Did Zeppelin fund the production of Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Or is it just a myth?

" In the early 1970's the Monty Python troop (Michael Palin, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, and Terry Jones) began producing, with the help of a fundraising concert headlined by Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, initial photography on what would later become the single most unforgivably sidesplitting, enormously irreverent, shrewdly perceptive, unremittingly uproariously aggressive, gruesomely hysterical, and endlessly quotable comedies EVER."

I have read that Led Zeppelin did help finance this movie and possibly other Monty Python movies.

Just a bit off topic but I think somewhat relevant. This may or may not be a little known fact, but Bonzo was in a little known movie released in 1974 titled, Son of Dracula, produced by Ringo Starr and released on the Apple label. Not as an actor but what he did best. Drumming.

You gotta love the internet (at least I do). I was able to see "our kid" in the very brief moments he was actually in this movie.

I have read that Led Zeppelin did help finance this movie and possibly other Monty Python movies.

Just a bit off topic but I think somewhat relevant. This may or may not be a little known fact, but Bonzo was in a little known movie released in 1974 titled, Son of Dracula, produced by Ringo Starr and released on the Apple label. Not as an actor but what he did best. Drumming.

You gotta love the internet (at least I do). I was able to see "our kid" in the very brief moments he was actually in this movie.

In post #2350 (posted April 12, 2009) of the Zeppelin Mysteries Thread I provided stills and a link to watch the complete Son Of Dracula film:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/308-zeppelin-mysteries-hosted-by-steve-a-jones/page__st__2320

In post #2819 (posted September 9, 2009) of the Zeppelin Mysteries Thread I provided a Monty Python anecdote concerning Led Zeppelin and Elvis Presley:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/308-zeppelin-mysteries-hosted-by-steve-a-jones/page__st__2800

Still seeking confirmation of the amount Swan Song Records contributed to the film as I cannot find my notes on this topic. The figure $160,000 (equivalent) comes to mind but I've learned long ago not to rely upon my memory.

Update: I show the film's budget was 150,000 GBP.

Or is it just a myth?

" In the early 1970's the Monty Python troop (Michael Palin, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, and Terry Jones) began producing, with the help of a fundraising concert headlined by Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, initial photography on what would later become the single most unforgivably sidesplitting, enormously irreverent, shrewdly perceptive, unremittingly uproariously aggressive, gruesomely hysterical, and endlessly quotable comedies EVER."

Grant and Page did contribute a portion of the funding, but it was business transaction. There was no fundraising concert headlined by Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

So there is not truth to the rumor that Peter Grant played the black knight (none shall pass) in the film? :lol:

I thought he played the head knight of the 'Knights that say Ni'? Or did they say Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm? He must really like his shrubbery! B)

In post #2819 (posted September 9, 2009) of the Zeppelin Mysteries Thread I provided a Monty Python anecdote concerning Led Zeppelin and Elvis Presley:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/308-zeppelin-mysteries-hosted-by-steve-a-jones/page__st__2800

Still seeking confirmation of the amount Swan Song Records contributed to the film as I cannot find my notes on this topic. The figure $160,000 (equivalent) comes to mind but I've learned long ago not to rely upon my memory.

Update: I show the film's budget was 150,000 GBP.

Don't have the book to hand...but from memory Michael Palins book states Zep put up £25,000 and Pink Floyd £20,000 ( or the other way around)

• 2 weeks later...

This is really interesting. I hope it is true because it would have been really nice of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and I'm also a big fan of Monty Python and the film. The film is actually my favourite comedy film and the funniest film I have seen. So Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd did contribute in the making of the film, so thanks for the contribution. :)

I have found this in trivia section on IMDb and only Pink Floyd is mentioned.

"Funds earned by Pink Floyd's album "The Dark Side of the Moon" went towards funding The Holy Grail. The band were such fans of the show they would halt recording sessions just to watch "Monty Python's Flying Circus" (1969)."

• 5 months later...

Michael palin's diaries confirms they put £25k into the film. Lovely bit where he says plant and page were standing together "almost shyly" at the backers party.

Thanks...my Palin book is buried so deep in my storage I haven't been able to get to it. So thanks for saving me the trouble and confirming my suspicians.

I'm pretty sure he mortaged his house at the time to raise funds for the movie.............or was that another Python movie?

You're thinking of The Life of Brian. Handmade Films was created by Harrison & his business manager in 1978 to rescue the Python production after EMI pulled out over the script. Apparently Harrison remortgaged his house to finance it. He got a

for his efforts.

• 5 months later...

Sky Arts have just shown an excellent 6-part Python documentary featuring interviews with all the remaining members, and Terry Giliian and one other both confirm that Zeppelin contributed financially to the production cost. Michael Palin comments on Zeppelin, saying that he was very pleased with the fact they didn't want any input, and were just happy to let Python get on with it. Terrific stuff.

Archived