What was the thing that went through your head when you first heard Led Zeppelin

JiMiHeNdRiX1967

For me It was 3 years ago ( im sure i hear kashmir on the radio at some point, but this was the first time i remember it) I was used to music being the Jonas Brothers ( I like modern music, but i didnt know about that then) I heard stairway on the radio. I just remember thinking what in the world was this. The next day i bought Led Zeppelin 1 and i saved up for the next one every few weeks. And here I am

I think mine would have to have been coming home from Dublin with my brother and Black Dog came on (although I had heard them before, it was almost like bein' forced!) but this time it just...it just blew me away and ever since then I've been a total Zeppelin nut!

Well, I was 12 when I got to hear Led Zep for the very first time. I was on my way to the dentist. I was absolutely terrified because I thought I was in for a couple of fillings! Ouch! :unsure: So, anyway, my dad who was driving me, was nice enough to put some music on just to cheer me up! When "Black Dog" came on, I just forgot about my tooth, the dentist and all my other fears! I was so transfixed at the wonderful music that was playing. I was in a bit of a trance to be honest because of this very unique and beautiful sound! Being a 12 year old kid, I couldn't quite figure out the lyrics but that voice, those guitar notes! Gosh! This was truly something new and exciting indeed for me at the time and I looked at the car stereo (after the song ended) in absolute awe thinking that it was truly the most divine object in the world! My days of being a Zep Head were officially just beginning! :D

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

It was a few years ago spring 07 i'm a big Nirvana fan at the time i was on youtube checking out on every Nirvana videos and i read comments people said they should also listen to Black Sabbath, The Who, Iron Maiden, AC DC, and Led Zeppelin. I knew who AC DC was and the Who but i never heard Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin. I heard of Led Zeppelin before from a Lenny Kravitz bio, i never heard of LZ music until one day i was listen to some classic rock station bcuz i got tired of the mainstream pop station Kashmir came on and i was like....wait, a minute is this is Diddy's song? lol

I remember Diddy remade Kashmir i didn't know if it was old or new so i say to myself this person remade Diddy's song lol shame on me. But the more i heard Kashmir the more i thought it wasn't a brand new song that it sound kind of oldies, but still has that fresh feeling. However we all know that Diddy usually remake classics records. I didn't know what was the song and the artist name i was desperate to know who they were. One day i caught Kashmir on the radio again i ask myself who sing this song? I kept guessing i thought it was Bono from U2 (please don't kill me) lol i swear i thought it was Bono i got Bono and Robert's vocals all mixed up shame on me and then i was like...either Bono sounds young or this isn't him.

The song ended and there was no dj said the song title or the artist i was so pissed and then the next day i caught Kashmir i was so hoping if some dj just spit it out the name of the song and artist and nobody didn't say a word. I was so angry and losing my patience until one day 97.1 The Ego a dj from heaven said in his very own words "That was Led Zeppelin". I was like holy s**t.....that was led zeppelin???? I said in my head i heard of them before but not their music i was so happy and thrill i found out it was them but the dj didn't said the name of the song so i was a little disappointed and happy at the same time.

I had to search Kashmir by myself but it was hard bcuz i didn't had a computer at the time only cellphone access to the internet and boom box to entertain myself. I search Led Zeppelin just to see how the band looks like 1. i never thought they were from England 2. When i first saw them i giggled on Jimmy i was like...he sort looks like a chick in this picture lol and then the more i saw more pics of Jimmy the more i start liking this guy as in a musician and as in a hottie. The day i first saw a picture of Robert Plant it was actually his recent pictures he looks like a lion he hair trip me out i'm like...is that his real hair? lol

The second song i heard by Led Zeppelin was "Ramble On" and then "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" let me just say "BIGLY" swept me away i love "BIGLY" that song is goes hard it is so raw and so awesome.

The day i heard Stairway to Heaven it was a rainy night going to a Friday morning i stood up all night it came on like around 3:00 a.m. I have to say i was so eager to hear Stairway to Heaven bcuz of the legacy behind it when i heard it i was about to cry at first i when it came on i wasn't for sure if it was "STH" til Robert said "Stairway to Heaven" dude, you should of seen me i was about to have a heart attack my heart just pounding i was so excited i was about to scream but i couldn't bcuz everyone was asleep at the time. lol

When i heard "STH" I was kind of creeped out and sad at the time i was creeped out because the urban legend about if you play it backwards the song is called "Stairway to Hell". I was also sad because it was so damn beautiful it was a rainy night my wish came true i wanted to hear so bad i was waiting to hear it someday and i kept thinking about Janis Joplin i heard stories the song was about her but i do know the song is about hope. I was and still am amazed at the guitar solo through out the end of the song it is so powerful the song will always be the most epic classic rock song ever hands down, but i say Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody comes in second.

My take on Zep when I first started getting into them was this. This is Funkey and grovey stuff. The Live stuff got me more interested. Zep is my band and in my DNA. The only other Musical intitiy on Earth That has that same draw for me is James Brown.

I first heard the tail end of Robert acapella ending of Rock and Roll followed by Bonzo's solo. That was my first memory. So I guess its safe to say that Zep's R/R got me into Zep.

I find that they have everything variety wise for me. They are an action packed Rock and Roll band with soul. I like the fact that they play around with thier songs. Unlike The Stones/Who and some others.

The first 6 Albums/CD are masterpiceses in rock.

I also like the way they play as well. Bonzo and Jimmy have a superstar status for thier intrument. Robert improvises his lyrics and JPJ is very funky in his bass stylings.

None of them are going thru the motions and I would hate to be any band that has to go on after them in thier prime.

Mc7

Unlike the OP, I never heard LZ on the radio before I heard them on an LP.

I began to hear about LZ by word of mouth as I began my Freshman year of High School in 1969. The buzz on the street was unlike anything I had ever felt before, excepting the buzz on the street about The Beatles in 1963-64, which is unlike anything that I have ever experienced since.

So, with the money I earned from my paper route that I threw after school, I went and purchased my first LZ album in October of 1969. It just so happened that their "new" album was out and well stocked in the record bin. That's the album that I bought, LZ II. I carefully balanced the album as I rode my bicycle home from the store that night.

I literally went into the 'closet' to listen to the new album. My parents home had a "music room" closet that contained the receiver and the turntable, and lots of LPs. The speakers, however, were in the living room....so, I put on the Koss Headphones, and let 'er rip, as they say.... :D

The sonic assault of "WLL" was so intense to my 14 year old "Hard Rock" virgin ears (and mind).... that NO THING went through my head when I first heard Led Zeppelin, EXCEPT... the MUSIC itself.... and that Music, that sonic assault, of voice, guitar, bass, and drums, FILLED my mind, my heart, and, my soul.

For some reason I wanted to listen to the opening tracks of each side, first, before listening to the entire album.

And so, the second Led Zeppelin song that I ever listened to was "Heartbreaker". I had NEVER heard anything like that before.

I was 100% sold on the band at that point. My first favorite band, was The Beatles, and now my favorite band as a teenager (and beyond)... is Led Zeppelin.

Listening to LZ II with those Koss headphones on, on one of those initial "hot" pressings of the album, well, it was stunning and exhilarating... mind-blowing. When something touches you like that.... there are no words... no thoughts to sum it up. The experience itself, is the statement of what has taken place.

Edited by The Rover

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know how old I was when I listened to Led Zeppelin for first time in my life, because my parents played a mix of rock and blues music at home during those years. But maybe I had 5, or 6, or 7. The first song I remember is Black dog. It's a riff I did never forget; if I heard it anytime after I recognized it. It seemed to me like a pure seventie's-guitar explosion (my mother often talked to me a lot about sixties and seventies :lol:) It was like: UAAAUUU!! :blink: What a great energy!! She was a great Led fan ^^

But Stairway to heaven shocked me more. I think I was 7 or 8. That acoustic intro brought me tears. I wanted to cry, I don't know, that guitar makes me feel sad. From that moment the song brought me very beautiful and nostalgic memories, and I didn't want to hear ir anymore :unsure:, due to familiar circumstances.

Past year, when I started to discover all Led discography, I realized I couldn't no to hear it, and wanted to move away the pain from the song. At first I cried a lot with it, but now I'm "healed" and I enjoy it everytime :D

That's the magic which Led Zeppelin has: the power to make you cry, laught and change your emotions in a second.

Edited by Laura_Page

'ohhh gawwwd, it's time to get up...'

(Immigrant Song came on right after the clock radio turned on...yep, a click and then that intro vocal). I just laid there and listened... and became very awake). B)

Listened to BLACK DOG and thought "This IS Rock!"

It was 1973 and a girlfriend told me to buy "Houses of the Holy." This was before FM radio in my area and AM did not really play much Zep.

I was immediately taken with how incredibly good this band sounded. Hard Rock...yet melodic too.

But I think the "thing" that I thought first was, "Who is this singing with this one of a kind voice and wail?"

Robert Plant and his voice is what was going through my mind. Like it was yesterday I remember those lines he sang.......

I had dream......crazy dream. Come along with me.........

I got my flower, I got my power, I got a woman who knows.........

Close the door, put out the light. You know they won't be home tonight....

Upon us all......just a little rain must fall.

I ask you, who else on the planet could sing those lines like Robert Plant did back in the day? That's right. Nobody..........:) missy

Been too long ago to recall exactly what I thought or even when I actually heard Led Zeppelin for the first time. The first time hearing them that meant something to me was when my family was traveling through Europe in 1972. An older brother had purchased a copy of IV on cassette (which came in an orange case, btw) that we were listening to in the van during our trip. I recall lots of low lying fog and castles, a pretty ideal setting for my first Zeppelin experience, particularly related to that album. It would be years afterward before I even knew what they looked like. The same brother also used to play II on 8-track but I had no idea that was even them on the cover. It was when I first started buying magazines like Creem, Circus and Hit Parader that I was finally able to see what the band members looked like.

I really can't remember the first time I heard Zeppelin, probably when I was in the womb since my mom was a huuuuuuuuuuuuge Zeppelin fan. I was born in 76 and Zep was riding high, and Mom had buttloads of Zeppelin 8 tracks. I think I became aware of Zeppelin and who they were at 3 or 4. Still didn't know what they looked like, but I could pick out a Zep song from a mile away. And immediately start acting like I was on crack lmao. I learned to sing their songs at the same time I was learning to talk, and have been imitating Robert Plant ever since. I'm 34 years old now and my love for the mighty Zeppelin hasn't abated one bit. In fact, I got my first tattoo a year ago and it was the Swan Song symbol.

Fun fact: Whole Lotta Love used to scare the bejeezus out of me when I was 3. Mom and Dad had one of those huge wooden stereos that looked like a massive piece of furniture, and Mom would crank it when playing Whole Lotta Love, and I'd rock out till the middle breakdown part. It would freak me out, lmao. I'd hide behind the couch till Jimmy's guitar started back up again and jump out from behind the couch and start rocking out again. I was scared of this song yet I'd wanna hear it, and I knew the middle part would come but I'd freak out anyway. Go figure, lol.

Can't recall exactly what I was thinking, but I know it was the Houses Of The Holy cd, and I do recall how hypnotic Dancing Days was. It's hard to explain but it felt as if every sound had a reason for being and then when Bonzo hit the skins at the beginning of D'yer Mak'er - I WAS HOOKED! I borrowed the cd and didn't unplug it until I got a copy of Presence a couple weeks later.

:notworthy:

When my mum introduced me to Led Zeppelin, It was as if someone had taken away all negative parts of me away and left me nothing but hairs standing on edge, eye's tearing with astonishment, my heart pumping to the beat. My body moved to the music, my ears listening to every sound- every song was magnificent and non of them I disliked. And if the sun refused to shine, I will still be loving you Led Zeppelin.

Robert Plant: Gorgeous voice, amazing sounds, is one of the best vocalists in the world (in my opinion he is the best) and he is hot! I found it amazing that my naturally blonde, curly/wavy hair is just like his! He is such a sweet guy and has the looks to match it the best voice in the world as a bonus touch.That's part of the reason why I love Robert Plant. I would love to meet him one day.

With out these amazing four men together, you wouldn't have Led Zeppelin. If only John Bonham didn't die, Led Zeppelin would still be Led Zeppelin. One of the greatest drummers in the World. Jimmy Page is just.... I can't think of the right word he is so good. John Paul just exquisite.

I was first introduced to Kashmir and I already new the song and I already had fallen in love with it. Led Zeppelin is my life and so are many other bands which aren't new! What happened to music?

I should lived in the 70's instead of been born 1996!

Edited by Kathryn

Just read Strider's post from '09, WOW!

Back in the late 60's early 70's I lived in a small town, one radio station, AM, and they did their best to appeal to everyone. Most of my music education came from the bedroom next door to mine, my older brother. He spun one record after another, lots of Santana and Black Sabbath, but never Led Zeppelin. Looking back I don't know why he didn't, he has most of LZ's music now.

I heard Led Zeppelin for the first time in the early 70's. But only heard it, I didn't really get to "listen" to it. You lose a lot when listening to a one speaker AM radio. It wasn't until one day while at a friend of mine's house that I heard "Stairway To Heaven" in stereo on his record player. There was so much more to the music that I just did not know was there.

At that point I noticed that what I was listening to was just songs on the radio, Led Zeppelin was music!

Turn it up,

Steve B