No "In Through the Out Door" tonight

Surprisingly, the Band chose not to include any songs from ITTOD...Anyone else surprised?

I am, thought maybe In The Evening would have been there.

I would have loved Achilles off Presence but there are over 100 Zeppelin songs and only 16(?) played at the O2 - unfortunately they had to leave a lot out.

I'm not surprised...they barely tapped into it in 79-80......just as they barely tapped into Presence in 77. Plant has said the biggest problem with sorting out setlists as the band progressed was'nt which songs to add, but rather which songs to pull. They all agreed that the earlier stuff came across better on the big stage. The more production an album had, the thinner it became on stage. Straight up 4 piece band in your face barnstorming is what they are famous for in a live setting. Only 3 tracks were ever played on stage from ITTOD. All of which simply had to take a back seat to tonight's setlist. tonight's crowd got a throwback show of some of Zep's finest moments....plus one gem never played before which IMO they should have done in 77...along w/ 3-4 more from Presence!

I was hoping for Fool in the Rain. It's hard to get all the songs. It would have been nice to see them try and get one from every album but I guess they didn't feel there was a place for a ITTOD

i agree fool in the rain would have been awesome...but with only 16 songs and sooooo many zep songs its hard..hopefully on tour they will do it!

I agree. BUT, what a SWEET set list!!!!!!! For only having 2 hours, MY GOD, they hit it ON THE HEAD. What should they have left out to include an ITTOD track? Opened the encore with In the Evening into R+R, skipping WLL? I dunno. Maybe if the set was a tad longer, they could have slipped in ITE or All Of My Love. Hot Dog? Nahhh........ I mean, My GOD, they played Dazed and Confused, I wasn't expecting that one at all--(as I sit here in Connecticut getting more pissed by the minute that I didn't get a ticket In the lottery), but, having touched all their records in the set, something off ITTOD would have been nice.

Maybe next summer when they hit the states for a sweaty stadium jaunt, eh????????????

also remember.....the way Zep was keeping pace back in the day.......if you think a late 80-early81 US Zep tour would have been full of ITTOD tunes....by the time the US tour would have started that album would have been 2 yrs old to the band. Not exactly something fresh to ride the wave of. Many band's tour MO consists of playing all the new stuff and the best of the rest. Zep has NEVER been one of those bands. A show is a show and whatever comes across best in an arena setting gets preference. Some tunes just don't translate on the big stage. Fool In The Rain IMO is one of those. If they were in the same venue where Unledded was filmed it would have worked...not in a 20,000 seater.

Surprisingly, the Band chose not to include any songs from ITTOD...Anyone else surprised?

I am, thought maybe In The Evening would have been there.

Not taking anything away from the mind shattering show itself but I thought that the set list was pretty much what the band expected the fans would want to hear. Although I think ITTOD is a great album, it's probably not on the list of favorites with a lot of fans like, say, the fourth album is. Then, of course, there's the time constraints to think of and, although we would have loved a 3 (4?) hour show, they only had two hours so something had to give.

Not taking anything away from the mind shattering show itself but I thought that the set list was pretty much what the band expected the fans would want to hear. Although I think ITTOD is a great album, it's probably not on the list of favorites with a lot of fans like, say, the fourth album is. Then, of course, there's the time constraints to think of and, although we would have loved a 3 (4?) hour show, they only had two hours so something had to give.

Fool in the Rain I don't think is very popular with the hard rock crowd but it is one of their most often played songs on classic rock stations, because it's so palatable. So I could have seen them doing it. I could live without Custard Pie and Misty Mountain Hop. I think Robert just likes those tunes. He already had a chance to use the harmonica on Nobody's Fault. It's clear to me that 2 hours is insufficient time no matter how you slice it. I think if they ever do tour they should partition their act over two or three night's performances. That way they can stretch out the improv properly.

It's clear to me that 2 hours is insufficient time no matter how you slice it. I think if they ever do tour they should partition their act over two or three night's performances. That way they can stretch out the improv properly.

Or maybe have a long intermission....45mins or an hour?

Or maybe have a long intermission....45mins or an hour?

Jimmy said in a recent interview, that he can't do 3 and a half hour concerts anymore. He said 2 hours was all he could do. However, I think eventually, if they tour, that he might find the energy for a 2 and a half hour show, but he is headed towards 70 years old, so maybe we should be happy with a 2 hour show if they continue on with the momentum.

Jimmy said in a recent interview, that he can't do 3 and a half hour concerts anymore. He said 2 hours was all he could do. However, I think eventually, if they tour, that he might find the energy for a 2 and a half hour show, but he is headed towards 70 years old, so maybe we should be happy with a 2 hour show if they continue on with the momentum.

I totally agree, if Jimmy's says he only able to do a two hour show, then that's what we get and be happy(hell, I'd be happy, not sated, mind you, with a one hour show!). It's a privilege seeing them reunited to begin with.

also remember.....the way Zep was keeping pace back in the day.......if you think a late 80-early81 US Zep tour would have been full of ITTOD tunes....by the time the US tour would have started that album would have been 2 yrs old to the band. Not exactly something fresh to ride the wave of. Many band's tour MO consists of playing all the new stuff and the best of the rest. Zep has NEVER been one of those bands. A show is a show and whatever comes across best in an arena setting gets preference. Some tunes just don't translate on the big stage. Fool In The Rain IMO is one of those. If they were in the same venue where Unledded was filmed it would have worked...not in a 20,000 seater.

Do you think they may have also wanted to favor more of the Atlantic label songs? I didn't go back to the setlist to add them up, so don't even know if there are more. Just a passing thought.

If they tour they should play a city like 4 or five nights in a row at an arena, and vary the set each night.

That way the tour is not as tiring, and they can play a lot more of there material without having to do a marathon concert.

If they tour they should play a city like 4 or five nights in a row at an arena, and vary the set each night.

That way the tour is not as tiring, and they can play a lot more of there material without having to do a marathon concert.

Agreed. If they do ever tour I'm sure it will be unlike the typical "world" tours in the past. Your idea is a sound one. I'm sure any arena would have them for a 3-5 night stay!

I've just got to put this out there:

In Through the Out Door SUCKED

I love all their other albums. They're my favorite band ever, and I'm a hardcore fan. Yet I hated that album.

Perhaps sucked is a bit harsh...although I thought that post SUCKED!! :lol:

Opinion noted, but ignored. :lol:

Joke.

I was thinking that ITTOD was the last release before Bonzo died and I'm sure they were rehearsing many of the numbers to play in America in 1980. They played a couple of the songs in the tour over Europe (ITE & AOML)- maybe the songs brought back sad memories? Hard to say. In the evening would have been good and PP played it in 95'

Archived