Best live version of Achilles?

pujols05

I have all of my best Zeppelin shows on my iPod, and I am very particular about rating all my tunes...and somehow I haven't given any live performance of Achilles Last Stand a 5-star rating. Contrast that to numerous 5-star performances of Kashmir, No Quarter, Dazed, IMTOD, SIBLY, OTHAFA, etc.

I was quite impressed with the performance on the new NYC '77 soundboard, and of course 6-21-77 is strong, but I'd like to know what the community thinks. Thanks in advance.

Knebworth (DVD), Studio

Rare for me for Zeppelin but I dont think I could give any other live versions 5 stars.

Probably the best version of ALS of Zep, but it wa corrected some what with overdubs as the original from this date, which I've heard is a bit sloppy. Although, you could go forward to a very good version during the Page/Plant tour of 1995. They did a great version in Atlanta. Michael Lee did Bonzo proud on this too!

Here you go:

For me, the studio version is impossible to beat, it is IMHO Zep's best song, such a

brilliant production,

But for live there are very mixed moments, the 'best' being:

Knebworth 04.08.1979 - Excellent tnh, even the bootleg unaltered version is pretty darn good.

Los Angeles 21.06.1977 - I have to say, a stunning version, Bonzo's drumming is perfect, Jimmy is pretty much on fire too, a great version.

Los Angeles 23.06.1977 - Again, pretty great version, no real messups or anything.

Frankfurt 30.06.1980 - I havn't really got a high opinion on the whole '80 tour, but this version is pretty good, great drumming and Jimmy holds it too, Zurich is quite good too tbh...

It might have been better live is Jimmy wasn't a bit 'indifferent' or maybe if he played the same solos in most versions, in most he tries different things, i know that is sort of his trademark, but i do sometimes wish he would have done the Knebworth solo(s) a lot more tbh,

Copenhaghen 24.07.1979 is pretty good to tbf....

They performed "Achilles" better in '79 and '80 than in '77. In 1977 it was played way too fast (too much coke?) whereas later versions are closer to the studio tempo. The Knebworth version on the DVD is probably the definitive version IMO (post production tweaking or not)

It's been mentioned before, but there's the theory -regarding the 1980 versions- that generally when they nailed it, Robert sang, "I know the way, know the way, know the way..." whereas on a bad night it's, "I used to know the way, used to know the way..." :D

They performed "Achilles" better in '79 and '80 than in '77. In 1977 it was played way too fast (too much coke?) whereas later versions are closer to the studio tempo. The Knebworth version on the DVD is probably the definitive version IMO (post production tweaking or not)

It's been mentioned before, but there's the theory -regarding the 1980 versions- that generally when they nailed it, Robert sang, "I know the way, know the way, know the way..." whereas on a bad night it's, "I used to know the way, used to know the way..." :D

Sorry can´t agree to that.Live was always supposed to be new and diffrent from the studio work.

Jimmy could not play all the overdubbs live.I love the studio version but I love the speed live version even more.

The force and perfect combination of the instruments and vocals are mindblowing and you won´t find all this in

the Knebworth version.I was there and liked the track instead of most of the rest they played.Still think Knebworth was better than Cologne and

Dortmund that I also saw.But anyhow everytime I heard this song live I was in heaven.

Sorry can´t agree to that.Live was always supposed to be new and diffrent from the studio work.

Jimmy could not play all the overdubbs live.I love the studio version but I love the speed live version even more.

The force and perfect combination of the instruments and vocals are mindblowing and you won´t find all this in

the Knebworth version.I was there and liked the track instead of most of the rest they played.Still think Knebworth was better than Cologne and

Dortmund that I also saw.But anyhow everytime I heard this song live I was in heaven.

Even when it was sloppy as fuck because they were playing it too fast? Just sayin' (you must have missed the "IMO" in my posting)

St Paul 77 which I saw

I know it was 34 years ago, but how was that show? Anything in particular you remember about it? St Paul is one of the "missing seven" '77 shows (no circulating recording), so forgive the King his curiosity... :D

Munich's pretty good...last time the original band played the tune, of course.

I know it was 34 years ago, but how was that show? Anything in particular you remember about it? St Paul is one of the "missing seven" '77 shows (no circulating recording), so forgive the King his curiosity... :D It was a great show and I hope someday the recording comes out if there is one. the band was on fire and this show was as good as any of the LA shows, I think Page has said that this show was a great one, I was happy that 'Trampled Underfoot' was played, encores were 'Rock and Roll' and 'Black Dog' which was seldom played on this tour. the crowd was so into the whole show, During 'Moby Dick' there was a guy drunk or stoned out of his mind sitting up on a rail at the bottem of a asile prentending he was Bonham and he fell right over, I think he must of hurt himself, I really hope a recording comes to light one day, It will show this was one of the best 77 shows, the show the night before was at the Met Center in Mpls, I was young and did not have a way to get to that one but heard it was only a so so show, the show started over a hour late because the band was held up in Chicago by bad thunderstroms. they were tired and not that into it. Sadly there are no known recordings of that show either.

Munich's pretty good...last time the original band played the tune, of course.

The 80s versons are some of the best, very underated tour

The June 23 '77 ALS rolls so hard because of JPJ!!!!!! Check that awesome chunking, thumping crunching ELECTRIC bass! (JB's at the top of his game too, what a rhythm section!)

Probably the best Zep version or from two nights before on the LTTE versions.

Archived