What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

Cincinnati 27 April 1977. Probably one of the first dozen or so shows I ever heard. I remember I had a big 4LP black box with "Destroyer" stamped on it.

Still one of my favorites even if the show isn't considered one of the best.

You mean Cleveland, right?

Also, listening to Heartbreaker 1975/02/14

Over the Top (Moby Dick) 4-3-77 OKC. Just picked this up. Wow, fantastic drum solo on this one! No killing time whatsoever, Bonzo is just a locomotive right out of the gate.

I love how he fucks with Page at the end of the Noise Solo by breaking into the "Dazed And Confused" rhythm for a second or two...unless Bonzo temporarily forgot what year it was of course :lol:

That part always makes me laugh too.

I love how he fucks with Page at the end of the Noise Solo by breaking into the "Dazed And Confused" rhythm for a second or two...unless Bonzo temporarily forgot what year it was of course :lol:

Just heard that. Ha! Love it when Bonzo's feeling mischievious

Copenhagen 24 July 1979. I really like the '79 shows and at times wish they'd ended there and went out on a high point at Knebworth instead of with the 1980 European tour. Had they gone on to the US I suspect that the shows would have improved, especially in the usual places; New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, etc.

Terrific recordings and atmosphere at the Copenhagen shows. I'm not sure how big the actual venue is, but they have a small club atmosphere.

You mean Cleveland, right?

Also, listening to Heartbreaker 1975/02/14

Yes. Cleveland/Cincinnati always get me.

Edited by Feline Overlord

May 16, 1973 Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, Texas.

40 years to the night. It's the soundboard that only covers the last hour of the show; from Stairway to Communication Breakdown. I used to have it on the "Going Down" cd but I gave that to a friend as a present last year. Then, I got Godfatherecords "Quick Diet", which includes the Houston Soundboard on a third disc along with the May 28, 1973 San Diego Soundboard.

If the first part of the Houston show is as good as the last, then Houston must rank as one of the best of the 1973 U.S. tour. The Houston tape kicks off with a very good "Stairway to Heaven". Jimmy's guitar is a little low in the mix until the solo, and it seems the band doesn't quite hit the "To be a rock and not to roll" part quite right(whether it's Bonham's or Plant's fault is uncertain). But Jimmy's solo is one of the better ones.

After Stairway comes one of the best "Moby Dicks" ever...top 10 for sure, amd maybe even top 5 all-time. It's up there with 9.29.71 Osaka and 8.31.71 Orlando and 1.9.70 RAH.

It's energetic and focused...one way to tell that Bonzo was on his game is that he hits the Tympani part only 10 minutes into the solo. Compare that to the 1977 Landover snooze-a-thons, where 10 minutes in and Bonham is still diddling around the first part of the solo...he hasn't even made it to the hand-section yet.

What also makes this "Moby Dick" shine is the way the band attacks the riff before and after the solo. There were times when the band, especially Jimmy, approached this part with indifference, particularly in 1975. Not here, though...in Houston 1973 they nail it with force.

"Heartbreaker" follows and again, it's a good version...and Jimmy doesn't meander during the solo as he sometimes tended to do; he gets right down to brass tacks and shreds it almost perfectly. I never cared for how they linked "Heartbreaker" and "Whole Lotta Love" together, casting aside the final verse and ending of "Heartbreaker", but once they get started on "Whole Lotta Love", it cooks.

What makes the Houston WLL special is that it is one of the few from this tour where they added "Going Down"(the Jeff Beck arrangement) to the medley. Off the top of my head I know 5.28.73 San Diego and 6.3.73 LA were other "Going Down" nights.

The Soundboard tape ends with the encore of "Communication Breakdown". The tape garbles the end of the song...don't know if that was the fault of the original tape or if it got garbled later on. Too bad there's no "The Ocean"...again, maybe it was played and the Soundboard tape just ran out before the song.

Considering that Zeppelin only played "The Ocean" a few times on the 1972 tour, the band should have made it the encore song at EVERY 1973 concert. Then, they could have played CB as the second song, with "Thank You" as the third encore on special occasions.

All in all, 1973 Houston is a treat...just wish we could have the whole show.