbath-influenced bands have got to be Soundgarden and then the whole Palm Desert scene - Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age etc. Is it me or is Josh Homme (and his crew) the only current artist worth listening to? I know that's not strictly true, but it sometimes seems that way.

Edited by Tea For One

On a slightly different topic; I think my favourite Sabbath-influenced bands have got to be Soundgarden and then the whole Palm Desert scene - Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age etc. Is it me or is Josh Homme (and his crew) the only current artist worth listening to? I know that's not strictly true, but it sometimes seems that way.

How about Fu Manchu? F'n great band..

Although I am a Dio years fan and not Ozzy I did got to see Sabbath with Ozzy as it had to be done, also I have been to the Ozzfest to see him too. I like his guitarest Zk Wylde and think he is a great player !! I love one of Zaks solo songs called Horse called War, what a riff, love playing that !! Oh and the one time I went to see sabbath with Dio as singer, when we got there at the hall, it was cancelled due to floor stage problems, we were gutted. We got a refund and bought tickets to see Thunder the week after. But Dio stayed on and met us to say sorry and autographed stuff for us.

dioautoth.jpg

ozzfesttic2001th.jpg

Edited by leddy

Although I am a Dio years fan and not Ozzy I did got to see Sabbath with Ozzy as it had to be done, also I have been to the Ozzfest to see him too. I like his guitarest Zk Wylde and think he is a great player !! I love one of Zaks solo songs called Horse called War, what a riff, love playing that !! Oh and the one time I went to see sabbath with Dio as singer, when we got there at the hall, it was cancelled due to floor stage problems, we were gutted. We got a refund and bought tickets to see Thunder the week after. But Dio stayed on and met us to say sorry and autographed stuff for us.

ozzfesttic2001th.jpg

I was there for that one and in '98, great days!

Josh Homme and Dave Grohl are Gods.

The fathers of metal. What's not to like about them? Of course, their Ozzy era is pretty much the best you could ask for. End of story.

Seconded.

Ozzy wrote some great lyrics too. He deserves more credit for that. And of course Tony Iommi created the metal guitar sound, which changed everything.

I've always loved the transition between Paranoid and Master Of Reality... When Tony started dropping his tuning 1 1/2 steps... Awesome stuff! B) (Can't beat starting an album with someone coughing their lungs up either!)

I've always loved the transition between Paranoid and Master Of Reality... When Tony started dropping his tuning 1 1/2 steps... Awesome stuff!

Yeah, it's an amazing sound and very revolutionary!

Budgie's debut album, which came out just one month before 'Master Of Reality' has a very similar sound. They had the same producer at the time, so it's probably no coincidence.

What can I say?

They're fucking excellent and you're a moron if you don't like em!

:beer:

Oh Jan. :lol:

Judgmental, are we?

:hysterical:

Hey, Black Sabbath! My personal favs are "The Wizard", "Paranoid", "Fairies Wear Boots" , "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and "Sweet Leaf".

Good songs indeed, wendigo! :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see that many agree with my opinion about early Sabbath. I still have the Black Box on my wish list. B)

I am not too familliar with Sabbath with Dio, but what I've heard of it, I don't like as much.

Edited by manderlyh

Yeah, it's an amazing sound and very revolutionary!

Budgie's debut album, which came out just one month before 'Master Of Reality' has a very similar sound. They had the same producer at the time, so it's probably no coincidence.

Cool.. I'll have to check that album out!

Oh Jan. :lol:

Judgmental, are we?

:hysterical:

Good songs indeed, wendigo! :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see that many agree with my opinion about early Sabbath. I still have the Black Box on my wish list. B)

I am not too familliar with Sabbath with Dio, but what I've heard of it, I don't like as much.

I went years without liking the Dio years at all! I think they're definitely a 'grower'... Some great riffs!

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Tony revert back to standard(ish) tuning for the Dio stuff..? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Cool.. I'll have to check that album out!

Check out their official myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/budgieofficialmyspace

The track 'Guts' is the first song from their debut album.

There is also the classic 'Breadfan' from their third album from 1973 and two tracks from their most recent album, which came out last year.

• 2 weeks later...