Happy Birthday In Through The Out Door

afront.jpgA

Ah yes Zeppelins Eight and final album This one has not stood the test of time like the others but m'eh I love this one so much its not funny.

I know there are some fans here that dislike it but I for one love its diversity it sounds nothing like Zeppelin II or Zoso.

I think it was badly recieved by the fans because Presence was amazing and they were waiting for an album like that or Physical Graffiti.

So lets Celebrate Its 32nd Anniversery and To celebrate I'm going to listen to it And I suggest you do it too.

Great Lyrics(Carouslambra and All my Love come to mind)Great MUSIC(Fool in the rain and In the evening.

Whats your favorite track?For me its gotta be''I'm gonna Crawl''

Whats your favorite track? For me its gotta be''I'm gonna Crawl''

"Fool In The Rain" is my favorite song on ITTOD. The album as a whole isn't my favorite Zep disc, but it holds a special place in my heart. I got into Zep in '78 when I was 13, and ITTOD was the only studio album they released while I was into them and Bonzo was still alive. I still remember how psyched I was when the album was released, finally getting to hear a new album by my favorite band. The year after the release of that album was a great time, with the '80 tour of Europe and the planned tour of the States, until the excitement ended abruptly that terrible day in September of 1980.

I am not buying the fact this album was released August 15...maybe in the UK it was, but not in the U.S. I'll have to check my archives, but I could swear it was released on a Monday. KMET and/or KLOS had played the entire album the night before it went on sale, and I have memories of that being on a Sunday night, which would make the release date either August 13 or August 20.

I woke up early around 3 in the morning and went down to the Licorice Pizza across from the Tyler Mall in Riverside and camped out waiting for the store to open. I was first in line, and by the time the store opened there were about 50 people in line. I bought 2 copies of ITTOD and Queen's "Live Killers" double-album.

I'll let you know after I go through my files...I'm just going to need further proof before I believe August 15 was the date.

I am not buying the fact this album was released August 15...maybe in the UK it was, but not in the U.S. I'll have to check my archives, but I could swear it was released on a Monday. KMET and/or KLOS had played the entire album the night before it went on sale, and I have memories of that being on a Sunday night, which would make the release date either August 13 or August 20.

I woke up early around 3 in the morning and went down to the Licorice Pizza across from the Tyler Mall in Riverside and camped out waiting for the store to open. I was first in line, and by the time the store opened there were about 50 people in line. I bought 2 copies of ITTOD and Queen's "Live Killers" double-album.

I'll let you know after I go through my files...I'm just going to need further proof before I believe August 15 was the date.

Hi Strider- I responded to your post about this in the This Day in Zeppelin History thread & I'm pretty sure that ITTOD was released in the US on August 20th

A great album. Makes you wonder what the followup would have been.

In the Evening is a great track, Fool is great, I'm Gonna Crawl is so damned bluesy and wonderful, and what a solo Page pulls off on this one!!

Not a home run, but a great album still!

Strider, wow, you went home with a couple of amazing albums, Queen's live album was great!

afront.jpgA

Ah yes Zeppelins Eight and final album This one has not stood the test of time like the others but m'eh I love this one so much its not funny.

I know there are some fans here that dislike it but I for one love its diversity it sounds nothing like Zeppelin II or Zoso.

I think it was badly recieved by the fans because Presence was amazing and they were waiting for an album like that or Physical Graffiti.

So lets Celebrate Its 32nd Anniversery and To celebrate I'm going to listen to it And I suggest you do it too.

Great Lyrics(Carouslambra and All my Love come to mind)Great MUSIC(Fool in the rain and In the evening.

Whats your favorite track?For me its gotta be''I'm gonna Crawl''

Great album of course. I would hardly say that "it was badly recieved by the fans" as it went on to sell something like 4,000,000 copies in the United States alone in 1979 and stayed on the Billboard record charts at #1 for 7 weeks.

Led Zeppelin was a Band that always moved forward (Ever Onward) with each new album release. I get what you are trying to say, but, "Presence" and "Physical Graffiti" were albums of Led Zeppelin's past. Why would Led Zeppelin fans wait for albums like that when they already made those albums. "Presence" was Jimmy's album and "In Through the Out Door" was Jonesy's album. Maybe Their next album would have been Bonzo's. Too bad it had to end the way it did.

My favorite song from this album: "Carouselambra". Simply Majestic.

Great album of course. I would hardly say that "it was badly recieved by the fans" as it went on to sell something like 4,000,000 copies in the United States alone in 1979 and stayed on the Billboard record charts at #1 for 7 weeks.

Led Zeppelin was a Band that always moved forward (Ever Onward) with each new album release. I get what you are trying to say, but, "Presence" and "Physical Graffiti" were albums of Led Zeppelin's past. Why would Led Zeppelin fans wait for albums like that when they already made those albums. "Presence" was Jimmy's album and "In Through the Out Door" was Jonesy's album. Maybe Their next album would have been Bonzo's. Too bad it had to end the way it did.

My favorite song from this album: "Carouselambra". Simply Majestic.

Looking on the internet it seems that there are a lot of narrow minded fans.

I love Carouslambra aswell but it would be better if I could hear what plant was sayingtongue.gif

Looking on the internet it seems that there are a lot of narrow minded fans.

I never knew so many Zeppelin fans thought so poorly of it until I found this board in it's earlier incarnation circa 2002. Their opinions of it haven't changed mine one iota, I still believe it to be one of Zeppelin's finest moments and it remains one of my very favorite albums of theirs.

I don't mind the album as such but it has the feeling of the band meandering into the eighties with not much direction. A bit like the ship which lost it's skipper. Page was in an awfully bad state. It wasn't actually well received in the UK if i remember. Maybe on the backlash the band received after Knebworth, where they were brilliant, and the way the music scene was changing generally in the UK. I'm not dissing the album here. I remember In The Evening & Carousambla being terrific but on the whole not a patch on Presence and certainly no where near as good as any of their previous albums. I understand the way the band evolved from the bluesy/folksy start to the bombastic rock we all enjoy but it just didn't hit me the way Custard Pie did when i first heard it. As an afterthought I will give it another listen and see what happens. I mean it is more than likely 20 years ago since I did !

Alot of people think that Led Zeppelin is just the usual heavy hard rock band. Their direction was to play all different genres, with the Zeppelin touch to it. I can understand, back in the day when ITTOD came out, fans were expecting what they heard on the past 8 albums, but with Bonham's drinking problems, Pagey fighting heroin, and Plant sad about his son, Jonsey had to take over. I think I heard that in this period he wanted to leave the band. But this album, at the time, was the best they could do. And besides, this is THE album for JPJ fans.

In the evening was A great opening.

But the best way to end it was with a blues song I'm Gonna Crawl!.

I have to say The best opening to any zeppelin album was The Song Remains The Same IMO.

Also ChillumPuffer it seems in my eyes that they lost the leader(Page)And so the co-Pilot took over(Jonesy)

Thing is, back when this was released I knew nothing of what was going on behind the scenes with the band (aside from the death of Plant's son), I just listened to it for what it was and immensely enjoyed it. Still do despite now knowing more about what was going on with the band members' personal lives.

Yes, I remember when that album came out. It was an awesome album. JPJ created amazing arrangements and took pretty much control of the studio work along with Plant. Page and Bonham were struggling with addictions at the time and that era was probably the darkest days of Zeppelin along with the cancellation of the last dates of the 77 tour. Who knew it was going to be the end a year from then. It is still a great fucking album and does stand the test of time!

This was actually the first Zeppelin album I ever bought. I was just starting high school in the Fall of 1979 and the first time I heard In The Evening, that was what first started getting me into Zeppelin. Although, I knew Stairway, something about this song did it for me. It was probably Jimmy's solo! It isn't one of my top Zeppelin songs, but just got me into the band. I actually like Caroulselambra and I'm Gonna Crawl more. Those are the songs for me from this album. :D

I was always a bit disappointed in the album. Actually a lot at the time of its initial release. Pity that "Wearing and Tearing" and "Darlene" weren't issued on it originally. Those two tunes would have made a nice contrast to the rest of it......but you can't change history.

I became a Zeppelin fan only about a month before ITTOD was released- I heard Kashmir & that was it for me, I had to hear more of their music! I bought Physical Graffiti & practically played it to death, so I was really excited that Zeppelin was releasing a new album shortly.

The morning of its release, I woke up & immediately turned on the radio, flipping between all the rock stations (Long Island, NYC & CT)- and of course they were all playing something from the new album.

And I'm ashamed to admit- I did not like what I heard. I was very disappointed. However, one long song intrigued me..... Carouselambra.

Over the next couple of weeks, with more & more airplay, the songs started growing on me...... and then I just had to go out & get it!

Happy Birthday ITTOD! :thumbsup:

I think that the whole Jimmy and Bonham were too wasted theme is a little over played.

It think the situation falls more along the lines of ITTOD not being the album that Page and Bonham wanted to release so more control was given to Jones and Plant.

If you look at it, Jimmy brought 5 songs to the session that did not make it on the album so he provided more than enough contribution to the writing for that album.

Plug Jimmy did produce and mix the album.

Looking at the fact that their is a lot of keyboards on the album, JPJ has stated the reason for that was prior to the sessions for that album he had purchased a new high tech Yamaha keyboard that he was into. Also I wouldn't be so certain that all of it was keyboard. Around this time Jimmy became very interested in guitar synth. His next album would be completely filled with it. I own a Roland GR-33 guitar synth which has the full historic sounds available on it and I've noticed that a lot of the older sounds are similar to what is heard on ITTOD. (the Roland GR-500 was released in 1977 and Jimmy Page owns/owned one.) Jimmy was also very reluctant at the time to state publicly what equipment he was using.

If you listen to the song "Who's to Blame" off of the Death Wish II album, The song except for a vocals sounds like it would fit nicely on ITTOD, The song is laden with synthesizers yet it has no keyboards on it. Just Guitar Synth.

Now Jimmy may have very well been down at the pub getting wasted, but I think that is more of a situation of giving Robert his space and letting JPJ exert himself more ( Robert and Jimmy have stated and more recent interviews that they always tried to get more out of JPJ in terms of writing material.)

BY 1982 Jimmy Page was surely worse off in terms of health and substance abuse than late 1978 but even then he was able to put together Coda and even more so The Soundtrack to Death Wish II.

The Soundtrack to Death Wish II was written and recorded in only a few weeks. according to Michael Winner (the films director and Jimmy Page's neighbor) Jimmy agreed to do the soundtrack but his terms dictated that he be left alone to work on it. The Producers of the film felt this would be a mistake given Page's condition. Michael Winner took responsiblty and gave Page the job. Michael Winner described what he got back as the most professionally written film score he had ever received.

Jimmy has stated in interview that he thought that All My Love was a little too soft for A Led Zeppelin song and the he let Robert have his way because of what he was dealing with, Both he and Bonham felt that for the follow up to ITTOD would be a return to a harder more driving sound.

As for the Album I really like ITTOD. I think it deserves a spot alongside any other LZ album. "In the Evening", "All of My Love", and "Fool in the Rain" are all iconic Led Zeppelin Staples. " I'm Gonna Crawl " is one of my favorites and in my mind forms a Blues Trilogy ( Zeppelin authored ) between "Since I've Been Loving You", "Tea for One", and " I'm Gonna Crawl ".

Carouselambra Is a great song, although the second half of the song feels a little dated to me, but is the only part of the album that feels dated.

"Hot Dog" and "South Bound Saurez" Fill out the album in a very diverse fashion.

To me I think of ITTOD as the sister album to HOTH. Both are very diverse in musical style as well as instrumentation. Although ITTOD is a little darker in tone, it does have it moments of upbeat and humor that is found throughout HOTH.

Previously Led Zeppelin was defined by a Heavy Les Paul laden sound. If you listen to the bootleg song "Fire" from the 1978 Clearwell Castle rehearsals then listen to "In the Evening" and "Kashmir" from Knebworth. Add in the fact that Jimmy Page's guitar solo was taking place on a Stratocastor now. You'll find that Jimmy was changing the sound of Zeppelin to something that could have been very successful in the 80's. He was creating a more airy melodic strat sound that was ahead of it's time.

He created the sound of U2 and other alternative rock ahead of it's time. Listening to the song "Fire" it sounds like a heavier form of U2 (musically anyway) ( actually kinda like "I will Follow" specifically and U2 as a whole in general.

Led Zeppelin was rounding the corner and think that could have made it.

Mix together Pictures at Eleven and Death Wish II and then add a heavy ass kickin' rhythm section then I think you might have something great.

Archived