Anyone Else Miss The 90's?

OutriderX

But I disagree with your point in every way - I don't think their success came from hype or image. I think their music is fantastic, and I wasn't tricked by fake credibility.

It is perfectly fine not to like a band - we can't all like the same stuff - but to completely misrepresent them is something else.

LOL! I wasn't talking about the 80's at all :lol: I was just trying to drive home the fact that music tastes are subjective and very very personal and it is up to the individual concerned to decide whether or not to look for new and note worthy stuff to listen to and the fact that a third person pretty much has no business to make judgements.

Personally, I have a couple of bands who are my absolute favourites who pretty much started out in the 80's like "The Bangles" and "Bon Jovi". I also love the work of bands like INXS from the 80's. I am sure your opinions are way different to mine, but hey, as the old saying goes "each to his own" ;)

And ummm....wasn't Saturday Night Fever a product of the 70's? A very nice product, if I may add :P Besides, since disco practically died in the 80's, that movie sure wouldn't have survived that decade! :lol:

In my earlier posts I mentioned The Bangles too....the INXS were OK (less their later 80s stuff):).......the WORST disc bargabe was created in the late 70s / early 80s, but got worse in the late 80s:):)

Yeah, I definitely miss the 90's, which were unequivocally one of the best periods in my life.

Yep, me 2........as I said before, I made the BEST $$$ in the 90s......can't see where some people made the $$$ in the 80s unless they were mafiosi, thieves or petty yuppies of the same kind that created the latest world/global crisis (starting in the U.S.A.)....sorry, BUT IF I COULD I WOULD WIPE THE 80s with all their FALSE moralisms right off the calendar :):):)

"Disco" didn't end in the 70s or 80s, it became what is now known as "Dance" music. Either way, it's not as though I've ever been forced to listen to it. The same thing goes for other types of music I'm not particularly into. That, to me doesn't make any one decade worse than another. There's always been some kind of music people don't care for. It's the same thing with the way people complain about teenybopper acts, they've always been around and always will be, no matter the decade. To this day, I still haven't heard a single note of Justin Bieber's music. That's not an active choice on my part, I simply don't listen to the type of stations that play his music nor do I go out of my way to listen to most music that would appeal to teens.

Yep, me 2........as I said before, I made the BEST $$$ in the 90s......can't see where some people made the $$$ in the 80s unless they were mafiosi, thieves or petty yuppies of the same kind that created the latest world/global crisis (starting in the U.S.A.)....sorry, BUT IF I COULD I WOULD WIPE THE 80s with all their FALSE moralisms right off the calendar :):):)

Yeah, the 80s were tough.

Forgive us oh master of authenticity!!!! *bows weeping*

Oh don't be so dramatic...and stop your weeping; this ain't the Miami Heat locker-room.

There was NO new music in the ruddy 80s......only Saturday Night Fever crap:):):)

I see...so then I must have HALLUCINATED Sonic Youth, The Swans, Big Black, Black Flag, X, Alley Cats, Cramps, Blasters, Gun Club, Southern Death Cult, Social Distortion, Descendents, Dead Kennedys, Flesh Eaters, Divine Horsemen, Circle Jerks, Fear, Flipper, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Melvins, Dinosaur Jr., Green River/Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Mekons, Feelies, XTC, R.E.M., Robyn Hitchcock/The Soft Boys, The Cure, Jesus & the Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, The Mighty Lemon Drops, My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3, Yo La Tengo, Pixies, Jane's Addiction, Thelonious Monster, 45 Grave, Fishbone, Busboys, Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs, Tex & the Horseheads, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Syndicate, Rain Parade, Opal, Kendra Smith, Bangles, Bad Brains, Steel Pulse, Public Enemy, Afrika Bambaataa, Beastie Boys, N.W.A., Run-DMC, Eric B. & Rakim, Steve Earle, Pogues, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Bauhaus, Crowded House, Kate Bush, Joan Jett, Go-Go's, Madonna, Prince, Husker Du, Replacements, House of Freaks, Violent Femmes, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Thomas Dolby, Gary Numan, Echo & the Bunnymen, U2, The Teardrop Explodes, Psychedelic Furs, Talk Talk, Human League, Yazoo, Depeche Mode, New Order, Nurse with Wound, The Smiths, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Iron Maiden, Guns 'n' Roses, Accept, Ministry, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sade, Peter Gabriel, Pere Ubu, the Fall, Cabaret Voltaire, Au Pairs, Altered Images, Pet Shop Boys, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, Cameo, Klaus Nomi, Wall of Voodoo, the db's, Concrete Blond, Mary's Danish, Southern Culture on the Skids, Chesterfield Kings, Oingo Boingo, Diamanda Galas, Lydia Lunch, Annie Lennox/Eurhythmics...and probably many more that I'm forgetting.

Not to mention Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, who both released records in the 80's.

Impressive list, Strider. I like/love a good many of those bands. However, a good many may have released/recorded an album in the 80s, but they're still 90s bands. A Sub-Pop release in '88 that nobody knew about until '95, doesn't count.

Impressive list, Strider. I like/love a good many of those bands. However, a good many may have released/recorded an album in the 80s, but they're still 90s bands. A Sub-Pop release in '88 that nobody knew about until '95, doesn't count.

Well, if I bought the record and saw the band at Raji's or Club Scream in the 80's, then they're an 80's band to me.

Well, if I bought the record and saw the band at Raji's or Club Scream in the 80's, then they're an 80's band to me.

I'm new, so I don't want to step on any toes... But, in the greater scheme of things, that seems a narrow point of view.

Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Melvins, Dinosaur Jr., Green River/Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3, Yo La Tengo, Pixies, Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers... There's plenty that were, in fact 80s bands, that ran counter to what the decade was about. Kudos to those who saw that.

"Disco" didn't end in the 70s or 80s, it became what is now known as "Dance" music.

Disco is a genre of dance music. Apparently, the 12th of June, 1979 became known as "the day disco died" in view of that "Disco Demolition Derby" in Comiskey Park, Chicago. Not quite sure how accurate this information actually is, but, I have indeed read about this in some places, although in books like "Turn The Beat Around : The Secret History Of Disco", Peter Shapiro insists that disco is alive and well but is now part of the underground scene. Not sure what's true but anyway, that book was a pretty cool read :)

Oh don't be so dramatic...and stop your weeping; this ain't the Miami Heat locker-room.

I see...so then I must have HALLUCINATED Sonic Youth, The Swans, Big Black, Black Flag, X, Alley Cats, Cramps, Blasters, Gun Club, Southern Death Cult, Social Distortion, Descendents, Dead Kennedys, Flesh Eaters, Divine Horsemen, Circle Jerks, Fear, Flipper, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Melvins, Dinosaur Jr., Green River/Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Mekons, Feelies, XTC, R.E.M., Robyn Hitchcock/The Soft Boys, The Cure, Jesus & the Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, The Mighty Lemon Drops, My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3, Yo La Tengo, Pixies, Jane's Addiction, Thelonious Monster, 45 Grave, Fishbone, Busboys, Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs, Tex & the Horseheads, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Syndicate, Rain Parade, Opal, Kendra Smith, Bangles, Bad Brains, Steel Pulse, Public Enemy, Afrika Bambaataa, Beastie Boys, N.W.A., Run-DMC, Eric B. & Rakim, Steve Earle, Pogues, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Bauhaus, Crowded House, Kate Bush, Joan Jett, Go-Go's, Madonna, Prince, Husker Du, Replacements, House of Freaks, Violent Femmes, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Thomas Dolby, Gary Numan, Echo & the Bunnymen, U2, The Teardrop Explodes, Psychedelic Furs, Talk Talk, Human League, Yazoo, Depeche Mode, New Order, Nurse with Wound, The Smiths, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Iron Maiden, Guns 'n' Roses, Accept, Ministry, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sade, Peter Gabriel, Pere Ubu, the Fall, Cabaret Voltaire, Au Pairs, Altered Images, Pet Shop Boys, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, Cameo, Klaus Nomi, Wall of Voodoo, the db's, Concrete Blond, Mary's Danish, Southern Culture on the Skids, Chesterfield Kings, Oingo Boingo, Diamanda Galas, Lydia Lunch, Annie Lennox/Eurhythmics...and probably many more that I'm forgetting.

Not to mention Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, who both released records in the 80's.

Yep, yOU sure hallucinated at least 70%.....as I said before, the majority of those bands listed here and others DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (and maybe just confused people!!!!) to improve or innovate music.....NOTHING!!!!!!...and NO, I won't excuse myself in advance if I step on someone's toes by saying this....tuff life isn't it??!!!:):):):):)

Yep, yOU sure hallucinated at least 70%.....as I said before, the majority of those bands listed here and others DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (and maybe just confused people!!!!) to improve or innovate music.....NOTHING!!!!!!...and NO, I won't excuse myself in advance if I step on someone's toes by saying this....tuff life isn't it??!!!:):):):):)

Who said any of those bands had to improve or innovate music?

I cannot understand how people can be a fan of such a musically open-minded group like Led Zeppelin, yet personally be so narrow-minded, musically. It's strange. It's almost like some of you don't care to enrich yourselves beyond the little sphere you stick to.

I can enjoy Frank Sinatra, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Rosemary Clooney and then turn around and listen to Mariah Carey, Sarah Brightman, and Goldfrapp. Innovation, largesse, status....those things don't interest me. Just whether something moves me. I don't care if the band has sold 300 million copies or 3,000 copies.

Another favorite from the 90s is Cracker who are still together all these years later. In fact, their frontman, David Lowery just released his first solo record, The Palace Guards. "Low" got most of the attention back in the 90s but they have tons of other great songs from that period, especially this one:

Popular culture in the 90s failed to captivate my interest. I loathed grunge rock more than anything else going on at the time.

On a personal level it was, in hindsight, an astonishingly exciting time for me and I miss many of the people I met whom are no longer part of my life. Many places I went have long since been demolished or changed not for better, which is a shame.

I see it as you listen to what you like, and you don't listen to what you don't like. All of those bands obviously appeal to someone, because they are selling records. :) I don't care enough about bands I don't care for to spend the energy shouting against them (even the dreaded Supertramp!) and would never wish to make people feel badly for liking them. It's very much to each their own. :beer:

Archived