Anyone Else Miss The 90's?

OutriderX

Page / Plant, Vh1 accually playing music, Star Trek: TNG, decent movies, cellular phones werent smarter than people yet, good video games, people still believed the zep reunion tours when they heard them, young people werent complete sociopaths yet, a pack of reds still costed a couple bucks, a gallon of gas for a dollar, that feeling like big and important things were happening all around you (at least on the west coast in the 90's) music was still music to a degree... Anyone else miss that decade?

I miss the 90s much more than I miss the RUDDY, Wimpy 80s (I was in my prime years of life in the 80s!!!). I started making lots of money in my profession in the 90s and many of my dreams came true.....I can't understand why many peeps prefer the 80s wirh all its YUPPISM ands FALSE ideals even in music....perhaps I lost out in the 80s, but I welcomed the ousting of the 80s by the 90s with a BIG bang....80S GOOD RIDDANCE....90s you saved my life:):):)!!!!

I guess so. I mean the 90's corresponded to 30-40 for me, and I would say that so far it's the decade that I accomplished and enjoyed the most so far in my life. Finished school and started making some cash. Took a lot of fine vacatons too, which I know I'll never do the same way again (I never slept on the ground past 40). The constant security paranoia of post 9-11 does make me view that era as a more innocent time. It's not a concert anymore, it's a barricaded stockade. I also view Bill Clinton's Presidency as the finest American political era of my lifetime.....can you say "surplus" boys & girls ? There was actually a political debate about what we should do with the extra money. :slapface:

...But I didn't enjoy waiting 10 minutes for the "Electric Magic" homepage to load. :)

That's true. And things were good for awhile, until the music industry killed a vital rock scene with bilge like Hootie and the Blowfish, Limp Bizkit and 1,000 bad Nirvana and AIC clones.

That too is true, but the 90s came out extremely clean with respect to the 80s musically and socially speaking....it was as if the people were unsheathing their false Reaganisìtic style of living...all disco and false glam....and looking fwd to the REAL thing...again:):):)

decent movies, cellular phones werent smarter than people yet, good video games, people still believed the zep reunion tours when they heard them, young people werent complete sociopaths yet, a pack of reds still costed a couple bucks, a gallon of gas for a dollar, that feeling like big and important things were happening all around you (at least on the west coast in the 90's)

With all that I agree 100%. I grew up in the 90's and it was awesome. Don't forget how great the cartoons were for kids growing up. Probably the strongest era of cartoons. And an underrated decade for movies as well. Things were just more exciting and fun in the 90's.

That too is true, but the 90s came out extremely clean with respect to the 80s musically and socially speaking....it was as if the people were unsheathing their false Reaganisìtic style of living...all disco and false glam....and looking fwd to the REAL thing...again:):):)

Yes. Also the 80's were very anti-drug and drink, very moralistic, whereas the 90's seemed a breaking free of that - sometimes good, sometimes not but definitely more free. Rather than preppy and yuppy suddenly everyone was getting a tattoo, going to all-night raves and dyeing their hair pink. Rather than John Hughes cuddly teenagers movies you had ultra-violent (and funny) Tarantino films. 'Twas a good time.

In terms of personal milestones, the 90s were the best years of my life. I got married and had 2 of my children and settled into being a grown up. Culturally/musically though, I have always felt like I missed the entire decade and didn't relate to it at all. I felt too old and settled for the new bands that were breaking out. Those were the Barney and CNN years for me. :)

I also view Bill Clinton's Presidency as the finest American political era of my lifetime.....can you say "surplus" boys & girls ? There was actually a political debate about what we should do with the extra money. :slapface:

I'll always consider Clinton a failure, because you have to judge what Administrations are able to accomplish in the time of their service. The 90's were probably the easiest decade to govern in the last century (debatable against versus only the 1920's) and the guy really accomplished SQUAT. He had no progress in energy policy/investment, he started the deregulations that got us the mortgage crisis of the late 2000's, he carried forward the status quo of HW Bush's foreign policy (with Rwanda on his ledger), he handed health care reform over to his First Lady wife (that most people did not like or trust) that went nowhere. Sure the economy was great but a lot of that was false prosperity that blew up just as he was exiting office with the hi-tech/internet bubble bursting.

As a sum total economically, Clinton left us with NAFTA.

Why do Americans love free movement of capital & goods, but hate free movement of labor so much? Isn't that core Adam Smith? I much prefer to see capital and good movement heavily restrained by labor, environmental and human rights constraints, which would lower the made-up economic terms, but increase human happiness (something only Bhutan cares to measure).

I won't argue that 90's weren't a great time for this country, but even the idiotic GW Bush probably could have governed the 90's without screwing up too much (he was busy screwing up Texas though, ask anybody who lives down there). You could argue that most of the problems Bush faced were due to the idleness/inattention to larger issues that Clinton should have been addressing. Clinton was the biggest backpedaling, centrist pussy we've ever had serve as President in our lifetimes.

The 90's for me was work and trying to get to a point of finally making a decent living. Business was thriving in my industry. I for one am an Independent, but IMHO Clinton was a great President (we are all entitled to our opinions:-)

I missed a lot of my personal life due to work, but it eventually paid off.

There are parts of that time I miss and parts that I don't!

Clinton was the biggest backpedaling, centrist pussy we've ever had serve as President in our lifetimes.

Maybe your lifetime doesn't go back to the 70s, but Jimmy Carter was the ultimate pussy.

I'm certainly no Clinton fan, but compared to Carter, Clinton was a regular He-Man.

GRUNGE KILLED THE FALSE ROCK OF THE 80s.........hurray!!!!!!!:):):):)

Big Hair was spewing out offspring like a rabbit from hell. Warrant should have been arrested. CC and Poison stunk worse than their Christian Dior namesake in a sweat suit. Even Guns N' Roses' Use Your Illusion I & II seemed to fall short on substance when I saw Smells Like Team Spirit on MTV's 120 Minutes that first Sunday night it played. Time stood still then ran backwards for a while before the dust settled.

That's why Nirvana will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility -- even though Alice In Chains had much more diversity, depth and color in their sound to represent the Grunge "moment." But we should keep in mind, Grunge was just a label the music journalists came up with to tag the Seattle phenoms and the natural progression of events unfolding at that time. I didn't want this to sound like a lecture, but... **takes sip of water from under podium** ...but I think someone had to say that.

Now, I'll open the floor for a few questions...

How about giving it back to the people. :blink:

Now you're just talking crazy.

psssst, don't you ever watch DΞCODΞD on the History Channel? th_df5bc56d.gif?t=1300322341The F.B.I. and C.I.A. monitor radical thinking like that. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already started a file on you.

Oh shit!

I think someone's coming -- LOOK BUSY!

Yeah...I'd have to say I had the time of my life in the 90s.

I was constantly on the move, experiencing so much adventure and engagements. Actually my life has always been that way, but just moreso in that decade.

OH wait...the 2000's...no the 70s....nope had to be the 80s....damn, I can't make up my mind.

Well, there's been a few stumbling blocks along the way, but overall it's been a grand time ! The downtimes give the best times more sweetness, and also gives one great perspective.

The 90s rocked hard.

Soundgarden, Tool, Alice In Chains, Skinny Puppy, Monster Magnet, Ministry and Fear Factory fueled thee 90s for me.

Lollapalooza - I saw it in the ATL in '92.

Saw some great shows in the 90s.

Doesn't something have to actually go away before you can miss 'em?

I swear it sometimes seems like the 80's and 90's have never left. It used to be there was a lag time before nostalgia kicked in...like how it wasn't until the early 70's(helped by American Graffiti) that there was a 50's revival.

Or the 1979-81 boom in all things Doors and 60's counterculture, which in turn led to the Paisley Underground.

But, now with the internet and the 24/7 news cycle and the shortening of attention spans, there seems to be a current of nostalgia running all the time.

I also love how people reduce whole decades to simplified cliche. Like one poster above who equated the 80's with light frothy John Hughes movies and the 90's with dark violent QT films.

Well, the 80's had their share of dark twisted films...does the name David Lynch ring a bell? Blue Velvet? Wild at Heart? Elephant Man?

And I'm pretty sure the 90's had their fair share of light frothy teenage movies.

Doesn't something have to actually go away before you can miss 'em?

I swear it sometimes seems like the 80's and 90's have never left. It used to be there was a lag time before nostalgia kicked in...like how it wasn't until the early 70's(helped by American Graffiti) that there was a 50's revival.

Or the 1979-81 boom in all things Doors and 60's counterculture, which in turn led to the Paisley Underground.

But, now with the internet and the 24/7 news cycle and the shortening of attention spans, there seems to be a current of nostalgia running all the time.

I also love how people reduce whole decades to simplified cliche. Like one poster above who equated the 80's with light frothy John Hughes movies and the 90's with dark violent QT films.

Well, the 80's had their share of dark twisted films...does the name David Lynch ring a bell? Blue Velvet? Wild at Heart? Elephant Man?

And I'm pretty sure the 90's had their fair share of light frothy teenage movies.

Forgive us oh master of authenticity!!!! *bows weeping*

Big Hair was spewing out offspring like a rabbit from hell. Warrant should have been arrested. CC and Poison stunk worse than their Christian Dior namesake in a sweat suit. Even Guns N' Roses' Use Your Illusion I & II seemed to fall short on substance when I saw Smells Like Team Spirit on MTV's 120 Minutes that first Sunday night it played. Time stood still then ran backwards for a while before the dust settled.

That's why Nirvana will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility -- even though Alice In Chains had much more diversity, depth and color in their sound to represent the Grunge "moment." But we should keep in mind, Grunge was just a label the music journalists came up with to tag the Seattle phenoms and the natural progression of events unfolding at that time. I didn't want this to sound like a lecture, but... **takes sip of water from under podium** ...but I think someone had to say that.

Now, I'll open the floor for a few questions...

Whatever the genre name or else, the IMPORTANT THING IS THAT IT KICKED OUT THE YMCA/DISCO/DANCE CRAP OF THE 80S....FOR GOOD :):):)

Archived